Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/22/2022 9:40:43 PM EDT
...if I ended book 2 of a 3-book series with a cliffhanger?

I ask because there's a new series I'm writing that takes place in the present day.  It's got a lot of gun stuff in it, including a main character who's a USPSA competitor, but I just came to the end of book 2 and I had an ending in mind that wouldn't have left anyone in harm's way but would have left a lot of hanging threads to be wrapped up in book 3.  That's usually the way I do it because I am not a fan of cliffhangers.  But it didn't feel right this time and I went with the cliffhanger for a couple of the main characters.

Is that something that would piss you off as a reader?  Bear in mind the third book will come out just 2-3 months after the second, so it won't be a long wait, but since it's not something I've done before, I am a little worried it's going to make some of my longtime readers angry.  Since some of the people here have been with me since the beginning back in 2011, I thought it was as good a place to ask as any.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a complete list of your books. Whats in print now and where to find them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m up to well over 250 books on audible and same on kindle.  

Cliffhangers are part of the deal if you read alot of books.  People are used to them.  I wouldn’t consider using a cliffhanger to be a negative.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a complete list of your books. Whats in print now and where to find them.
View Quote

I sent you a PM.  Can't link to it here because it's considered advertising.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you do the same for me? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cliffhangers are part of the deal if you read alot of books.  People are used to them.  I wouldn’t consider using a cliffhanger to be a negative.
View Quote

That's a relief.  I know a lot of writers who do series end on cliffhangers, but I've avoided them because they used to piss me off back in the day, particularly when the next book took a couple years to come out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
And me?? (Im please)

If the books are engaging, it wouldn't piss me off too much, and would likely encourage me to speed up the acquisition of said book upon it's release
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It wouldn't really bother me at all, as long as you finish it. If you kick the bucket before finishing, that'll piss people off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... but could someone that is not the OP mention in the spirit of suggestion?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as there's a planned book 3? I'd be fine with it.

Patiently waiting for Book 11 of the Drop Trooper series here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's a relief.  I know a lot of writers who do series end on cliffhangers, but I've avoided them because they used to piss me off back in the day, particularly when the next book took a couple years to come out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely think it is acceptable in the setting you described (short publishing  intervals).  

Back with paper books (I read voraciously prior to iPhones also lol), if there was too long of an interval, I would forget or lose interest.  

Nowadays, with the short intervals a cliffhanger is all good.  Shit, I’m listening to Expeditionary Force for the second time and it’s pretty much always a hard core cliffhanger.

Can I get the PM as well please?   I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t read your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Leaving stories open for the next chapter is good with me.  Ending a book in the middle of a scene or chapter is a bitch gimmick and has turned me off to authors...

I enjoy your writing style and books btw.  Great depth and look forward to your new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as you don't end several in a row with really over the top cliff hangers, it should be ok.

There is one author I've read that really, really liked to have a big fight at the end of the book, have the MC pass out, and then the two or three chapters that ~should have wrapped things up and hinted at the next book be the lead in to the next book. Three or four months wasn't terrible, but it felt cheap after the second book in a row like that.

I started letting a few books come out before I'd get caught up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Not at all. It’s common for the second book or story in a trilogy to be a cliffhanger, potentially a dark one.

Call it the Empire Strikes Back arc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's okay.  As long as it isn't me and I didn't ask for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It wouldn't really bother me at all, as long as you finish it. If you kick the bucket before finishing, that'll piss people off.
View Quote

I'm doing my best to stay alive...  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As long as there's a planned book 3? I'd be fine with it.

Patiently waiting for Book 11 of the Drop Trooper series here.
View Quote

I'm starting on it in a couple weeks.  I should be done with it by December.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's out by January.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

military sci-fi?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not at all. It’s common for the second book or story in a trilogy to be a cliffhanger, potentially a dark one.

Call it the Empire Strikes Back arc.
View Quote

Yeah, but unlike most people, TESB was my least favorite of the original trilogy.  
Mostly because I didn't like the cliffhanger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

military sci-fi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

military sci-fi?

Yeah, mostly, with some space opera tossed in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
No big deal. I have gone through 2 of your books..duty, honor, planet series. Good read
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No big deal. I have gone through 2 of your books..duty, honor, planet series. Good read
View Quote

Ah, you gotta read book 3 of that series.  It's got a "fuck you, Arock" reference.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Search Kindle for Wholesale Slaughter Book 1 R. Partlow
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
IM me a link to your books please.

Cliff hangers are a good opportunity to branch off and start a new story with some lesser characters in the book.
There's an author I read that directly references a main character in a completely different book series, which I thought was really cool!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Seriously, It is ok If you have the plan to continue and are in good health.
One of my favorite book series was taking FOREVER to continue, and then I looked up and saw that he had passed away.
Joel Rosenberg "Paladins"

I read 4 or 5 books a week. Some days I go thru two books. A good cliffhanger is a nice thing, But one that leaves me hanging for a few years is a pain in the but.
E.William Brown "Perilous Waif"
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're doing audible and it's less than 10 hours (preferably 15+) I won't buy it
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Just started on your books.  Enjoyed the first 4 drop troopers. I'm going to go against the grain here and say I like that you wrap things up pretty well with enough open "big picture" threads to make me want to read the next one.

A cliffhanger certainly wouldn't piss me off enough to make me not read more, but I appreciate your conscientiousness towards the reader.

That said, man, you're a prolific and accomplished author, have some fun with it, do what feels right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Do what you gotta do, Rick. I need to download something before my flight tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hit me too plz
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Your book, your rules. Having said that, you asked for feedback. Neither my wife or I like them. She is a voracious reader and when I posed the question to her, she reacted strongly against. She isn’t your target demographic, but she has a number of writers she follows and is acquainted with and went as far as to say she would be pissed if one of them did it. Just passing alon* a message from the real reader in the family.

Keep putting out the good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I didnt read the other replies, but you churn books out like its going out of style.

If it were an author who took years to get shit out, id be annoyed.

Not you though. I think you can absolutely get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ah, you gotta read book 3 of that series.  It's got a "fuck you, Arock" reference.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had a solid "get both" reference in either 1-4 of drop troopers or 1-3 of the Holy War series.  

Listening to Holy War on Audible.  It is included in the "free for listening right now" section without using a credit.  I'm curious, do you get paid for that?  Do they flat fee you or give you a royalty?  Or is it just part of being on there?

Feel kind of guilty if the latter as I found your books through ARF and want to support you.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Be careful with your endings!

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You had a solid "get both" reference in either 1-4 of drop troopers or 1-3 of the Holy War series.  

Listening to Holy War on Audible.  It is included in the "free for listening right now" section without using a credit.  I'm curious, do you get paid for that?  Do they flat fee you or give you a royalty?  Or is it just part of being on there?

Feel kind of guilty if the latter as I found your books through ARF and want to support you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not really sure.  Most of my books are through a small publisher now and they handle all that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
If its a book series, then open issues at the end of the first few books can be expected.

Leaving a big cliff hanger at the end of a book series would suck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd say you have enough of a following that it isn't as big a deal to end one book on a mystery as it might be if this were your first series as an author.

ETA: since a few here have straight-up asked, Author is Rick Partlow and his sci-fi space war books are fantastic... not super technical, not too deep, not too shallow, just a very enjoyable read.

Here's a start...  https://www.audible.com/series/Drop-Trooper-Audiobooks/B086YG9B53

https://rickpartlow.com/
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#38]
So who is this guy without advertising for him?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Wholesale slaughter was a great series. Really enjoyed that. Now on the second book of the earth at war series which is super good maybe even better. Didn’t know you were Arfcom but am not surprised. Listened (ing) on audible. Both narrators were great.  Thanks for giving me something to do on my commute. It’s amazing how different the style of the two series are written. Love it. Keep them coming.  Cliffhangers are fine as long as there is resolution without waiting year like I’ve quit doing for the fire and ice series.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wholesale slaughter was a great series. Really enjoyed that. Now on the second book of the earth at war series which is super good maybe even better. Didn’t know you were Arfcom but am not surprised. Listened (ing) on audible. Both narrators were great.  Thanks for giving me something to do on my commute. It’s amazing how different the style of the two series are written. Love it. Keep them coming.  Cliffhangers are fine as long as there is resolution without waiting year like I’ve quit doing for the fire and ice series.
View Quote

I just finished book 6 of Earth at War and the audiobook for book 4 is coming out in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I've read nearly every book Richard Fox has written, and he uses them a lot. Robert Jordan in WoT did as well. I loved those books. Do it.

I read a few of yours, might go back to the series soon. I got distracted when the last few Ember Wars books came out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll wait for the movie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Reminds me of "The Rooster Crows at Midnight".
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#44]
His tagline at the bottom of the post makes it easy enough to figure out...

As do the multiple posts to titles of some of his book series.

Meant to quote @FBATFE
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#45]
You are the artist, it's not a popularity contest
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to read a book every 2-3 days then after my wife passed, I seemed to have lost the passion for reading...

I think ill get some of your I don't have and relight my reading fire...

I loved the books of yours I already have read...

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds good,  to me. Suspense is a Good Thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Nah, as others have stated, that’s just part of effective storytelling. As long as it doesn’t become a predictable tactic, it’s okay.

Now what DOES irritate me as a reader, especially when the subject matter is related to guns/shooting, is when the author gets way too heavy into jargon and technical talk.

Like ‘He drew his nickel plated SIG-Sauer pistol from its well-worn Milt Sparks leather holster, stoked with 16 rounds of the most potent Federal 124 grain HST 9mm rounds’

Just a little cheesy/heavy handed. The most intense example I can think was Crichton in Jurassic Park, with his absurdly over-talking on the technical side of things.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Aight, sir. You had my curiosity and now you have my attention. Will you PM me as well, please?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've read nearly every book Richard Fox has written, and he uses them a lot. Robert Jordan in WoT did as well. I loved those books. Do it.

I read a few of yours, might go back to the series soon. I got distracted when the last few Ember Wars books came out.
View Quote

Richard is a friend...I'll have to tell him he owes me lunch when I'm in Vegas because he stole your attention away.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top