Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's mostly genetics, but your bad habits will catch up to you.
My Dad lived to be 94; my mother is still going strong at 101.

I smoked unfiltered cigarettes for 34 years, frequently drank to excess in my college days, and don't eat a balanced diet or exercise on a regular basis . Up until even five years ago, people remarked that I looked twenty years younger than I am.

I'm 70, and these days I look it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255788/selfie-2534357.jpg
View Quote

the reason we can tell you are 70 is the mirror selfy with whatever camera that is...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 61, the wife is 58. We are both told often that we look much younger.  The wife is told she looks much younger than her 58.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a coworker who was a smoker in his mid 40s who ended up having a mild heart attack.  He then decided to lose a bunch of weight.  He was skinny, but his face looked ten years older.  Fat in your face will hide a lot of wrinkles.  A skinny women who tanned a bunch will look way older than a slightly overweight woman who stayed out of the sun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Now everyone is fat where back then they were mostly thin. Most of the time in older people the extra fat in their faces makes them look a little younger. Look at someone say 50 that lost 100lbs then look a pic of their face a year prior to that. Their face looks like they aged 5 years easy. I'm talking faces not bodies BTW. Something that I've noticed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A lot of us are biased or simply in denial, we look a lot younger to ourselves than we do to other people.
View Quote

While that may well be true, a lot of folks in this thread are commenting about how many people in general, don't look as old as folks of the same age from a few decades back.

Lifestyle has a LOT to do with it. As mentioned, smoking is a HUGE factor, and it's just not as common nowadays. It seemed like just about EVERYONE smoked everywhere, up until maybe the 90s. I know it was still really common in the 80s, with ashtrays EVERYWHERE.

More folks are health conscious nowadays, but the ones who aren't, STILL age like milk. I know a few smoking fatties whom people assume are 10-15 years older than I am, when they're actually 10 years younger.

It's not just self image. Most folks think I'm younger than my coworkers who are anywhere up to a decade younger than I am. (Had a gal come up to me and joke, "You're a vampire, aren't you? It must be 10-15 years since I last saw you, and you look exactly the same").

That link I posted earlier shows photos of identical twins with different lifestyles. Even stress shows up (with the one woman who was divorced vs her happily married twin).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This one is my favorite.  John Ashton (Sgt Taggart) was 36 when Beverly Hills Cop was released:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/John_20Taggart_large_jpg-2534242.JPG

View Quote

Hole-e-fuck. I would have guessed late 40s.

The super cop thing, it was working.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Smoking, sunblock, and lotion.

In Afghanistan people in their 30s looked ancient.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The skipper was 45, fuck you.

I am 46

View Quote

"Hey little buddy"

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Smoking, sunblock, and lotion.

In Afghanistan people in their 30s looked ancient.
View Quote

Good point. Smoke like chimneys and intense sun with no sunblock (and that doesn't even take stress into account).
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m a nurse who does psych assessments in an ER. Roughly 95% of the patients smoke. Even younger patients (18-25) actually smoke.

Besides them I don’t know anyone in my life who smokes.

View Quote

location checks out/Misery
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't judge based on movies. Those are not your typical humans.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(with the one woman who was divorced vs her happily married twin).
View Quote

My husband looks very young for his age and somebody asked me once what his secret was and I told them I liked to think it was happiness.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Its hard to say overall.  There are a lot of people killing themselves being overweight/drinking/drugs.  Methmouth is a thing.

For me I exercise, don't smoke, barely drink, avoid even prescription drugs and take supplements like vit B & C & D, ubiquinol, resveratrol.  I'm 48 and occasionally still get mistaken for being in my 20s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My husband looks very young for his age and somebody asked me once what his secret was and I told them I liked to think it was happiness.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(with the one woman who was divorced vs her happily married twin).

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ann Davies (Alice) is a perfect example of someone who would probably cause jaw drops if she were to do one of those "makeover" overhauls. That's a solid body hiding under those maid clothes. I bet Sam would have preferred she had longer hair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ann Davies (Alice) is a perfect example of someone who would probably cause jaw drops if she were to do one of those "makeover" overhauls. That's a solid body hiding under those maid clothes. I bet Sam would have preferred she had longer hair.

George Costanza, is that you? Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
One modern thing that's artificially aging some women is tanning beds.

I knew a couple gals who religiously tanned twice a week, every week since their teens. Up in the snowbelt, and incredibly tan year round.

By the time they were in their late 20s, they had the leathery look I associate with folks over 50.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be all the cooking.

My wife has often accused me of only marrying her for her cooking. And I think she would look pretty good in a maid outfit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
This one gets me every Christmas. I’m now older than he was when this movie was made:
Chevy was 45 in 1989.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
People didn't attempt to look young, now they attempt to stay looking young.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The one that always surprised me was Amanda  Blake “Miss Kitty” from Gunsmoke was 44-45 the last season.  She looked like she had been ridden hard.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It's all the preservatives in the food. We're pickled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Something I noticed some time ago.

When you look back at people in the '70's and '80's, people just looked OLD.  Take the cast from All in the Family as one example.  Carrol O'connor (Archie) was 47 when the show started.  That is an OLD 47.   "Edith" isn't any better, she was 48 when the show started.

Yesterday I saw a meme of the cast of "Cheers" and their ages.  All of them were in their mid 30's and the old bartender, with one foot in the grave was 58.

My parents are 71 and 64 and just don't look "old" to me compared to looking at how others looked even in the '80's at their ages, and neither of them wear makeup or have any type of cosmetic surgery.

So, are we just not aging like we did even 30 years ago?  

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/306638946_5385895864797036_1998492654106804056_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=0TJDe3iRsGQAX9mw3mD&tn=_BYtfhVqJtSim5r1&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=00_AT_rCjot1tHsQVHrkLaju1qpVdwCFY3ciJ35x_rwwrzTHA&oe=632FD0A4
View Quote

Sorry dude, YOU just got Older.   Your perception changed.   All those ages look correct with the possible exception of Coach, and he only looks maybe 62.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I noticed in Italy, women and men in the villages not only looked far older than their actual years, but BEHAVED like absolute geezers, even their late 50s onward.
View Quote

I noticed that with Europeans period, they tend to age very quickly in spirit once their youth is over.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
“Sarah Conner, 35, shot to death in her home”.

That was the first woman killed by Arnold in the first Terminator, at her front door. NFW would I take her for 35 - she always looked over 50 to me.
View Quote

Yeah, we watched that recently and it stood out me as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

to you & hubby OnlineAllTheTime
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope.

Archie Bunker was 2 years older when All in the Family started, than I am right now, and looks 70 instead of 47. Lots of other examples throughout the thread.

People just looked A LOT older a couple decades ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm, OP? You're getting older and your frame of reference is shifting.

Nope.

Archie Bunker was 2 years older when All in the Family started, than I am right now, and looks 70 instead of 47. Lots of other examples throughout the thread.

You’re dreaming.  They gave him old man hair, and you were fooled.  It’s Hollywood, and he’s a damned good actor.  That’s what they do.

Cover up the hair. He looks like every other 47-53 year old.  Plus, he has a 23? Year old daughter, so obviously, he’s middle aged.

Now, Post a pic of yourself.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Homer Simpson is 36 years old.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, it's OK to grow old.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but no one says we have to grow up.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well played.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had multiple people say I look younger than my 12 year younger brother. I have never smoked, he took it up as a teenager. He is thinner than me, but much older in the face. If I used a bit of hair coloring, I would probably look even younger (I am graying heavily), but my wife likes the gray.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You’re dreaming.  They gave him old man hair, and you were fooled.  It’s Hollywood, and he’s a damned good actor.  That’s what they do.

Cover up the hair. He looks like every other 47-53 year old.  Plus, he has a 23? Year old daughter, so obviously, he’s middle aged.

https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/19-20-2840-1014x570.jpg.  

https://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bunker#/media/File:Carrol_O'Connor_as_Archie_Bunker.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Umm, OP? You're getting older and your frame of reference is shifting.

Nope.

https://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bunker#/media/File:Carrol_O'Connor_as_Archie_Bunker.JPG

Meh, everyone in that pic looks ten years older than they are in that pic, even Airhead and Meathead.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You first!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This one is my favorite.  John Ashton (Sgt Taggart) was 36 when Beverly Hills Cop was released:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/178958/John_20Taggart_large_jpg-2534242.JPG

View Quote

That one kills me. I'm ten years older, broken and still in better shape than Taggart.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't take any real photos of myself, but here's a screen capture of me riding my board last year, so 44 years old.

VID_20200711_174219_00_006_2020-07-11_14-31-21_screenshot by Colo CJ, on Flickr

And a screen capture from a video from last week at 45 years old.

Sequence-01.00_01_12_13.Still001 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Surely don't look near as old as 47 year old Carrol O'Connor or 45 year old "Skipper" from Gilligans Island and others shown here.

It isn't just me, it is nearly everyone I see, and lots of people in my family.  People just aren't aging like they used to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:17:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you really want an eye opener, watch old episodes of the Johnny Carson Tonight Show and look up the ages of his guests when they appeared

Johnny went gray in his 40s to early 50s.

George C Scott was 43 in Patton.

But then you have Charles Bronson who never aged.
View Quote

Charlie was looking pretty rough by Death Wish 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I have always looked about 20 years younger than my real age. Never being fat has helped that.

When I was in my mid 20's, I looked like a teen.

Into my 30's, I had 19 to 23 year old girls hitting on me (those were some good times).
Not making that up. I went out with a number of them. Because I looked so young the parents had no issues.

Into my late 40's, I looked like I was in my mid 20's.

I married my wife when I was 40. She is a 3.5 years older than me. She called me her "boy toy".
We went on our honeymoon in Cancun and would get some funny looks, because she looked her age and I looked like I was 22.

I took a live fire pistol and AR class in 2016. I was 50 at the time. When we all stood around and chatted and shared our ages, the guys were surprised to find out that I was not one of the younger guys in the group, but was actually the oldest one there.

Now at 56, my thick head of hair has thinned a little in the front, and I've got some grays on the sides, and i started wearing glasses a few years ago = but I have zero skin wrinkles, so I look like I'm in my 40's.

People are still surprised now when they find out what my age is.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I’m in my 40s, but often get told I look like I’m in the 20s. I live a very stress free life, stay in shape, and more or less do anything I want. I believe that plus really good genetics are the key. Also no kids.  All my friends seem to do good until they have kids, then they age quick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Aging gracefully works.  Trying too hard just makes your age stand out more.  Unless you're in a rock band I guess, then you get a pass.  

Don't dye your hair, accept that a beard isn't exactly a fountain of youth, and yeah you guys who say fat makes people look younger yeah I gotta disagree with that.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Also no kids.  All my friends seem to do good until they have kids, then they age quick.
View Quote

2001, right before we started having kids.  (I hope these don't show up giant like they sometimes do.)

2018, 3 kids later.  

Most recent, within the last couple of months.

We're at that age though where we're going to start seeing things snowball soon (he has to put on readers for most things and I can't go 4 months between hair color appointments anymore).   Not exactly looking forward to it and planning on going through it as gracefully as possible but nobody escapes the passage of time----if they're lucky.  

Except maybe Chuando Tan.  There has to be some black magic involved with that one.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Archie Bunker was 47 years old ?   Wow !!   Dude looked 65-70
View Quote

That one shocked me. That and his wife Edith. Almost unbelievable. I really think there's something to it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
People don't think smoking and drinking be like it is, but it do.
View Quote

I literally was going to post this exact thing.

People who were born after the 1980s have no idea how prevalent drinking, smoking, and drugs were back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you really want an eye opener, watch old episodes of the Johnny Carson Tonight Show and look up the ages of his guests when they appeared

Johnny went gray in his 40s to early 50s.

George C Scott was 43 in Patton.

But then you have Charles Bronson who never aged.
View Quote

That's because Bronson looked 55 when he was 25.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#46]

I am as pretty at 66 as I can be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's because Bronson looked 55 when he was 25.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
2001, right before we started having kids.  (I hope these don't show up giant like they sometimes do.)

https://i.imgur.com/fDbU3K9.png

2018, 3 kids later.  

https://i.imgur.com/0Ush3mA.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/KDxsMcR.png?2

https://i.imgur.com/efnXgvA.png

We're at that age though where we're going to start seeing things snowball soon (he has to put on readers for most things and I can't go 4 months between hair color appointments anymore).   Not exactly looking forward to it and planning on going through it as gracefully as possible but nobody escapes the passage of time----if they're lucky.  

Except maybe Chuando Tan.  There has to be some black magic involved with that one.  
View Quote

I'm really not trying to be "that guy," but you look better in your recent pictures than you did in '01.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm really not trying to be "that guy," but you look better in your recent pictures than you did in '01.
View Quote

Thank you.  Helmet hair and super plucked brows aren't a good look on anybody.  Sign of the times.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/fDbU3K9.png

2018, 3 kids later.  

https://i.imgur.com/0Ush3mA.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/KDxsMcR.png?2

https://i.imgur.com/efnXgvA.png

View Quote
You might want to take that dog to get checked out at the vet. Looks a little petrified.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top