Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2022 12:30:04 PM EDT
TL DR- Will Russet potatoes grow in 8" of soil and/or in the hole/spaces of cinder blocks?

At our old home, 1/3 of the back yard was a big garden.  I had ~50 tomato plans, 30 pepper plants, cukes, zukes, lettuce, eggplant, basil.  However, at this home, I kinda took a break from gardening over the past 10-12 years.  This year, I bought a bunch of cinder blocks, has two tons of mushroom compost delivered and put a thick layer of cardboard under everything prior to setting it up.  But now I have a 4'x12' garden.  Unfortunately, I started the seeds indoors way too soon and the first round all died.  Then I experimented with planting some seeds in the ground garden 2-3 weeks ago.  When I didn't see any sprouts over the week, I got antsy and just went and bought a few plants (3 tomato, watermelon, strawberry, cuke, and zucchini) just so we might have something to eat fresh.  At the same time I started germinating more seeds inside as another effort to diversify.  

Well the weather warmed up significantly over the past week and everything except the peppers and tomatoes have started sprouting and looks VERY healthy!! We are going to have a metric fuck ton of fruits and veggies if this keeps up!!! All the seeds I thoughts were dead are not very healthy and growing exponentially!  So we'll have 20 stalks of sweet corn (no clue if we'll actually get any corn), 2 golden cherry tomato, 3 strawberry, 3-4 watermelon, 1-3 beefsteak tomato, jalapeno pepper plant, 4-5 cuke, 4-5 yellow squash, 3 zucchini, a bunch of carrots, radishes, and onions.  Not sure if the basil is coming up yet.  

However, I also have some potatoes and would like to try my hand at growing those.  I have 3-4 old potatoes that I've sectioned and have dried/scabbed over (to protect from mold) over the past few days.  All sections have eyes but only two sections have very healthy/developed eyes.  Again, this is just to experiment, but I have a 2'x3' space in the middle of the garden AND I have multiple cinder block holes/spaces I can plant them in.  However, the depth of the soil at this point is about 8", the ground is heavily layered in cardboard, and I do have the option to stack a few cinder blocks 2 high if 16" of depth (in the cinder block's holes) would be better for potatoes.  But for those with experience, what are your thoughts on how to go about planting these?   In the cinder block holes?  Double up cinder blocks?  Plant in the middle of the garden?  

Please share your experience and suggestions.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You can grow potatoes in 5 gallon buckets so...

@Emt1581

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We're gonna start potatoes soon too, 15x30 at the moment but plenty of space to spread out

Cucumbers zucchini, tomatoes 6 types of peppers, cork, onions, melons, peas, green beans already in the ground corn watermelons and carrots started from seed, everything else is small plants.

I have some onions and potatoes yet we are cutting and planting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can grow potatoes in 5 gallon buckets so...

@Emt1581

View Quote

5 gallon buckets that are only filled with 8" of soil or....?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're gonna start potatoes soon too, 15x30 at the moment but plenty of space to spread out

Cucumbers zucchini, tomatoes 6 types of peppers, cork, onions, melons, peas, green beans already in the ground corn watermelons and carrots started from seed, everything else is small plants.

View Quote

How deep is your soil and are you growing the potatoes in rows or in smaller spaces/containers?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I would imagine you can grow potatoes in 8".  1 per and plant it with 4" under it and then 2" on top. Add the final 2" when they get 3" tall.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah I would imagine you can grow potatoes in 8".  1 per and plant it with 4" under it and then 2" on top. Add the final 2" when they get 3" tall.
View Quote

In thinking about it, seems like they would yield more and bigger potatoes if in rows rather than in the cinder block holes.  But won't cost me anything to try both I suppose.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then why does full English breakfast include tomato slices?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Because British Empire!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In thinking about it, seems like they would yield more and bigger potatoes if in rows rather than in the cinder block holes.  But won't cost me anything to try both I suppose.  

Thanks
View Quote

How many potatoes are you going to plant?  If only 4-5, plant shallow and go up.  Hundreds?  Put them in rows .
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Theyll grow, or not grow based on the available plot size. You wouldnt get much of a yield in the amount of space you described, but maybe you only want fingerlings? I'd try something like this instead.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then why does full English breakfast include tomato slices?
View Quote

"british empire" includes more than one island
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]

potato, tomato

"lets call the whole thing off"

Ella F. and Louis Armstrong - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
How exactly do potatoes grow?  Plant a chunk with eyes and the eyes sprout plants, but then were do the new taters come from?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How exactly do potatoes grow?  Plant a chunk with eyes and the eyes sprout plants, but then were do the new taters come from?
View Quote
All tubers are root vegetables, the potatoes will grow underground.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't mean to be a dick and please forgive me if I sound like that but you are atleast 30 years old as of your join date.... and your asking where potatoes come from?   Shall I explain the baby process as well?

OK rant off. Sorry man but we do have to keep each other honest every once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How deep is your soil and are you growing the potatoes in rows or in smaller spaces/contaDemocrat.

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How deep is your soil and are you growing the potatoes in rows or in smaller spaces/contaDemocrat.

Thanks

This is not scientific at all here, we're digging 6-8 inch holes about 18" apart, filling it with mushroom soil and stuffing a sprouting potato piece in it. Push the other dirt back over it all and water profusely. This is going into an area that is a combo of backfill and clay with a good layer of topsoil over it. Topsoil is of the very dark brown variety. Honestly I've don't tomatoes and peppers before. This is the first time we're branching out so much cause I don't want to starve to death under a democrat.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the holes in cinder blocks are going to be to small, they will grow but the yield will be small. Our soil isn’t great for potatoes but we still get 2 x 3 lbs / plant spread out about a foot in every direction from center. They take up space.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top