Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2001 10:55:08 AM EDT
I"m new to ARs, had one about 1 month and I'm wondering why they don't have a firing pin spring to keep that nasty looking pin off of primers as the bolt closes?

Just wondering because most of my arms (pistols and shotguns) certainly do have 'em.

thanks in advance..ECS
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
 On a military style rifle the firing pin usually rests very close to the primer, less travel equals sure fire ignition.  It is common to see a very slight mark on the primer of a chambers but unfired round.  No spring, because one is not required, the hammer strike makes it go bang and it typically does not have enough inertia to go bang without the hammer strike( the bolt and bolt carrier moving into battery eats a lot of that up).
 Beside it is one less part for the average grunt to drop in the dirt and never see again.  Follow you assembly instructions to the letter, never fire an AR/m16 unless you have the bolt and bolt carrier correctly assembled and installed.  Get help if you are not sure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to pick up a spring at a gunsmith shop.  Your AR15 won't fire right unless you put a 16# spring in the carrier!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Spring is not needed.Check out how the AR/M16 works,Stoner used K.I.S.S. for the GI's.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Lonegunman has it right.  Many military rifles don't have them (M14, Garand, etc.).  Just make sure you ALWAYS load from a magazine.  The recoil springs are designed so that the bolt carrier has enough forward momentum to strip a round from the magazine feed lips and then chamber it.  If you just drop a round into the chamber and then let the bolt slam forward, the firing pin can move forward with enough force to cause a slam-fire, which is bad juju.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only shoot handloads (never military) and have frequently loaded single rounds with the bolt locked open when shooting on a bench.  A slam fire has not occurred and would not have been a problem with the rifle in a rest, but, like you said, bad juju.
View Quote

The primer cups on the commercial primer are a bit thinner than the mil-spec ones.  I believe there was a discussion of this subject at the Fulton Armoury site, WWW.FULTON-ARMORY.COM.  CCI makes some mil-spec primers, but since you don't have a problem with slam-fires, this is just some FYI.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top