Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2001 10:03:00 AM EDT
I just got this 1943 Walther P38 in 9mm and I can't figure out how to take it apart for some decent degreasing,cleaning and oiling.Please HELP!!? [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure it's empty. Put the safety ON.

Lock the slide back, and turn down the disassembly lever on the left front frame.

Hold the slide under control, and press the slide lock, releasing the slide.

Move the slide forward and off the frame, (the hammer will drop, as the slide is removed, don't worry this is normal).

Turn the slide over and look at the rear of the barrel.  You'll see a pin sticking out of the lock block.  Push the pin in and the lock block will pop up.

Pull the barrel forward out of the slide.

Pull up the rear of the lock block to remove it.

Unscrew the grip screw and remove the grips to expose the lock work.

Further disassembly is only recommended if you can find detailed instructions like the NRA Disassemble Guides.

To reassemble:

Put the front of the lock block into the groove in the barrel, and press down on the rear of the block.

Hold the block down and push the barrel into the slide.  

Start the slide onto the frame. Look inside the rear of the frame and you will see two safety levers and the ejector.  Press these down as you move the slide back.

Pull the slide back and hold it open with the slide lock.

Turn the disassembly lever back up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, you can pull a P-38 apart in less than 10 seconds.  It takes much longer to tell than to do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Bornfree...try this site for pics with instructions. It's easy. They are cool guns.

http://www.marstar.ca/waltp38s.htm
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]

lol try this...

1. first make sure its unloaded

2. With the magazine in place (empty) pull the slide back till the slide release engages the slide and locks the slide back.

3. remove the magazine

4. Rotate the disassembly lever (the lever in front of the slide release on the left side) forward towards the front sight.

5. With one hand on frame use you other hand to grasp the slide and pull the slide back the slide and slowly (while still grasping it)
let the slide move forward till there is no spring tension.

6. line up the rear of the slide with the rear of the frame so their flush with each other
(the way it looks when its completely assembled)

7. with index finger on trigger and thumb on the hammer, pull the trigger and bring the hammer forward till it stops
(like how you would decock a 1911 or any other semi auto pistol with a hammer)

8. With the hammer in its forward position simply slide the slide assembly off the frame.

9. To separate the barrel from the slide.
(from faris's post)
"Turn the slide over and look at the rear of the barrel. You'll see a pin sticking out of the lock block. Push the pin in and the lock block will pop up."
then simply pull the barrel out of the slide

[red] just a little tidbit of info to all, the sear on the p-38 was NEVER blued it was shipped from the factory and placed in the gun {IN THE WHITE} during the war.[/red]

This is one of the quickest ways to tell if a
p-38 has been refinished and the first thing a collector will look for

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everybody.It worked like a charm![flag]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Bornfree, are you going to shoot it?
I can see why you wouldn't, but I myself would rationalize anyway that eight rounds wouldn't hurt it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 44 BYF but sold it about 2 years ago. Sorry I did. Maybe If I stumble across another I will pick one up. The only thing I don't like about these guns is that they were created to kill Americans,Jews and anyone else to get in the way of an evil empire. Same with the 98K's  lugers ect. Just my personal thing. The germans definately are great gun makers and should be respected for that. If you look at the detail on the P-38 you can appreciate the craftsmanship on these weapons. Towards the end of the war they got a bit rough.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
thats a strech,p38 desighned to kill americans etc.......yes germany was the enemy but i doubt the gun makers were trying to desighn a gun that would kill a certain type of person?????
guns dont kill people ,people kill people!!!or somthin like that
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The gun was designed to kill the enemy. America was the enemy and when I see them I feel funny to know that gun might have killed some of my fellow americans or a helpless jewish person. Even one of the allies that tried to stop that tirany. It is just something I think about when I see them. Not saying that they are bad guns I like the design. And the craftsmanship is very good. Don't take it the wrong way just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Most P-38's were used on the Russians. Thats what the German people told me when I was there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of the Hi-power 9mm out there might hurt it , be careful.

red man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top