Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2001 8:52:41 AM EDT
Hello.. I've always thought that purchasing a ar15 here in maryland would be a hassle being as it is seen as a 'assault weapon.'  However, I know that supposedly HBARs are not considered this, so has anyone successfully purchased an HBAR ar15 in MD without going through the assault weapon BS?  Now, to get to my real question:  Would I be able to get a stripped lower receiver in to my FFL, and purchase it without having to go through the assault weapon law procedures?  If you have done this before, please tell me which FFL you purchased your lower receiver from.. either reply here or email me at [email protected].  Thanks for your time.

Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Might I reccomend the MDAR15 website
[url]communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite[/url]

Delmarksman
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Also you might look for posts by fight4yourrights or Forest.
They have been extremely helpfull.
And would surely answer any question you might have.
They also have an almost monthly shoot.
I went to the last and really enjoyed myself.
Even if it was a 2.5 hr. drive each way.
It was well worth the trip.

Del
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for that link, and to the proprietor of the page for putting together a good resource.  However, I could not find any info on that specific 'stripped lower' type deal.  It probably doesn't make any difference though, so I will pose another question:  Are there any neighboring states that would allow me, a legal MD resident, to purchase a ar15 stripped lower from them?  I am going to look up the laws in VA and PA regarding this, but if anyone can give me some help I would be grateful.

Thanks again.

Just to bemuse you, I will tell you the story of my AR-15 saga...  I was going to purchase an AR-15 before I got out of CA ( yeah, I'm a refugee ), but ended up purchasing a Mossberg 590 instead.  This was before the current law was in effect ofcourse.  I moved away to MD and purchased a pre-ban olympic arms stripped lower from someone.. probably about 8 months ago now.  I have an FFL holding it for me until I get things sorted out on my end.  I got pissed off at the stupid AW law here in MD and put it off a while.  Meanwhile I have a Beta C-mag, 11 USGI mags ( I had these all in MD before '96 I promise! ) a Bushmaster 14.5" M4 style upper with RAS and phantom flash suppressor just waiting for the lower receiver... till this day they still sit in a box lonely.  I hope to change that soon though. [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
A stripped lower is considered a "Regulated Firearm" in Maryland and is subject to the additional checks, 7 day waiting period and 1 gun per month limit.

The Colt Sporter H-Bar is specifically exempted from the "Regulated Firearms" law.  Some gunshops have gotten confirmation from the State Police that includes [i]any[/i] H-Bar, and some believe it's only Colt.

My first Bushmaster AR-15 was over the counter, the 2nd one I bought elsewhere was subject to the waiting period, since the store owner was a weenie and wouldn't double check with the State Police.

Regarding driving to a neighboring state and making your purchase, it just depends.  I've heard stories of dealers insisting on shipping to a MD FFL (thereby subjecting it to the Regulated Firearms provisions) and other dealers that didn't give a sh*t about our silly laws.  YMMV

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
When I purchased my Bushmaster Shorty, the dealer said it wasn't considered a long gun and not an "assault weapon". The dealer that's doing the transfer on my LEGP rifle says that this is classified as an "assault rifle" and must go through the  state police handgun check. Like F4YR says, it depends on the FFL.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone wanna maybe provide me with some good maryland FFLs?  I've been through the wringer with old crappy ones in CA.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#7]
cwalker3: the reason your LEGP was a regulated firearm was because it was a lightweight barrel.  If it had been a HBar barrel, it would have been an over-the-counter sale and you would have been out of there after the NICS check.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top