Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/10/2022 8:24:51 PM EDT
My wife is a security nut. She told me to ask the hive what security camera set up would be good for home and my shop? Wired or Wi-Fi? We have the Ring but I think it’s lame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I had security issues with Dahua and Hikvision cams but it was a hodge podge of NVR and camera brands. Currently I have a Reolink 4K system that is working well and did not require any kind of crazy router firewall pass through or DDNS forwarding nonsense. I also underestimated having audio recordings. Pretty cool feature.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Lulz I love that one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife is a security nut. She told me to ask the hive what security camera set up would be good for home and my shop? Wired or Wi-Fi? We have the Ring but I think it’s lame. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
View Quote

I don't know the answer, but you're wife being keyed up on security is awesome.  Wish my wife was as interested.

that being said, I recently put up a swann system on the garage, that covers a good portion of my property.  I'm pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lulz I love that one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lulz I love that one.

Yep, and the guy lived.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
THATs gonna leave a mark……

We have a Blink, still don’t know what to think about it.  My biggest whine is the 6 second delay in camera coverage.  Six seconds is a lot of time for stuff to happen.  Having said that, I need to look check the settings (which my SO set up) to see if I can tweak them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Hikvision or Dahua running in Blueiris
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had the Arlo's for several years. If I were to go again, they would be a hard pass. I have had instances lately where my wife has gone out to the driveway and driven off in her car (which the cam is pointed right at) and absolutely nothing recorded. Can't trust them to do the job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Poe wired is still the best. Get 8MP resolution

Reolink
Amcrest
Hikvision
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]

WTF? ?? I hope he survived. WOW
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I cannot speak highly enough for Unifi Protect personally.  There is no subscription, the data is recorded locally so no cloud to snoop on your cameras, it is closed circuit but IP based. The prices aren't horrible though stock is really hard to come by right now. B&H Photo Video is a good source if the UI store is out of stock some times too.

I've got two doorbells, and three other cameras up around my property.  I get alerts for motion if I want them and recording based on configuration.  Retention is based on storage available more than anything.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I have reolink, been flawless for 4 years now
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I cannot speak highly enough for Unifi Protect personally.  There is no subscription, the data is recorded locally so no cloud to snoop on your cameras, it is closed circuit but IP based. The prices aren't horrible though stock is really hard to come by right now. B&H Photo Video is a good source if the UI store is out of stock some times too.

I've got two doorbells, and three other cameras up around my property.  I get alerts for motion if I want them and recording based on configuration.  Retention is based on storage available more than anything.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had security issues with Dahua and Hikvision cams but it was a hodge podge of NVR and camera brands. Currently I have a Reolink 4K system that is working well and did not require any kind of crazy router firewall pass through or DDNS forwarding nonsense. I also underestimated having audio recordings. Pretty cool feature.
View Quote
Reolink. Wired
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Vote for UniFi
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Reolink POE cameras here as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have blink.

Love the wireless, love the batteries, can put them up anywhere.

Still haven't checked the thumb drive to see what that captures.

You can set instant notifications
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poe wired is still the best. Get 8MP resolution

Reolink
Amcrest
Hikvision
View Quote

How much AI is built into a system like this? Does it send motion alerts? Can you set a detection zone? Can you set it to only detect people or vehicles?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He's napping because he was tired.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Lorex, made by FLIR.  I have a wired system since my only source of Internet is a Hotspot device
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Blink cameras going on 7 years now, quite sufficient for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How much AI is built into a system like this? Does it send motion alerts? Can you set a detection zone? Can you set it to only detect people or vehicles?
View Quote
Reolinks new system says it has person recognition.

my older system you can set zones, trip wires and the sensitivity of the zone. Takes a while to get dailed in but it works pretty good. Never miss anything. Get some
false alerts. Bugs /snow mostly.

alerts sent to my phone/email/wife's phone instantly.  It Alerts me the second I pull in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Reolinks new system says it has person recognition.

my older system you can set zones, trip wires and the sensitivity of the zone. Takes a while to get dailed in but it works pretty good. Never miss anything. Get some
false alerts. Bugs /snow mostly.

alerts sent to my phone/email/wife's phone instantly.  It Alerts me the second I pull in.
View Quote

Thanks. I've got some crappy IP cams that used to work pretty well, but recent updates seem to have ruined all the "smart" features. They do record 24/7 to onboard SD cards, but they definitely aren't "real" security cams.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Ring system to watch a remote property in Maine.

It's excellent day and night, picking up even small critters walking across the lawn, with few false alarms.

It's great as when people trigger any camera, your phone gets an alert and you can engage them in conversation on camera live.

The downside is it's expensive and has monthly fees unlike alot of cameras that are buy once and it's free after the initial investment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Wired. Never do wireless unless it’s a backup to a wired system, or for something unimportant.

I can easily, with a 20 year old laptop, knock all of your wireless cameras offline. It’s stupid easy, low tech and hard to stop.

Depending on your wireless security, Combined with lower security cameras, I can even view them.

Go wired if you want reliability.

Also, I use Unifi cameras.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Vote for UniFi
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with Blink and have a dozen cameras around the property.
It is OK, not great, not awful.
Price was right catching the cameras on sale.

Easily expandable and pretty cheap to get started with a couple of cameras.
Battery life is good if the camera is not in a high traffic area.
Front door camera batteries lasts over a year. Side yard gate almost 2 years. Patio about 6 months with the dogs going in and out several times a day.
Interior cameras can be plugged in or you can get wireless ones to move around.
They have worked fine when it is -20 outside.

Downsides are:
They do not record if your internet is out as they stream to the cloud first. Which results in a 6 second lag in viewing.
You cannot set the armed schedule at the camera level only at the profile/base unit.
This means my always on front door camera is tied to one base.
Other exterior cameras to a second base.
Interior cameras to a third base.

If I have the cameras and work laptops on the same Wi-Fi channel my VPN will occasionally drop when a camera triggers and starts recording.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vote for UniFi

This is the way.

Unifi Protect - G4 cameras. Preferably G4 if you are not a poor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Hikvision cameras with a dedicated NVR.  It'll run like an appliance for years and you won't have to fiddle with it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Reolink POE cameras here as well.
View Quote

Same, 6- 4K and all good so far
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Lorex (Dahua) 4K (8MP) cameras and BlueIris. Will do ANYTHING you want (even text you when someone or something crosses from area x to area y or vice versa or both.
I’ve got a mix of 2K and 4K with audio.

Moderate learning curve, but once you’ve got it setup is the bees knees and tech support is decent. Also has a mobile client for easy phone viewing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Love Arlo simple works great and great pictures
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Also check out PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom). If you want to go with a data plan Reolink has a cam called ReoLink GO PT Plus (only pan and tilt). You have to buy a data card (EIOT is a favorite among reviewers it seems) but it will send short videos back to your phone if you want rather than pictures.
I guess people are using it for game cams also. Very cool idea.

Cellular Security/Trail Camera ReoLink GO PT Plus Review
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks guys. Wife unit just ordered the. 1000 dollar Reolink setup and the Cat 6, 1000 feet for 190 dollars. Looking forward to getting it set up. Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Lorex Nocturnal series. Wired. There is not a single light in my driveway on:

Attachment Attached File

Edit: the quality is compressed in live mode for web access, but is stored in high definition on the DVR for playback or on the station monitor.

That confused me for a little while at first.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Reolink poe here. Works good. Can access the cameras from my phone and see what's going on around my property.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate the thought of another subscription.  Went with Costco Lorex.  Good for how cheap they are
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Two big questions to ask yourself…

Do you want 24/7 recording?
How far is the area you want to see?

WiFi cams are easy and do send alerts but the motion has to be close to the cam.

I like the cctv option for seeing out buildings and covering large areas and WiFi cams around my driveway and points of entry for the early warning notifications.

I work for ADT and we sell way more WiFi cams mainly do to the initial cost of the cctv…very labor intensive.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a Reolink NVR system. It was remarkably easy to set up, aside from running Ethernet cables through the attic. It just works. I really like it. No ongoing costs, either.

In terms of performance, it goes like this for camera systems:

1. Wired Ethernet connection.
2. Wifi with a plug-in power source.
3. Battery/solar wifi system.

If at all possible, get a hardwired Ethernet system. The performance difference is night and day.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Not Ring.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#42]

I'm running Hikvision 4 megapixel cameras plus a Reolink and an SCW camera with Blue Iris.  I made sure to buy my Hikvision cameras through BHPhoto so that they have American firmware.  The SCW also has American firmware and is actually made by Univision.  I really don't know much about the insides of the Reolink.  My wife likes the cameras because we can always watch footage of the animals coming through the yard.  Tonight, we got to watch a fox scampering through the yard on 4 different cameras.  A couple of weeks ago we watched 3 buzzards walking around, got 2 cameras showing two of them getting in on in our driveway.  That's something I never thought I would see...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Unifi Protect.  I have a network of 2dz cameras on 705 acres at our range.  Crappy satellite internet and I can review footage remotely.  Motion detection works fairly well.  Have caught trespassers and use it to verify who accesses our range.  User friendly and NVR is onsite.

Hard to get right now due to chip shortage.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#44]
That dude in the meme survived, skull fracture and chest brokies.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Based on arfcoms recommendations I went with a Reolink system.

I was so impressed I have installed 6 systems for all of my friends and family.

Very good camera quality and the app is top notch.

The only real downside to the system is the motion alerts suck. Way too sensitive if you live in the woods.

So basically I use it as a cctv so I can keep an eye on everything when I'm at work (I work from home).

I also use a Nest doorbell camera and a Nest inside camera that I use as a nanny cam that allows me to keep an eye on the kids inside when I'm working. I prefer the nest for inside since I can stream a single camera to a Google home hub (I can also display the doorbell camera from the home hub).
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Vivotek or Geovision are about the best value and aren't Chinese, but Korean. Dahua and Hikvision and the many relabels are Chinese.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have been running two Reolink systems for several years, and can't recommend them.

The NVR firmware is buggy - Features don't work, or stop working randomly.

They absolutely insist on doing a reboot at 2:00 AM every Sunday morning - despite having this function disabled.

The audio monitor output dies after a few hours of use - and requires user intervention to restore.

I backed up some video from one of the NVRs to a hard disk, for use in prosecuting a thief - And naturally, most of the backup video shit the bed.

IMO, Reolink is the Lucas Electric of security camera systems.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Hikvision or cam of choice and Blue Iris.   And my whole home network is Unifi.  Unifi Protect is great and it works, but the cost of the cameras and what you get just isn't worth it.  400-500 for a G4 Pro...you can get better for half the price.   That being said, Im waiting on their Doorbell Pro and AI 360 cam to come in stock.

Hikvision 4mp PTZ speed dome.  The only light on right now is the upstairs window across the street.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been real happy with my $25 wyze.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#50]
If you’re talking a real system, find an Avigilon integrator.

If you’re just looking for a big box solution, I think the Arlos aren’t Chinese made. Hikvision, Lorex, Dahua, they’re all Chinese made and are likely to have back doors built in. What’s the risk at your home?  Eh, probably not big, but does it make you feel weird that some dude in Shanghai can look in on you?

Wired POE is the only way to go. But then, you’re probably not worried about your home network being hacked. Work maybe, maybe not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top