Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2001 10:08:59 PM EDT
Nope I haven't seen it.  I'm SOLICITING a review from one of my trusted bretheren before I put any $ on it.

Anyone seen it yet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=24782[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=24642[/url]

Try these.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep saw it today.  I don't know what the critics were complaining about unless they were worried that some scenes might stir a patriotic feeling or two in the hearts of a few Americans.

First off I go to movies to be entertained.  I want a little diversion.  I don't go looking for reasons to belittle the writing, directing, or acting.  Unless it's really Bad Cinema I'm likely to be OK with it.

This film has great special effects.  The scenes portraying the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor were on a par with the scenes of amphibious assault in "Saving Private Ryan".  You came away thinking "Jeese, I wouldn't want to be involved in anything like that!".

I thought it contrived that an Army Air Corps pilot would be sent to pull sailors out of the harbor.  Some of the dialogue was out of a John Wayne movie, but so what?  I like the Duke and his movies.

It was a love story set against the background of WW2.  Have you ever seen "In Harms Way"?  I saw nothing for anyone to get their panties in a twist re: pissing off the Japs or the Germans.

My wife and I liked it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I saw nothing for anyone to get their panties in a twist re: pissing off the Japs or the Germans.

My wife and I liked it.
View Quote

You mean the Japs or the KRAUTS, don't you?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Imbro,

Don't you think "Japs and Germans" rolls more trippingly off the tongue than "Japs and Krauts"?

Actually I grew up thinking "Dirtyjaps" was one word.  My father (now deceased) was a Marine, and served in the Solomon Islands (Guadal Canal and others).  Things were rough and all my aunts (I had four) took it personal about our current allies taking a whack at their baby brother.  My father was the only family member of age to serve in WW2, his younger brother fought in Korea.  I guess because of this the war in Europe was less real to me.

This is in no way meant to offer offense to anyone of Japanese heritage.  It's just a piece of history, and sheds light on how a country at war could herd loyal citizens into concentration camps.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You people are letting the KRAUTS and the WOPS off the hook for what they did in WW2 when you instead refer to them as germans and italians.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
WOPS, I haven't heard that in a while.  You do know where that term comes from don't you?  Apparantly most of the European immigrants through Ellis Island had papers, birth certificates and such, but the poor Italians had none.  So they received the designation "WithOut PaperS,"  or WOPS.  Christians had a chalk cross put on their lapels and Jews a circle.  The Yiddish term for circle is Keikel, or "Kike."  Your history lesson for the day.

The family really wants to go see the film but I hate to pay Alec Baldwin, so do what I do.  Buy a ticket to a different film and go see it instead.  Let some other film company and producer get credit for your $7
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought it contrived that an Army Air Corps pilot would be sent to pull sailors out of the harbor.
View Quote

Why?  An AF crew pulled a downed Navy pilot out of Iraq.  AF specops insert and extract SEALs, Rangers and SF teams as well as provide CAS.  I doubt the guys in the harbor cared what insigna the guy was wearing.

I've read the director, writer, whoever went to great lengths to avoid offending our enemies.

Think I'll pass.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Went and saw it yesterday.  I don't know what I expected of the movie, but I left the theater unexcited and a little let down.  Didn't think it was up to snuff for all the hype it's been getting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
So where does dago come from?

My uncle was in the army of occupation in Japan. To this day he hates the Japanese with a passion. I guess his son figured that out at an early age because he married a Japanese-American girl.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Just returned from the 11pm-2am show, and I really liked it.  While not as good as Pvt. Ryan, I think it was right on par.  Beat the heck out of Enemy at the Gates and Thin Red Buttcrack Line.

I thought the love sequence was a little played out, but it turned out to be the ultimate tradgedy.  The combat was A1 as were the special effects.

As for the Pilots helping in the harbor, and the black guy manning the anti-aircraft guns, well, from every story I've read about this is 100% accurate.  When the shooting was all over, EVERYONE manned rowboats and tried to rescue men in the water.

I'd say it was worth the $5.50.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Me and the girl saw it this weekend. More accurate than I expected, but still some errors, like crash landing B25s and surviving. Love story was not required but didn't KILL the movie. Not bad though becuase it is now a good movie to take the wife or GF to. Probably the best since Tora, Tora, Tora. Even Midway had a stupid(and far more distracting)love story. I enjoyed it completely and will rent it when it comes out on video. Baldwin, still sucks. I really thought they would completely f*ck up this movie. Of course the worst on record, still has to be the 1978 miniseries "Pearl Harbor" with Angie Dickenson.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll see it during my "2 for the price of 1" day today.  How "2 for 1" you ask?  Easy: buy a ticket for one, and sneak in to watch 2 [:D].

I'm gonna end up paying for Shrek, and seeing Pearl Harbor, so it looks like Dreamworks is going to get my $6 today.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought it contrived that an Army Air Corps pilot would be sent to pull sailors out of the harbor.
View Quote

Why?  An AF crew pulled a downed Navy pilot out of Iraq.  AF specops insert and extract SEALs, Rangers and SF teams as well as provide CAS.  I doubt the guys in the harbor cared what insigna the guy was wearing.

Eddie
View Quote

LS1:
You'd have to see the movie to see why it was contrived.  Also since no one knew that the attack was over, I'll bet Command was trying to put every pilot and airplane up to defend against the anticipated invasion landing.  I'm sure they'd rather have had a hot shot pilot manning a Thunderbolt rather than a rowboat.

Steyraug:
Try reading "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo".  It's a good book.  Some bomber crews did have to crash land in China.  I think in the book it tells about one plane that tried to land on the beach.  I could be wrong, it's been a long time since I read that book.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say worth the matinee price I paid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
"Why? An AF crew pulled a downed Navy pilot out of Iraq. AF specops insert and extract SEALs, Rangers and SF teams as well as provide CAS. I doubt the guys in the harbor cared what insigna the guy was wearing."

I'm a doorgunner with the 210RSQ in the Alaska Air Guard.  We go in after any downed pilot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think there is anything wrong with calling them Germans and Italians rather than krauts and wops.

I grew up in the mid/late 60's and when we weren't shooting Indians we were shooting Germans, not krauts. And this was a town that held German Heritage Days every year. Umpah bands, bratts and schnitzel everywhere.

I haven't read much on Pearl Harbor for years, but even 'Tora, Tora, Tora' had a scene of a black sailor running to, and manning an AA gun. He played more of a cameo role in that movie. But he was there. And probably was in real life.

If "Pearl Harbor" is better than "Enemy at the Gates" I'll go watch it. "Enemy.." was a let down.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
The Doolittle Raiders didn't crash-land their B-25s. They had a pretty good documentary this weekend on The History Channel regarding what ACTUALLY happened at Pearl and on the Doolittle raid. When the raiders realized that they wouldn't make the landing site for refueling, Doolittle made the decision to bail out while they still had control over their aircraft. One man died due to a bad 'chute that didn't open and two died due to drowning while trying to struggle free of their gear and swim to shore. One crew disregarded this and landed in Soviet Russia and was interned for the duration of the war. Since the raiders were scattered over a wide area, it took several days to hook up and two crews ultimately wound up POWs of the Japanese. Of the two crews who were imprisoned by the Japanese, their surviving pilots and bombardiers (3 in all) were tried in a kangaroo war crimes court and sentenced to death (carried out by firing squad). Of the remaining POWs, one died of malnutrition and disease while a prisoner. The raiders were volunteers of a bomber squadron based in Pendleton, Oregon selected by Doolittle since they flew only the B-25. They were adressed by Doolittle in an auditorium, vice the high drama of the movie. Some very brave men, whose numbers are dwindling every day, who don't need their story told in a PC MTV fashion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top