Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What was crazy was that a shit load of people weren't ready for the big snow in Texas last year, after having going through the fauci virus panic less than 12 months prior.

You think that its limited to disgusting inner city trash fuckers that expect the rest of the world to take care of them, but there's plenty of middle class retards that expect the same.

At this point, if you can't stack up a dozen cases of water, keep your pantry full and have a $40 propane camp cook top, have an extra box of diapers and baby formula on hand, and go get a little solar charger for your phone at the least, then fuck you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
one potential issue, specific to the covid outbreak was the overwhelming of medical facilities. its the one thing folks forget about when they rant about covid being a fake issue. being in a rural area has the potential to limit your availability to hospital/emergency services. thats the one thing that is unique to covid as a situation that you can 'prepare' for.

i have friends in rural parts of north georgia. i expected lower rates of covid in those areas, but it was not so. one friend lives way down a dirt road on a 30 acre farm. its really nice and isolated. he and his entire family got covid (and all were really sick but got over it).
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
By late 2019, I was just sort of taking it for granted that the economy and the social situation were going to shit.
About the time everyone was speculating on the cause of the C02 cloud coming from Wuhan's crematoriums... I was in a UHAUL moving to BFE.
Was fortunate enough in having a 75% remote job already so I poofed.

By the time the colossal bleating herd was snagging up TP, I was putting up Game Cams and tinkering with ESP32/11Ghz motion detectors.

I've really enjoyed the new digs. Rural living doesn't deprive you of much these days. The fallout from COVID is still happening. Just... at... a... glacially... slow... pace...
My former employer tanked about a year ago. Was able to pick up another full remote DO/Support gig luckily. Would have been screwed for a job locally.

Have had COVID exactly 0 times. Hell, I haven't even had a head cold in three years.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite was the member here crying about how he couldn’t find toilet paper. Complaining about other people buying it all. Then when he found some he wouldn’t buy any extra. I bet that guy still doesn’t keep more than a 4 pack in his house.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bleach in a makeshift kiddie pool decon shower in the garage?

I really wish I could remember who all posted stuff like that. It was hilarious.
View Quote

They know who they are and I hope they feel a deep sense of shame.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember when the TP shortages started. Both my brothers kids came home for Chicago, one was married and brought his wife. My wife wound up picking up TP for them, because they couldn’t find it. They were down to one roll. With the kids home they had a combined household income north of $700K and none of the 5 adults involved thought of buying anything ahead of time. They got better for a very short while.

Now I immagine they are all back the way they were. No defensive guns and no preps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
huh?

but nothing really happened other than some people getting sick and everyone had to where masks for awhile.

Even the big TP shortage never seemed that real. There was no point where I wasn't able to buy TP
View Quote

Was a thing here.  I gave out a lot of TP.  There was none to be had for a while.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What was crazy was that a shit load of people weren't ready for the big snow in Texas last year, after having going through the fauci virus panic less than 12 months prior.

You think that its limited to disgusting inner city trash fuckers that expect the rest of the world to take care of them, but there's plenty of middle class retards that expect the same.

At this point, if you can't stack up a dozen cases of water, keep your pantry full and have a $40 propane camp cook top, have an extra box of diapers and baby formula on hand, and go get a little solar charger for your phone at the least, then fuck you.
View Quote

This is basically where I am at.

It is even more frustrating when unprepared folks have nicer toys, and then want my shit
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Was a thing here.  I gave out a lot of TP.  There was none to be had for a while.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
huh?

but nothing really happened other than some people getting sick and everyone had to where masks for awhile.

Even the big TP shortage never seemed that real. There was no point where I wasn't able to buy TP

Covid was bullshit but dont deceive yourself, shortages were real for most of the country
TP, baby formula, bottled water, cold medicine
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Friends who still don't own guns?

Sounds like a liability.

Keep your mouth shut about preps around those types especially.

View Quote

Why? They're the ones without the guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I was well prepped, but I also had an insider view into what was happening on the ground in Wuhan starting Nov, 2019 due to my position within a Japanese pharma company.

Everything thought I was nuts initially (to include my wife)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why? They're the ones without the guns.
View Quote
Likely for the same reason many don't go telling everyone they meet about their guns at home.  Most people aren't home 24/7/365.  They leave their property and their stuff behind to go do things they have to do.  The less people that know what is sitting in the house unattended, the better.

Even if you do happen to be home, in a "SHTF", the idea is as little risk as possible. One would want to be prepared for confrontation, but no needless confrontation is priority.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inspired by the "loot drop" threat.

You would think more people would wake up
View Quote

It just goes to prove that one cannot fix stupid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I was glad we were able to help out our kids and their young families, spread out all over the country at that time.  Daughter chuckled when she got the package of snack goodies in a big box using rolls of TP for shipping mat'l.

Through it all they've all grudgingly come to admit that maybe mom and dad aren't such wackos after all.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The biggest frustration about COVID is that the vast majority of people learned nothing.

It has really caused me to question human intelligence.  Even my dog learns from her experiences.
View Quote

This. I remember when it started and I still had fb I posted something about being afraid that the proper lessons to learn from it will be lost on society.  

6 months later I learned I was correct.  Nobody remembered empty shelves at the stores.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’m still eating kipper snacks from Y2K bro.
View Quote

22yo canned fish?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't give a fuck about WuHan flu now and I didn't give a fuck 2 years ago.  As for "prepping"….well…..a man should be prepared to take care of himself and his family. that certainly didn't start with this last round of bullshit.
View Quote

What this dude said.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is basically where I am at.

It is even more frustrating when unprepared folks have nicer toys, and then want my shit
View Quote

What's nuts is, none of the things are expensive.  It pretty much comes down to, grab a little extra each time you go to the grocery store.  But let's go through the numerous fuck ups of the last two and a half years:

- Fauci virus.  I saw it coming, I almost didn't act on it, but I prayed a lot and did.  I don't really blame people for getting caught unprepared for this one.
- The big snow, zero excuses to be begging on facebook for water because your pipes froze or food because you didn't go to the store and your pantry ran dry 36 hours into the whole thing.  You know better than this at this point.
- Formula shortage, WTF is wrong with people?  How could you be so fucking stupid, you stupid idiots?  You got something that's demand is completely inelastic, and given what everyone has been through, you didn't do shit to get a head of the game?  My personal story, when our latest kid was born right after the big snow, and it became clear she was going to be fed formula, I went out and bought six months worth that week and stayed six months ahead at all times.  By the time the formula drama started, we were polishing off the last of our stock before she got of the bottle completely.

I don't know.  I don't claim to be a genius, but its become clear that a substantial portion of the population are flat out unteachable dummies.  I don't like assigning intent to people's behavior, but at this point, I think some people are just truly wicked.  Surly, they from time to time think, "I should get prepared for the bad situation that's already happened once a year around here", then then do nothing about it.  At this point, I'm not going to volunteer to help any of them like I have in the past, I'm just trying to be a good example.  I can see they're doing what they think is best for them and their family, even if that's doing nothing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's nuts is, none of the things are expensive.  It pretty much comes down to, grab a little extra each time you go to the grocery store.  But let's go through the numerous fuck ups of the last two and a half years:

- Fauci virus.  I saw it coming, I almost didn't act on it, but I prayed a lot and did.  I don't really blame people for getting caught unprepared for this one.
I dont blame people at first, but a lot of people had a painful normalcy bias thinking everything was just going to go back to normal

- The big snow, zero excuses to be begging on facebook for water because your pipes froze or food because you didn't go to the store and your pantry ran dry 36 hours into the whole thing.  You know better than this at this point.
FB is aids. Grown adults who cant take care of themselves for a week disgust me

- Formula shortage, WTF is wrong with people? ...

I was pretty frustrated with parents too stupid to stock up at first. Before my kid was born I bought a couple different formulas just in case.
would up being 100% natural milk fed so we wound up donating it.

I have a friend of a friend whose kid has diet issues, only can use one type of formula otherwise it has all sorts of side effects.
He called asking if I could keep an eye out for it. I had to bite my tongue.
Literally there is only one product in the world that can sustain your kids life and you just wait till the container is almost empty to get the next?

I don't know.  I don't claim to be a genius, but its become clear that a substantial portion of the population are flat out unteachable dummies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't give a fuck about WuHan flu now and I didn't give a fuck 2 years ago.  As for "prepping"….well…..a man should be prepared to take care of himself and his family. that certainly didn't start with this last round of bullshit.
View Quote

The world ended and my family barely noticed...

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This^.

You should have basic essentials on hand already and enough for a short stint at minimum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah. You would think more people would wake up. Interesting, because today I had another random conversation with a near stranger. Medical appointment for my wife. Obviously doesn't buy into the covid nonsense. Knows exactly who is perpetrating this and ain't fooled for one damn second as to what's up.

In my experience, there appears to be more wakey-wake people out there than not. But yeah, there's plenty of oxygen thieves still wearing masks in their car. Alone.

Prepping is a lifestyle. Back when the majority of America was rural, people raised some of their own food and put some back in the old root cellar for thin times. People were more self-sufficient back then and society wasn't so "throw-away".

Decades ago, I was one of "those". Books by Jerry Ahern The Survivalist and William Johnstone Out Of the Ashes fueled a General LeMay-style bomb'em back to the stone age is coming soon!!! need to prepare. Not to mention the US Army Doctrine sorta drives one to that conclusion.

After the walls fell around Soviet Russia, I slacked off. In 2016 I discovered I had inadvertently positioned myself to take advantage of what I saw was coming BUT... I was a little behind the curve. Family made some conscious decisions, upped our numbers on stuff, got some learning and made some new friends. And rekindled old ones.

It's not all about having the most stuff. Relationships, community and LEARNING are key points.

Watching the reaction on dotgov to President Trump....well, no need to go over that. The clues are there and if you don't see them, it'll probably still be ok for you.
Probably. Whatever is coming next only God knows. But he';s on our side so it'll be ok.

I believe in keeping it simple.
God
Family
Country

Those are your focus

Beans, bullets bandages. Focus on those, two weeks. Then a month. Then six months supply and so on. As you go about your day, make a list of things you use and need to live, thrive and survive. Ever live out of a ruck? It's possible but you also have buddies. And re-supply. Those are hints. If you have the ability to get out of urban areas and go rural, do it. Be aware the lifestyle is different. Five minutes to the home store or grocery is a half day trip. Be as self sufficient as you can with water, electrical, food production but the real deal is

COMMUNITY

Develop those relationships with neighbors. Pick your new area if you can. Otherwise, go with what you got. Remember though, the dark times will come to all of us. It just happens sooner to those of us in or near urban areas and later to those farther out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I did stock up a bit more than usual since we were cooking at home more, we never ran out of anything though.

Course I was deemed essential and worked through the entire damned thing.  I could use a vacation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
What is a PS5? Is that the new Palmetto State MP5 clone?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is a PS5? Is that the new Palmetto State MP5 clone?
View Quote

Vidjya game, can't eat it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys should see what it’s like in Asia. I’m in Korea right now, and the vast majority of people are still wearing masks outside with no one in proximity to them.

The Japanese love these damned masks. They can’t get enough of it.

Govern me harder daddy!

Sheep!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#27]
In 2019 I finally got my dream job. I had procrastinated on canned food. In January of 2020, I heard the virus had jumped to the US, and filled a cart both at Walmart and Costco to the top with canned food. My main blunder was not stockpiling toilet paper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:40:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
huh?

View Quote

Flu vanished, and a lot of very wealthy people became wealthier.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top