Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2001 8:25:11 PM EDT
I do not know about the rest of you but just since fri. mourning I have been almost hit three times and once had to go off the road to keep from being hit and witnessed another almost accident where another car just changed lanes and almost caused a accident and guess what all four incidents they had a cell phone stuck to their ear. they also were all women. so should the use of hand held phones be banned while driving or just the use by women while driving?  man its getting nuts out there lately.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well make it against the law to discuss religion or politics with anyone else in the car.  Or make it illegal to drive without having at least eight hours sleep beforehand.

Probably shouldn't even let goodlooking chicks drive or ride in cars.  They are certainly a distraction to male drivers.

Are they gonna outlaw CBs in tractor-trailers?

Just remember what you're doing and you'll be jes' fine.  

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
I drive for a living, and most of the time I witness erratic driving or inattention to the traffic, it is by other "drivers" being on the cell-phone.
The other times, the drivers are Asian...(I know, it's a bad joke).
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
People almost nail me 3-4 times a week here in CA. These people are morons.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That has more to do with living in CA, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Some people can't drive with or without a distraction. Some can drive fine with several distractions.  Why don't we punish everone for the actions of a few? Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely BAN them!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A recent American Automobile Association (AAA) study found that cell phones  are  the cause of only 1.5 percent of the 284,000 distraction-related accidents each  year. The other causes?

Eating and drinking: 1.7 percent
Other occupants in the vehicle: 10.8 percent
Adjusting radio, cassette or CD: 11.4 percent (adjusting the air conditioner or heater was an additional 2.8  percent)

For the math deficient out there, that means hamburgers are slightly more hazardous than wireless phones, radios are 7.6 times the distraction and conversing people are 7.2 times the hazard.

Most frightening of all is that 15 percent of the distraction-related accidents  were caused because the driver just wasn't paying attention. That's 10 times as many accidents as were caused by cell phones, and there's not a thing we can  ban  to fix it. Unless you want to ban thinking and driving.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Good post, madkiwi.

I talk on the cell-phone in my car, usually just on 2 hour drives between home and school.  It doesn't inhibit my ability to operate the vehicle any less - usually just drive with 1 hand anyway, and I am always able to put up a 2nd if need be.  I check my mirrors, use my signals, watch my speed, check blind spots, and all of the other "good driver checklists" on and off the phone.

And yes, if you ban car phones of any kind, you must ban ANY activity external of operating a motor vehicle; this includes eating, drinking, operating the comfort/radio controls of the interior, applying makeup, fixing one's hair, and any other thing anybody may dream up that doesn't involve 2 hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at one time.  Final outcome:  cell phone ban becomes frivolous when new stimuli like above come into play.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The stats are funny.  Every single day I am almost hit by someone gabbing on the phone but never have a problem with someone eating or radio adjusting.  Sure enough 9 out of 10 times it is by a cell phone user.  

Just because you can drink and drive and someone else can't doesn't mean they should let everyone do it.  If you need to talk on the fukin phone that bad pull over or get off the road.  I am sick of almost getting hit by some women drive a 6000 pound death sled while trading gosip to her soccer mom friends.      Get rid of them.  I don't remember anything in the constitution about phones.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
No, bans solve nothing.  Anyone here should know that. Simply make anyone who causes a fatal accident due to the negligent use of a cell phone guilty of manslaughter, same as DUI manslaughter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Good idea, RikWriter. I'll second that!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, bans solve nothing.  Anyone here should know that. Simply make anyone who causes a fatal accident due to the negligent use of a cell phone guilty of manslaughter, same as DUI manslaughter.
View Quote

See how easy it is for people to run to and cry for mommy government to solve all of their "problems"?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Next thing you know, they will be banning Lewinski's. Jesus man, what the hell is the difference between talking to someone on the phone or someone in your vehicle? Isn't that why it was invented in the first place? So you don't miss calls when your out and about?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
like guns, it's just another scapegoat.  I use mine every now and then with no trouble.  Yet I see others, most often in luxury cars talking on cell phones and totally ignoring the task of driving.  If you are intending to have a long meeting with the special client, why not try face to face... if your running late and want to call the wife and keep her from worrying make it a quick call.  Most of all, if your a moron who is so unable to do 2 things at once, stick to the task at hand of driving.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
So what's the eXcuse for the times I've been hit by people not being on the cell phone?

Another inatimate object being blamed for societies ill's.

BTW, I still see people without their seatbelts.  "F" them legislators!

Some cities even talking about banning them on the train & bus.  

WTF is a train?  

A damm Christian Science Reading Room?

There's no damm difference talking loud on the phone or to the person in front of you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Every morning I see countless women leaving our subdivison talking on the cell phone. WTF they
just left their house seconds ago and they are
on the phone. Cell phones in hand, coffee, smokes, makeup, YADA BLAH BLAH. The outher day
this woman was at a stop light screaming in her cell when the light turned green she didn't move. I was halfway to the next light before she started moving. It is a very serious problem
and something has to be done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#23]
:( I can’t believe the stuff I’m reading on this topic of banning cell phone use in cars. This is AR-15.com not http://mommy-mommy-make-the-government-ban-anything-that-could-hurt-me.com !!!!!

If there is ANY  person who posts to  this site who thinks cell phones use should be regulated in any way…..then they might as well turn their rifles in at the next “gun safety” guns-for-hugs turn-in and pick up their $50 check .  I’m serious.  One of the foundations of individual firearms ownership  in this country is that “if you are not directly hurting anyone else, then your rights and privacy must be protected.”  If you ban the use of phones because of a few careless drivers, the case can easily be made to ban the very rifles of which you discuss on this site.  

If you are not consistent in your thinking about preserving freedom, then  what is the point of even having a 2 nd amendment ?

I used to wear a seatbelt all the time.  Now that they have these stupid mandatory seatbelt laws….I don’t want to wear it.  In fact I don’t wear it.  The idea that they are passing a law “for my good” turns my stomach.  What business is it of theirs if I am hurt in an accident?  The only thing that I am hurting is their aggregate insurance premiums, and if we are going to live our lives by that principle then  we should just declare ourselves a communist country and be done with it.

Nowadays you cant even ride a dam bicycle without a helmet and not get hassled by cops.

I am all for safety and am a safe driver…..but before long, you wont be able to walk down the street without violating one law or another.  

Judge: “Sir, didn’t you know that this state has a mandatory no-cell phone in car law” ?

Defendant: “No”

Judge: “Ignorance of the law is no excuse, 500 dollar fine”

I usually don’t like to post on this kind of stuff cause it pisses me off. :(
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#24]
It's like gun laws.  Enforce the existing laws on driving erratically and you won't need new ones.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#25]
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had a few close calls with drivers with cell phones stuck on there ears also.I don't believe that there should be a ban on there use though.Don't we already have enough laws? Don't most if not all states have laws that covers accidents caused by a driver being distracted and causing an accident? I agree with Ross. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#27]
man I agree after reading some of these post that theres a problem out there with some folks use of the phones. when I posted this thread I was still thinking about all of the close calls I have had over the last three days. I also understand we should not just pass laws just to pass laws just like our gun laws and I myself think helmet laws are not right also. I know there are all kinds of reasons for accidents and most all of us have caused one once in their life. but I don't know sometimes I just get tired of those folks trying to run me over and it pisses me off. if they didn't have all of those road rage laws getting out and popping one in the mouth might make them think twice before useing one and not being responsible. my wife saw this post and agreed its a tough problem as she told me about a lady talking on a cell phone that was right next to her and the speed limit is 55 and my wife stopped for the light and that lady just blew though it. scarry. all of that in just 3 days. I can not wait tell I get out of here and move somewhere like wyoming where I should not have to worry about gun laws and cell phones.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#28]
jc,cell phones and gun laws are creeping in to all areas.Moving to the country will buy you some time,but we're losing ground every day.Keep driving defensively.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#30]
just a reality check for all, parts of upstate new york and long island already BANNED the use of cell phones! can you say H-i-l-l-a-r-y ???

(i hate the B word!)

my .02 is that people were driving like "----" before cell phones were invented! these are same people who spill hot coffee on themselves and sue!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#31]
A3snake, good points. The worst part is that some Chuckie-Schumer-wannabe will champion this cause--FOR THE CHILDREN, and we will have yet another government intrusion on our lives. Then they'll need more money for more enforcement, and more of our taxes will get taken.

Driving will always be dangerous--drive defensively.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#32]
More laws, yes indeed, we need more laws. How about no make up in the rear view while driving? More damned laws, are you kidding?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Double, triple, or even quadruple the $ amount for any moving violation ticket where driver was observed on a cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Simply should be a moving violation to use a Cell Phone while driving. There are far too many inattentive drivers. The same should go for headphones since you really can't hear emergeny vehicles. My 0.02
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#37]
You`re right Waldo, but do I need a law if I can chew gum and drive at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Were there accidents before the cell phone? I suspect that there were. accidents will happen, that's why they're called accidents, not "on purpose". The reason varies as much as people which cause them. No two causes are alike, so it's very hard to eliminate them completely. The more people that drive, the more accidents will occur. In fact,the way some people drive,i'm surprised that there aren't more accidents than there really are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You`re right Waldo, but do I need a law if I can chew gum and drive at the same time?
View Quote

How about the trite phrase, "if it just saves one life, it will be worth it?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's like gun laws.  Enforce the existing laws on driving erratically and you won't need new ones.  

Ross
View Quote

Right on!!!

I must say, however, that living in the PRK and dealing with the gnarly rush hour traffic on the freeways I consider cell phones to be a special nemesis.  I see FAR more near collisions caused by people driving while holding a cell phone in one hand than by people eating.  Specifically when merging onto the freeway or changing lanes.

Other pet nemeses of mine are people reading, putting on makeup, fixing their hair, shaving, etc.

If talking on a cell phone causes a person to be unable to pay attention to the traffic conditions and causes an accident, that is WRECKLESS DRIVING and should be treated as such.

We do NOT need more laws.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#42]
yes I agree we don't need another law. and alot of states already have laws including mine. I do believe maybe I should just more carefull and aware of them when I drive.
I do eat when driving quite often but I find myself more aware of my surroundings because I'am eating or drinking a soda. I think it does not take to many brain cells to put a burger in my mouth. not to much to think about, put it in my mouth and eat. but that soccer mom who knows it could be like. what are you going to wear today and who's going to the soccer game. its bad in some areas.
you go to prison here for speeding and causing a accident in which someone dies. they call it road rage or aggressive driving. but kill someone while doing the speed limit talking on the phone and its a hard thing to prove just a accident.
Hey I got a great ideal lets reverse the big city's controling everything like gun laws and the such and pass a law that makes it only illegal to use a cell phone while driving within the city limits of big cities like denver or l.a. cell phones kill more folks in those city's than guns lets outlaw them for those anti gun folks that just have to have a cell phone and the only number they can call is 911 to rat each other out!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How about the trite phrase, "if it just saves one life, it will be worth it?"
View Quote

No, it's not trite: it's ridiculous.  Everything can kill anybody if used correctly.  Bricks cause radiation (as does anything else), so much all homes be built from clay/mud or stucko, because it's "for the children"?

(Bill O'Reilly mode ON)
How about instead of banning cell phones, we have tougher prosecution against "reckless driving" for people who obviously weren't watching the road or driving responsibly (which ccan include cell phones) when they got into ttheir accident.
(Bill O'Reilly mode OFF)

Or hey, how about this: tougher sentences for f'kers who drunk drive and hit somebody?  I see drunk driving rampant, but nobody wants to do much about it besides "suspend the driver's license".  How about throwing in attempted murder while you're at it?  A friend of mine was killed 7 years ago by some n'ger (and I have the right to use that word in this case) who was driving drunk, and 30 mph over the 55 posted speed limit, and T-boned her from the side, causing her to fly off the bridge into a ditch.  He went to jail; I think he should have fried.

But no, that's not our policy to fry people who murder innocents.  No, no, we send them to prison for 60 years, so they can live off of our tax dollars for the rest of their life, and "learn from their mistakes" like a g'damn 5-year old sitting in the corner.   This cell-phone/seat belt bullshit has to stop, and it can only be done so by responsible drivers speaking out about the uselessness of the law, and the other evils out there which are far worse than "cell-phones".

If I get pulled over with a cell-phone in use, and get charged for it, I'll simply say "it's a digital phone, not cellular".  Tedious, trivial methods like this sometimes have to be taken for tedious, trivial legislature like this one.

A Pissed off Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#44]
No.  Idiots should be banned.

Nuff said
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top