Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2022 4:19:13 PM EDT
Who you call family is about respect in relationships.

Relationships that are blood-related or not. Welcomed or not. Tolerated or not. No family is perfect and there are limits to "family" which will cause individuals a need to avoid the blood of family due to trauma, abuse, neglect, boundaries, fundamental disagreements, lack of respect, and value conflict. All of these factors will cause one to redefine family, and rightfully so. You do not have to feel guilty, you have your reasons, and you are validated in this alone. You owe no one an explanation or reason.

What makes a family is more. Much more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree. I have a very large family and very few are blood.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife's family is still my family and I would do anything for them even though she has been gone for almost four years now.
Talk to my MIL every couple of weeks to let her know how I am dong and get updates on the rest of her kids.
She is 96 and still sharp as a tack.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Friends you can choose, family you are stuck with.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who you call family is about respect in relationships.

Relationships that are blood-related or not. Welcomed or not. Tolerated or not. No family is perfect and there are limits to "family" which will cause individuals a need to avoid the blood of family due to trauma, abuse, neglect, boundaries, fundamental disagreements, lack of respect, and value conflict. All of these factors will cause one to redefine family, and rightfully so. You do not have to feel guilty, you have your reasons, and you are validated in this alone. You own no one an explanation or reason.

What makes a family is more. Much more.
View Quote

Amen

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife's family is still my family and I would do anything for them even though she has been gone for almost four years now.
Talk to my MIL every couple of weeks to let her know how I am dong and get updates on the rest of her kids.
She is 96 and still sharp as a tack.
View Quote

Yes. I am sorry about your wife. So sorry. Enjoy your family!
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're half right.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Some around this time have feelings of guilt for a need to go no contact. Please know that those who need to, do so with reason.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're half right.
View Quote

Depends on what "stuck" means. This thread is not about tolerating aunt Edna's jello. It's about fundamentally damaged relationships for a host of reasons.

Tolerance is not a one-way street, and eventually, the tolerable becomes intolerable without respect which is the basis for relationships of all types.

Having the courage to separate on good moral terms and reasons is the hard part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top