Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/6/2022 12:31:59 AM EDT
Daughter was home today and wanted to watch the new Predator prequel "Prey" on Hulu.  Figured let's see how bad it can be, going in with low expectations. Overall not as terrible as I expected , but far from great. Yes ,they went with the strong female lead, but didn't over play their hand, no heavy woke dialog or agenda, just the implied the girl is as good as the boys narrative.

Here's my over analyzed rant cause I'm bored and it's the GD.

It had a "cheap" feel to the production, the CGI animals look like they were from 2002 Cabela's Big Game Hunt PC game, they were terrible;  and the plot was very recycled, with recycled lines and filled with inaccuracies both historically and logistically. Says it's 300 year ago, so 1720's ,yet French trappers are west of the Mississippi river beaver trapping ? Seems a bit early, plausible but not likely in Comanche  territory. Natives did not wear war paint as daily attire, it was reserved for battle and ceremonies . The tribes attires is a mix of different tribes and periods, generic "Indian" look. In the real world they would have beat that girl into submission or dumped her by the river. They all pull their bows back with their hand reversed in an awaked position, I could be wrong, but don't think I've ever seen native people shoot that way. She sharpens a flint ax like it's made of steel, instead of knapping the edge. The flintlock pistol Danny Glover gets at the end of Predator 2 makes an appearance , thought that was cleaver.  So on and so on, it was about what you'd expect for a straight to streaming movie in 2022, but could have been much worse. Carry on.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I just saw it. Not great, not terrible. The animals were pretty sad. I really hope they shot on location, the scenery was nice. It is set up for part 2. Overall, I give it a 6/10.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what they were thinking with the cgi. Should of just done something completely different to avoid that. Or hired better animators.

Wonder if the director sat back and said "wow that looks like shit" when previewing the final cut.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I just saw it. Not great, not terrible. The animals were pretty sad. I really hope they shot on location, the scenery was nice. It is set up for part 2. Overall, I give it a 6/10.
View Quote
Better than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Inaccuracies? It is a work of fiction about an alien coming to earth to hunt humans and you are upset about historical timelines.

Maybe suspend belief enough and turn off your brain to just enjoy a show about an event that never has or will take place and don’t worry about historical inaccuracies.

Jeez
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
the clips I've seen look like "assassins creed: predator"
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Inaccuracies? It is a work of fiction about an alien coming to earth to hunt humans and you are upset about historical timelines.

Maybe suspend belief enough and turn off your brain to just enjoy a show about an event that never has or will take place and don’t worry about historical inaccuracies.

Jeez
View Quote

In all fairness, what with the internet and all, there's really no excuse for an movie to have any significant anachronisms or major inaccuracies these days.  It's just laziness at this point, it's not like they need to hire an expert on early 18th Century Comanche attire.  

Also, I'll laugh my butt off if it gets cancelled because the lead actress isn't actually full blood Comanche or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It was way better than the autism Predator one. Overall the movie was decent, but when compared to the other Predator movies it's one of the best.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much like the first one except, Comanches instead of commandos...
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Jeez
View Quote

Wish I could turn off my brain, just how I'm wired. Drives my wife nuts when I point out things like incorrect bayonets , uniforms, etc.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Beaver trapping Frenchmen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought the CGI looked pretty cheap. It’s watchable but not great.

Think Wonder Woman VS. Predator and you get the idea.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Just finished it up. Watched what was probably a 16 year old girl, take out four grown men and a predator by herself was pretty believable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just finished it up. Watched what was probably a 16 year old girl, take out four grown men and a predator by herself was pretty believable.
View Quote

Well, they were Frenchmen after all
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe suspend belief enough and turn off your brain to just enjoy a show about an event that never has or will take place and don't worry about historical inaccuracies.

Jeez
View Quote
It's the current year! Did they have a Comanche adviser on staff to get the cultural fine points correct? They're in trouble if they didn't.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Jeez
View Quote

They could have just not mentioned when it was set but instead they gave us a date and then fucked it up.

Also blade runner is clearly rubbish because 2019 didn't have any of that shit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#16]
BLUF: I spent 90 minutes so you don't have to.  You'd be better off airing up the tires on your vehicles, changing your furnace filter, doing laundry, and doing the dishes...

We're going to speak english and commanche in the the same sentence...
Sounds like star trek klingons.

Plus apparently there are cartridge rifles in 1719.

And bogs in MT, Dakotas, ID, CO...

Shit, they can't even get the predator camo water glitch to the same color.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BLUF: I spent 90 minutes so you don't have to.  You'd be better off airing up the tires on your vehicles, changing your furnace filter, doing laundry, and doing the dishes...

We're going to speak english and commanche in the the same sentence...
Sounds like star trek klingons.

Plus apparently there are cartridge rifles in 1719.

And bogs in MT, Dakotas, ID, CO...

Shit, they can't even get the predator camo water glitch to the same color.
View Quote

Did I miss that part ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did I miss that part ?
View Quote

When she finds the buffalo hunt.  Looked to me like she picked up a cartridge and smelled it.

Y'know, one shot the buffalo still has hide, next shot, stripped bare, and back and forth.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Watched it, wish I hadn’t .

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#20]
It was ok, could have been better.
It reminded me of a live action Disney Princess type movie.
I'm stuck at home, with covid, so I'm a little more tolerant of mediocre than normal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When she finds the buffalo hunt.  Looked to me like she picked up a cartridge and smelled it.

Y'know, one shot the buffalo still has hide, next shot, stripped bare, and back and forth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I miss that part ?

It was a cigar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It was a cigar.
View Quote

Who the hell ditches a 4" cigar?  Tobacco ain't cheap back then.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was a cigar.
View Quote

Yep, that's why when she sees the fat bearded Frenchman smoking in camp she says " it was you who killed the buffalo". Which was another timeline inaccuracy as that didn't happen on a large scale until the mid to late 1800's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I mean given the state of hollywierd these days not woke, just horribly inaccurate is almost a ringing endorsement.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Watched it last night, overall ok. I can try to chalk the bad cgi up to a cheap straight to streaming movie,  on the other hand Tomorrow War cgi looked way better and that was also direct to streaming.

The marigold looking flower that somehow “cools the blood” and slows your metabolism enough that the body reaches ambient temperature was a stretch. Tons of other inaccuracies as other pointed out but what bugs me the most was the fact that the predator was not the original predator. It was one of the new larger species of predator introduced in the Predators movie. As explained in that movie the larger ones hate the original ones and are at war. I’m interested to see how the flintlock pistol ends up in the hands of the original predators then as seen in Predator 2.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I saw it listed in Hulu when it was a female native America that played mighty warrior.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#27]
It's a movie based off of a comic book, so my expectations are already low
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#28]
No Kevin Peter Hall, no care.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They could have just not mentioned when it was set but instead they gave us a date and then fucked it up.

Also blade runner is clearly rubbish because 2019 didn't have any of that shit.
View Quote

Don't forget Khan Noonien Singh.  In 1996 the USS Botany Bay went into interstellar space with 85 genetically enhanced humans in hibertion aboard.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don’t forget she shot the predator in the back of the head before going Mano e femano with him.  Wouldn’t be the same as the fight with Arnold.  This predator might have struggled with coloring books by the time she was jumping on his back.

There are plenty of way of rationalizing everything in the movie.  I think it’s a great entry.  IMO it’s third in place behind P1 and P2.  The predator was brutal, I would have loved to see some skinned Comanches or even the grizzly skinned and hanging from a tree.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#31]
5/10 at best.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Watched it last night and was expecting the wokeness to be unbearable but the inaccuracies are more noticeable to me.

Still liked it alot, not the best Predator movie but not the worst.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#33]
You mean a hunter alien didn't come to Earth to hunt Comanche?!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks like French Trappers are the new "go to" if you need a generic bad element in period movies.  They did the same thing in The Revenant.  In that movie, the French trappers rape and kidnap the daughter of an Arikara chief, in order to give the noble savages a reason to attack trappers.  They also gave Hugh Glass a fake Pawnee wife, and a fake son by her, who is murdered, in order to give Hugh Glass a more sympathetic motive for his relentlessness.

In the real story of Hugh Glass, the Arikara (AKA, the Rees) didn't need a specific reason to attack and kill trappers.  It was kind of their thing.  In the real story, Glass relentlessly pursued John Fitzgerald because he abandoned him, and stole his rifle.  He really liked that rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
It's more of a low key woke. The girl is better than the men. Just as strong, except she is also smarter.

And all the white men with guns get "gratuitous" deaths.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I thought it was ok- except the guy who played Christopher Columbus should have been more familiar with his kit.

Helmet game WEAK.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Have not seen it.
Apparently it's better than Batgirl.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Watched last night. Moderately enjoyable. Not so good as to inspire me to start a thread.

Main chick did a great job playing her role. Ending was confusing. Didn’t understand exactly how the climax scene played out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Watched last night. Moderately enjoyable. Not so good as to inspire me to start a thread.

Main chick did a great job playing her role. Ending was confusing. Didn’t understand exactly how the climax scene played out.
View Quote

She was made "war chief " like her brother was before he was gutted like a fish.
The goofy part was in the advertisement for the movie where they say it's the first time predators came to earth to hunt. The first AVP movie had already established they had been here and worshipped by Egyptians and pre Columbian cultures to the point that they built pyramids for them. It's as if the writer had never watched a predator movie before.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

She was made "war chief " like her brother was before he was gutted like a fish.
The goofy part was in the advertisement for the movie where they say it's the first time predators came to earth to hunt. The first AVP movie had already established they had been here and worshipped by Egyptians and pre Columbian cultures to the point that they built pyramids for them. It's as if the writer had never watched a predator movie before.
View Quote

Damn.

It’s pretty well established in the lore that the AVP movies are not part of the Predator Canon.  Or the Alien canon for that matter.

They’re their own thing, and pretty bad at that.

This is the first time FERAL predator has been to Earth.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#41]
How did the dog get it's tail trapped in a leg trap?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wish I could turn off my brain, just how I'm wired. Drives my wife nuts when I point out things like incorrect bayonets , uniforms, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeez

Here … I’ll help.  This time arc is taking place in a different dimension.  Since we know that alien predators aren’t coming to earth to hunt humans in our dimension and arc, it is reasonable to assume this is taking place in another dimension.  So, in that dimension, since it is on its own arc, would be affected by subtle changes just like going back in time and even minor changes build and can change the future.  The first time an alien landed on the planet to scope out the hunting opportunity, they sat their ship down on a butterfly.  That butterfly was destined to be eaten by a bird, who was destined to be eaten by a big tarantula, and so on … all those changes add up to make the time arc you are seeing in the show.  

Problem solved.  Now, sit down, turn off your brain and just enjoy the mindless entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Most Indian women weren't warriors.  The Apaches did have a few women scouts (each to their own ability) and one was exception.  She had the uncanny and intuitive gift of knowing where the enemy was (and she was right).  This allowed her band to escape larger groups that were hunting them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I've watched worse movies.

Mostly glad the dog made it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Just another woke piece of strong woman crap.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How did the dog get it's tail trapped in a leg trap?
View Quote

That's the first thing I thought, and how she opened it with a flick of the wrist like it was a mouse trap. Also the fact these "bear " traps where just set out randomly on the ground not bedded or covered in a set.  I'm sure because 90% of the population knows nothing about trapping it didn't matter .
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw it listed in Hulu when it was a female native America that played mighty warrior.
View Quote

Like this movie isn't woke or anything.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I love "actually" complaints of historical inaccuracies regarding a movie about a space faring big game hunter.

"the Comanche never killed a Predator, movie is dumb."

*spoilers*

the movie was fine.  The girl was the main character and sucked real bad at everything and her brother, a dog, and the fucking Predator saved her (repeatedly) but like in the Arnold movie, you can't out fight or shoot or strength the Predator, you have to out think it, ideally using mud, she did.

Nothing about it was accurate
-Lions don't act like that
-bears don't act like that
-Comanche didn't act like that
-French trappers didn't act like that
-axes on ropes don't act like that
-skinned and headless snakes do act like that.  Creepy assholes even after they're dead
-aliens probably do act like that.

All of that is true, and has no bearing on its quality as a movie.  It was a shit documentary though.

*end spoilers*

It was fun and dumb, mission accomplished
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I miss that part ?

It was a French cigar, owned by the lead Frenchman.  The Predator did the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Eh, I give it a pass. For a steaming show I paid no extra for. I liked it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top