BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because someone has a different viewpoint than you on firearms doesn't mean that they are "anti-second amendment"
Don't expect an echo chamber whose membership exactly mirrors your views on issues.
View Quote

c'mon man, don't pretend that trolls don't, y'know, the thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]

- edited -
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I am all for free speech.
Happy to debate with anyone.

But if a person who hates guns, joins a gun forum and baits its members, that is not free speech - that is deliberate trolling. And I do not see how it helps us or our website.
View Quote

Ahh yes, the ol' "I support X, Y or Z, buuuuuttt..... " routine.

Let me guess, your list of things that aren't "free speech" includes any speech that you disagree with, or otherwise hurts your feelings?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It generates clicks

Welcome your new anti-2A members with open arms. Their opinion is not at all harmful the forum…
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup. I've seen far too many good posters get baited to cross the line and get banned as a result.
View Quote

Weel, whose fault is that?
People here espouse personal responsibility all the time, until they want to say that someone couldn't control themselves and got a pink slip and was shown the door. That person is still responsible for their actions.
In all my years here I can't think of anyone posting that they were outright anti-gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It generates clicks

Welcome your new anti-2A members with open arms. Their opinion is not at all harmful the forum…
View Quote

I worry more about the mobys (mobies?) than people saying anti 2a shit. (that sucks too, but mobies do more harm)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
In another thread - the guy referenced by OP supported licensing and registration of all guns in the US.

If that is not trolling, considering the nature of this website, then what is ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In another thread - the guy referenced by OP supported licensing and registration of all guns in the US.

View Quote

What if he actually believed in what he said?  Would it be trolling?

It seems like it could be difficult to know when people really believe things versus are lying to get a reaction.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't say that was trolling. Thats someone with a different view of gun ownership than someone else.
Believe it or not, not every gun owner agrees with every other gun owner.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say that was trolling. Thats someone with a different view of gun ownership than someone else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take your point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What if he actually believed in what he said?  Would it be trolling?

It seems like it could be difficult to know when people really believe things versus are lying to get a reaction.
View Quote

Anybody who shares a viewpoint that I don’t like, or who violates my safe space echo chamber, is a communist troll.

Come on man, this is GD101.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

People here espouse personal responsibility all the time, until they want to say that someone couldn't control themselves and got a pink slip and was shown the door. That person is still responsible for their actions.
In all my years here I can't think of anyone posting that they were outright anti-gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I've seen far too many good posters get baited to cross the line and get banned as a result.

Looks pretty anti-gun/pro-control to me

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The new kinder, friendlier arfcom is all about inclusion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But if a person who hates guns, joins a gun forum and baits its members, that is not free speech - that is deliberate trolling. And I do not see how it helps us or our website.
View Quote

You can just not reply to them. I came to this site as a new member because I discovered what I [naively] thought was a pressing 2A matter and made a thread on it just to be called a Fed or a Glowie a lot. It's kind of annoying but it also keeps you humble, and I'll take getting trolled over nanny jannies policing your every post and banning people for hurting others feelings.

Free speech means dealing with jerks and annoying people. There was a crazy homeless man who used to hang out by the local supermarket and make police siren noises so loud you could hear him a half mile away. He creeped me out, and I wished there was a way to get rid of him, but thinking about it there was no way I could support empowering the police to do so that I couldn't easily see being abused.

If you don't like people don't talk to them. Simple as.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can just not reply to them. I came to this site as a new member because I discovered what I [naively] thought was a pressing 2A matter and made a thread on it just to be called a Fed or a Glowie a lot. It's kind of annoying but it also keeps you humble, and I'll take getting trolled over nanny jannies policing your every post and banning people for hurting others feelings.

Free speech means dealing with jerks and annoying people. There was a crazy homeless man who used to hang out by the local supermarket and make police siren noises so loud you could hear him a half mile away. He creeped me out, and I wished there was a way to get rid of him, but thinking about it there was no way I could support empowering the police to do so that I couldn't easily see being abused.

If you don't like people don't talk to them. Simple as.
View Quote

People are highly suspicious of new accounts whose first posts are about controversial firearms topics.

And rightfully so.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surely OP can't be serious...

It helps thin the productive and pro 2a members from the site.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well site staff quoted me so I'm assuming so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we sure though?

I thought we weren't allowed to know members' bannanation status any more?

Well site staff quoted me so I'm assuming so.

LOL, thanks

But that was kinda my point - mods/staff can openly ban people for long-continued bullshit, but blink or miss the thread/post where it happens, and you can no longer verify the idiot is gone.

One of the more bizarre removals of feature I can recall in my history of forum usage - literally every other forum I've ever belonged to lets you easily see a poster's active/banned status.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If that were the rule, I still wouldn't be able to get in here. I would have to make a bunch of posts in the tech forums, just to get my numbers up. I think that making people look for ways to do that would only take away from the tech forums, while making it harder for everyone to wade through the extra traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I owned the site, GD would be unavailable until an account was 3 years old and had 500 posts in the technical forums.

If that were the rule, I still wouldn't be able to get in here. I would have to make a bunch of posts in the tech forums, just to get my numbers up. I think that making people look for ways to do that would only take away from the tech forums, while making it harder for everyone to wade through the extra traffic.

You make a good point.

But it would at least ensure we all had a common interest in guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Just don’t tell someone to “get the fuck out”. That is an account warning.

They do include this meme though as a standard though. Attachment Attached File

Don’t expect even moderation.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They do include this meme though as a standard though. /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/gtfo-183.gif

View Quote

get the fuck out of here.
really?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just don't tell someone to "get the fuck out". That is an account warning.

They do include this meme though as a standard though. /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/gtfo-183.gif

Don't expect even moderation.

View Quote
 The only consistent thing is inconsistency.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

really?

For realz.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
pretty sure trolling is the epitome of free speech.
View Quote

I sure enjoy Trump's trolling, and DeSantis'.  

Trolling is a good thing.  

Even the anti crap here is entertaining watching them make an ass out of themselves.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Surely it is CoC ?

I get that we all have various views and often have a heated debate etc but I have noticed a few members ( usually free accounts ) who are blatently ANTI-2A and whose only purpose in joining a SHOOTING /2A website is to troll.

Yet - nothing seems to get done about it ?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Once upon a time there was _A troll that outmaneuvered all the mods and outclassed all the other trolls...
View Quote

I wonder if he was always trolling or if he just got to the point where he didn't give a shit anymore because so many people disagreed with him.

I missed his ban, pretty sure I was taking a break because I was tired of his shit.

He got me though, I mean I wasted a ton of time arguing with him back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wonder if he was always trolling or if he just got to the point where he didn't give a shit anymore because so many people disagreed with him.

I missed his ban, pretty sure I was taking a break because I was tired of his shit.

He got me though, I mean I wasted a ton of time arguing with him back in the day.
View Quote
I don't believe he was a troll.  He was a genuine statist.  He just got under most people's skin enough to destroy every thread he posted in.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Private company, their website their rules
View Quote

This!! Just like FB twitter etc
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sure. I understand the goal, but I also look at what people will do to get around things. I'm sure many would learn stuff along the way, but all noobs being told *Go make 500 posts in these forums* would likely create more problems, especially with none of them knowing the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I owned the site, GD would be unavailable until an account was 3 years old and had 500 posts in the technical forums.

You make a good point. But it would at least ensure we all had a common interest in guns.

Sure. I understand the goal, but I also look at what people will do to get around things. I'm sure many would learn stuff along the way, but all noobs being told *Go make 500 posts in these forums* would likely create more problems, especially with none of them knowing the rules.

Funny thing is, I honestly didn’t know GD existed until I had been here at least a couple of years.  

I was interested in specific information, and it never occurred to me that people would just hang out and chat about random stuff online.  Now I waste too much time here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Part of the problem here is that anything that is not absolute 2nd Amendment free for all is considered 'anti-2A' and the REE starts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Part of the problem here is that anything that is not absolute 2nd Amendment free for all is considered 'anti-2A' and the REE starts.
View Quote

Only a commie would believe that individuals should not own nuclear weapons
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Only a commie would believe that individuals should not own nuclear weapons
View Quote

SEE it starts already
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Surely it is CoC ?

I get that we all have various views and often have a heated debate etc but I have noticed a few members ( usually free accounts ) who are blatently ANTI-2A and whose only purpose in joining a SHOOTING /2A website is to troll.

Yet - nothing seems to get done about it ?
View Quote

Whenever enough people complain about a troll a long time popular member is picked to be banned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or maybe grown men can just not get butthurt about something strangers say on the internet?
View Quote

Leftists aren’t people and shouldn’t have a voice anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
The problem is long standing membership like yourself considers that a problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
pretty sure trolling is the epitome of free speech.
View Quote

Free speech does not mean free from consequences speech.

You are free to tell your boss to fuck off, and he is free to fire you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The problem is long standing membership like yourself considers that a problem.
View Quote

okie dokie
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Every time I've heard of this it always turns out to be just plain old butthurt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I worry more about the mobys (mobies?) than people saying anti 2a shit. (that sucks too, but mobies do more harm)
View Quote

I’m a life long conservative Republican but I think sensible gun control is reasonable.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm a life long conservative Republican but I think sensible gun control is reasonable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a life long conservative Republican but I think sensible gun control is reasonable.

The only sensible gun control is weapon retention and trigger discipline.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#46]
lol
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a life long conservative Republican the only gun you really need is your grandpa’s shotgun that you inherited.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not trollin, I'm Boxxy you see
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As a life long conservative Republican the only gun you really need is your grandpa's shotgun that you inherited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a life long conservative Republican the only gun you really need is your grandpa's shotgun that you inherited.
Well I get my 2A absolutism from him. Plenty of fully-semiauto assault shot gats to choose from
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:39:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anybody who shares a viewpoint that I don’t like, or who violates my safe space echo chamber, is a communist troll.

Come on man, this is GD101.
View Quote

The Most "I'ma Freedom Fighter!!" types are the first to scream "Silence Them!!" when any opinion isn't exactly theirs.

Bigger_Hammer

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top