Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2004 4:21:30 PM EDT
First off, I have never been to Washington, DC. I live in Michigan and drive the vehicle that was ticketed by mistake M-F to work.

I just recieved via mail a "Notice of Unsatisfied Parking Tickets" from the District of Columbia. The notice said that I failed to answer within 30 days the notice of infraction issued to my vehicle. I never received any prior notice.

The fine was for $100, and then they added a $100 penalty.

The date of the ticket was May 25, 7:02am. The notice says that within 60 days of the infraction, if I do not pay the full amount, appear for an in-person hearing, or request mail adjudication, I am deemed to have admitted the commission of the infraction.

How do I fight this? It is obvious that someone made a typo and got the wrong plate number. Can I request a copy of the ticket? Will it have the manufacturer and make of the vehicle written on it? Should I write a letter and get some co-workers to sign it stating I and the vehicle was at work that day? Would it help to make a copy and enclose the page of my Engineers log book that shows what I did that day?

Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Call them and tell them the situation.

I have had my license suspended three times by the dumb pukes down at the state DOL, all because of paperwork errors.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Send them back a letter saying you live in MI, the vehicle has never been to DC and you are not responsible for any parking tickets. Thank them for taking care of the problem.

I've gotten crap like that from Chicago; twice.

Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
And if they still give you shit about it, tell them you have contacted a lawyer, and you will be filing a complaint. After all, what can they do to you?
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to call for a supervisor in D.C. Parking Enforcement section. Talk to them over the phone is much better than sending a letter. Request a copy of the ticket by mail and see if they can advise you of the Make and model. The reason it said you fail to respond to the first notice is that the first notice is the actual parking ticket being issued. Most jurisdictions will work it out with you. Make sure you take care of it in a timely manner because a lot of large jurisdictions can get you pretty hard even over a parking ticket like taking it out of wages, messing with tax returns and other things, even out of state. It would be best to call them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not pay, DC needs your money because once Marion Barry is re-elected into the city counsel he will need his cocaine fix again.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You need to call for a supervisor in D.C. Parking Enforcement section. Talk to them over the phone is much better than sending a letter. Request a copy of the ticket by mail and see if they can advise you of the Make and model. The reason it said you fail to respond to the first notice is that the first notice is the actual parking ticket being issued. Most jurisdictions will work it out with you. Make sure you take care of it in a timely manner because a lot of large jurisdictions can get you pretty hard even over a parking ticket like taking it out of wages, messing with tax returns and other things, even out of state. It would be best to call them.

Good luck with calling.  I've been there.  Here's a link to help, it's a start.
DC DPW
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why not pay, DC needs your money because once Marion Barry is re-elected into the city counsel he will need his cocaine fix again.  

good burn...
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an outstanding warrant on me from some town I had never heard of or been to.  It showed up on a security clearance application.  It was going to cost my job if not handled within a week, so a lawyer and 600 bucks took care of it.

One reason I am against databases on this stuff, some moron always screws it up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is an update,

I followed the advice of those here, called the Districe Of Columbia DMV and got hold of a guy who brought up the ticket electronically. It was for a Ford SUV.  I own a Ford Focus. Clearly the cop got the wrong plate number and I got the ticket instead.

You can not call in to D.C. and get a ticket review over the phone (they will not even talk to you), you must go through the  "Mail Adjudication Services".  I wrote a very polite letter, included the registration of my Focus, and explained to them that my Focus could never be mistaken as a SUV and that a simple error had been made.

Here is an excerpt from my letter,

This is a mistake and both my wife and I are innocent of this infraction. The vehicle listed in ticket # ******* has never been in the District of Columbia. It is driven daily here in Michigan to work from Ypsilanti to Dearborn. Both my wife and I, or our vehicles have never been in the District of Columbia.

I spoke on the phone with a Mr. Alexander Wiggins to get more information about the ticket. After he pulled it up on the computer, the ticket listed the vehicle as a Ford SUV.

We do not own any SUV’s, and the vehicle with plate #****** is a Ford Focus, not the Ford SUV listed on the ticket. I have enclosed a copy of the Michigan Certificate of Title and registration to prove this fact.   If requested from the D.C. DMV, I will also provide signed statements from my co-workers stating that my Ford Focus vehicle was in Dearborn, MI from 8:00am to 5:30 pm on the day the ticket was issued. I drive it to work daily.

Please correct this mistake and notify me when this mistake is corrected. I also request a copy of the original ticket which I never received.

Sincerely,

I got their reply Saturday, and needles to say those JERKS still say I am liable and have to pay the fine. If I want to find out why I was found liable, I have to pay a $50 transcript fee, no reason was given by their reply. I can appeal their decision, but I have to pay a $10 appeal fee, plus $50 for a transcript, plus the amount of the original fine. Failure of any of these payments will result in an automatic dismissal of the appeal.  Then the letter says I only have 5 days of the post mark of the letter to pay the original fine!

Those bastards can go to hell. This is nothing but extortion.  There is no way they are going to get a cent out of me.  It's a corrupt money-making scheme. I'm not stupid enough to send in more money to them just to have a appeal denied. If I lose again, they keep everything.

I have nothing but contempt for the traffic division of D.C. If anyone on this board works for them and participates in this extortion, you are nothing but scum.

Must be a lot more officials in D.C who need extra cash for their cocaine fix.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that is terrible. Now I really would contact a lawyer if only on principle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Write them another letter with a polite FUCK OFF
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe one of your local representatives can sort it out for you?

Otherwise, yeah, they can F.O.A.D.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm starting a legal search tomorrow to see if I can file anything against the D.C. traffic division here in Michigan.

I would love to file a charge of extortion if possible. and make them come here to fight it.  I am really pissed off and want to cause them as much trouble as humanly (and legally) possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Where's the blue wall to proclaim that you must have done it because they never make mistakes?????????
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, I just brought this up with my father and he said the same thing as JCKnife- contact your congressman. This is a prefect example of the types of things that they can help local constituents out with. My grandfather actually encountered a similar situation and had it kindly resolved by our representative after calling and writing a letter. Please keep us up to date.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Write them another letter with a polite FUCK OFF

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Send them another letter instructing them to roll up the letter, cover it with a condom and insert into the orafice of their choice, because it is the only satisfaction they are going to receive in this matter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
You will need to appear for an in-person hearing.

Then prove that the tag belongs to a Ford Focus, Not to a Ford suv.

Ticket is writen for a Suv not a Focus.

Case must be droped by law.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#23]
There's a handy statute called the Unfair Debt Collection Practices Act. There's a federal version, and I'd bet your state has one of its own.  Under this act, an entity which attempts to collect a debt which it knows or should know is not owed is liable for actual or statutory minimum damages, plus attorney fees. It seems to me that by mailing the collection to you in your home state, they violated the law in your state, bringing them within the jurisdiction of your courts. I'm not sure about DC, but most cities are regarded as corporate entities, and even if they have some degree of immunity in their own courts, probably have none in the courts of a foreign state. If you sued them, chances are they'd fail to respond within the required time (bureaucracy being what it is and DC being America's Cradle of Incompetence) and you could default them and proceed to collection, with DC picking up the tab for the whole shooting match.

Bwahahahahaha.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I know how you feel.  I've been a wanted man in Iola, KS, since 1975.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
reason #92571925179251624312979514795474987156

that i hate the police.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#26]
DC has become a 3rd world rat hole.  Last time I was up there, I was reading a local rag article about the EMSsystem.  Seems the city would not pay repair bills and parts invoices for their ambulance fleet.  So, as a result , the city was down to 2 operational first responder type ambulances. 12 or 14 were out of service waiting on engins, transmissions, etc.

Sounds like they have discovered a new revenue source, shake down out of staters.

Send a letter to your congressman.  Send copies of correspondance you have received.  Ask for his help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#27]
This was all made possible by vehicle registration.  And as you're about to find out, vehicle registration is just the first step to vehicle confiscation.
just kidding.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Guys, it was probably a meter maid that wrote it anyway, some high school drop out hired because a bureucrat thought it was the best way to help him get off crack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, that would REALLY tick me off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#31]
What happened to "Innocent until PROVEN guilty?"

Welcome to AmeriKa
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Guys, it was probably a meter maid that wrote it anyway, some high school drop out hired because a bureucrat thought it was the best way to help him get off crack.

Have to agree with you on this one.  The meter mail probably made an honest mistake (between hits on the crack pipe) writing down the plate number or state.

The problem is the corrupt traffic division ignoring the clear evidence I sent them proving it was not my vehicle. They are just trying to shake down someone from out of state since they know I can't travel all the way to DC just to fight a parking ticket.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd tell them to eat a dick, if I told them anything at all.. I'd most likely ignore it, if you're not planning on ever getting a security clearance or going to DC with that car.

City of Seattle tried the same shit with me, they still think I owe them like $400 for some reason. I take a different car to Seattle
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Just send all the paper work to me. I'll take it across the river and throw it in the trash for you.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to agree with you on this one.  The meter mail probably made an honest mistake (between hits on the crack pipe) writing down the plate number or state.

The problem is the corrupt traffic division ignoring the clear evidence I sent them proving it was not my vehicle. They are just trying to shake down someone from out of state since they know I can't travel all the way to DC just to fight a parking ticket.

Check my previous post. You may be able to stuff in their pooper from your hometown.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#36]
guilty until proven innocent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, welcome to Mexico....these guys are definitely not part of the 50..

As a side not I used to go surfing in Newport Beach and got some parking tickets that I apparently either did not see (someone removed them from windshield) or ignored.  I sold the car that had the tickets and headed for Hawaii and Australia.  Learned from my mom later on that the guy that bought the car ended up paying for the tickets as a sort of lien on title.  Being from another jurisdiction I don't know what will happen here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What happened to "Innocent until PROVEN guilty?"

Welcome to AmeriKa

Not exactly. The ticket is or includes a summons explaining how to contest the charge. It is served by placing it on the vehicle. Failure to respond results in a default, same as in a civil lawsuit. A default admits the allegations of the complaint.

The actual defect here is faulty service (by placing the summons on a car other than the one listed by tag # on the summons).  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow!  Proves my theory that DC is full of assholes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Just Ignore the ticket.   Did it come on a pink piece of paper with D.C.C. or C.D.C. on the top?

I live in MD and have ignored DC tickets before.  I have received many so called collection agency notices and nothing has ever happened.  They eventually give up and stop sending the notices.

I have even used the mail adjunct while having outstanding ticket and won.  

Hey, they don't put the boot on until you have 3 outstanding tickets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check my previous post. You may be able to stuff in their pooper from your hometown.

This seems like the best idea so far. I just have to see if the Unfair Debt Collection Practices Act, or something similar can be used in a case like this.

Just hiring an attorney to fight the ticket is out because the legal costs would far outweigh the cost of paying the ticket. I have to find one that would work on comission. He would have to be reasonably sure he could collect in a lawsuit before taking the case.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just Ignore the ticket.   Did it come on a pink piece of paper with D.C.C. or C.D.C. on the top?

I live in MD and have ignored DC tickets before.  I have received many so called collection agency notices and nothing has ever happened.  They eventually give up and stop sending the notices.

Never got a ticket, was not my vehicle. The ticket was placed on a Ford SUV, I own a Focus.  In my letter I sent them, I requested a copy of it, but they will not send it.  In my conservation with the DMV, the person could bring up the ticket electronically, told me it it was issued on a Ford SUV, and said the only way I could get a copy was to "appear in person" and pay a $10 fee. I can not even send a check for a copy. You are required to request a copy in person at their office. This is just another scheme they setup to shake down someone from out of state.

The only thing they will send me are notices to send money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never got a ticket, was not my vehicle. The ticket was placed on a Ford SUV, I own a Focus.  In my letter I sent them, I requested a copy of it, but they will not send it.  In my conservation with the DMV, the person could bring up the ticket electronically, told me it it was issued on a Ford SUV, and said the only way I could get a copy was to "appear in person" and pay a $10 fee. I can not even send a check for a copy. You are required to request a copy in person at their office. This is just another scheme they setup to shake down someone from out of state.

I understand you didn't get the ticket, so then, just ignore the notices.   They will stop sending notices.   They can't do anything to you.  Stop wasting time on the DC gubment.

I live in the surrounding state.  Have been issued tickets wrongfully.  Mailed in a defense.  Lost.  Never paid the ticket.  Never heard squat from them after receiving so called collection agency notices.  Most likely like the one you received.

Did you get a noticed like the on I described?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I understand you didn't get the ticket, so then, just ignore the notices.   They will stop sending notices.   They can't do anything to you.  Stop wasting time on the DC gubment.

I live in the surrounding state.  Have been issued tickets wrongfully.  Mailed in a defense.  Lost.  Never paid the ticket.  Never heard squat from them after receiving so called collection agency notices.  Most likely like the one you received.

Did you get a noticed like the on I described?

Nope, white paper with "NOTICE OF UNSATISFIED PARKING TICKETS" in bold within a solid pink box in the upper right, and in the upper left there are two horizontal red stripes under three red stars.

The corrupt DC revenue machine won't get anything from me, but I am investigating legal ways to make them pay for their extortion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#45]

I got a parking ticket in July. They had a construction sign right in front of the parking hours sign. I had a policeman direct me to the place I parked, he said, "you'll be good all day there".

So I get the ticket on my car, car's hauled up on the grass and the ass tow truck guy drives by, waves and smiles at me. Ass! I called my two senators and they said that there was nothing that they could do about it. Thanks for nothing.

I tried to pay the ticket to just get it over with. I tried paying through there website, it wouldn't come up with data. It just said that my ticket wasn't in there system. So I waited a week, same thing. I waited 3 more days, nothing. So I called their office number 3 days before the money was suppose to be in. The guy on the phone was rude and said that my ticket info hadn't been put in the computer. I said, "So how am I going to get this paid without penalties?" He said, I was out of luck and that it wasn't their fault that it wasn't in the computer.

So I sent them a notice of denial and told them that my ticket hadn't been put in the system and they could push monkey's out of their butts for all I care. DC parking....it is EXTORTION!

And I would be glad to sue them in federal court! Oh yeah, I forgot, I would lose because my dad is not a senator or is related to the Kennedy's.

DC can kiss my butt from now on and I'll never go back there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
reason #92571925179251624312979514795474987156

that i hate the police.

In DC it isn't the police that do this shit, it's a separate agency of "meter maids".  It's the only DC agency that is even a little efficient.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#47]
send a couple more letters stating your  innocence with pics of the car etc- keep a copy for yourself of all this then forget about it-if they ever give you real heat refer to previous attemts to communicate.  At least you will havew some proof of your attempt to clear this up
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where's the blue wall to proclaim that you must have done it because they never make mistakes?????????

Waiting for morons to run their mouth about ever mistake they make, because unlike YOU, they arent perfect.

You'll have to speak louder, I doubt he can hear you, with his head so firmly up his............ well you know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My gut reaction is that you should send a letter telling them they caused $500 in damage to the car windshield when the ticket was placed on it, and if they want for $20 you'll produce a picture of the windshield, which they'll have to request in person.

Then give them 7 days to pay........................

But that won't work. Sorry you are "getting it".
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
send a couple more letters stating your  innocence with pics of the car etc- keep a copy for yourself of all this then forget about it-if they ever give you real heat refer to previous attemts to communicate.  At least you will havew some proof of your attempt to clear this up

+1
Send the letter "registered mail" with "return receipt" which "provides a postcard with the date of delivery and recipient's signature".  Good luck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top