Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2022 4:05:40 PM EDT
I've heard stories of shops not bothering to change the oil filters and just changing the oil. How long can those filters last until something goes bad?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
But why?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But why?
View Quote

Thieves, I had that happen when I got an oil change on vacation.  It was going to be a 1k trip back and I stopped at one of those quick oil changes. Got home to see the original filter, they did change the oil though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Inexpensive filters rule of thumb is 3k, higher quality 6k. Usually synthetic oils are changed in the 6k area requiring a better filter.

Using a cheap filter and the 6k change frequency isn't recommended.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Inexpensive filters rule of thumb is 3k, higher quality 6k. Usually synthetic oils are changed in the 6k area requiring a better filter.

View Quote
sounds like your information is stuck in the 90s
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember reading an old manual that recommended changing the oil ever 3k and the filter every 6. The dirtier the filter, the better it cleans. As long as you are maintaining oil pressure, I don't see a problem. (Of course I change my filters every oil change)
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy good synthetic oil and filters on sale/clearance whenever I find them - just changed my oil this morning at 8500 miles and that is probably honestly earlier than it needs to be - never done an oil analysis though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A magazine at most.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends upon the filter.  Mesh-backed, synthetic filtes can go 20, 25k miles.  Fram XP line, for example. I run them  3 x 7,500 OCI for a total of 21,500 miles.  No problem, they come out looking fine - I’ve dissected a few.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
i buy OEM filters by the case for $5/filter.

the oil costs far more than the filter so why not change the filter?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A magazine at most.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hasnt been like that since the 80s! In 1986 nissan had 7000 mile oil change intervals on their pickups.

I change the filter every time I do an oil change. Some say you can do a filter every other oil change so that 20K miles in a modern car using standard 10K change intervals assuming not towing, driving it hard or in traffic all the time. All the things that are considered severe duty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a question about oil changes. I go by the dummy oil change light.
That said on my truck I might drive it 3200 miles a year or 266 miles a month. I the truck is a 2017 I bought used in 2018 with just 17k miles on it  and have about 33k miles on it now. It looked brand new and was still under warranty at the time. It's garage kept also.  I use mobile1 100% synthetic oil and always a high grade filter.

So if I drive only 3200 miles a year do I change my oil once a year and ignore the oil change indicator. I do not haul anything anymore just local driver 95% of time. I have a 30 something gal gas tank and one tank of fuel will last me about 3 months. I usually fill up at a 1/4 tank sometimes 1/2 tank, that's how little I drive it
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked for an outfit that only replaced the filters and topped off the oil. Old school and cheap!

Myself, filter and oil together each interval.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember reading an old manual that recommended changing the oil ever 3k and the filter every 6. The dirtier the filter, the better it cleans. As long as you are maintaining oil pressure, I don't see a problem. (Of course I change my filters every oil change)
View Quote

Back in the day, 1970's, it was common in my AO to change just the oil every 3,000 and the oil & filter every other time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If a filter gets clogged the bypass will open, and you get not filter.

Honestly.. older vehicles didn't filter the oil. Many engines in commercial and hard duty use do not have oil filters.

If you buy a quality filter, 5K-7K is normal. Wix or OEM filters. Long drain interval filters can be had for 25K or once a year for not much more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I change my filter every other oil change, then after that it goes on my lawn tractor.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've heard stories of shops not bothering to change the oil filters and just changing the oil. How long can those filters last until something goes bad?
View Quote

Like many things, the answer is "it depends"

Filters vary in how much capacity for filtration they have. If you are buying a filter made with synthetic fibers that have a lot of reserve capacity designed to go for 10,000 mile or more changes but you are changing your oil at 3,000 miles for some reason, then keeping the filter makes sense.

For practically any other scenario it really doesn't because filters are cheap and they need to flow and filter to protect the engine.

In older times where oils didn't perform nearly as well and filters were relatively expensive it might have made sense. Not really anymore, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I change my filter every other oil change, then after that it goes on my lawn tractor.
View Quote

The oil or filter?

Either way, it seems a lot cheaper to just use fresh for the mower, and so much more an actual tractor. The cost of that equipment is enough that the oil should be quality.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Filters vary in how much capacity for filtration they have. If you are buying a filter made with synthetic fibers that have a lot of reserve capacity designed to go for 10,000 mile or more changes but you are changing your oil at 3,000 miles for some reason, then keeping the filter makes sense.

For practically any other scenario it really doesn't because filters are cheap and they need to flow and filter to protect the engine.

In older times where oils didn't perform nearly as well and filters were relatively expensive it might have made sense. Not really anymore, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

But some pictures to help:

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The oil or filter?

Either way, it seems a lot cheaper to just use fresh for the mower, and so much more an actual tractor. The cost of that equipment is enough that the oil should be quality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The oil or filter?

The filter goes on the tractor the used oil gets used for bar oil in my stihl chain saw.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a question about oil changes. I go by the dummy oil change light.
That said on my truck I might drive it 3200 miles a year or 266 miles a month. I the truck is a 2017 I bought used in 2018 with just 17k miles on it  and have about 33k miles on it now. It looked brand new and was still under warranty at the time. It's garage kept also.  I use mobile1 100% synthetic oil and always a high grade filter.

So if I drive only 3200 miles a year do I change my oil once a year and ignore the oil change indicator. I do not haul anything anymore just local driver 95% of time. I have a 30 something gal gas tank and one tank of fuel will last me about 3 months. I usually fill up at a 1/4 tank sometimes 1/2 tank, that's how little I drive it
View Quote

Ignore the indicator. Modern oils are much more oxidatively stable than the old days.  WAY more.  I have a truck I drive even less than that, I leave the Mobil 1 10w-30HM in until miled out.  I’ve also run used oil analysis on good synthetic oil used like this (through WIX labs) - it’s been gtg.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I run 2 oil filters to 1 oil change. Always have. At approx 5000 miles I change filter, add 1 quart, then go another 3000. Mobile 1. Multiple vehicles for over 25 years. I know this strategy works.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember reading an old manual .......The dirtier the filter, the better it cleans....................................
View Quote

There you have it, the best of GD.
Any of you youngsters hanging around here, take notes.
Write em down on real paper, so you can refer  back when this here Internet thing goes tits.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
If I didn't change the filter every time, I wouldn't remember if I changed it last time or not.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad always changed the filter every other oil change.
I'm convinced the internet thinks to much about oil and filters. Neither of them is magical. They are just maintenance items.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Every other oil change.

It’s a PITA to get at, and creates a shower of oil when it drops off the threads. If I can reduce that experience by 50% without ill effects, I’m in
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Every other oil change.

It’s a PITA to get at, and creates a shower of oil when it drops off the threads. If I can reduce that experience by 50% without ill effects, I’m in
View Quote

If it's that bad, you can poke a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it before you pull it off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to cut open my oil filters.  One cheap one had burst the media, and that was even on a 5k change.  I don't buy cheap filters anymore.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
A friend of mine got lazy, and just drained and changed oil, left on the Fram filter. The inner cardboard element came loose the shop that did the engine repair said, I can't remember the extent of the damage, its been almost 10 years. A Toyota Rav4.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I change my Wix filters out at 10k miles. Synthetic OCI at 5k miles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#31]
It lasts the life of the oil it was put in with.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true, makes the filter more efficient at trapping and filtering out dirt in your oil
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Sixties this was common practice.   You had to ask for “lube, oil AND filter”.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#34]
It really depends on how long your barrel is, and whether you're using supers or subs.

…wait, what were you guys talking about?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#35]
New filter with Mobil 1 every 3000 miles on all the vehicles I have ever owned. Over 50 trucks, cars etc. and I've never lost a motor. I'm not changing anything. Same for my mower, welder, CanAm and anything else I own. Genny in the motorhome gets the same treatment every 50 hours. Whole house Kohler gets the same treatment unless we have a long power outage and then its 48 hour run time intervals. 3000 miles is the same as 50 hours at 60 mph for practical use,
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#36]
My buddy says:

"Canton-Mecca filters can last forever, if taken care of."

Me?

An oil filter is only like 20 bucks...doesn't kill ya to replace it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I worked for an outfit that only replaced the filters and topped off the oil. Old school and cheap!

Myself, filter and oil together each interval.
View Quote

this is what I remember.
buddy of mine told me army trucks get treated that way. only a filter change and top off any missing oil. every other interval they change both.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Oil with filter always. OEM filters are cheap, never crossed my mind to not change filter with oil.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I run 2 oil filters to 1 oil change. Always have. At approx 5000 miles I change filter, add 1 quart, then go another 3000. Mobile 1. Multiple vehicles for over 25 years. I know this strategy works.
View Quote

Years ago oil engineer was telling me about this. Better to change the filter then the oil (to a point) it was common in the diesel commercial space if I recall right??
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Change the oil, and filter. Don't skimp on filters.
Filters will work till they go into bypass mode, then you got nothing. You also never know when they go into bypass mode.

Oil threads are fun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Just find one of them big ass giant boat engine filters thats fits and never change it
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Fram Ultra is good for a long while but why risk it? They are $10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top