Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2022 2:27:51 PM EDT
I’m gonna buy a new 75” smart tv, I usually get Vizio. I had a Samsung 6 years ago and the interface was garbage so I’m hesitant to get one of those.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my TCL Roku TV a lot.  The interface is easy enough and the only screwups it gets are when Roku updates something, in which case a quick reboot (remove power) works every time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't allow your TV to connect to the wifi under any circumstances, use a Firestick instead.

ETA: Have several Samsung TVs which are great as long as you follow the advice above.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't allow your TV to connect to the wifi under any circumstances, use a Firestick instead.

ETA: Have several Samsung TVs which are great as long as you follow the advice above.
View Quote

ok I give up, Why?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have three Samsungs and three Roku TVs at my home.

I have Two more Roku TVs (TCL) at our second home.

What's easiest?  Roku.

The TCL Class 5 and Class 6 models are pretty good for the price.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Roku
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, only use video game consoles to run apps because all smart TV interfaces suck
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Listen to this man. When my parents got a new Samsung TV installed I foolishly connected it to their wifi. Constant popups for random shit and updates. I ended up taking it off of the network and doing a factory reset.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fire stick interface blows.

Roku is better in my opinion….a lot less shitty ads on the Home Screen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I use at my cabin to stream from Starlink. It's pretty straightforward, menu wise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roku

That's what I use at my cabin to stream from Starlink. It's pretty straightforward, menu wise.

Yup its very clean, easy to use and very responsive.
That's pretty much all you need out of a TV interface.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Normally $70, on sale for $30 through Walmart. Choice of TV won’t matter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than roku TVs I've never seen a TV OS that I particularly cared for.

I use an nvidia shield but now i use a custom launcher since they started shoving ads in my face, so it loses now too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I had fire sticks. Moved to Roku and have enjoyed them. However I wanted to utilize my new echo studios I bought so I have been waiting on the FireTv 75 to go on sale. It’s not the best at only 60Hz but for what I’m going to use it for it will be best.

I have a 65inch Hisense Roku TV in my office as my 3rd monitor / television and I have really enjoyed it. Really nice not having butt holes walk around my office desk to look at my computer screen.

If it wasn’t for the new speakers I bought I would probably say roku. Hell I may still be saying that after dropping 1k on this tv Monday. Who knows.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
None. Get Roku, Apple TV, or another.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Roku has the best. It's snappy, simple, and intuitive.  Android is garbage. Slow and counterintuitive to use.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
After owning 3 Roku TVs (2 TCLs and a Hisense), I bought a Sony Bravia a couple of weeks ago. It's just as easy and intuitive as the Roku based TVs and it's optimized for my PS5. Happy so far.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Other than roku TVs I've never seen a TV OS that I particularly cared for.

I use an nvidia shield but now i use a custom launcher since they started shoving ads in my face, so it loses now too.
View Quote

I will say I have three Shields.  I don't use them for initial interface.  They are great though--if you do some tinkering and have a Kodi build.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Sony is the best, powered by Android TV.    It's fast and can be mostly customized to remove ads and other crap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
apple tv 4k /thread
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting thread.

We had a 4 year old 65" Samsung, interface was ok.

Yesterday we picked up a Samsung, 75" QN95B. Damn that's a TV!!!

Interface has been updated and probably pretty easier to use. We've got the Roku but probably won't be hooking it up.

I'd recommend going to BestBuy and trying the interfaces directly on the new generation of tvs.

ymmv and hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
It doesn't matter what the TV is if yo can get a good enough deal on it. Just get the TV box of your choice and plug it in. I like the $20 Walmart ONN box the best of the all. It is plenty fast enough, is mostly just android, has very little bloat and hard to believe, NO Walmart crap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Sony. Fantastic electronics inside, fantastic interface, I gots three of them (one 77" OLED.)
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting thread.

We had a 4 year old 65" Samsung, interface was ok.

Yesterday we picked up a Samsung, 75" QN95B. Damn that's a TV!!!

Interface has been updated and probably pretty easier to use. We've got the Roku but probably won't be hooking it up.

I'd recommend going to BestBuy and trying the interfaces directly on the new generation of tvs.

ymmv and hope this helps.

View Quote

I always feel bad going to Best Buy and trying the stuff out then coming home and buying it somewhere else and then I remember what cunts they were when they had the market cornered and I’m over it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

All tv “interfaces” are garbage.  

Use firestick, android box or anything you choose and make your “interface” whatever you want it to be.  

All I need from a tv is good picture and couple hdmi connections.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ok I give up, Why?
View Quote

I'm curious about this as well. I have three Samsung smart TVs. All are connected to wifi network through the TV interface and work flawlessly. Samsung TV included is good and any of the other streaming channels I use is a button push away. I don't see the need to hook up a Roku or Fire stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top