Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/24/2022 2:08:30 AM EDT
We split a cow with some friends and no-one wanted the liver, so we took it.
I made it for my dad following his mom's recipe from the farm. He enjoyed it but no-one under 65 liked it.
He said it was as good as Shoney's when they made it. My wife and kids asked...whats a Shoney's?

My kids (9 and 11) hated it, I didn't care for it.
All the other cuts are phenominal.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but because of their depression era parents.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I love that shit but seems few others do local truck stop has great liver and onions
I have it about once a month
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Gross.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My grandparents, whose kids were boomers, made liver and onions.  I never liked it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to cook and eat liver once.  Wasn't a fan of the texture but I think I cooked it wrong.  I should probably get some dessicated beef liver capsules though.  I was taking some that had a mixture of organs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
It's one of the dishes my mom would force me to eat as a kid, under threat of "la chancla". That, and blood sausage

I guess palates change, 'cause now I do enjoy a good liver and onions taco every now and then.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s depression era food.  Liver and organ meats in general are disgusting.  Especially those used in the digestion process.  The one exception I make is beef heart because anticuchos.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Nope. Its super popular here, but here is all Latino food and they make awesome liver and onions.

Columbian places do it the best. They actually cook it until the edges are crispy, not pale gray floppy gross shit Americans make.  Not a single Boomer in them eating it. All Gen X and younger
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My mom told me that when I was a kid we ate liver because it was $.09/lb.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s a Greatest Generation or older food, both my boomer parents hated it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
the only people i've known that liked beef liver were boomers or their parents.

pork liver, on the other hand, is delicious.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, if it tasted bad, you probably bought an alcoholic cow.

If you buy a beef out of Utah it will be much nicer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the taste. Beef liver, chicken liver. It's all good.

As far as boomer food, my son, 24, likes it. You either like it, or you don't.

Don't like it? Don't eat it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It's bad. Y'all old. We have better food now but there's no option for that...
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]
No, you're a generation too late. We're the generation that was forced to eat it every once and a while.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]
My parents had it occasionally,I think it was at my dads request,the smell of it cooking made me physically ill to the point of dry heaves. My mom would make me a bologna samich and mac &cheese and let me eat it in the living room on a TV tray.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I never knew a single person in my very late boomer age group that voluntarily ate it.

Nobody ever ordered it, and except for the occasional crackpot thinking back to his mom's food, everyone was repulsed by the thought of it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Must have bacon with it. ;-)
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had it cooked really well, and understood why someone else *might* like it, but I don't ever want it again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL at all the tards that think beef liver is gross but line up around the block to buy a McRib.

Liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods there is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#22]
This boomer doesn’t like it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:00:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL at all the tards that think beef liver is gross but line up around the block to buy a McRib.

Liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods there is.
View Quote

The McRib is just sausage patty meat with different seasoning formed into fake ribs and covered in sauce. If the McRib is gross, so are Sausage McMuffins (NOT gross).

Liver looks fine and the organ its made from doesn't gross me out.

The flavor does.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a fan but I’d eat it if I had to. Beef tongue, on the other hand, is delicious.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Calf liver is better and it needs some bacon along with the onions.  Soak in milk a few hours to O/N before putting in the flour to milden it up more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Beef liver, chicken, pork liver, tongue, tripe, heart, brain, all delicious. Oh yeah, forgot to add thymus glands...and kidneys.

Just gotta know how to prepare them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#27]
It's at least a Depression -era dish and more likely dates back further to one of the main immigrant groups of the 19th century that came from a country where they ate every bit of the animal to get any available protein they could from the carcass
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Not Boomer food. Greatest generation food. Because when your starving in the depression. A lot of crazy shit starts tasting good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:10:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My parents had it occasionally,I think it was at my dads request,the smell of it cooking made me physically ill to the point of dry heaves. My mom would make me a bologna samich and mac &cheese and let me eat it in the living room on a TV tray.
View Quote

Same here. My father loved liver, and so we'd have it on a regular basis. Except that the kids weren't given an exemption from eating it. Everything my father liked was cooked regularly and we had to sit there and eat it along with him.
I haven't eaten liver since moving out of my parents house 42 years ago
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:14:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Mmmm.Army cooks always gave me extra..
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#31]
57 years here.  One of my favorite meals.

Every time I kill a deer, I have to wait until Mrs. Pirate leaves the house before I fry that liver and onions.  It makes her gag.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Beef liver, chicken, pork liver, tongue, tripe, heart, brain, all delicious. Oh yeah, forgot to add thymus glands...and kidneys.

View Quote

Anyone that complains about the smell of cooked liver should get a whiff of kidneys when they're cooking.
Sweetbreads look interesting, been eyeing them for a while.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:21:47 AM EDT
[#33]
First bites pretty good. Second bite is uh, okay. No third bites.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here in Texas, we'd call that Sumbitch Stew.  All the parts of the cow 'left over'.  Delicious with the right cook.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I got your boomer right here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:29:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I am a boomer.

I love liver and onions.

When I used to go elk hunting, I'd put some baggies in my backpack for the liver, heart, etc. I always ate them at the camp. They were so good that they never made it home.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am a boomer.

I love liver and onions.

When I used to go elk hunting, I'd put some baggies in my backpack for the liver, heart, etc. I always ate them at the camp. They were so good that they never made it home.

View Quote

I would take a bag with me hunting just to bring my dog the liver/heart
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I didn't vote because I don't like liver.

My parents loved liver and onions, they are both boomers. I never liked it, so much so that I refused to eat it one night. I went hungry on liver and onions night a few times until they decided that my brothers and I would get mac and cheese on liver and onions night. I can't even stand the smell of it cooking.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The McRib is just sausage patty meat with different seasoning formed into fake ribs and covered in sauce. If the McRib is gross, so are Sausage McMuffins (NOT gross).

Liver looks fine and the organ its made from doesn't gross me out.

The flavor does.
View Quote

McDonald’s uses culls for everything. Have you ever seen the videos of cattle or hogs too sick or weak to get up so they get drug around with the bobcat?

That’s the meat that you get at most fast food places. It costs pennies since the animals should have been euthanized and buried in the compost pile a month before getting winched onto a truck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It’s depression era food.  Liver and organ meats in general are disgusting.  Especially those used in the digestion process.  The one exception I make is beef heart because anticuchos.
View Quote

I like deer heart. Pan fried or pan fried and pickled.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Will eat only if starving to death
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#43]
It is a pre-Boomer food. Actually, it was an important part of the diet for centuries. It was a common and natural source of iron in the diet back then. It was a very common item in grocery stores and with butchers. I raised rabbits when young. The best part was the liver. It is far more flavorful and superior to beef liver. venison liver is also excellent. Marinating in milk overnight was my grandparents' secret. Roll in some flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry with a pile of sweet onions. Serve with the drippings made into a brown onion gravy with mashed potatoes and sweet corn and you had a great well-known Amish meal where I grew up. Most cooks overcook it and ruin it. It isn't supposed to turn into leather. Beefheart stew was also fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#44]
It tastes nasty and I have no desire to eat a fucking filter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm 58 and you can stick that shit up your ass.  
  Chicken livers?  Well, that's a whole different story
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love that shit but seems few others do local truck stop has great liver and onions
I have it about once a month
View Quote

I have always liked it. My siblings did not. It was punishment food for them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#47]
The whole “this is a boomer thing” concept for threads in GD is pretty tiresome and un inventive
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It tastes nasty and I have no desire to eat a fucking filter.
View Quote

Ever eat hot dogs, sausage, or hamburger.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The whole “this is a boomer thing” concept for threads in GD is pretty tiresome and un inventive
View Quote

They ate too many Tide Pods as toddlers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife used to celebrate Robert Burns Day with haggis: tripe stuffed with shit and roasted. It would take a week to get the smell out of the house. The dog would hide in the living room with her paws over her nose. Nasty, nasty but she loved it. Even putting ketchup on it could not save it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top