Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 2:06:47 PM EDT
My new safe came.  It is from Sun Welding Co. and it took about two months to get.  Well, it was delivered on a palate and I am not sure what to do.  I thought about leaving it on the palate to get it off the cold floor, but I think on the floor I could bolt it down so it would be much harder to tip over.  So the problem:  How do I get a 1300lb. safe off a palate?  Any ideas?

[img]content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=SchatzisFamily&ID_Topic=1&ID_Message=90[/img]

[img]content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=SchatzisFamily&ID_Topic=1&ID_Message=89[/img]

The safe came with a couple scratches so the company is sending us a check for the cost of a new paint job, which is about the same as shipping cost, which is a pretty good chunk of change.  Their customer service person was great to work with as well.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Get it up on a couple of car jacks, then slide the palate out from under it. You might have to saw some pieces of the palate to get the jacks in place. And, you might have to disamble the palate once the safe is up on the jacks. If you want to move it afterwards, put some heavy duty wheels or rollers under it to roll it whereever you like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a place for a pulley above you could use ropes to lift it - pull the wood clear and then lower it back down.  Get some extra hands to steady it.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks M4,

But then how do I get the car jacks out?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Be a man, and lift it up!!

lol, on a more serious note, how are you going to get to your water heater????
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I poured a 3 1/2" thick slab with anchor bolts into the floor below (Bolt spacing to match mounting holes in safe bottom.) . To provide the clearance hole for the bolt I wrapped tape of 1/8" thickness, screwed in the bolts poured and leveled the slab. Once dry the bolts were removed, the tape pulled out and we're ready to go. I had lots of bodies and duck walked the safe in position and bolted them down. BUT I opted for (2) 600# safes instead of one honkin' one. Have the room separately alarmed and your
as good as you can get. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You can rol that safr anywhere you want it after you get it off with 3/4 in. pvc pipe pieces about 24 in. long. Be careful-friend of mine turned one over-he really needed help.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#12]
For any kind of heavy work, I just let it be known that I have a good supply of cold beer and in no time I have a moving crew. Four guys can handle that little job.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to tell you this. I see in the picture that you are near a water heater and a refridg. You are in a utility room or a basement. Keep it on the pallet. Water is your enemy as well as a theif. If that baby weighs 1300 pounds empty when you load it up with ammo cans full and guns it will be very hard to tip over. Mine is 550 pounds empty and with it full I might reach 650 and that bad boy is heavy. You have plenty of security there sleep tight. You did the best you could!!!!

One more thing. I notice you have a small type of folding ladder or step stool there. If you used it to help keep open the door so it wouldnt shut while taking the picture that means your floor is not level. If you move it be careful and take that into consideration. Be cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks M4,

View Quote

Ooooops......good point. As you can see, I've never moved one before. The overhead pulley idea sounds good, or simply get 4-5 friends to help tilt, slide and move it.

Make sure you remove the guns before trying to raise your Titanic safe!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
For security, you should remove it from the pallet and bolt it down.  If you leave it on the pallet, thieves will just bring a pallet jack and roll it right out the door an onto the liftgate of the truck they rented just to steal it.  Believe it or not, this happens alot.  

As mentioned before, don't try to pick it up.  Just walk it off so the CG is near the end and tip it up on the edge that's off the pallet and now on the ground.  Then just pull the pallet out.  If you have a pipe that's a diameter that's slightly greater than the height of the pallet, you could just slide it on that and use it to roll the safe off with a prybar.  Several pipes will let you maneuver it around.

If you have to move later on, safe movers have special pallet jacks that will lift it right off the concrete, no problem.  Because a pallet jack is limited to about 4-5000lb capacity, it's no problem to move a fully loaded safe around.  BOLT IT DOWN.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a fireproof safe right? Well then, set the pallet on fire! [:D] [pyro]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Walk it off the pallet, like the other guys said.  I hope you don't plan to leave it where it is, you'll be hating life when your water heater fails.  Bolt it down, too.  If you want to raise it off the floor, use 4 or 6 bricks, (not concrete block, it's too soft) gwet the hollow bricks and run your bolts thru it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks M4,

View Quote

If I had a big enough lever, I could move the world.
I would rock it back and forth with a couple of friends until you can balance it on edge and work the thing off the palate. Sawing the wood will be tough if it has wieght on it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Too bad you get get one of those anti-gravity things from star trek.  Stupid gravity!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the tips,

I think I am just going to leave it on the pallet and either pour a slab under it or shore up the pallet and lag it to the floor through the pallet (thanks beagles).

I can move the freezer myself so I am not too concerned about the water heater.  

The door wasn't being held open by the ladder, it was actually a couple feet away even though it looks like it in the picture.

I'm actually not too concerned about someone lifting it away as I have a bunch of nosey retired neighbors who watch the house like hawks, but I would like to lag it to the floor as we are in earthquake country here.

Thanks for all the tips and I will post pics when it is all done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top