Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 5:48:28 PM EDT
Is work the newest form of slavery? Is the suit and tie the newest form of shackles, ball and chain? Are we subservient to the all mighty dollar? Can we call this a form of prostitution? We sell our skills and our body to perform that skill, albeit non-sexual.

Oh yes some may claim that working for yourselves, or owning a business is not the same. However, your form of slavery becomes a little higher. You are now a slave of the almighty money. Without income, your house of cards comes tumbling down. How many of you can live without having a dime? Really think about it. Living from the fat of the land is no longer viable in our current world. You eventually need money. Well I guess you can hunt and barter for what you need. One thing you miss; Hunting needs a license. Licenses costs. Hunting without is called poaching. Could lose your freedom. Own your own land and hunt within it you say. Well without money to keep it going, your land can be taken over by the state if you fail to pay taxes. Bartering could only make you so much.

A bum could be better. He has no ties. He has no responsibilities. His days are truly his own. Yet we put him at the bottom of the barrel. Why is that?

So the all questions stands. Why do we work? How did we become such slaves? It is a pyramid. On top is money pulling all the strings as we dance after it. Some dance harder than the other. Some view others by it. It is all about status, the size of ones portfolio, and the worry of how we can provide for ourselves and our families.

So how long will it take you to pay for that new firearm? How much of you goes into it?

Have fun at work tomorrow!!! I know I will………not!!!!!

At least we still have women.
[img]http://home13.inet.tele.dk/clau/22feb1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sex-home6.inet.tele.dk/hansen/claus24.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
LT,

I fully understand how you feel. After a three day weekend, I always feel this way too.

Cheer up, things could be worse you know. You or one of your loved ones could be sick or dying.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cheer up, things could be worse you know. You or one of your loved ones could be sick or dying.
View Quote

I'm sick of work and I'm dying over here. [:D]

I just had too good of a time this weekend to go to my shitty job tomorrow. Already formulating an excuse to play hookie.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to feel the same way.  Now I'm disabled and wish that I had a job to b!tch about.  Change jobs, or change trades, just do something yoo like to do..........
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used to feel the same way.  Now I'm disabled and wish that I had a job to b!tch about.  Change jobs, or change trades, just do something yoo like to do..........
View Quote

Sorry to hear about that. I guess things can get worse. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Martin Bouber contends that mankind is "contingent" (Existential philosopher).

Bouber never gets around to stating precisely WHAT the human condition is contingent upon, but food and shelter seem inevitable contingencies.

Carl Jung talks about the necessity of "meaningful work." That's sort of a Jeudeo-Christian ethical Weltanschauung . . . Lots of work that is meaningless toil.

Couple of grad degrees here, and I should be teaching at the University. But instead I get disability from the VA and Social Security. I have "meaningful" endeavors but they don't produce any meaningful income.

Even if you own the land, you still need a license to hunt game animals upon it. Game species are regulated. You can live off squirrel and coyote which are "varmints" and not regulated, but you still need a hunting license.

The VA and State of Oregon gives me a permanent no charge hunt/fish license. The tags are extra.

Meaningful work? Meaningful life? Shooting is probably meaningless, but it keeps me focused and happy.

Sorry you have to go back to work tomorrow. Try not to become enslaved.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, this is sounding serious. Good luck my friend. If you want to play hookie, lets go to the beach.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
As my name implies i'm a bricklayer. Here is a typical day for me.....
spread the mortar, pick up a brick, lay the brick, pick up another brick, lay that one, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar, pick up a brick, lay it, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar.....
well there is a little more to it than that of course. But i really don't mind it.
sometimes we even work out in the country where i sometimes take my .22 and shoot ground hogs   [sniper]
what would you do if you had nothing to do?? [sleep]

The Bricklayer
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone once told me "Cheer up, things could be worse!"
So, I cheered up & sure 'nuff, things got worse.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to find a job that was 60K a year and only was three ten hour days a week. Enough to give me something to do, but tons of free time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
lordtrader, I thought you were getting ready to pitch us all an MLM scheme!

But how true your words are.  Even if you are self-employed and feel you don't have a boss, you're wrong--all your customers are really individual "bosses" if you think about it, though you are a step closer to freedom.

This may be sliding slightly off topic, but for those of you that haven't read it, pick youself up a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door": it puts money in a different perspective, particularly when it comes to people's attitude towards hyper-consumption to give the impression of wealth.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh man, I can hardly wait for those nudie pics from Lake Havasu.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By the bricklayer:
As my name implies i'm a bricklayer. Here is a typical day for me.....
spread the mortar, pick up a brick, lay the brick, pick up another brick, lay that one, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar, pick up a brick, lay it, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar, pick up another one, lay that one, spread more mortar.....
well there is a little more to it than that of course. But i really don't mind it.
sometimes we even work out in the country where i sometimes take my .22 and shoot ground hogs   [sniper]
what would you do if you had nothing to do?? [sleep]

The Bricklayer
View Quote

i like your job.  man, all day is say "Paper or Plastic" and put the stuff in the bag.  Tedious yeh but man being poor is cool.  Having to save for something is worth making that something seem so much better.  I took three months off of work and coulda took another 6 but decided that it's just better to find somethin to pass the time away, no matter how much the job is "below you"  Find an escape man, get an addiction, they almost always make you feel good for awhile.  and forget this dropping out of society business it aint gonna work.  Go a little off the deep end for a bit.  I did, makes for a totally enriching experience.  Don't know how?  Read Catch-22. see how they have conversations?  master that and then push your self off the cliff of sanity and just do that for a bit.  Who's saying you have to be calm and cool and quick witted and "the best"  all the time? not me.  

NSF  
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sick of work and I'm dying over here. [:D]

I just had too good of a time this weekend to go to my shitty job tomorrow. Already formulating an excuse to play hookie.
View Quote

Dude, I hate to suggest it, but I think you need to move back to Kali. You used to be happy, and we miss you at the shoots. We also need more gunowners here to help shitcan Davis when he runs again, even though he's doing a good job of ruining himself these days.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Work is only a dirty word until you have none anymore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dude, I hate to suggest it, but I think you need to move back to Kali. You used to be happy, and we miss you at the shoots. We also need more gunowners here to help shitcan Davis when he runs again, even though he's doing a good job of ruining himself these days.
View Quote

Well that is definitely in the back burner. Did not play hookie. I'm actually at work today waiting for 16:00 so I can leave. One step at a time though gotta make it to lunch.

Quoted:
Oh man, I can hardly wait for those nudie pics from Lake Havasu.
View Quote

Did not make it to Havasu. We hung out in Laughlin. Gambled went clubbing. Plenty honeys but no pics sorry. Great memories though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
LT,

You have to work to survive.  With a Collar and Tie its not quite as hard.  If no modern day world we would have to hunt, fish and grow gardens to merely survive.  We would have to carry our water into the hovel or cave and shit outside in the cold.  

A bum could be better. He has no ties. He has no responsibilities. His days are truly his own. Yet we put him at the bottom of the barrel. Why is that?
View Quote

However, in the modern day world, welfare is the
better alternative the above quoted lifestyle! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Lordtrader,
    Enjoy your slavery while you can.  I have no master and it ain't all that fun.  I became unemployed on March 15th, right before the LEGP was opened up for orders.  Now I can't buy the rifle or even ammo or that new Glock I was going to get.  The family vacation has been postponed and I lost out on a new house that we were in the last stages of buying because the bank ( understandably ) pulled the finacing when they found out.  

This 3-day weekend meant nothing to me since I now have 7 days off per week and all money is tightly budgeted.

I am really looking forward to becoming a slave again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I hear you, but this is AMERICA! Still the best place to be in the world.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Every job has some aspect someone doesn't care for, but if you hate the IDEA of going in, find another job.  Life is too short to hate what you do for a living.

I got lucky, I fell into something that A) I like, and B) pays well enough to support my expensive hobbies (not as well as I'd LIKE of course, but then only Bill Gates makes ENOUGH money for that IMHO).  

LT, as bad as Kali is, I think it's time for you to seriously consider going back until you can afford to strike out on your own.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top