Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 6:18:45 PM EDT
Not that we don't need one. We need a memorial to WWII Vets. They're dying at 1000 a day now.

But the design that Bush just authorized stinks. It's real close to monumental Nazi revival architecture. The location stinks, in the middle of the Washington Mall where it will obscure the view.

I think we might put it in the Mall, but it needs to be toned-down. Understatement is a design characteristic that endures. Ostentation turns too quickly to kitsch.

Yeah . .. "monumental Nazi revival" I didn't think this up. I've read it from art critics who would understand such things.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't seen the design, but what art critics are you talking about?
Are these critics politically motivated?

I would hope this nation could build the much needed, and shamefully belated WWII monument, without turning it into something the politicians use for their own personal gain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The memorial doesn't bug me as seeing Tom Hanks propagandize it. This actor is told what to say by writers, told where to stand by directors, what emotions to portray by managers, was never in the military and acts like he knows how it was like because he had to drink latte between shots of Saving Private Ryan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Bite your tongue!
"monumental nazi revival architecture" you say,
where did you see or hear this?
As far as the "view" goes their wouldn't be a view if it weren't for the men and women the
memorial commemorates.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been to Washington DC and have been all around the Memorials, it's been years, but it seems to me that there might have been a better place to put it. Anybody else thats been there agree? That being said, there should definately be a memorial. And as far as the architechure, what the hell are you talking about? Or as you said, are you just repeating something someone else said? Myself, I always thought Germans have never designed anything ugly, be it cars, buildings, flags, helmets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive me, but I agree with Power Burns.  The architecture looks like something Albert Speir might have come up with for the Nuremburg parades.  I think it should be somewhere else, too.  The classic design and proportions of the Mall will not support it.  I am speaking as one of the few Art History majors on this board.

Personally, I would demolish some useless structure such as the IRS building and put there the memorial to WWII.  It would be based on the structure of Lee's mansion at Arlington (neo-classic) and oriented in such a way that it could be viewed from Arlington and Arlington could be seen from it. The scope and tone of the building would be similar to the replica of the Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee.

It would have a spacious outside memorial garden with a variety of statuary commerating various theaters of the war.  The garden would have its own reflecting pool and obilisk reminiscent of the mall and the Washington monument.  The garden would be landscaped with Laurel Noblis, the traditional shrub honor, Oaks, and Magnolias.

This would be in keeping with the Washington setting, would draw from American history, would not disturb the lines and purpose of the mall, but no one asked me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't like the artist's rendering, but I hated the Vietnam Memorial on paper and now I think it is the best monument in Washington.
As for location, the WWII monument deserves the best location possible as it was the most important thing America ever did.
[(:)]
Hmmmm, WWII veterans dying at the rate of 1,000 a day. Faster than the Hitlerites and Japanese did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The Lincoln and Jefferson Monuments are Mussolini Revival works, done in the New Rome style.

The WWII memorial design was chosen as best from all sorts of competing designs which were submitted.  The view will not be affected much but I wish it were.  WWII is as important to the US history as Lincoln or Jefferson.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
A bunch of gun enthusiasts arguing over architecture- What's next, arguments over interior decorating (Hey man, does this green sling clash with the black handguards?)  (Does this LBV make my butt look big?)
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell, our whole damn country is a monument to our WWII vets, as it well might not be here without them.  I hope we don't need a memorial to remember that.

And the Mall is the Mall and shouldn't be meddled with.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A bunch of gun enthusiasts arguing over architecture- What's next, arguments over interior decorating (Hey man, does this green sling clash with the black handguards?)  (Does this LBV make my butt look big?)
View Quote

ROT F'ing Floor, laughing my gd gutts out!!!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So, does a cammo sling clash with my all black AR, and does the tiger stripe BDU's make my ass look big? Should I higlight under my brows with cammo? Can I wear the same urine scent for the coyotes and the babes too?

Let's not screw up the Mall with a marble orchard. I like the Arlington idea, majestic, appropriate, classical, enduring.

--butt seriously, what about my ass? [moon]

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Please don't hate me -- it wath tho late and I was thoooo thleepy...I called Arlington Neo-Classic and it is really more Greek Revival.  I'm surprised that someone didn't just lock down the thread and spank me silly!

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
If I remember correctly, it will be right in the reflecting pool.  The rectangular area of water between the Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.  It will breakup that beautiful sight.

[img]sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/washmon.gif[/img]

Soon, you will only be able to view that sight in a picture or in your memory.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
With people humming in the background Tom argues for a monument to a generation saying "amazingly, there is no monument to honor this generation..."

Any other monuments to generations in DC?  How about the generation who had the guts to revolt from Britian?

The main issue here is a monument to honor WWII Vets & the location.   Most will agree on a monument, the bulk of funds are private but the location is in dispute.  FInd another spot & get on with it already.

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I respectfully disagee with those that think this monument dosen't deserve a location on the mall.  

WWII was a cataclysmic event that susequent generations can't really fathom.

The location is fitting given the role the US fighting man played in the conflict and the price the each payed.

To see the location and renderings of various views of the monument check the links below.

[url]http://www.wwiimemorial.com/aboutmemorial/index.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.wwiimemorial.com/aboutdesign/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, Hipower.  That is different from the conceptual designs I saw early on and are, in my opinion, an improvement.  Still a little "statist," but I can live with it.  I withdraw my objections.

Of course, they should have drawn more old guys in baby blue windbreakers with baseball caps and glasses wondering around the plaza...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top