Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2001 4:18:50 PM EDT
All,

I'll soon be picking up my AR15.

What will I need to get "started" rifle shooting with an AR...

So far I figure

- a case (probably soft)
- several mags (any preferences)
- cleaning system (is otis the best?)
- lots of .223
- a sling (is the giles sling the defacto?)

anything else I'm missing? thanks in advance.

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
A MOUT training manual.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
A MOUT training manual.
View Quote

Where can I get that manual Imbroglio
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Desert Publications (Delta Press) sells, or at least they did sell, a book titled "Urban Combat", which is a reprint of the MOUT training manual FM 90-10-1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Case - I've found soft is best for transport to the range.  I only use the hard case for airline travel.

Cleaning kit - I prefer the Otis by a wide margin.  Dewey may be great for a benchrest gun, but I want something more easily transported

Ammo - case for SHTF, case for shooting

Mags - USGI, Thermold, Orlite.  Forget the rest.

Sling - Giles is good.  I actually don't use a sling most of the time.  I take the Giles off for range use.

More mags.

Spare parts kit.

Spare bolt.

More mags.

Did I mention more mags?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Giles sling! Outstanding!...Check
40 Mags...aww! maybe more! Check
10,000 rounds .223...Basic Load...Check
Good cleaning kit...Check
Case, I don't need no #@%&##*#! Case!
Well, maybe I do.  Case. Check
Ear protection for the range...Check
Good targets and sand bags for sighting in...Check
A good attitude...this may be hard to come by unless you have read the Constitution and Bill of Rights......Check
Determination to be the best shot you can be...you need time and good teachers...Check

As for those targets, may I suggest "The extra large Janet Reno look-a-likes in pink cardboard.  Shooting at such huge fat assed pieces of cardboard will prepare you for facing any horrifying wild animal!!!!..Check

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#8]
A shotgun and four wheel drive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
 In all serioousness, (Striker's post notwithstanding) you'll find a few things necessary- I suggest a hardside case.  Get a buttstock cleaning kit, an Otis or other quality cleaning kit for normal use, and a spare parts kit.  AR's have been known to have extractor failures, so the standard 'survival kit' is usually adequate.  Get as many good 30 round mags as you can afford, USGI or Thermold.  I suggest Blackhawk for any nylon gear - Mike Noell is a former SEAL team operator and knows good gear.  www.blackhawkindustries.com is the address.  Also suggest that you buy at least two 30 rnd mag carriers and perhaps a web belt.  The manual referred to by Imbroglio is US Army FM 90-10, Military Operation in Urban Terrain.  Follow the owner's manual for cleaning, and zeroing.  Be patient, the AR frequently needs about 100 or 200 rounds to break in.  Enjoy!  
            [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/90-1/toc.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Desert Publications (Delta Press) sells, or at least they did sell, a book titled "Urban Combat", which is a reprint of the MOUT training manual FM 90-10-1.
View Quote

Thanks[:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to scope it, get a hard case.
If you have the correct pivot pin you can
get a hard case that is not much larger than
a briefcase. Get a system to carry 6 30rnd.
mags..What brand of rifle did you choose?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the club.  
Get at least a butstock cleaning kit, and some CLP.  
Mags? Yup. Shoot for 10 to start. 2 range mags, 1 30, 1 20.  
Get at least 2 20's
8 30's including range ones.
Thermolds are nice and cheap, shoot for USGI. You can't keep thermolds loaded all the time.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
A few case of ammo. A few cases of beer. A couple of friends to shoot with. A place to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
An  NRA Membership
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
A goodDewey Cleaning rod for when you clean yer rifle at home, like 90% of the time.
Giles is good. I make my own- a large loop with a cinch in the middle forming a figure eight with the rifle at the bottom.
If you plan to shoot accuratly a Military shooting leather sling is a must, but so is a free floated barrel.
Break Free still works, even the new formula.
I would get an ugly soft case that doesnt scream 'tacitical' to the casual observer.
Plenty of usgi mags in 20 and 30.
John Plaster`s book The Ultimate sniper is a good refernce for rifle shooting, David Tubbs has an excellent book on the subject too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]
All,

thanks for the input! It's nice to get consistant feedback.

For the person who asked, I decided on a Bushmaster 16" flattop v-match with a carry handle for now, scope in the future once I learn how to fire iron sites well.

I now have a shopping list, and will be scouring the web for these goodies...

My wife is balking at the shooting buddy however... :-)

Regards,
Francis
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Many good ideas here. While you're getting all this stuff, it's time to start thinking about your next rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top