BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ever eat hot dogs, sausage, or hamburger.
View Quote

I use ground sirloin, never buy mystery meat hotdogs. Bob Evans uses only premium cuts of pork in their sausage. I use it for that reason and that it is leaner. I never have to drain the fat off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Old people food
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Yelp to search for restaurants that have liver and onions, that's how much I like it. I only order it a few times per year though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My mother's father (born 1915) loved liver & onions.

I (born 1972) didn't like liver until my 30's, although I don't care for the onions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I like beef cheek. Barbacoa yum yum :P

I understand the nutrition afforded by livers but it’s just not something I go out of my way to eat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
My Mom, an actual boomer, loved it. She forced us to eat it as kids. I will never touch that crap again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Beef liver is the most disgusting food on the planet.  

My uncle used to bring my grandmother grillades to cook, now some of you will think that is pork roast or butt meat, but in central Louisiana Cajun country these are pig hearts, liver, kidneys and stomach....and she would stew that down and make a gravy.  I would literally throw up from the smell.  It was disgusting.  

Organ meat is the worst meat you can eat....might as well open up a used Fram filter, brown it in a skillet and eat it.

I like hogs head cheese but only from one store in Chalmette, LA...he uses only pork butt for the cheese and it taste great.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad is a boomer, I'm 51, never even heard of it until people started saying it's a boomer food.

Either it's made up internet shit or it's a regional thing.

I've had liver before and didn't like the texture, but that was probably 40 years ago when there were a lot of things I didn't like(as a kid) and like now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Ugh, my mom used to get that crap from Furr's Cafeteria. Never touched the stuff myself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

McDonald’s uses culls for everything. Have you ever seen the videos of cattle or hogs too sick or weak to get up so they get drug around with the bobcat?

That’s the meat that you get at most fast food places. It costs pennies since the animals should have been euthanized and buried in the compost pile a month before getting winched onto a truck.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure that’s bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My mom loves that garbage. It is disgusting.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I like deer heart. Pan fried or pan fried and pickled.
View Quote

Muscle meat is fine.

Heart, bird gizzards are good. Guts aren't good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We split a cow with some friends and no-one wanted the liver, so we took it.
I made it for my dad following his mom's recipe from the farm. He enjoyed it but no-one under 65 liked it.
He said it was as good as Shoney's when they made it. My wife and kids asked...whats a Shoney's?

My kids (9 and 11) hated it, I didn't care for it.
All the other cuts are phenominal.
View Quote

OP grew up in the city without saying he grew up in the city.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a Boomer, but was raised by depression era grandparents.

Don't care much for liver and onions.

That said, I'll destroy a liver wurst and onion sandwich...add a little thin sliced cheddar and some mayo please
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I always loved it, was an enemic kid and the doctor told my mom to feed me beef liver at least once a week and I acquired a taste for it immediately.
Plus it cured my anemia after about 2 months. It's full or iron.

Don't make it much these days just because fresh calf liver is rarely available.
It's great with mashed potatoes and baked beans !
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Liver and onions is fucking nasty.  Liver is so nasty by cooking it with onions your trying to cover up the disgusting liver flavor but the onions just dont have what it takes. ????
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Most people dont cook liver properly, especially not boomers.

Put bacon on thick slices of it and broil to medium rare.

No frying, no flour.

I cook turkey/chicken liver in a pan of melted butter slow and low. That is the best way.

Shitty cooking mean most wont like it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gross.
View Quote

I'd go vegetarian before I ate animal organs. Just not for me. Probably more of a mental thing. I had liverwurst as a kid and remembered liking it, but no more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Anyone that complains about the smell of cooked liver should get a whiff of kidneys when they're cooking.
Sweetbreads look interesting, been eyeing them for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beef liver, chicken, pork liver, tongue, tripe, heart, brain, all delicious. Oh yeah, forgot to add thymus glands...and kidneys.

Just gotta know how to prepare them.

Anyone that complains about the smell of cooked liver should get a whiff of kidneys when they're cooking.
Sweetbreads look interesting, been eyeing them for a while.

Veal sweetbreads are good. They’re very, very mild compared to liver. The texture is pleasantly soft like the inside of a mc nugget.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll eat liver over tide pods

I'll eat ass over liver

My in laws 50th anniversary we were invited to one of his buddies house (Ethiopia), a retired general "known for his meats". We arrived to a huge spread. I picked through what I knew, and got one fucking thing I didn't know that looked fantastic. It tasted better than it looked. Wife volunteered to go get me more, I should have known better. Tongue

She still jokes about it, I still give her the same face, one of these days Alice, BAM, right to the moon
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll eat liver over tide pods

I'll eat ass over liver

My in laws 50th anniversary we were invited to one of his buddies house (Ethiopia), a retired general "known for his meats". We arrived to a huge spread. I picked through what I knew, and got one fucking thing I didn't know that looked fantastic. It tasted better than it looked. Wife volunteered to go get me more, I should have known better. Tongue

She still jokes about it, I still give her the same face, one of these days Alice, BAM, right to the moon
View Quote

Moose liver is where it's at !
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#23]
thats just nasty food !
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I’d have to be starving
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Liver is good for you, stop being a pussy and eat it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I enjoyed it as a kid.  Early millennial.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL at all the tards that think beef liver is gross but line up around the block to buy a McRib.

Liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods there is.
View Quote

Swing and a miss. The mcrib is also garbage
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL at all the tards that think beef liver is gross but line up around the block to buy a McRib.

Liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods there is.
View Quote

Right up there with bird gizzards and porcine entrails
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gross.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Liver is gross.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#31]
My parents were korean war era & loved liver & onions.

None of us kids ever ate it
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#32]
My 49 year old husband loves it.  He made some night before last and our 15 year old (other kids weren't home) liked it too.  I live with weirdos.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Liver from an adult cow? Waste of onions.

Veal liver? That's much better stuff. Especially if a German chef makes it with spaetzle.  

If you want a treat today, pan fry the turkey liver in butter for about a minute and a half on each side. if you don't like it, the cat will.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti - "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991)
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Old people food
View Quote

I used to hate that shite when I was a kid in the 1960’s!
I guess the older gen got used to eating scraps during the Great Depression.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#36]
It's the texture that hits me like a baseball bat.  I just can't take the texture.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I didn't like it until I started working out and becoming more health conscious then I found out what a superfood it was... My wife found a recipe that involves marinating in milk before frying it up. It's very good.

I'm 37
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#38]
My Depression survivor Mom would make it every once in awhile.

I would come home from school and walk in the house and there would be this amazing smell of something frying.  I would think we were getting something great for supper like fried steak or pork chops.

However, at supper time it be that goddamn liver and onions.  Smelled great but tasted like shit.  Of course my parents being raised during the Depression made me eat it because they couldn't waste any food, doncha know?

This is one Boomer that hates that shit and my Boomer wife does also.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's bad. Y'all old. We have better food now but there's no option for that...
View Quote

Better? Depends upon your way of looking at it. Liver is REALLY good for you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's bad. Y'all old. We have better food now but there's no option for that...
View Quote

Better? Depends upon your way of looking at it. Liver is REALLY good for you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm a boomer - I can't stand that shit, and it isn't allowed in my house.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm a millennial, I like liver, and organ meat in general. Have cooked it a few times but my family will not eat it
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I like it. I'm 38.

I did a good job on the liver of my deer this year. I soaked it in apple cider vinegar and milk overnight. Breaded it then fried it. Came out great.

While I do like it, I don't really want to eat it multiple days in a row. The rest is in the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Had it a few times in US but not as good as UK version which comes with rich gravy.

Good food. Full of protien.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#46]
The only person I've ever known that ate that stuff was my grandmother.

Her kids were Boomers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I like it, but its easy to fuck up. Overcooked is a c hair from undercooked. There are better livers out there. Foie gras, livermush, fried chicken livers with white gravy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#48]
My dad had a rule eat what is served or go hungry, on liver nights I choose to go hungry.  My mother who is 70 loves liver and onions.  She’s the only one I know who does.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah my Dad used to do liver and I always hated it, so metallic tasting, like sucking on a coin
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top