User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of said wife.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two separate systems, a Zosi 8 camera system that records to a DVR 24/7.

Then the other system is a Eufy system with the following components, door bell cam, flood light bullet cameras and dome floodlight cameras with tracking.

Is it the best, no, but since I have a concrete house and only limited power options to cameras and no easy way to run CAT cables to the cameras this was the best option for me.

The Eufy cameras are tied in to a Eufy security system which sends out alerts from either the cameras, doors or motion sensors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cannot speak highly enough for Unifi Protect personally.  There is no subscription, the data is recorded locally so no cloud to snoop on your cameras, it is closed circuit but IP based. The prices aren't horrible though stock is really hard to come by right now. B&H Photo Video is a good source if the UI store is out of stock some times too.

I've got two doorbells, and three other cameras up around my property.  I get alerts for motion if I want them and recording based on configuration.  Retention is based on storage available more than anything.
View Quote
Well said, me too.  The app is easy to use and wife/daughters tested and approved.  Matter of fact, they are obsessed with the external cams.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Unifi Protect - G4 cameras. Preferably G4 if you are not a poor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vote for UniFi

This is the way.

Unifi Protect - G4 cameras. Preferably G4 if you are not a poor.
Yes!  and the reason is the G4's have local processing at the camera and support more AI processing/notifications.  More $, more functionality.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a hardwired unifi system with dream machine pro. It was a steep learning curve with no tech support but I have it mostly figured out now. I want to expand but cameras are super hard to find now.
View Quote
UDM Pro is the way, you can get them direct from Unifi store.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I've given up on cameras. Even if you catch thieves red handed with a view of their face clear as day the cops don't give a shit and won't do anything about it. What's the point
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had the Arlo's for several years. If I were to go again, they would be a hard pass. I have had instances lately where my wife has gone out to the driveway and driven off in her car (which the cam is pointed right at) and absolutely nothing recorded. Can't trust them to do the job.
View Quote

@bowhuntr09

That's good to know

I was looking at them

Not now

No internet

Shitty cell coverage

Is there such a thing as wireless battery operated I can set up like the following

Camera

Chromecast

Nvr

So when I'm home I can go thru tv input and see what's going on?

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an 8 cam Reolink setup (POE). Flawless for the past five years. I also run a Ring doorbell and two internal cams which are turned on when I'm gone.
Two of these are the zoomable lenses.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Stuff like this, to me, is proof that we live in a simulation.    Some asshole kid named Sid tells his friend, hey watch, when I do this and this and this, I can take this guy out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Blink cameras for convenience.   I move mine around depending on need.   For permanent I would do Amcrest and synology.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Spend some time at IPCamtalk and you will have your answers, the ARF of security cams.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ring cameras, they kinda suck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  I have an 8 cam Reolink setup (POE). Flawless for the past five years. I also run a Ring doorbell and two internal cams which are turned on when I'm gone.
Two of these are the zoomable lenses.
View Quote

I think we can geolocate you now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
UDM Pro is the way, you can get them direct from Unifi store.
View Quote

I read a review that specifically stated the UDM SE was superior to the Pro when it came to viewing videos in the app.  

Much faster loads and much faster replay, in the sense of fast forward to point of interest and then fast forward and reverse.   The SSD of the SE makes the difference.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I read a review that specifically stated the UDM SE was superior to the Pro when it came to viewing videos in the app.  

Much faster loads and much faster replay, in the sense of fast forward to point of interest and then fast forward and reverse.   The SSD of the SE makes the difference.
View Quote

That did not exist when I got my UDM Pro.  Given the Protect videos are stored on a removable HDD, you could easily put an SSD in there instead if you want speed.

Being realistic though, when would you need that minor performance improvement?  You see who kicked your trashcans over half a second faster?  Maybe one whole minute?

Personally the SE just strikes me as "we should have done it this way the first time but now we will put a premium on it!"
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That did not exist when I got my UDM Pro.  Given the Protect videos are stored on a removable HDD, you could easily put an SSD in there instead if you want speed.

Being realistic though, when would you need that minor performance improvement?  You see who kicked your trashcans over half a second faster?  Maybe one whole minute?

Personally the SE just strikes me as "we should have done it this way the first time but now we will put a premium on it!"
View Quote

It’s an evolution of the product for sure.  The sum of the improvements do warrant the price increase.  However, as with any product, you have to be able to use the additional features to make it worth your money.  

The videos load several seconds faster, switching videos is faster, etc.  Not a massive difference but faster.  If you replace the HD in the Pro with an SSD, you’ll get the speed with a massive reduction in capacity.  The SE has 2 drives, only on is user replaceable.  

For me the extra speed with cache on videos, the POE ports, and the increased bandwidth are useful to me.  I’m starting out so it’s worth it to me, if I needed to upgrade to the SE, I probably would not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Arlo is awesome except for:

1. the ports for charging are too fucking small and it is a PITA trying to plug it in when you can barely reach em.

2. the two factor sign in always fuckin happens in the middle of the fuckin night when you get an alert something is close. I want to blade 45 not be looking for emails to log in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Reolink 4K camera is an option.  This is a hard wired 8 camera system.  Really nice app and you can monitor over a computer.  Records 24/7

BLINK wireless Cam photo.  I got these before the Reolink due to where I needed coverage.  

Easy to install and some of mine are on the same batteries for over 2 years.  You can schedule when they come on / off and get alerts.  Down side of this camera was if you are watching video in LIVE Mode then it is not recording.  Wife and I watched the guy in photos try to break into on downstairs window, but didn't get the video.  

RING Doorbell Camera this has been a great investment.  I bought two doorbell cams to use on the front and back doors of the house.

Perp Walk....  Took with Camera off my TV display.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just replaced a blink camera with a eufy stand+alone w/solar panel over the cars in the driveway.    The blink would just stop working after a time.  I would have to pull batteries to reset and get motion detection working again.

I like the eufy app better.  More responsive.  I still have blink at my front door and back yard.
View Quote

Yea probably going to go with the eufy pro. Been researching I don't want cloud storage and out of the cheap wifi solutions that one seems the best with good cam quality, small size, detection zones, passable night vision and so on. Wired is probably king but Im not that intensely concerned.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reolink 4K camera is an option.  This is a hard wired 8 camera system.  Really nice app and you can monitor over a computer.  Records 24/7

https://i.imgur.com/mugEInol.png

BLINK wireless Cam photo.  I got these before the Reolink due to where I needed coverage.  

https://i.imgur.com/xEudNHGl.png

Easy to install and some of mine are on the same batteries for over 2 years.  You can schedule when they come on / off and get alerts.  Down side of this camera was if you are watching video in LIVE Mode then it is not recording.  Wife and I watched the guy in photos try to break into on downstairs window, but didn't get the video.  

RING Doorbell Camera this has been a great investment.  I bought two doorbell cams to use on the front and back doors of the house.

https://i.imgur.com/6TnaBUal.png
View Quote

They work pretty good, they caught that sketchy looking fucker all over your property. Did you get active notifications?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They work pretty good, they caught that sketchy looking fucker all over your property. Did you get active notifications?
View Quote

Yes Ring was first to alert and then the Blink.  Went to court a few weeks ago over this issue that happened July 3rd of 2021.  He only has to pay for the damage to window and door and no time was issued.  He was booked in the jail with meth in his wallet, but they tossed that out.  Basically a slap on the wrist.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Reolink 4K POE NVR system with six cameras.  It works great.

Easy to scrub through footage, and find activity on the NVR.  They’re beta testing doorbell cameras right now, and I’m looking forward to adding one when they release.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I've given up on cameras. Even if you catch thieves red handed with a view of their face clear as day the cops don't give a shit and won't do anything about it. What's the point
View Quote

The guy trying to get in the car next door who was questioned at gunpoint knows what the point is.

If I heard something outside and I was home, I would get up and look to see what it is.

My cameras allow me to always know what's going on. I don't care about the cops, I care about wanting the bad guys to know but to fuck around here. One found out.

HS2000 for the win.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
No matter what camera brand you get they should be on their own Surveillance VLAN with no access to the internet as they don’t need it.

The NVR will need it for remote access but the cameras don’t need it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I have seven Hikvision POE cameras on a dedicated Hikvision NVR. They're on their own VLAN with no external access. Most are 4K. One is a license plate camera. It has a much longer optical zoom lens and is aimed right at the entrance of the cul-de-sac. Just this week, had some cretins drive through the neighborhood and try all the car doors (which were locked). At 5AM, it's dark and even a 4K camera just identifies the car. But the license plate camera got the plate, which was given to the cops.

This is from about 60 feet, taken off angle. Had to slow the video and grab the frame, since the car was moving fast and it was at night. If it's day time or the car stops, the camera automatically detects the car, saves the frame and the license plate information.

Here's the rest:

I have several lines and zones that will detect people and cars when the line is crossed or the bounding box is entered or exited. It can send emails and text to me if I want.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I currently have both Ring and Google Home/Nest.

Ring is the more user friendly option with much better control.

Google has less lag and better quality.

Both suck, both are alright. Despite Ring sucking ass in resolution and playback, I’d choose it over Google if I had to do it over. But you know the saying. One is none.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Local alarm company that just replaced my ADT system just started carrying these and are very impressed, American company, made in America, cloud is in America, you can also do the home bit.

https://turing.ai They said not only is the hardware good, but the software is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes Ring was first to alert and then the Blink.  Went to court a few weeks ago over this issue that happened July 3rd of 2021.  He only has to pay for the damage to window and door and no time was issued.  He was booked in the jail with meth in his wallet, but they tossed that out.  Basically a slap on the wrist.
View Quote

Thats why they continue to re-offend, no consequences. How was he identified and detained? Was he apprehended onsite or did your video lead to his ID? That is what I have always been concerned about with my cams, so I get the SOB on cam, then what.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have seven Hikvision POE cameras on a dedicated Hikvision NVR. They're on their own VLAN with no external access. Most are 4K. One is a license plate camera. It has a much longer optical zoom lens and is aimed right at the entrance of the cul-de-sac. Just this week, had some cretins drive through the neighborhood and try all the car doors (which were locked). At 5AM, it's dark and even a 4K camera just identifies the car. But the license plate camera got the plate, which was given to the cops.

This is from about 60 feet, taken off angle. Had to slow the video and grab the frame, since the car was moving fast and it was at night. If it's day time or the car stops, the camera automatically detects the car, saves the frame and the license plate information.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95402/LPR-2384383.jpg

Here's the rest:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95402/Camera_View-2384387.png

I have several lines and zones that will detect people and cars when the line is crossed or the bounding box is entered or exited. It can send emails and text to me if I want.

View Quote

Thats impressive! Whats a system like that cost?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTG6M92?tag=arfcom00-20

I have one of these for calving cattle.  Will have another next year.  1000 feet IR visibility in total darkness.

In the barn I have 5 cheap PTZ Foscams R2c.
Use Blue Iris and wifi relays to make it work.  Barn is 300 yards away.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Has this thread hit ARFCOM full circle yet?

OP asks about cameras
Cheap asses suggest Nest, Wyze
Guys shit on China and lack of security
Next poster suggests POE cams and adds kickass pics of license plate screws from 1000' away.
ARFCOM links the security forum to OP
OP visits and has a cerebral hemorrhage from the info overload.
OP realizes he has to pull CAT6, get a switch, firewall and make a home network and find freeware to run the system.
Nothing gets purchased
OP gets robbed/attacked by pittbulls/car stolen. No cams.

New OP asks about cameras...
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Wired always if you can. PoE is the tits and ethernet is easy to run. I personally run Ubiquiti stuff but that’s probably out of most people price range. I like it because I host my own server at the house. When i want to pull up cameras at my house its on my equipment not amazon or whoever else cloud..
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Has this thread hit ARFCOM full circle yet?

OP asks about cameras
Cheap asses suggest Nest, Wyze
Guys shit on China and lack of security
Next poster suggests POE cams and adds kickass pics of license plate screws from 1000' away.
ARFCOM links the security forum to OP
OP visits and has a cerebral hemorrhage from the info overload.
OP realizes he has to pull CAT6, get a switch, firewall and make a home network and find freeware to run the system.
Nothing gets purchased
OP gets robbed/attacked by pittbulls/car stolen. No cams.

New OP asks about cameras...
View Quote

Lol.  So true.  I've put off running cable for a year & a half now, but Motown_Steve gave me the cameras, so I don't have much choice now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I use Blue Iris with whatever chinese cams are popular when I need a new cam.  

DeepStack AI was a game changer.  No false positives, if I get an alert, something is there... I even stopped using PIRs because the AI is so much better.

I also like to use wide angle fixed cams along with a PTZ.   Set up zones on the wide angle cams and have the PTZ zoom in to get a high res shot.

Pic from my backyard Dahua SD49425XB-HNR PTZ this week:

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I went with Blink and have a dozen cameras around the property.
It is OK, not great, not awful.
Price was right catching the cameras on sale.

Easily expandable and pretty cheap to get started with a couple of cameras.
Battery life is good if the camera is not in a high traffic area.
Front door camera batteries lasts over a year. Side yard gate almost 2 years. Patio about 6 months with the dogs going in and out several times a day.
Interior cameras can be plugged in or you can get wireless ones to move around.
They have worked fine when it is -20 outside.

Downsides are:
They do not record if your internet is out as they stream to the cloud first. Which results in a 6 second lag in viewing.
You cannot set the armed schedule at the camera level only at the profile/base unit.
This means my always on front door camera is tied to one base.
Other exterior cameras to a second base.
Interior cameras to a third base.

If I have the cameras and work laptops on the same Wi-Fi channel my VPN will occasionally drop when a camera triggers and starts recording.
View Quote

Are you sure that is true? My internet was down for an afternoon and when it came back up the local storage uploaded all the saved videos to the cloud.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats impressive! Whats a system like that cost?
View Quote
The NVR was about $250 on a Black Friday sale. Normally $450 or so. It can power 16 POE ports.
Two Western Digital Purple drives, probably $150 each.
6 of the Hikvision cameras were about $200 each.
The license plate camera was around $600.

I pulled all the cable and punched down the wiring connectors, as well as mounting the cameras. Probably a few hours of labor there.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top