Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/14/2022 9:46:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Hunter Army Airfield Savannah Ga
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of that it dependant on the individual. I knew people who absoluted hated Hawaii when I was there and wanted someplace like Eielson. More remote and rural. Plus some places have way cooler missions than others.

Personally, Wiesbaden for me, circa 2012. Laid back, and location
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ft. Polk
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Base life ebbs and flows with mission and leadership.  The only real fairly constant variables are the surrounding areas, and often the quality of the infrastructure on the post itself.  

For Army I would say Fort Carson Colorado, Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX, and JBLM in Washington state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear Ft. Drum is pretty sweet
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Diego Garcia.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Yep beautiful beaches
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Italy is supposed to be a great place. When I was in Panama was considered one of the best places to live.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]

That looks nice. I'd always heard though that it was a snake infested sauna that you got sent to by pissing off the wrong person.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
FEWAFB in Cheyenne.  It’s a beautiful old cavalry post updated for duty as a Strategic Missile Base.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Me personally it would either be Mainland Japan (the USAF has it best..) or Okinawa. If you like race cars, Japanese foods, Japanese women (or Australian women or European women or even American women; just don’t f with Sgt. Maj.’s daughters lmao), beautiful beaches those places have it all

Second pick would either be Oceanside, Cali or South Korea preferably Seoul.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote

Oh yeah...wonderful place..
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#17]

A guy I worked with was rotating back to the US and got dumped off on Diego Garcia. He had to wait a week for a flight out and that he spent the time on the beach… never said how nice it was!

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Italy is supposed to be a great place. When I was in Panama was considered one of the best places to live.
View Quote
I had a blast while stationed at NAS Sigonella for 3 years even though the Navy classified it as an "Arduous Duty Station". Of course it was my 1st duty station and I met my wife there but I enjoyed working and living with the Sicilians.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol it's a top vacation spot.
What a shit hole. I've never seen a more dilapidated place in my army travels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#20]
The Navy base in Yokosuka Japan was great in the 90's compared to most of the others I had been to.  The only one that was nicer was NAS North Island, all the benefits of being in San Diego, without the mess at 32nd Street.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Base life ebbs and flows with mission and leadership.  The only real fairly constant variables are the surrounding areas, and often the quality of the infrastructure on the post itself.  

For Army I would say Fort Carson Colorado, Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio TX, and JBLM in Washington state.
View Quote

I think there is still an MP company at Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That's one of the few I can think of where living on base is probably preferred.

In most places, even if the area is nice, it just sucks to live on post.

Camp Humphreys in Korea is a perfect example of how to make what could be a great assignment for Joe, just eat at your soul. Korea in general is a great assignment if you don't have to live on post.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I really liked Pearl.

The kicker is I had it for shore duty doing RadCon.  I really enjoyed everything except the gun laws.

Bangor was pretty cool as well at the end of my career.

-Mike
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember it being so hot and humid the fucking insects came in for the air conditioning
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Ramstein is pretty awesome, heavy with expat Americans but a great golf course...but then so are Aviano AB, RAF Mildenhall, Kadena AB, Papa Air Base Hungary, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base Germany, Anderson AFB Guam, Yokota Air Base Japan (it's 36 kilometers from Tokyo), Elemendorf Air Base, Anchorage Alaska, Det 1, Souda Bay Crete...lots of options, kind of depends on what you're looking for.

I was stationed at three of these choices, and did protracted TDYs at the remainder. Great adventures at all of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Hawaii
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Lemoore, ca
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#27]

If you love beating your dick like it owes you money.

Aren't there sharks in the water so no diving?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Excellent choice. Never been, but everyone I know whos gone says the fishing is amazing.

I personally loved Osan AB. Also had fun in Kandahar and Bagram. A Buddy of mine runs the flightline at Rota NAS, and Rota is a really cool town.

Japan was cool, but my unit was fucking trash so that ruined it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#29]
When it was open, Roosevelt Roads.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Ft. Sill
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Although long gone, my favorite 40+ years ago was Ft. Ord, CA
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Non hostile locations? OCONUS army probably Italy but I’m going by what friends say for that. For CONUS and for active duty then Alameda if you’re Coast Guard, San Diego if you’re Navy if Army, Hawaii is expensive and the base housing is dogshit but the surfing is epic. For DLI summer weather is 70 degrees for all but 3 days the entire summer. You can scuba a short drive to Big Sur, Santa Cruz surfing, San Francisco for the wife restaurant and shopping and ski Tahoe or hop space A at Travis AFB. Overseas I’ve only been to European bases or Japan, Korea and MENA/SouthAsia. Camp Zama Japan was nice. USAF is the way to go for Japan and Korea. There’s very few nice Army locations. Worked at the Pentagon as a civilian. My duty stations conus were Ft Drum, Ft Bragg, Ft Ord {no longer exists} Ft Lewis, Schoefield barracks with training at Ft Bennning, Fort Gordon, Fort Polk, Fort Irwin, Fort Bliss, and I’ve used the PX where the MP company is in NYC. Ive been to Savannah AAF, Fort Stewart BX/PX and a few Navy posts like the one in Evergreen, WA, Mayport & Jax NAS, USAF like Travis AFB and USCG posts like Petaluma, Alameda for USMC Camp Pendleton, Camp Smith and 29 Palms more but that’s off the top of my head most of the California posts Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
ENDLESS SURF ON THE NORTH SHORE (HAWAII)
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A lot of that it dependant on the individual. I knew people who absoluted hated Hawaii when I was there and wanted someplace like Eielson. More remote and rural. Plus some places have way cooler missions than others.

Personally, Wiesbaden for me, circa 2012. Laid back, and location
View Quote
My aunt/uncle were USAF in Hawaii for a few years and they said it gets taxing as everyone and their mom comes out of the woodwork since now there's a place to crash for "free" for vacation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep beautiful beaches
View Quote

Don't the green dipshit Brits run the place?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#35]
The one near your house.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Bite your tongue.  Me and a couple thousand of my closest friends spent 9 months there in ‘90-‘91.  Lots to do - takes about a week to do them all.  The wild chickens (‘Queen’s animals’) were getting painted different colors by the end of the first month.  Then all the temper tents were blown away in a storm… it went downhill from there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Fulda back in the 80's was a great place to be stationed.  The exchange rate was 3-1 and lots of good German beer and women could be bought.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Ft Sam was my favorite...back in the 60's though...
I doubt it's much like my memories today.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Schofield Barracks Hawaii where I was stationed for three years back in the day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Non hostile locations? OCONUS army probably Italy but I’m going by what friends say for that. For CONUS and for active duty then Alameda if you’re Coast Guard, San Diego if you’re Navy if Army, Hawaii is expensive and the base housing is dogshit but the surfing is epic. For DLI summer weather is 70 degrees for all but 3 days the entire summer. You can scuba a short drive to Big Sur, Santa Cruz surfing, San Francisco for the wife restaurant and shopping and ski Tahoe or hop space A at Travis AFB. Overseas I’ve only been to European bases or Japan, Korea and MENA/SouthAsia. Camp Zamia Japan was nice. USAF is the way to go for Japan and Korea. There’s very few nice Army locations. My duty stations conus were Ft Drum, Ft Bragg, Ft Ord {no longer exists} Ft Lewis, Schoefield barracks with training at Ft Bennning, Fort Gordon, Fort Bliss, and the PX where the MP company is in NYC. Ive been to Savannah AAF, Fort Stewart BX/PX and a a few Navy posts like the one in Evergreen, WA, Mayport & Jax NAS, USAF like Travis AFB and USCG posts like Petaluma, Alameda more but that’s off the top of my head https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/175355C5-6154-447F-A01C-9792F82F0158_jpe-2383389.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/A6B8587B-003D-4C31-AF72-CBCC9A89E3CA_png-2383390.JPG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oci0CqUU5KI
View Quote

Were you ASA?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever been to Ft. Chaffee, AR? Ft. Chaffee was JRTC’s original home before it moved to Polk (1988-1993).

Chaffee is the ultimate shithole. WWII style barracks full of asbestos, no medical facilities but they did try to hook us up with a little snack bar, and most of the base was condemned. The Army couldn’t officially station us there because it was so dilapidated, so they pretended we were stationed at LRAFB and all our records were kept at Ft. Sill. I had to TDY to Sill to ETS.

They renovated one row of buildings so we could live there, but only removed the asbestos from the laundry room. My barracks was two buildings down from where Elvis got his first Army haircut (now it’s a Barbershop Museum)

Ft. Chaffee had absolutely nothing for us but a couple of old buildings full of black widows. The town outside Ft. Chaffee is called Ft. Smith. Ft. Smith has grown quite a lot since then (I went back a couple of years ago) but when JRTC was at Chaffee, Ft. Smith was a backwoods little town with nothing to do. The most happening spot in Ft. Smith was Taco Bell.

The locals weren’t happy the Army put an active duty unit there. It had been closed for so long the locals hunted/poached there year round. We had a unit cycle through JRTC every month and we were always plagued with locals shining deer in the maneuver area at night. We’d hear shotguns and everything would come to a halt while we waited for the local sheriff to come chase off his cousin Skeeter.

Ironically, they moved us to Polk because it had just undergone a major overhaul for 5th ID. The 5th was deactivated so they moved us to what was considered one of the most modern Army bases LOL. I ETS’d right before the move to lucked out I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Fort Dix, New Jersey.

For ETS out processing.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you love beating your dick like it owes you money.

Aren't there sharks in the water so no diving?

Kharn
View Quote

You could swim in the lagoon, but the outer waters were no-go.  The sharks would get caught inside the barrier reef at low tide.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hunter Army Airfield Savannah Ga
View Quote

If you’re a drinker or like Spanish moss trees and the architecture. Fun for Halloween, fuck July and August weather.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#45]
If  you like to hunt, fish, hike, Ft Wainwright.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Fort Erwin, California.

Come see both of our luxurious shopettes, or dine at our exclusive local Pizza Hut or call ahead for a romantic dinner night at the Burger King located in the historic RUBA. Conveniently located at least an hour and a half from the nearest civilization on one of the most heavily policed desert straightaways in the southwest. Enjoy complimentary passes our many beaches(water not included) and wonderful rock art. Invest your hard earned pay in $35 burritos from food trucks, or catch a DUI charge on your off day returning from Barstow.

Whatever your needs, Fort Irwin has you covered.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ft. Polk
View Quote
Since the Psych gif is already used
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Fort Erwin, California.

Come see both of our luxurious shopettes, or dine at our exclusive local Pizza Hut or call ahead for a romantic dinner night at the Burger King located in the historic RUBA. Conveniently located at least an hour and a half from the nearest civilization on one of the most heavily policed desert straightaways in the southwest. Enjoy complimentary passes our many beaches(water not included) and wonderful rock art. Invest your hard earned pay in $35 burritos from food trucks, or catch a DUI charge on your off day returning from Barstow.

Whatever your needs, Fort Irwin has you covered.
View Quote
29 Palms intensifies...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fulda back in the 80's was a great place to be stationed.  The exchange rate was 3-1 and lots of good German beer and women could be bought.

https://cf.bstatic.com/xdata/images/city/1680x560/610241.jpg?k=7ecc7f1ee56641621bd1391f8ab58eb6525cc11858726d381a5c1d17c5a6935a&o=
View Quote

I don’t think you could go wrong at any Army bases in Germany except maybe Wildflecken (fuck the fence!)

I wasn’t too far from Fulda, in Budingen. Germany is beautiful and has so much history.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

A friend with 4th ID loved it. I’ve never been. But I heard the women off post aren’t fat like so many other locations so that’s another plus. Medics all say they had fun at Ft Sam but never been there either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top