Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/14/2022 2:45:37 AM EDT
"you know Johnny, if you really apply yourself and do a good job, I can afford another sportscar" har har har aha ahah

"BOSSES ARE DICKS!"

"my boss doesn't appreciate my effort, all he complains about is when im late"

"Yeah what an ASSHOLE!"

You know what's never late? YOUR FUCKING PAYCHECK...Wanna know why? Because payroll is the FIRST thing that gets paid, followed by expenses, followed by insurance...then and only then does the boss see ANYTHING.

BTW no matter how well you're paid you never "appreciate" that paycheck you EXPECT IT, on time- every time.  

So next time you feel like the boss doesn't appreciate your work realize that not only does he have to feed HIS kids- he has to feed YOURS.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:49:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

GEN X  - noob
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m having a hard time finding employees too OP.
Just keep jacking your prices and paying employees more.
Sucks, but is what it is. This is why prices change on the grocery store shelf.

Eta - just had a girl yesterday come to me. Skipped her supervisor and manager, and wanted a raise from $21hr to $25-$27hr. She knew she’d be creeping up on what her higher ups were making.
She was hired 2-3 years ago doing entry level data imputing for $4hr over minimum wage ($16hr).
Zero experience or college. I’ll pay her, but she’ll need to agree to take on more responsibility and up her game. I did tell her how much she’s appreciated. Which, she really is. Great girl, and I want to keep her.
Employers are being pinched - we still have unemployment being paid out without question in our area. Nobody wants to work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eta - just had a girl yesterday come to me. Skipped her supervisor and manager, and wanted a raise from $21hr to $25-$27hr.
She was hired 2-3 years ago doing entry level data imputing for $4hr over minimum wage ($16hr).
Zero experience or college. I’ll pay her, but she’ll need to agree to take on more responsibility and up her game. I did tell her how much she’s appreciated. Which, she really is. Great girl, and I want to keep her.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:56:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"you know Johnny, if you really apply yourself and do a good job, I can afford another sportscar" har har har aha ahah

"BOSSES ARE DICKS!"

"Yeah what an ASSHOLE!"

You know what's never late? YOUR FUCKING PAYCHECK...Wanna know why? Because payroll is the FIRST thing that gets paid, followed by expenses, followed by insurance...then and only then does the boss see ANYTHING.

BTW no matter how well you're paid you never "appreciate" that paycheck you EXPECT IT, on time- every time.  

So next time you feel like the boss doesn't appreciate your work realize that not only does he have to feed HIS kids- he has to feed YOURS.
View Quote
My manager and my paycheck are unrelated.  He is an employee just like me and neither of us work for the payroll department.

His job is to assign work to me and answer my questions about said work, so I do the work as needed, but I am responsible for earning my paycheck. He doesn't pay me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get it.
As business owners, we are last. Many think we are not, but we know, and that’s all that matters.
Just hop on adjusting your pricing asap. It’s literally what I’ve been doing the past year, almost daily. We have thousands of customers.

Eta - and as quick as I adjusted customer rates May 2021-Dec 2021, I’m having to readjust and bump up even more 2022. Just adjusting rates to match market has been a full time job. 3 years ago, it just took 3-4 weeks in December
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Eta - just had a girl yesterday come to me. Skipped her supervisor and manager, and wanted a raise from $21hr to $25-$27hr. She knew she’d be creeping up on what her higher ups were making.
Employers are being pinched - we still have unemployment being paid out without question in our area. Nobody wants to work.
View Quote

The new Covid economy is Bizarro world...its like they want Benjimen Button paychecks..."Pay me now what I will be worth in twenty years"
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"BOSSES ARE DICKS!"

"Yeah what an ASSHOLE!"

View Quote

We expect it on time because it’s not a favor, it’s a legal fucking obligation.

Employees shouldn’t get a pat on the back for being on time, but neither should employers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]
My experience in leading people led me to understand that I don't ever want to be the one in charge again. Ever. For any money.

I now go to work each day with the goal of making my bosses day a little easier. Most days I can accomplish that goal by simply not causing my them any problems. I show up, do my shit well, and go the fuck home.

If shit needs to be done....I do it. If its out of my lane....I leave it the fuck alone. I don't tell my boss how to do his job, (one which I certainly can do) and he is considerate enough to return the favor.

I do my part to make the owners wealthy, and they never bat an eye when I request anything.  It is an incredibly simple relationship.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I get it.
As business owners, we are last. Many think we are not, but we know, and that’s all that matters.
Just hop on adjusting your pricing asap. It’s literally what I’ve been doing the past year, almost daily. We have thousands of customers.

Eta - and as quick as I adjusted customer rates May 2021-Dec 2021, I’m having to readjust and bump up even more 2022. Just adjusting rates to match market has been a full time job. 3 years ago, it just took 3-4 weeks in December
View Quote

Im a much smaller operation...here's the crazy bit: New hires want $32/hr meanwhile Romex has jumped from $35 a roll to $137!!!

Just crazy....off to shock another client with pricing tomorrow!

Thanks Black---needed to vent.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Ehh... I am absolutely no marxist by any stretch, but the employee feeds their kids with their work performed. Their payment for the work isn't a gift. It's theirs and they deserve it. It is how you are getting an income stream in the first place. The workers and managers get their money first because the owner rightfully gets to keep what is left. Sometimes that's not much, but most of the time it is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Your wine makes you sound like a horrible boss.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The new Covid economy is Bizarro world...its like they want Benjimen Button paychecks..."Pay me now what I will be worth in twenty years"
View Quote

I completely agree. But it’s because they’re being told by friends/family “ask for more, more, more! They’re forced to pay you!!”  Which is somewhat true. We’ve bumped up the people we really want to keep, mainly supervisors and managers, so can maintain good rapport with the rest of our employees. (Although, everyone has received significant raises).
As long as your services are being paid market rates by your customers, you should be able to still be competitive on the payroll side. Our employee count went from 120 prior to covid and $300K a month payroll, to 85 employees and $230K a month payroll….For like - 6 months. Then - shit hit the fan! We’re now at 96 employees, and $300K. Payroll skyrocketed, but accounts receivable did as well.
P&L remains much of the same prior to covid.
It’s a balance.

(And I’m keeping that 96 number under 100 on purpose - fuck the .Gov mandate shit)
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ehh... I am absolutely no marxist by any stretch, but the employee feeds their kids with their work performed. Their payment for the work isn't a gift. It's theirs and they deserve it. It is how you are getting an income stream in the first place. The workers and managers get their money first because the owner rightfully gets to keep what is left. Sometimes that's not much, but most of the time it is.
View Quote
This.  My company makes more income from the work that I do for them, than they pay me.  They profit from my work and this is true of nearly every employee on the planet.  

They aren't paying me out of the goodness of their heart or something...

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Im a much smaller operation...here's the crazy bit: New hires want $32/hr meanwhile Romex has jumped from $35 a roll to $137!!!

View Quote

Shame your in California, I've got a pile of Klein tools I'd dust off for $32/hr.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

California electrical contractor? My condolences.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]
it's only going to get worse as the workforce dies off and gets sick
Indiana life insurance CEO says deaths are up 40% among people ages 18-64
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Employee screws up and it could cost the owner everything they worked for their entire life. What’s the employee out? At most a paycheck.

That’s why owner/boss makes the big bucks. It’s compensation for baring the risk.

You want boss bucks? Fork out the capital for a business and put it all at risk for the rest of your career.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shame your in California, I've got a pile of Klein tools I'd dust off for $32/hr.

View Quote

$32 is pretty low for the area tbh. Add 8-10 an hour for a mid sized metro area in Oregon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:21:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So when you hire a new guy at 32 do you adjust for the guys that have stuck with you?

I doubt it.

Loyalty is a two way street.  And that’s why it pays for people to hop around
View Quote

That’s a really tough one, and why it’s really hard to run a business right now.
The lower paying jobs ($30-$40K) are competing with unemployment, the higher ones ($50-$80K yr) are not.
So we are having to pay the lower end wages higher, but the higher end positions are more leveled out, because market rate can’t adjust to the same ratio - I’m talking actual market rate.
I can’t pay a warehouse supervisor $60K 2 years ago, and $90K tomorrow. That’s like, fucking college degree pay and there isn’t enough juice in the squeeze.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Owner/boss bares all the risk. All of it.

Employee screws up and it could cost the owner everything they worked for their entire life. What’s the employee out? At most a paycheck.

That’s why owner/boss makes the big bucks. It’s compensation for baring the risk.

You want boss bucks? Fork out the capital for a business and put it all at risk for the rest of your career or shut up about it.

An entire generation doesn’t get this. Yes millennials, I’m talking to you.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So when you hire a new guy at 32 do you adjust for the guys that have stuck with you?

I doubt it.

Loyalty is a two way street.  And that’s why it pays for people to hop around
View Quote

keep hopping, then look at the unemployment numbers....Mommy will eventually get tired of staying at her house, "helping" with the car payment and watching crotchfruit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Outed.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have only had a small handful of clients question our increases. Like, less than 5%. They are all expecting it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:26:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

$32 is pretty low for the area tbh. Add 8-10 an hour for a mid sized metro area in Oregon.
View Quote

that's to start, a little theory and troubleshooting skills and it goes significantly higher.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s a really tough one, and why it’s really hard to run a business right now.
The lower paying jobs ($30-$40K) are competing with unemployment, the higher ones ($50-$80K yr) are not.
So we are having to pay the lower end wages higher, but the higher end positions are more leveled out, because market rate can’t adjust to the same ratio - I’m talking actual market rate.
I can’t pay a warehouse supervisor $60K 2 years ago, and $90K tomorrow. That’s like, fucking college degree pay and there isn’t enough juice in the squeeze.
View Quote

I'm confused, warehouse supervisors don't have college degrees?

And why would just a generic college degree justify a 30k+ on a supervisor role? Online degree mills def saturated that market and experience is king right now
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have only had a small handful of clients question our increases. Like, less than 5%. They are all expecting it.
View Quote
I had the same contractor out to my house twice last year for 2 different things.  I like him and his crew and I would hire them again.

The second time he came out he made mention that the work he had done the first time, 6 months prior, would cost me double what he charged me 6 months ago, just because of material and labor costs.  I said that I would not have paid double what he asked for the first time.  That that sounded crazy for what was a small job.  

He said without being a jerk about it, that honestly, that that would have been fine. That his phone won't stop ringing day and night and he is drowning in work.  That he responded to me because I am a prior customer but most of his "new" calls, he is just turning down unless they are large job.  Even then, those are getting scheduled very far in the future.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#32]
lol

I work for a big insurance company.  My boss is just another worker bee, like me.

You know what gets paid first?  Claims.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:33:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm confused, warehouse supervisors don't have college degrees?

And why would just a generic college degree justify a 30k+ on a supervisor role? Online degree mills def saturated that market and experience is king right now
View Quote

LOL - honestly, some might, but I don’t look at that. Experience is everything in our industry. Most supervisors and managers I have started lower on the pole, and moved their way up. We tried the “hire from outside method” backfired, continuously.

I used the college degree term loosely, as more of a dedicated, specialized degree targeting a certain market. I.E. - engineer, IT/Tech, Teacher, DR, etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I just switched jobs and new boss is a bigger asshole than old boss and I'm thinking about going back to old boss.

Seriously though, some bosses are assholes though. Don't be so dismissive. It's not just me that feels that way about my boss. Everybody is apparently getting sick of his shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#35]
lollllllll
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had the same contractor out to my house twice last year for 2 different things.  I like him and his crew and I would hire them again.

The second time he came out he made mention that the work he had done the first time, 6 months prior, would cost me double what he charged me 6 months ago, just because of material and labor costs.  I said that I would not have paid double what he asked for the first time.  That that sounded crazy for what was a small job.  

He said without being a jerk about it, that honestly, that that would have been fine. That his phone won't stop ringing day and night and he is drowning in work.  That he responded to me because I am a prior customer but most of his "new" calls, he is just turning down unless they are large job.  Even then, those are getting scheduled very far in the future.
View Quote

100% believable. I helped out one of our rates clerks when we were short people one day a month back. I was on her computer responding to emails for 2hrs.
I had to turn down more business in 2hrs than what we would have been asked to quote 3 years ago, in 5-7days.
I can’t expand my warehouses easily (you are forced to sign 5-7 year leases right now - dangerous if economy reverses or changes!!) and I can’t buy trucks, trailers, forklifts, even getting propane and fuel delivered has been disrupted at times!
Shit is real out there! Real fucked up
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This.  My company makes more income from the work that I do for them, than they pay me.  They profit from my work and this is true of nearly every employee on the planet.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP disagrees.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"BOSSES ARE DICKS!"

"Yeah what an ASSHOLE!"

View Quote

Some people do appreciate their boss. I do greatly, he created a company and gave me a job and I really appreciate his hard work, too.

I may complain sometimes, but I'm paid to deal with problems and sometimes the stress is high.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LOL - honestly, some might, but I don’t look at that. Experience is everything in our industry. Most supervisors and managers I have started lower on the pole, and moved their way up. We tried the “hire from outside method” backfired, continuously.

I used the college degree term loosely, as more of a dedicated, specialized degree targeting a certain market. I.E. - engineer, IT/Tech, Teacher, DR, etc.
View Quote

I've met some pretty sharp warehouse and distribution center guys at the management level.

Never really thought about if they had a specific degrees or not, but I assume they were doing okay financially

I also agree, promoting from within and looking for experience is everything right now (known vs unknown)
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry, OP, but there are ungrateful bosses. Mine is also just an employee of a large company and he abuses my hourly exempt status. My regular schedule is 4 3rd shifts a weekSunday night-Wednesday night, about 12 hours each. Business needs, so we need an extra shift this month. Now it’s really busy so we need an extra shift every week this month to get us out the hole. Where the fuck is my extra 25% in pay for working 25% more?

Oh, now we need to help with a side project and you don’t want hourly employees doing it, so all management needs to come in on Saturday after just working an extra shift. So now I’m here for 12 fucking days straight and you still want to give me shit because I booked a flight months ago for right after work on a “regular” 4 day schedule to take full advantage of my week off the following week and not taking into cons there may be an OT shift planned? Fuck that, that’s fucking ungrateful as FUCK!
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Its not easy but you at least understand where the attitudes coming from.

Other guy still has the cliche “technicians/skilled labor guys are dime a dozen and are just lucky to have a job” attitude that hes now finding out isnt true anymore

When I can walk out of my job tomorrow and have a job within 30 mins probably 20-28% higher you’re at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to negotiations.

View Quote

I do, and I think they should both be tamed a bit on both sides. I’ve had employees try to hold our feet to the fire, go looking - and find nothing.
Hell, my wife right now is looking. She’s a $70-$80K person, great employee. I’d hire her in a heartbeat at $90K - but I don’t want a divorce - she’d get mad I work 10am-3pm and she works 8am-4pm LOL. She doesn’t need to work, but I like toys and she likes vacations - and I don’t want her to go bat-shit crazy like all the other stay at home moms, so she’s on a job hunt. Took a 6 month hiatus after her white-paper industry job went tits-up after covid, but she’s back in the search now. She’s late 30’s - perfect employee for work ethic. She’s passed up 3-4 solid offers on what she was being paid prior, and one offer that was $10K more a year, 2 more weeks Vacay, better benefits - but for whatever reason she didn’t think she’d be happy there. She’s been surprised that as many positions that are open, there is still a shit ton of people applying for. So you have to stand out to land more $$$$.
Which, just like me hiring, I’m not going to pay an idiot $70K a yr unless you’re worth it.
I think the market is tricky. The truly good folks that work hard and have experience in their field, will do well finding better positions.
The shit-birds that just want more money, to “want more money because I’m the best and I deserve it” will be faced with reality if they’re a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Some people do appreciate their boss. I do greatly, he created a company and gave me a job and I really appreciate his hard work, too.

I may complain sometimes, but I'm paid to deal with problems and sometimes the stress is high.
View Quote

Killer attitude!!!! Love it

For the record - I had this attitude 22 years ago - and kept it for 15 years until I was an owner. Was hired on at $10.50hr as an assistant dispatcher in 2000 - senior year in HS. Back then we were 20 employees and did 800K yr.
Now I own 33% of the company, 96 employees, and we click off 12MIL yr.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You want boss bucks? Fork out the capital for a business and put it all at risk for the rest of your career.
View Quote

Different ownership structures - look them up. Also, that's what insurance is for.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Different ownership structures - look them up. Also, that's what insurance is for.
View Quote

Bullshit. There is no way to stay in business when catastrophic events happen. He’s right.
I’m at one of the highest industry limits for our industry on property damage, property liability, work-comp - you can blow through 5MIL in one bad accident. I pray every evening our employees will be watched over and stay safe. For their sake, mine, and our employees.  

LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp - whatever it is, you’re fucked if someone really wants to fuck you.

Yeah, sure, your LLC will protect from small liability. But if you operate a small business under an LLC, and one of your employees kills a number of people or themselves, you could easily be fucked out of everything you’ve worked for. They will dig, and dig, and run you out of every dollar they can. Law firms have more money than you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bullshit. There is no way to stay in business when catastrophic events happen. He’s right.

LLC, S-Corp, C-Corp - whatever it is, you’re fucked if someone really wants to fuck you.

Yeah, sure, your LLC will protect from small liability. But if you operate a small business under an LLC, and one of your employees kills a number of people or themselves, you could easily be fucked out of everything you’ve worked for. They will dig, and dig, and run you out of every dollar they can. Law firms have more money than you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big difference between an employee screwing up and "someone fucking you."

Edit: in the grand scheme of things, what you're describing is extremely fucking rare to the average business owner. Think about how many businesses are in this country compared to how many workplace shootings there are. I bet it's like .00000001%.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a boss 10+ years ago who's now retired but even to this day he is still my mentor. I turn to him when I need advice and take every opportunity I can to learn from him.

Glockluv as a young mid 20's contract worker on day 1.

New Boss: *pulls out his phone to look at a work text*

Me: Hey hate to ask here, but is that a Magpul phone cover you have?

New Boss: Why yes it is, how do you know that?

Me: Is it okay if I know that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Big difference between an employee screwing up and "someone fucking you."
View Quote

Wrong.
In “someone”, I’m talking insurance lawyers that are trained to eat you. As a business owner, you are responsible for every employee, and their actions. Intentional, or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For the record - I had this attitude 22 years ago - and kept it for 15 years until I was an owner. Was hired on at $10.50hr as an assistant dispatcher in 2020 - senior year in HS. Back then we were 20 employees and did 800K yr.
Now I own 33% of the company, 96 employees, and we click off 12MIL yr.
View Quote

Not brownnosing, but I really do appreciate the work he's done. Life is hard and we take a lot for granted.
I'm able to pay my bills and live a pretty good life.

Sometimes I lose perspective from the day to day stuff and I get lost.

Then I look at the big picture and the lessons I've learned, see the work everyone else is doing, benefits given and opportunities I've received.
Also see that I could do more if I applied myself more, tried harder, or learned new skills, just more lessons I need to learn.

Life is stressful and frustrating but appreciate the things you have, or at least remind yourself occasionally to appreciate what you have.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top