Page / 150
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MTpint:
I was not going to watch it.

https://i.giphy.com/media/SqfHFPbzxw98xwFOiE/giphy.webp
View Quote

Pass your own judgement but zero childish crap in this.  Hookers, strip bars, drunks, murder, Friends with Benefits relationships, lies, intrigue, No JarJar or ewok BS at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Any p ne else notice the Corellian YT-2400 in the shipyard? Also saw a Y-Wing in in there too.

Oh and the new LAAT is cool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#3]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
Any p ne else notice the Corellian YT-2400 in the shipyard? Also saw a Y-Wing in in there too.

Oh and the new LAAT is cool.
View Quote

I saw the Y wing, the baby LAAT is kind of cool too. When it landed and they dropped the ramp I couldn’t help but laugh.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I saw the Y wing, the baby LAAT is kind of cool too. When it landed and they dropped the ramp I couldn’t help but laugh.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc8a9af3cc475938c046ec9f3a6a9a26/tenor.gif?itemid=9805468
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked an awful lot like the ass end of a Shithook.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm liking this so far.
And chicky babe is cute too
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked an awful lot like the ass end of a Shithook.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc8a9af3cc475938c046ec9f3a6a9a26/tenor.gif?itemid=9805468

I thought of it too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it. Worlds better than kenobi and BoBF.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
One ep in: the writing is smart. Like they seem to understand underworlds and how things work off-book.

A little humor, doesn’t suck.

The color palette is great, and it paints a muted picture that sets the mood. Like “This is the new normal: like the old normal, just dialed back 80%”

The dialog is smart too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Click To View Spoiler

It wasn't woke at all.  I enjoyed it, good stuff in the SW universe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no idea what’s going on in this series.  Seems as if you need to be a Star Wars nerd to understand what’s happening.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
I'm liking this so far.
View Quote

Yup

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm liking it a lot so far. Adult, dark, gritty, zero wokeness, good acting, good dialogue, slow build...

Yessssss
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By macman37:
One ep in: the writing is smart. Like they seem to understand underworlds and how things work off-book.

A little humor, doesn’t suck.

The color palette is great, and it paints a muted picture that sets the mood. Like “This is the new normal: like the old normal, just dialed back 80%”

The dialog is smart too.

View Quote

Agreed on the dialogue. The back and forth between the hardass cop and the chief/boss guy was impeccable
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah yes, consume current product.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
I'm liking this so far.
View Quote

Even looking gritty with just some stage make-up she's cute
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh. I’m over it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

Agreed on the dialogue. The back and forth between the hardass cop and the chief/boss guy was impeccable
View All Quotes

A little humor, doesn't suck.

The color palette is great, and it paints a muted picture that sets the mood. Like "This is the new normal: like the old normal, just dialed back 80%"

The dialog is smart too.

Its exactly what you'd expect to hear in that situation which made it all the better, and how that transformed a couple episodes in.

That grey area of the average person in the SW universe is what makes everything so interesting to me. There's so much room for interesting stories.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#18]
Originally Posted By Squatch:
I have no idea what’s going on in this series.  Seems as if you need to be a Star Wars nerd to understand what’s happening.
View Quote

@squatch

Not really, basically consider that this is set about 5 years before the very original 1977 Star Wars movie.

The Empire is sort of in its early stages, and it’s control over the galaxy is still growing. It seems like they’re essentially using local/corporate law enforcement as a supplement to maintain order in the ‘far off places’ and that’s who the main character has his run-in with. It seems like he will be groomed to have an active role in the rebellion.

If you haven’t seen the movie Rogue One, it’s a prequel to Star Wars ‘77. If you haven’t seen it, watch it. This current show is set a couple years before that one. Most people who are fans of the old school movies agree that it ‘felt like those did’. Not childish and goofy, more of a war flick.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:11:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: feudist] [#19]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
Click To View Spoiler

It wasn't woke at all.  I enjoyed it, good stuff in the SW universe.
View Quote
Yeah, that hooked me enough to watch all 3 eps. He's willing to play rough.

Promising.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Man, the casting in this is taking it over the top.  Skarsgard is crushing it but one character that stuck out was Alex Ferns as Sgt Kostek.  Excellent character work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:20:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#21]
Rogue One was really solid.

This one seems to be very similar, and I have high hopes.

One thing I can’t get over is that the ‘rebel’ guerillas are armed with AKs. Like literally just AKs that look like they came straight out of Iraq.
View Quote

Look a little closer. A lot of the rebel weapons in Rogue 1 are modified ARs, even some of the pistols. Along with the Sterlings, MG3s and Lugers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Empire hired Sheldon Cooper as a space cop...

That is my impression.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow, didn’t really have this on my radar but am really glad I decided to watch the first three episodes

I should have known it would be good, because rogue one is probably my favorite Star Wars movie and andor was a badass killer in it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Wow, didn’t really have this on my radar but am really glad I decided to watch the first three episodes

I should have known it would be good, because rogue one is probably my favorite Star Wars movie and andor was a badass killer in it.
View Quote

The guy who co-wrote RG1 wrote this show.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#25]
definitely down for this. rogue one is a favorite movie because of the characters.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:16:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ICU:
I like the character. Kill the informant, no problem. Snipe the scientist, no problem. Suicide mission, no problem. I want him on my team...
View Quote

dude is baller af
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Porkchop_Sandwiches:

Supposed to be the rouge one writing team.  

I liked rogue one, finally brought some darkness to the films
View Quote

best Droid EVER!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bluegrasscardinal:
Disney will never outdo the Christmas special.

Especially this scene where one of Chewy’s kin is jerking off.
Whomever produced this was dropping some serious acid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRTow8hFvM
View Quote

Da-yum. Looks straight out of 1978. The whole cast & crew had to be trippin'.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By texas_mustang_01:
First episode:
-CGI was meh.
View Quote

I seriously don't understand this complaint.. the SFX were *incredible* IMO, especially the scenes at the beginning with the lighted bridge and the holo-dancers in the brothel.. that was a straight-up SWTOR vibe and they nailed it perfectly.  Re-watch the scene where the droid shocks the hound after it pisses on him, watch the hound's skin and limbs as it scrambles away.. they did a fantastic job.

I was really impressed with what I've seen so far and hopeful for the rest of it. It's slightly tainted for me, knowing how Andor's story ends, but I'm looking forward to the journey.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:13:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By uglygun:

That is my impression.
View Quote

I kept *really* thinking that was Simon from Firefly. Uncannily similar...though I am somewhat faceblind lol.

His boss struck me as probably the single most world-wise individual we've ever seen depicted in Star Wars. He knew exactly who his men were, what his and their function was, and could both extrapolate why they died and knew it wasn't worth bothering with since they'd likely been served justice. No idealism, no nefarious goals, just a mid-level functionary with a total grasp on the situation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

I kept *really* thinking that was Simon from Firefly. Uncannily similar...though I am somewhat faceblind lol.
View All Quotes

Discount Kyle McLachlan

His boss struck me as probably the single most world-wise individual we've ever seen depicted in Star Wars. He knew exactly who his men were, what his and their function was, and could both extrapolate why they died and knew it wasn't worth bothering with since they'd likely been served justice. No idealism, no nefarious goals, just a mid-level functionary with a total grasp on the situation.

At the end of that scene, I told my wife "that man is the textbook definition of pragmatism".
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok, so it actually isn't bad at all.

Only complaint so far is, it started off gritty and strong and then kind of just sloooooooooowed down. Episode 2 was just too much filler for me even though I know they used it to character build, yet the things that grab you to keep you going 'whats next???' weren't really there. They could have honestly condensed the 3 episodes into 1, really good 1 hour episode.

For a while I was like WTF is even going on? But this beats the shit out of Book of Fett, Kenobi and Rings of Power by a mile.

At first I thought the corpo guy with a hard on for Andor was Toby McGuire lol

Was a bit disappointed that the locals didn't just totally ambush the tac teams when they were in town and realized how fucked they were.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:

Was a bit disappointed that the locals didn't just totally ambush the tac teams when they were in town and realized how fucked they were.

View Quote

The locals kill a dozen, they just come back with a hundred.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
View Quote

LOL

Fett wasnt great, but Kenobi is one of the best Disney SW shows made to date.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DaveyDug:
I'm liking it a lot so far. Adult, dark, gritty, zero wokeness, good acting, good dialogue, slow build...

Yessssss
View Quote

It is very good, but "slow build" is an understatement. That was borderline dead stop. EP3 was real good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#37]
Even in the subtitles it just says ‘speaking ____’ - you didn’t miss anything, it’s just context clues.
View Quote

Thanks wasn't sure if it was just the stream or device it was being watched on when I saw those few flash back scene(s) in Ep 1 that there wasn't any language translation or closed captioning for it.

Haven't seen ep 2 or 3 yet but there didn't appear to be even minor SJW or woke garbage in ep 1. Instead just a slow burn of character development with a straight up murder by the main character 9 minutes into the episode. The overt brothel and Amsterdam style red light district windows in the first 8 minutes was also a sign this is geared at adults not kids. And the scene between the pragmatic mid level law enforcer captain and his eager underling was an excellent scene.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

Look a little closer. A lot of the rebel weapons in Rogue 1 are modified ARs, even some of the pistols. Along with the Sterlings, MG3s and Lugers.
View All Quotes

One thing I can’t get over is that the ‘rebel’ guerillas are armed with AKs. Like literally just AKs that look like they came straight out of Iraq.

In Rogue 1 those were tarted up a bit with gibbets and stuff to not look so real-world.  The AKs in the trailer just looked to have a different muzzle brake and maybe a dust cover.  I don't remember exactly but there wasn't much done to them propwise.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

I seriously don't understand this complaint.. the SFX were *incredible* IMO, especially the scenes at the beginning with the lighted bridge and the holo-dancers in the brothel.. that was a straight-up SWTOR vibe and they nailed it perfectly.  Re-watch the scene where the droid shocks the hound after it pisses on him, watch the hound's skin and limbs as it scrambles away.. they did a fantastic job.

I was really impressed with what I've seen so far and hopeful for the rest of it. It's slightly tainted for me, knowing how Andor's story ends, but I'm looking forward to the journey.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Originally Posted By texas_mustang_01:
First episode:
-CGI was meh.

The space dogs\hogs looked a little bad in some shots.  Otherwise it looked fine, and the space shots looked great.  The corpo ship was obviously a practical miniature model.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

LOL

View All Quotes

LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#41]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif
View All Quotes

LOL

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

I enjoyed Kenobi and thought it was pretty good. Yes, the scenes with reva sucked the life out of the show but when she wasn’t around it was pretty solid.

I liked BOBF but it was poorly paced and poorly written and was not my favorite despite FETT being my favorite character. So far I’d rank the shows like this:

Andor/The Mandalorian
Kenobi
BOBF
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Its exactly what you'd expect to hear in that situation which made it all the better, and how that transformed a couple episodes in.

That grey area of the average person in the SW universe is what makes everything so interesting to me. There's so much room for interesting stories.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

A little humor, doesn't suck.

The color palette is great, and it paints a muted picture that sets the mood. Like "This is the new normal: like the old normal, just dialed back 80%"

The dialog is smart too.

+1 to both of you… I’ve only seen the first ep as of now but agree completely… whoever is writing this is trying to convey what it’s like to live in a bureaucracy. The chief was simply going to the path of least resistance to make life on his planet as easy as possible for himself and potentially others, but mainly himself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Oh I know, I’m more referring to the fact that they’re not even really modified. As best as I can tell they put some little gizmos on the sides of the mag and called it a day. It just looks like a totally unmodified Ak
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I really enjoyed it.  Looked to me like Cassian was using a K-16 Bryar pistol, or an approximation.  The starting weapon in Dark Forces: Jedi Knight 2.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Yeah, that hooked me enough to watch all 3 eps. He's willing to play rough.

Promising.
View Quote

If he hadn't done that I'd have kept watching but I would have been far less invested in it
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uglygun:

That is my impression.

That scene sold me on the series so far. Perfectly written and delivered.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:24:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#47]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
I really enjoyed it.  Looked to me like Cassian was using a K-16 Bryar pistol, or an approximation.  The starting weapon in Dark Forces: Jedi Knight 2.

https://brandonchoveydotnet.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/300px-SWJKDF2_Bryar_pistol.png?w=696&h=376

https://preview.redd.it/wyd6jcd9cklx.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=34a63b092257be6e623ff4f0493e45d8fc75044d
View Quote

Noticed that too. It’d be really cool if they made Kyle Katarn canon again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah nah.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

It is not the actual actor from Big Bang.   But it is the character of Sheldon.  Fuckin space autismo with a badge that knows better than his boss.

I have a feeling for what comes next after they go do some clean up and find what was left behind.   Space Sheldon will really get his dick hard and use it to go "see, I was right."

In the end it was still the boss that had everything pegged.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By macpherson:
Yeah nah.
View Quote

It was just too much to ignore the thread, eh?

I'm going to try and watch them this weekend but I haven't even gotten to Cobra Kai yet.
Page / 150
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top