Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never stationed there, but I never heard a bad thing about The Presidio from my friends stationed there back in the day.

Ft Carson

Tripler/Fort Shafter

Ft Sam

Fitzsimons was great in the 90s, in pre-commie Denver.

View Quote

It was pretty nice. I only used the commissary and MWR there. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
NAS Pensacola was my favorite.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Base Miami Beach
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Marine Corps Base Hawaii is 100x better than any of the Army installations in Hawaii.
View Quote

Probably
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
i did time at ft. lewis and vilseck germany. would go back to lewis if i could do it all over again.  we would rent boats on the weekend and fish on American lake as the eagles would swoop in and grab their lunch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I figured any place with less than 2,000 personnel was a lottery ticket to get stationed at.
View Quote
Niche units not really subject to the base COC like the HF SIGINT section at Garlstedt operating the elephant cage had it very chill.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Base Miami Beach
View Quote

Was in Miami Beach last year while Gina was there, great Cuban food and it’s nice area but the women I saw on the beach were meh. I’m told the tourists aren’t hot so the local women show up in summer so I missed them and the humidity. Little Havana had a couple very hot women when I was visiting. Gina is a fan of the Cuban food, good times.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My dad was stationed in Korea
He was an NCO ans had a house in town.  Complete with a tall (for them) beautiful korean woman.
He would vote Korea I wager
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Base life ebbs and flows with mission and leadership.  The only real fairly constant variables are the surrounding areas, and often the quality of the infrastructure on the post itself.  

For Army I would say Fort Carson Colorado, Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX, and JBLM in Washington state.

I think there is still an MP company at Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That's one of the few I can thunk of where loving in base is probably preferred.

In most places, even if the area is nice, it just sucks to live in post.

Camp Humphreys in Korea is a perfect example of how to make what could be a great assignment for Joe, just eat at your soul. Korea in general is a great assignment if you don't have to live on post.

My dad was stationed in Korea
He was an NCO ans had a house in town.  Complete with a tall (for them) beautiful korean woman.
He would vote Korea I wager

Off post, Korea is great,

On post, it's just like the posts above about liberty and curfew in Japan.

It's so completely absurd to have to do the Cinderella thing and rush home by midnight. Even harder to rush your wife home with you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's so completely absurd to have to do the Cinderella thing and rush home by midnight. Even harder to rush your wife home with you.
View Quote

I thought 54% of armed services personnel are married, so I expected more responses in line with that, as I learned how shitty life with an grumpy wife on post can be. But maybe most of GD was enlisted for just 2-4 years and so all the off post stuff was meaningless for them?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no perfecter base than Pt. Loma Subase, San Diego, CA. Too bad it's in California though.
Beautiful, small, in it's own little community, easy to escape on the weekends.

Spent some time as a Navy guy in Ft. Polk. It wasn't that bad... it was the worst place I've ever been to but I'd have enjoyed it if I was there for awhile and bought a place off base.

If Guam wasn't so far from everything I'd give that as my favorite place to be. Breathtakingly, jaw-dropping beautiful.

This was on Anderson AF base.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I would choose independent duty before I would any major base. Millington was great for proximity to Memphis back before it became Memafrica. Other than some small Coast Guard stations, I would rather not be anywhere near a major installation. Futenma in Okinawa was great in the mid-80's, swinging with the Wing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I liked Carson, but not technically stationed there. I tried to get TDY by working for my dad's S3 after OSUT to keep my leave days down. Didn't work.  

As a dependent, I loved Panzer Kaserne and later being stationed as active duty in Schweinfurt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I thought 54% of armed services personnel are married, so I expected more responses in line with that, as I learned how shitty life with an grumpy wife on post can be. But maybe most of GD was enlisted for just 2-4 years and so all the off post stuff was meaningless for them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, and unaccompanied tours/TDY.

Used to be very rare to see families in Korea, for example.

I still think that legacy of what the command could thus get away with still continues in. Joe puts up with shit there that nobody would have have ever have dared try in Germany even at the peak of the Cold War. The leadership also remains obsessed with talking out of both sides of their ass with regard to interactions with the locals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Someday, I'll tell you guys how to get from the DMZ sided of the Imjin river, to the fun side without a pass. Of course, you have to be willing to lose a stripe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Fiori Kaserne, Aschaffenburg FRG in the 70’s. Newly remodeled barracks, new mess hall. Great view of the Spessart Mtns, the “rad” women (from comrade,not radical) were very hospitable, and great travel to any direction.

Also, historic Ft Leavenworth.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#18]
In no particular order -
NAS Roosevelt Roads, PR.
When the fleet was not in town it was a sleepy little base with a lot of hot women and nice beaches.
(I DET'ed there at least twice a year from 1982-1989).

NAS Bermuda, Bermuda.
What a gem of a Military base in the Caribbean.  
Cruise ships full of hot tourist women, riding mopeds around town, nice bars.
(I DET'ed there once in 1987)

The National Science Foundation Hangar (Then: US Navy - Now: USAF ANG).
Christchurch, NZ.
Pre-earthquake Christchurch.
What a beautiful place to be.
Hot NZ women, a great nightlife, lots of things to do on the South Island.
(I did 4 summer seasons with the US Navy flying in LC-130's at McMurdo Station - I spent a lot of time in Christchurch).

NAS Point Mugu, Ca.
If you ride motorcycles, especially if you ride sport bikes there is no better place to be stationed than Mugu.
It's out in the sticks, but Malibu is less than 30 minutes away, Hollywood is about 40 minutes away, Santa Barbara is about 40 minutes away.
Real Santa Maria TriTip is less than an hour away.
(I did 11 years there)

MCAS Santa Ana / Tustin Ca.
In the heart of SoCal.
Beaches, mountains, LA and San Diego within a hours of each other.
(My dad was stationed there in the mid 60's).

NAS Miramar / NAS North Island
San Diego in the 80's and 90's was awesome!
If you're single, I can't think of better bases to have been at.
(DET'ed to Miramar at least 4 times a year in the 80's, spent 3 years at NAS North Island)

The Presidio of San Francisco
Never stationed there, me and the wife spent 5 days on the base in 1995 staying in Officers quarters when control was being transferred from the Army to the NPS.
It was an excellent base of operations.
Had a great time.

Honorable mention -
CFB Comox, BC, Canada.
The area around the base - WOW!
Some of the Canadian Military girls - Hot French Canadians.
The local townsfolk went out of their way to be friendly with us, even opening up the bars one night when we were late getting into town.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Laughlin AFB, TX in Del Rio.

This thread is now complete...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite by far:  Fort Richardson, AK
Second favorite:  Caserma Ederle in Vicenza
Honorable mention:  Fort Bragg, NC.  Great place to grow up in the Army and cycle back through for four different PCSs.

I was stationed at Fort Polk twice.  I enjoyed it, but that was because of the organization I was in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ramstein is pretty awesome, heavy with expat Americans but a great golf course...but then so are Aviano AB, RAF Mildenhall, Kadena AB, Papa Air Base Hungary, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base Germany, Anderson AFB Guam, Yokota Air Base Japan (it's 36 kilometers from Tokyo), Elemendorf Air Base, Anchorage Alaska, Det 1, Souda Bay Crete...lots of options, kind of depends on what you're looking for.

I was stationed at three of these choices, and did protracted TDYs at the remainder. Great adventures at all of them.
View Quote

I have done several TDY's at GK and it really just has everything going for it.  Incredible location, amazing weather, awesome mission, a FANTASTIC commissary, I could definitely live in the area and be happy.

I have been to a lot of the others you mention and had fun at all of them but GK is special.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fulda back in the 80's was a great place to be stationed.  The exchange rate was 3-1 and lots of good German beer and women could be bought.

https://cf.bstatic.com/xdata/images/city/1680x560/610241.jpg?k=7ecc7f1ee56641621bd1391f8ab58eb6525cc11858726d381a5c1d17c5a6935a&o=
View Quote

Once I realized how stoned most of the soldiers were in 80's Fulda I didn't think we'd have much chance of stopping the commies from rolling through the Gap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have done several TDY's at GK and it really just has everything going for it.  Incredible location, amazing weather, awesome mission, a FANTASTIC commissary, I could definitely live in the area and be happy.

I have been to a lot of the others you mention and had fun at all of them but GK is special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ramstein is pretty awesome, heavy with expat Americans but a great golf course...but then so are Aviano AB, RAF Mildenhall, Kadena AB, Papa Air Base Hungary, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base Germany, Anderson AFB Guam, Yokota Air Base Japan (it's 36 kilometers from Tokyo), Elemendorf Air Base, Anchorage Alaska, Det 1, Souda Bay Crete...lots of options, kind of depends on what you're looking for.

I was stationed at three of these choices, and did protracted TDYs at the remainder. Great adventures at all of them.

Not sure if non-US run bases count for this,p. If so, though, damn near every NATO installation would win out. Unless, that is, someone really loved their Robin Hood subs and Anthony's Pizza.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Although long gone, my favorite 40+ years ago was Ft. Ord, CA
View Quote

Paradise back in the 80s.

I miss fishing for silver salmon before PT.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the individual for best place, but think most can agree that Grand Forks ND is the worst base to get stuck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage Alaska...
View Quote

I did a 4 DET's to Elmendorf in the 80's.
What a great place to party!
The Alaskan Bush Company and Chilkoot Charlie's.
Honorable Mention: "The Hub" - 122 E. Fourth Avenue in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite was Camp Foster Okinawa.

I had a little minivan and we fished, camped and scuba dived a lot of that island.

I had my own room on the top floor with a view of the ocean in the barracks. You don’t even have to do laundry, you can pay the barracks Momasan I think it was ten bucks a week.

I could talk for hours about that place in Japan. Was really nice, compared to something like Pendleton.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

People fight tooth-and-nail for that assignment for a reason. Three different countries in a fifteen minute drive. Funny you should mention the commissary, my wife was the book keeper at the NATEX. That place keeps half of Europe supplied with quality booze and cigs at dead cheap prices, despite the best efforts of Ze German custom inspectors

I was the US SEL (senior enlisted leader, we didn't rate a command chief). My first year there, my boss told me, "we're going out on Christmas break on the 20th, I want everyone back by Jan 6." I was kind of stunned, I had no idea how we were going to keep accountability when I knew for a fact our people would scatter to the wind. He didn't care, and it didn't matter, as I quickly came to realize. Seventeen days off in Germany/Netherlands with no distance restriction. It was a three year sabatical from reality.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not sure if non-US run bases count for this,p. If so, though, damn near every NATO installation would win out. Unless, that is, someone really loved their Robin Hood subs and Anthony's Pizza.
View Quote

Geilenkirchen is US run, at least half the time. The commanding officer (GO level) position rotates between the American and German side every three or four years.

The "wings" are divvyed up. The maintenance side is a US full bird. Don't remember who has Ops, but that may be US as well, given the German's extreme reluctance to commit flyers to a war zone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Luke AFB
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Laughlin AFB, TX in Del Rio.

This thread is now complete...
View Quote

Ft Hunter-Liggett.

Now, it's complete
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Are there any bad AF bases?

Camp Zama, Japan, previously mentioned, was a pretty relaxed and picturesque place.  Rota or anything near the Med.  Any base in Allied territory w/ sub 1 thousand personnel has interesting vibes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#34]
All for various reasons.  Of the bases I’ve been to in no particular order
NAS North Island Coronado-Location, weather
Paya Lebar, Singapore-Location, food
Osan Air Base-food, people, partying
Luke AFB, Az-location, sports, anything outdoors
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cannon AFB would like to have a word.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Back in the day. Fort Davis panama.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Apparently none of you have enjoyed the tropical island paradise that is Eareckson Air station. Beautiful women behind every tree!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cannon AFB would like to have a word.  

View Quote

Kirtland was pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

I love Ft Polk!!

Best time I ever had on a .mil base and I have been on a few.

I was 5 or 6 years old at the time, 1968-ish,  but dammit it was a blast!!

I even crushed my oldest sisters hand in a M113 hatch.

Of course it helped to have a uncle that was a Colonel that was stationed there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Camp Zama, Japan, previously mentioned, was a pretty relaxed and picturesque place.  Rota or anything near the Med.  Any base in Allied territory w/ sub 1 thousand personnel has interesting vibes.
View Quote

Northern tier of the  central US is no joke. Art Linkletter's (if your memory goes back that far) son was left alone on post (SP) against local regs, crawled into a light-all to try and keep warm and froze to death. They forgot about him. The missile fields aren't a lot of fun, either.

Cannon AFB New Mexico has a slaughterhouse pretty much right outside the front gate. The "shifty-fifty" run Clovis. When they annouced half of Hurlburt was being moved there, the line to retire was out the door. Wing commander flew a shitload of spouses out there, "to show them it's not that bad". The line got longer when they got back. I got offered an interview for the civilian deputy commander for maintenance job...as a retired chief...I turned it down.

There aren't many, but most cities aren't crazy about jets...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you love beating your dick like it owes you money.

Aren't there sharks in the water so no diving?

Kharn
View Quote

You can swim or snorkel inside the lagoon. They didn’t allow SCUBA  when I was there. Great fishing. Amazing beaches. 24/7 drunken debauched partying is the normal lifestyle.  Plenty of scandalously promiscuous military chicks who will gladly hook up as long as you aren’t in the US Navy.

Downside: it is 95 degrees with 95% humidity every day, all day, and there is at least some rain, somewhere on the island 365 days a year. There is no “off base” it’s 100% military. Lots of bugs and scrub jungle. It’s close to the equator, so seasonal changes are variations of rain or torrential rain, not temperature. It’s always hot. It’s also 1500 miles due south of India, it’s a long trip to anywhere, at the mercy of the US government.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Don't the green dipshit Brits run the place?
View Quote

Yeah, but their main pursuit is alcoholism.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Cubi Pt, PI
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I loved Berlin back in the early 90s the best
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Hawaii
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, but their main pursuit is alcoholism.
View Quote

They’re authorized to drink on duty. Everywhere I went with them alcohol ?? eventually was consumed. I heard but don’t know, Germans are authorized to drink on duty as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I LOVED Alaska but it’s not for everyone. If you enjoy outdoors it’s paradise.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had a lot of fun at Yokosuka 94-97.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Navy base in Yokosuka Japan was great in the 90's compared to most of the others I had been to.  The only one that was nicer was NAS North Island, all the benefits of being in San Diego, without the mess at 32nd Street.

I had a lot of fun at Yokosuka 94-97.

Yoko, 81 - 85, 98 - 99,
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Loved TDY at Ft. Devens when AD SF group was still there-little Big Army dog & pony and college chicks galore in Boston.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Maybe if you’re a brown recluse spider
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top