Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/4/2022 10:50:33 PM EDT
TOYOTA OWNERS! Please NEVER Do THIS to Your Toyota!

Sumopsis: Toyota with 180k miles needs engine rebuild. Oil was changed every 10k miles as stated in the manual. All other regular maintenance performed. Blow-by started at 130k miles.

Dirty, worn out oil kills engines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Every 5k...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you just add some when the light comes on?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my oil changed in my truck today.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
shit, my car doesn't even have a dipstick, so I have to change every 5k just to get a look at the oil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I started watching that last night, but wasn't going to invest 45 minutes of my life. I'll bet there was more to the story as to why his engine failed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone even rebuild anymore? Swap in a 75k engine from LKQ.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got my oil changed in my truck today.

View Quote

Likewise

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every 5k...
View Quote

I don't care if 5,000 miles is less than the recommended change interval, it's super easy to see when it's time to change the oil without writing anything down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every 5k...
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
180K sounds pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I follow the guidance the car gives me, in this case my BMW tells me every 10k.

I do my 1997 LC at shorter 3-5k intervals but it mainly sits around these days.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Oil was changed every 10k miles as stated in the manual.
View Quote

Then the yoda should be on the hook for all repair costs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Psst.

Wasn’t the oil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Psst.

Wasn’t the oil.
View Quote

This’ll be fun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't care if 5,000 miles is less than the recommended change interval, it's super easy to see when it's time to change the oil without writing anything down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every 5k...

Also a convenient reminder to rotate the tires

Oil change and rotation every 5k on my vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This’ll be fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Psst.

Wasn’t the oil.

This’ll be fun.

Hey man. I want people to change oil as much as possible.

I fucking love money.

But just telling the truth: cylinder wall failures of that level, in 180k miles - isn’t an oil issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
shit, my car doesn't even have a dipstick, so I have to change every 5k just to get a look at the oil.
View Quote

They're making them without a dipstick now? This is a joke right?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newer BMW if I am not mistaken,you actually have to use the buttons on the dash/wheel to get an oil level reading from a sensor.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hopefully you still have a warranty when the motor goes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

not a joke, and it's an '07

yeah, it's an odd decision.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone even rebuild anymore? Swap in a 75k engine from LKQ.
View Quote

LOL, LKQ is like buying an engine from dollar tree, at least they are still better than jasper.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
A doctor drives a 200k mile Camry? I only made it 3 min in. Was it synthetic oil?

I very much doubt a 10k oil interval on synthetic would contribute to an engine rebuild. Sounds like clickbait nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m feeling spicy tonight.

I want someone to explain to me why engine oil needs to be changed every 5000 miles or 150 hours. Which ever comes first in your world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Newer BMW if I am not mistaken,you actually have to use the buttons on the dash/wheel to get an oil level reading from a sensor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shouldn't be surprised, especially with most new vehicles having a "sealed" transmission and no dipstick to check that fluid. Im really surprised by this though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I try to change oil around 4-5K miles. Truck is around 4K because I do some towing with it.  Car is 95% highway driving so I let it go 5K.  That 7-10K mile oil change for most is probably less than 2 routine oil changes per year at those interval periods.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

not that new, but correct otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A doctor drives a 200k mile Camry? I only made it 3 min in. Was it synthetic oil?

I very much doubt a 10k oil interval on synthetic would contribute to an engine rebuild. Sounds like clickbait nonsense.
View Quote

It is.

I went to where he diagnosed the failure point - cylinder walls - and stopped.

I feel bad for giving him a click.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, my car has no dipstick, just a sensor you can check.

We will see if the Toyota service advisor offers to rotate my tires.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#29]
GD oil change interval threads always deliver
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#30]
When the Toyota warning light comes on at 4500 I'll keep rolling until it is convenient. Using good oil and filter, not concerned at that interval. We have a 500-600 mile road trip coming up and we're at 4700ish on this change...I think I'll let it ride until we get back.

ETA: other truck gets it at 5-6k, it's old and gets the shit beaten out of it plus not driven often, less than two changes per year. That's still likely more than necessary.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I want someone to explain to me why engine oil needs to be changed every 5000 miles or 150 hours. Which ever comes first in your world.
View Quote

Because boomers say so.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Toyota and their oil control rings.

I've a 1ZZ-FE 2001 Corolla and that engine is notorious for the oil control rings to get carboned up.  Then you get massive oil consumption.  

The four drain-back holes behind the ring is too small and either needs to be drilled out larger or a new version of the piston installed upon rebuild.  The interim solution is to change the oil religiously no more than 4k miles on my particular engine.  I haven't had an issue with oil consumption yet, but I'm waiting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the oil, in the ones with 10K intervals, is not very good, I'd say it's like the oil you find at dollar tree unless it's a brand you recognize like mobile 1 etc...

My 2019 scatpack charger has her oil changed every 6K and that's using pennzoil platinum 0W40.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because the oil, in the ones with 10K intervals, is not very good, I'd say it's like the oil you find at dollar tree unless it's a brand you recognize like mobile 1 etc...

My 2019 scatpack charger has her oil changed every 6K and that's using pennzoil platinum 0W40.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll add another assumption; that you’re using an in spec oil.

Dollar tree oil was last in spec in 1933.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I did my oil last week, every 4-5K for me, I was short on time so I didn't get to the transmission fluid change, hopefully Saturday is when I'll do that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Doubt it was the oil. I run Mobil1 EP in my DD and change the oil every 15k or once a year, been doing it since '04.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The anesthesiologist for my last procedure drove a 20+ year old shitbox with no AC and broken passenger side windows,
he didn't care about AZ summers because the house he rented was a mile from the hospital and even if the car had AC
it wouldn't cool down in time... so it's definitely possible. Strong hippy vibe from that one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my world we would always change the oil during the DOT inspection every 25 to 30k miles or 3 months per company guidelines .

Some trucks would run 30k+ a month slip seating some sat most of the time but got changed at 3 months. Some say the oil will turn acidic or collect moisture. I have personaly seen a Volvo d13 rusty on all the rockers and a couple of others as well. But idk.

Eta my 97 camry v-6 had  288k on it when I sold it 2 years ago and changed the oil every 10k also the a/c still worked great.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like the 2AR-FE, which was originally speced for 5k changes, even with 0w20.

I've got a 2011 TC with the same engine, but dealer says it's good for a 10k interval. Or 6 months. I do it every 6 months which is between 5 and 6k for me, as I have 2 free changes a year for life.

The previous gen 2AZ had major oil consumption issues due to poor ring design. But the 2AR rarely consumes oil in comparison.

Many 2ARs are run on the 10k interval without issue, so it's probably something else. But I still don't trust 10k intervals
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
But locomotives and tractors never get oil changes. Change filter top off oil…
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In my world we would always change the oil during the DOT inspection every 25 to 30k miles or 3 months per company guidelines .

Some trucks would run 30k+ a month slip seating some sat most of the time but got changed at 3 months. Some say the oil will turn acidic or collect moisture. I have personaly seen a Volvo d13 rusty on all the rockers and a couple of others as well. But idk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m guessing you’re running a good dose of biodiesel out there to get corrosion going on like that and the collection of moisture.

If I may ask, what sort of application?

We change it about the same intervals. It’s a little “early” from my oil sampling data. But I personally want my trucks gone over every other month and greased. If they’re in the shop for a day, there’s enough downtime to change the oil too.  As 4 month drain intervals probably is a bit long for our application.

I have some slip seat trucks going 75k miles on oil change intervals. Line hauling steel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 22 F350 with a gas engine was at 12% or so at just over 9000 miles. 3k of that was pulling a 5th wheel camper. Figured it was time at that point for its first oil change.

Service writer at the dealer about freaked when he got the miles off the truck and scolded me for not changing the oil. "Don't look at me! Your product still says its good to go. Now change the damn oil."
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I THINK (and this is solely going off non expert memory lol) that the theory was that the additive pack in the oil was “used up” by that point and the oil was less effective…now I’ll sit back and listen to the expert (no sarcasm intended at all) and learn as I always do!

Thanks for your input into these threads, I almost always learn something from your contribution.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

in my 911 I have to turn my key with out depressing the clutch and than it will do a 5 sec countdown and it will show Oil level

currently have 10257 miles on my Oil / 6 month of driving

I always send a sample of to Blackstone and from those reports the Engine seems healthy

and I just hit 100k miles
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Every 5k...
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I can see the real experts are already here, almost hunting over bait.

Oil analysis is key if you want to keep a car over 200k.

I've had cars/trucks that absolutely needed shorter intervals and ones that could be stretched far beyond OEM recommendations.  

I have a pretty good track record of getting 300k out of engines, but very much guided by analysis, and typically using a the "lightest", high flowing oil possible.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a 2018 Honda CR-V with the 1.5l direct injection turbo engine.

Mid winter, with only 300 miles and 40 days on a fresh change, Blackstone showed 23% fuel dilution.

What do I win??
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I THINK (and this is solely going off non expert memory lol) that the theory was that the additive pack in the oil was “used up” by that point and the oil was less effective…now I’ll sit back and listen to the expert (no sarcasm intended at all) and learn as I always do!

Thanks for your input into these threads, I almost always learn something from your contribution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just spent all week out in CA with a major oil company. I’m getting appointed to their technical advisory board. So I’m on PST and just landed back in OH - so EST. Might be mid night. But feels like 9pm for me.

Alright so let’s look at this from the lowest common denominator.

Assuming you’re using an oil that *barely* meets spec - some group 2 / group 3 synthetic blend, SN+ oil that you’ve had hanging around for a while. No name brand.  

If you’re depleting the ad pack in 150 hours - you have a contamination issue. Either you had previously developed sludge. Or you have a mechanical issue that’s destroying your oil.

Every oil is a compromise. Just, where is the compromise at. You have X amount of space for anti wear additives to attach to the metals. You have Y amount of space for the corrosion inhibitors to attach to the metals.  You have Z amount of space for the viscosity modifiers to attach to the metals. Basically, they all share the same space. But you only have so much space. So you’re going to trade off - compromise - one for the other somewhere.

Thus minor differences. However in the gasoline engine world, the spec box is so tight the compromises are set by the oem. Not by the oil manufacturers.

In this case, having heavy cylinder wall wear, to me, points to a mechanical failure / engine design issue. That amount of scuffing to the walls means you’re going to have a ton of contamination in the oil. Which, no amount of oil changing will fix. The mechanical issue needs to be addressed first, or the wear is going to get worse and the sooner the oil will fail.

So it’s not a “change your oil more often” thing - as you’re putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

You need to diagnose why you’re having the failure first. Which, if I had to guess on those cylinders - probably some sort of engine imbalance issue or some sort of oil delivery failure.  That’s the engine builder / designer issue. Not an oil issue.

Full synthetic, synthetic blend, whatever - wouldn’t of helped.  At 5000 or 10000 mile change intervals. Wouldn’t of helped.

You might have went 10-15% further. But the mechanical issue was still going to be there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Mid winter, with only 300 miles and 40 days on a fresh change, Blackstone showed 23% fuel dilution.

What do I win??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do I win??

Re-sample.

Something sounds funky with the sample is my first guess. So I’d like a second data point.  If a quarter of your crank case is fuel, so approx 1.5qts - that’s a shit load of fuel. You have a ring issue or piston issue that’s causing you to make oil.

Edit:

Your oil would be condemned at this point. Way out of viscosity range.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an '06 and  no dipstick. Had an issue when new, faulty oil level sensor, replaced but still trust has to be earned.

5 series has a idrive that you select thru 2-3 screens and it will show you active oil level.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top