[#1]
Accidental
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear Ft. Drum is pretty sweet
View Quote

Only post my ex wife liked because she went to Canada all the time 1 hour drive or NYC 5 hour drive though. But she wasn’t with me for Hawaii or most of the other active duty locations. She hated military life, really really really hated it. Hence my ARNG shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
fort carson.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No love for Ft. Irwin?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Me personally it would either be Mainland Japan (the USAF has it best..) or Okinawa. If you like race cars, Japanese foods, Japanese women (or Australian women or European women or even American women; just don’t f with Sgt. Maj.’s daughters lmao), beautiful beaches those places have it all

Second pick would either be Oceanside, Cali or South Korea preferably Seoul.
View Quote

Wholeheartedly agree with Oki and Japan. I extended my tour there three times. Spent 7 1/2 months in Korea, then used the 10$ MAC flights all over the place to use the 30 days "basket" leave for said tour extensions. Oki had great beaches, great diving, and lots of those women you mentioned. Also, Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
29 Palms intensifies...
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fort Erwin, California.

Come see both of our luxurious shopettes, or dine at our exclusive local Pizza Hut or call ahead for a romantic dinner night at the Burger King located in the historic RUBA. Conveniently located at least an hour and a half from the nearest civilization on one of the most heavily policed desert straightaways in the southwest. Enjoy complimentary passes our many beaches(water not included) and wonderful rock art. Invest your hard earned pay in $35 burritos from food trucks, or catch a DUI charge on your off day returning from Barstow.

Whatever your needs, Fort Irwin has you covered.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not a base anymore sadly.  But Orlando Navy training center.  Every week a fresh group of females would graduate from boot camp.  Every week.  Then Daytona was a small drive away.

What great memories.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
That was the first place I ever visited in California. I was like "wow this looks just like bumblefuck Alabama" lol. I was impressed I could get liquor at a gas station though . I think there was a 1:1 ratio of barber shops to Marine's in that area.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(I'm wondering if this has changed greatly over the years, too. When I was a little boy, we had huge bases all over Germany that I understand are all gone)
View Quote

I've been stationed at both Ft Drum and Ft Polk--which i've often compared to being at opposite ends of a anal thermometer

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Supposedly there was a SIGINT listening post in Key West with a two van motor pool.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I know Casey in Korea was horrible
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Camp Pendleton, CA. Surfing at San Onofre is t half bad. Weather is warm. San Diego beaches on the weekends. Most all the barracks are newer (if you’re living on base). I really enjoyed my time there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Supposedly there was a SIGINT listening post in Key West with a two van motor pool.
View Quote
There's a naval air station there. They have a composite squadron that flys F-5's. I didn't know it at the time but the first time I stayed in the area I was right over where they would fly so I got a free airshow with my coffee most mornings. It was awesome. There's some other tenant commands there that would be a pretty fun time as well I would think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Key_West#Tenant_commands
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wholeheartedly agree with Oki and Japan. I extended my tour there three times. Spent 7 1/2 months in Korea, then used the 10$ MAC flights all over the place to use the 30 days "basket" leave for said tour extensions. Oki had great beaches, great diving, and lots of those women you mentioned. Also, Semper Fi!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me personally it would either be Mainland Japan (the USAF has it best..) or Okinawa. If you like race cars, Japanese foods, Japanese women (or Australian women or European women or even American women; just don't f with Sgt. Maj.'s daughters lmao), beautiful beaches those places have it all

Second pick would either be Oceanside, Cali or South Korea preferably Seoul.

As awesome as the area is, the experience is easily ruined by strict base curfews and liberty restrictions.

Being stationed in Japan in the 2000's after numerous murders and rapes of civilians by service members was kinda shitty.

I think shit got bad again in 2016 after a marine vet and civilian contractor killed another Japanese chick.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Were you ASA?
View Quote

Have had 5 MOSs but no not signals intelligence. For my Fort Gordon time it was 25C and 25U. Basically it’s just platoon and battalion level commo. Nothing special. Somehow I got assigned to multiple 2,3 and 4 star generals though. 18th corps, I corps etc. my time was either with company commanders, 1SG and XOs or O-4 and up. I did communications work at the Pentagon as well. Forgot to mention my time at Ft Meade. Also time at Ft Belvoir with 29th infantry division HQ but that was ARNG plus surgery at Ft Belvoir one time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fort Dix, New Jersey.

For ETS out processing.

View Quote
No longer have the photo I took of my son at that tank in front of the Ft Dix post sign
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No love for Ft. Irwin?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Key West in the late 60's was great...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn’t think we’re counting Key West. No sizeable personnel there. If we’re including shit like that then I change my answer to Thailand or Australia Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Cousin's husband did Korea as first assignment so he got Honolulu next. They were there on the island for at least a decade or more iirc, then Pensacola. We stayed on base and got to go pretty much anywhere beaches-airfields with their minivan's pass, which was neat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No longer have the photo I took of my son at that tank in front of the Ft Dix post sign
View Quote

Ft Dix the most depressing place I've ever been...only for a couple of days waiting to go to Germany but still...aye yae yae...
I did Hawaii,San Diego,Philadelphia,Great Lakes,Panama,Gitmo, as a Navy Brat...Coco Solo,Panama was the best...(worse than any ghetto in the 3rd world now)...
When a person is young they have different interests and motivations and bases have different amenities,housing,chow for that matter...
What I thought was cool at 10 yrs old and 19 yrs old and 25 yrs old were totally different...
I would say K I Sawyer in the UP of MI would be my favorite place...deep snow winters, great trout streams,biking trails, lake Superior, college nearby,skiing,snow mobiling,dirt bike & ATV trails,hunting...got it all year round...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

I will raise you ft hood
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ft Dix the most depressing place I've ever been...only for a couple of days waiting to go to Germany but still...aye yae yae...
View Quote

Only using base lodging on vacation in NYC. I wasn’t stationed there. Aberdeen Proving Grounds was a fun place to take my son to see all the vehicles, arty, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ft Sam was my favorite...back in the 60's though...
I doubt it's much like my memories today.
View Quote
The local females loved their country so much that they would walk up to you and ask if you wanted a date and I was just a private.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Fort Campbell had the best chow halls I'd seen when I was there. Of course the only posts I had to compare them to was Leonard Wood, Riley, Hood and Benning.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Ft. Stewart

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I will raise you ft hood
View Quote

Dear God, no, just no.  Ft Hood is what caused me to get out of the Army.  Going from Germany to Ft Hood was such a shock and the quality of soldiers I encountered at Hood, plus all the gang and racial bullshit happening on base and in the barracks just turned me off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#30]
RAF Edzell back in the day (was a US Navy base), DLI in Monterey (other than the Cali laws).
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think there is still an MP company at Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That's one of the few I can thunk of where loving in base is probably preferred.

In most places, even if the area is nice, it just sucks to live in post.

Camp Humphreys in Korea is a perfect example of how to make what could be a great assignment for Joe, just eat at your soul. Korea in general is a great assignment if you don't have to live on post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Base life ebbs and flows with mission and leadership.  The only real fairly constant variables are the surrounding areas, and often the quality of the infrastructure on the post itself.  

For Army I would say Fort Carson Colorado, Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX, and JBLM in Washington state.

I think there is still an MP company at Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That's one of the few I can thunk of where loving in base is probably preferred.

In most places, even if the area is nice, it just sucks to live in post.

Camp Humphreys in Korea is a perfect example of how to make what could be a great assignment for Joe, just eat at your soul. Korea in general is a great assignment if you don't have to live on post.

My dad was stationed in Korea
He was an NCO ans had a house in town.  Complete with a tall (for them) beautiful korean woman.
He would vote Korea I wager
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Didn’t think we’re counting Key West. No sizeable personnel there. If we’re including shit like that then I change my answer to Thailand or Australia https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/20C1F274-C439-4A85-B53B-9875E5F79CA4_jpe-2383422.JPG
View Quote

It’s a Naval Air Station. Legit base.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Navy base in Yokosuka Japan was great in the 90's compared to most of the others I had been to.  The only one that was nicer was NAS North Island, all the benefits of being in San Diego, without the mess at 32nd Street.
View Quote

I had a lot of fun at Yokosuka 94-97.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone knows the best post to be stationed at is anywhere other than where you are now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#35]
FT Huachuca was awesome for bird hunting and being out of doors.  Same with Ft Riley.  Korea sucked but a lot of guys that couldn’t get laid in the US absolutely loved it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Carson was great before the state really commiefied. An hour drive and you were in the wilderness at 12k ft elevation.

Huachuca is a hidden gem. Other than the lack of recreational waterways nearby it’s really amazing. Miles and miles of off-road trails, lots of cool non-touristy history if you know where to look…and lots of folks who shoot.

Bliss actually wasn’t that bad. Not because El Paso is great, but because hunting in NM was absolutely awesome. Duck hunting, aoudad, oryx, etc. all very accessible. Plus a short drive up to the Sacramento Mountains and you felt like you were detached from the slum that is El Paso/Juarez.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Fort Bragg, NC.

I joined the Army to jump out of planes and shoot guns and fight. Not to have a choice vacation spot.

Ft. Bragg has the best opportunities to do cool Army stuff. I'd rather not be distracted by wanting to go to the beach while I'm working.

Although Ft. Huachuca is a nice place to spend a few months where you get weekends off to explore and hike and shoot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Italy is supposed to be a great place. When I was in Panama was considered one of the best places to live.
View Quote

I was in Italy for 2.5 years at Camp Darby... only 5 minutes from the beach.. was pretty sweet. It spoiled me on food and coffee.

I also got a 4 month tdy to Panama
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you love beating your dick like it owes you money.

Aren't there sharks in the water so no diving?

Kharn
View Quote

Twenty or twenty-five years ago they arrested two US mil females on Diego who both had something like $200K+ in their bank accounts. They were the only show in town, and had been taking full advantage of the situation for months. Both were courts martialed and drummed out, but if I remember correctly the military couldn't touch the money. The Stars and Stripes tried hard to make it sound serious, but everybody thought it was pretty amusing...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Everyone knows the best post to be stationed at is anywhere other than where you are now.
View Quote

Your two best assignments...the one you just left and the one you're going to next
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#42]
No love for Meade?

Within spitting distance of DC, Baltimore (), and the Chesapeake Bay, automatic CCW in MD since you likely have a TS clearance, high BAH numbers and able to work your next assignments or retirement job to not relocate the family.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ft. Sill
View Quote

Stuck there for a year in the mid 90’s
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd probably pick Sigonella, Naples, Souda Bay or Rota.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Never stationed there, but I never heard a bad thing about The Presidio from my friends stationed there back in the day.

Ft Carson

Tripler/Fort Shafter

Ft Sam

Fitzsimons was great in the 90s, in pre-commie Denver.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ft. Sill
View Quote

So for you guys who were stationed at Ft Sill, why does it get a bad rap?  I live about 35 miles away and am on the base all the time, granted I am a retiree now

I like the base, its laid out nice and the historic buildings are cool.  The base has a good PX and commissary, the hospital is good as well as the VA clinic.  All I ever hear from Army guys though is the base sucks, not sure why.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Wow that's beautiful...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It’s a Naval Air Station. Legit base.
View Quote

I figured any place with less than 2,000 personnel was a lottery ticket to get stationed at.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I figured any place with less than 2,000 personnel was a lottery ticket to get stationed at.
View Quote

The NAS plus the Southcom stuff is bigger than most think…..for an island that size anyway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Marine Corps Base Hawaii is 100x better than any of the Army installations in Hawaii.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top