Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/25/2022 10:39:33 PM EDT
I was coyote hunting last night. By myself and in the same general area which I usually do. I got 3 and called it a night and set off on the ten min or so ride back to my truck on my side by side. The trail was very enclosed and tight.

I got a super creepy feeling that I couldn’t shake - as if something was watching or following me.

I had both NV and thermal but didn’t use either on the ride back - just ran white lights. Couldn’t see behind me and there’s no way something was running along side me through the terrain.

I’m in the Southeast and there’s really no animals to be worried about. No gators because I wasn’t near water. No wolves. No mountain lions. Black bear but every one I’ve ever seen ran as fast as it could away from me.

What causes a feeling like that? (Besides being a pussy )
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We used to be hunted at night.  It's engrained in our genetic memory.  A self preservation thing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have in the past for sure creepy feeling I can’t shake
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We used to be hunted at night.  It's engrained in our genetic memory.  A self preservation thing.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it's happened to me, too. There are things out there. You probably won't see them, but they're there.

Always trust your gut.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you would've never seen it looking behind you.  They usually trail from a little behind and 10 feet up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I get it when night hunting too. Just a weird tingle that won’t stop
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You merely adopted the darkness, I was born in it, molded by it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
To and from my bow stands.  Always feel like im going to step on a bear or a skunk ??
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I get it when night hunting too. Just a weird tingle that won’t stop
View Quote

I think they make a cream for that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah. Pretty normal feeling. Also agree it's probably something engrained from eons of self preservation.

Hunting always got me. Usually because you're out in the middle of nowhere and often alone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It was the ghost of Harambe.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Trust your instincts, once when I was 12 I was hunting squirrels, on my way back to the house I was hoping g to find the horses and catch a ride. I started hearing something paralleling me. At first I thought I was hearing an armadillo or something. But it continued to far. I fired two shots into a tree trunk and hauled  ass. The next day they found the vehicle used by some escaped convicts less than 200 yards from where I was hunting. Can't say this was the but after that when my instincts said run, I ran.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes if I wake up from nightmare in the middle of a windy night, I can still be spooked for a little.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never been creeped out by night.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Not really...idgaf...I'm the biggest, baddest thing in my woods at night
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Better to be cautious than raped by a sasquatch, I always say.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
I have in the past for sure creepy feeling I can't shake
View Quote
Yep. I usually find it best to trust that instinct. I figure when calmly assess everything and still can't shake it, it is best to unass the area. We get that feeling for a reason, and we didn't stay off the dinner menu by ignoring it. Not to say something was going to eat you or whatever, but "trust your gut" has just proven to be a good motto to live by
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
OP has a guilty conscience.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Elephant in the room, no one will say it.  We've been out hiking in the middle of nowhere and have been overcome with the feeling of being watched, and then extreme dread. Not joking.
View Quote

This for sure.  I was pulled over with my girlfriend and we were just starting to go at it a little bit.  All of a sudden out of nowhere, I slam my truck into drive and mash the gas with her on my lap between me and the steering wheel.  When I told her that I felt like someone was watching us, she said she felt the same thing.  That was almost 30 years ago and to this day I can still picture the bearded old man standing about 3’ from my tailgate.  I have no idea if there was really an old guy watching us or if it was my mind manifesting him.  It still sends shivers up my spine and I can picture his face in the red light of my taillights.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
In grizz country hunting alone? Yeah, it has its moments.

Shit even camping in the east when the coyotes howl gives me a bit of pause. Logically, you know nothing is out there. But deep down in that cave man brain, something is telling you to be wary.

Whiskey helps.

All that said, something about being out there keeps me coming back. Some sort of connection with that cave man brain I don’t want to lose.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I know that feeling and I was in a similar situation.  

We were out 4 wheeling, I was on an ATV at the back of the line following several 4x4's.  For whatever reason I had to stop for a minute and when I couldn't see the tail lights of the trucks in front of me this weird primal fear set in.  I couldn't see anything outside of my little headlight, couldn't hear anything because of the ATV and wearing a helmet...it was weird and I had a panic feeling and hauled ass to catch up with the group.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Elephant in the room, no one will say it.  We've been out hiking in the middle of nowhere and have been overcome with the feeling of being watched, and then extreme dread. Not joking.
View Quote

Yep, I've felt like this as well. Even being armed didnt help me relax.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#28]
If it bleeds, you can kill it.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#29]
not being in the woods enough.

if you're in the woods only a few times a year its easy to get like that.  get in the woods. before you get going or whatever, just sit down against a tree or in the brush for like 30 minutes and have the woods accept you. be quiet, still, and use all your senses to absorb everything. if youre on indian mounds scan with thermal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it bleeds, you can kill it.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Dogman was stalking you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, guilty as charged.

One of the times I got the most intense case of it was just a few years ago. The BIL and I had gone up to Pinedale WY for Mountain Man Days. We were camped in my pop up truck camper a little northeast of Pinedale above the Bridger Resevoir.
We pulled back in after doing the day thing in town and we are just hanging out, we had finished up a little shooting and we are getting ready to fix dinner about an hour before sundown.
Now a typical mountain forest is fairly noisy with birds squawking, squirrels chattering etc, this time is no exception.
Suddenly the entire forest went dead quiet, even the ravens a good bit away that had been squawking all afternoon went silent. It stayed that way.
The BIL made a comment how eerie it was that it went that quiet so quickly.
Of course I had to take a piss in the middle of the night and I really didn’t want to piss in a bottle so there I am, big brave me standing on the tailgate of my truck with a Glock and a cock in my hands.
I heard a heavy footfall in the distance and if I wasn’t spooked enough to piss myself it’s a good thing I was already pissing.

The next morning we found a large pile of scat about 50 yards away from our camp and a print nearly the size of an 11 1/2 boot.

Things are out there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#33]
It's normal when a Chupacabra is hunting you. But seriously, it's what everyone else said about it being ingrained in us (and not a chupacabra or the ghost of harambe).
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Last time I had that feeling, I was hog hunting (alone) in Dixie County out by the Gulf with about a half mile or so walk back to where we were staying. I stayed out til about 2100 and headed back down the dirt road, but even with NVGs it was not bright enough out to see anything, really, as the night was overcast and it was starting to rain. The yotes had been howling right before the storm blew in and the whole way back it was quiet... to quiet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Something was probably trailing you.  Our species grew those instincts for a reason, and we didn't rise to the top of the food chain (usually) by getting too many false positives.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not child nor a woman, so no.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Definitely a Mothman

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You merely adopted the darkness, I was born in it, molded by it.
View Quote

“Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you."
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
nothing has eaten me yet or tried.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Don’t know what caused that feeling for you.

But you should put a rearward facing light bar on your SxS so you can check your 6 or just have light to work with regardless of which way your machine is pointing.

That way if you get the creeps again you can just flip em on and check your rear view.

You have subconscious  instincts that overtake your rational brain. It could be as simple as you smelling the fur of the yotes you killed putting your back hairs up involuntarily.

You could also have smelled a bears spoor. You might not even notice the odor, but your brain can autopilot you.

You know how cats jump when they see a cucumber in their peripheral vision? I won’t step on a snake. My brain will stop me when my eyes see one, even if my functioning brain hasn’t noticed it yet.

My brain also just leads me to game trails if I just go with the flow in the woods. I don’t make the decision to pick up and follow game. My brain knows where to find them and it just does it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't rape the willing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Screech owls
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But you should put a rearward facing light bar on your SxS so you can check your 6 or just have light to work with regardless of which way your machine is pointing.

That way if you get the creeps again you can just flip em on and check your rear view.

You have subconscious  instincts that overtake your rational brain. It could be as simple as you smelling the fur of the yotes you killed putting your back hairs up involuntarily.

You could also have smelled a bear.

You know how cats jump when they see a cucumber in their peripheral vision? I won’t step on a snake. My brain will stop me when my eyes see one, even if my functioning brain hasn’t noticed it yet.

My brain also just leads me to game trails if I just go with the flow in the woods. I don’t make a conscientious decision to pick up and follow game. My brain knows where to find them and it just does it.
View Quote

You're hardwired at a subconscious level for a whole lot of neat stuff innawoods.  It's nice to get out and see it turn on and start working.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I went in a big 1/2 finished resort/spa that was shut down after obama was elected to price out some work. It was dried in but no interior finishes.
We had been gone about 2 years and everything seemed the same but it creaped me out.

I live in the woods next to a indian grave site so the woods at night don't bother me.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll decide who does what to whom.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Whether you’re being hunted by a two legged or four legged predator, your instincts are screaming the same alert.  Fight or flight!  Also people who tell you to ignore your survival instincts are stupid.  Ignore them, not your instincts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To and from my bow stands.  Always feel like im going to step on a bear or a skunk ??
View Quote

Same, but a skunk would likely be the most dangerous thing I would run into here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay a couple years ago walking my down around midnight. Midsummer. He had stopped to pee on a bush or tree and I thought I heard a bunch of crickets, however I quickly got a very uneasy feeling. Simply an instruction to leave. I pulled on the leash and we walked on.  A couple minutes later I had calmed down and I started wondering what made me feel so creeped out. Then tried to remember my boyscout days and if there are rattlesnakes in Ohio as I recognized what that sound was.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're hardwired at a subconscious level for a whole lot of neat stuff innawoods.  It's nice to get out and see it turn on and start working.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could also have smelled a bear.

My brain also just leads me to game trails if I just go with the flow in the woods. I don’t make a conscientious decision to pick up and follow game. My brain knows where to find them and it just does it.

Yup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top