Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
it should be illegal for anyone to propose such laws.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy. No.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  And I'm not even a hoarder except for powder.  LGS had 10 1lb jugs of 4895.  I stopped every 3 days until I bought it all.  I could have bought all at once but I was trying to give those dumbasses a chance to get some.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as I got coffee, ammo, and women...I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Anti-horde? Laws against large groups of people?

Hell no.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
What about Rationing? You remember when you had to bring your coupon book to the store to get some meat and gas?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, the government should totally arrest people for having too much stuff, and confiscate that stuff.
then its approved agents can grade that stuff, and distribute the stuff that's deemed acceptable to more deserving citizens.
what's left can be burned in a pyre to send a message to those thinking of accumulating more than their allotted amount of stuff.

not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Blah blah fucking blah

I personally think that ...
View Quote

I personally think you should mind your own fucking business, and if you're going to support a law to take what I legally own for no reason other than your feeling about "hording" you should volunteer to show up and enforce it. Hope those plates are ceramic level 4.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People that drive faster than me are maniacs, people that drive slower are assholes.

But yes, you are right.
View Quote

Thanks, George!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually, many of the smaller craft beer breweries were able to adjust their production to make hand-sanitizer...that was very much an effective form of free-market capitalism for a product short in supply and high in demand.

Speculation is fine, but the problem comes when there are inside-traders who will invest because their wife told them 3M and other medical supplier stocks were going to go through the roof once a certain virus hits the our shores and the government mandates the use of face masks.  Those fuckers need to tarred, feathered, and a spiked mace shoved up their asses...

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, capitalism is building a hand sanitizer plant.

Speculation is buying a product with the hope that the price will go up. Speculation can occur in all economic systems.

Actually, many of the smaller craft beer breweries were able to adjust their production to make hand-sanitizer...that was very much an effective form of free-market capitalism for a product short in supply and high in demand.

Speculation is fine, but the problem comes when there are inside-traders who will invest because their wife told them 3M and other medical supplier stocks were going to go through the roof once a certain virus hits the our shores and the government mandates the use of face masks.  Those fuckers need to tarred, feathered, and a spiked mace shoved up their asses...

ROCK6

That is an excellent example of capitalism being the solution for a shortage.

I agree that tar and feathers is a much better solution for many issues than government regulation that often ends up being abused and making things worse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The terminology might be the issue. If someone is stockpiling products ahead of time, the action has a premeditated purpose and intended to provide supply in times of scarcity. Hording is undisciplined over-consumption that serves no actual purpose other than creating gratification for the horder during the accumulation phase, and then anxiety when it accumulates, because they can't emotionally part with it.

Hording
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-137SMs4UUJ8/WBtA6sQh9LI/AAAAAAAACw8/jSAgsg4fsoc-TtZ1n5yjWpC7HvgZbm8UACLcB/s640/compulsive-hoarding.jpg

Stockpiling
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Wy2gtJQp6E/V1vAXJjaeGI/AAAAAAAADdI/nCeLQxL1rxkN7ugZX4Gdhh1PFFM8wKrPwCK4B/s640/70577_stockpile3-1_pxdmgq.jpg
View Quote

I've often opined that the difference between hoarding and collecting comes down to storage space.  

If you watch shows like "American Pickers" where the residence is neat and organized, but they have a barn or metal building out back packed to the gills, they are a "collector" in spite of having mountains of crap piled up.  Move that same crap indoors, and now you're a hoarder.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Bill gates is hoarding dollars.  It must be stopped immediately!  He's preventing others from using those dollars and they need to be distributed to those who need them in these times of crisis.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
anti hoarding like a limit on cans of soup you can have? no

anti hoarding like you have to clean your property when the trash you hoard brings in rats and impacts your neighbors. yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Anti-hoarding laws are just a looting permit for the government.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

We used to teach children that if you didn't prepare for hard times you would starve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvr6JsNOF8
View Quote

You understand that's not what that cartoon showed us right? It showed us to help each other no matter the circumstances and that while you know the grasshopper is useless, don't let him die if it doesn't really hurt you much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Op be hoarding precious site resources
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Anti-hording ?

Listen, if I want to form a loose federation of Central Asian horse clans and conquer the known world, I’ll fucking do it, and I’ll be goddamned if the government will tell me I can’t.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
#empty shelves Biden thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Why is it that whenever we don't like something, we try to create new laws...
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I love this site, where among the hardcore "Muh freedom!"-types there are always some wondering if we need more laws.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are no laws against "hoarding". There is a federal statute against hoarding supplies specifically identified during an emergency as scare FOR the benefit of profit. I still don't like that law, but if bottled water was a scarce supply during an emergency and you have a warehouse full of it planning to sell it at $20 a bottle is less about a legal debate and more about an ethical and moral debate.  

That case, if I recall, was less about hoarding and more about price-gouging by buying up all the supply in the immediate affected area and then selling them at an outrageous price. That's different than the guy who purchased several generators in a region that had more supply than demand, and then transported and offered them in the region with high demand and no supply...that's how a free market addresses a need (for a profit) that the industry or government can't do fast enough.

Nope, no reason to have any. The biggest problem with hoarding laws is that bureaucrats will define and regulate with extreme bias, subjectivity, and inconsistency. Stupid laws and regulations turn bureaucrats into mini tyrants.

Nope. If a person buys whatever products are openly available for everyone else who decide to blow their money on hookers instead of TP...when there's no TP, that "hoarder" is simply a good investor and will get a decent return on their own investments.

Now, if you're talking about a hoarding disorder, that mental issue can become a public nuisance which violates other public, housing, or city codes.  That's usually reserved for the cat or chicken lady hoarder in the neighborhood...that shit just isn't healthy.

ROCK6

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

There are no laws against "hoarding". There is a federal statute against hoarding supplies specifically identified during an emergency as scare FOR the benefit of profit. I still don't like that law, but if bottled water was a scarce supply during an emergency and you have a warehouse full of it planning to sell it at $20 a bottle is less about a legal debate and more about an ethical and moral debate.  

That case, if I recall, was less about hoarding and more about price-gouging by buying up all the supply in the immediate affected area and then selling them at an outrageous price. That's different than the guy who purchased several generators in a region that had more supply than demand, and then transported and offered them in the region with high demand and no supply...that's how a free market addresses a need (for a profit) that the industry or government can't do fast enough.

Quoted:
Should anti hording laws exist?

Nope, no reason to have any. The biggest problem with hoarding laws is that bureaucrats will define and regulate with extreme bias, subjectivity, and inconsistency. Stupid laws and regulations turn bureaucrats into mini tyrants.

Quoted:
Is hording wrong?

Nope. If a person buys whatever products are openly available for everyone else who decide to blow their money on hookers instead of TP...when there's no TP, that "hoarder" is simply a good investor and will get a decent return on their own investments.

Now, if you're talking about a hoarding disorder, that mental issue can become a public nuisance which violates other public, housing, or city codes.  That's usually reserved for the cat or chicken lady hoarder in the neighborhood...that shit just isn't healthy.

ROCK6

^^ Excellent summary^^
  /thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Why not an Anti-dog-eat-dog rule too while we're at it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
OP wants to hoard women's votes or something.

I've been here a lot less time than OP and I know how the majority of ArfCom feels about this topic. It's like these threads are made to get positive reinforcement and ArfCom internet points.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are federal anti hoarding laws.  I guarantee it won’t matter when you bought the item, or if your planning to resell at a profit or not, they discover you have a truck load of x, y, or z, they will swoop in and steal it, big photo op of them handing it out to some “ deserving person “.

https://legalbeagle.com/7640872-federal-antihoarding-law.html
View Quote

Devil's in the details, but any "law" is just permission to "bend the law", so I agree that when it does happen, the intent of the law will be ignored.  

50 U.S.C. § 4512. Hoarding of designated scarce materials is tied the Defensive Production Act (DPA).  The hoarding provision under the DPA has never meaningfully been litigated, we don’t know for sure what its limits are, or even if it would stand up in court as a criminal offense.

This was addressed by the former swamp-critter AG Barr, saying

The DOJ “isn’t interested in “consumers or businesses stockpiling supplies for their own operations, prosecutors are concerned instead about “people hoarding these goods and materials on an industrial scale for the purpose of manipulating the market and ultimately deriving windfall profits.”

Again, it’s not an issue until it is, but that “Anti-Hoarding” provision wasn’t meant for your food stocks or your personal collection of beanie babies that the President deems scarce and essential for our National Defense, listing those materials in the DPA under emergency conditions.

I do, however, believe it will eventually be used outside the parameters of the DPA, the courts won’t take any law suites, and local-level bureaucrats will expeditiously take liberties on how enforcement will be defined. For this government, it’s only unconstitutional if the SCOTUS opines, and even if they do disagree, no local, state, or federal agency is willing to stop unconstitutional actions by the executive branch when the legislative branch bickers about pay raises or mean Tweets, and the media ignores any stories about tyrannical violations of Constitutional Rights...

Yeah, "hoarding" for personal reasons is not illegal, or likely to be enforced....yet...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anti hording laws are real, gov will absolutely come and steal your food and other supplies if they deem your * hording " and effecting the supply for others. Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

Should anti hording laws exist ?

Is hording wrong ?

I personally think that if the products were purchased during " times of plenty " when no shortages existed, then your not hording, and should be exemt from such laws if a shortage develops yeRs later for something. For example, you bought 500 gallons of hand sanitizer in 2015..... and hen in 2020 theres a shortage, etc. Thats much different than buying up stock from a dozen grocery stores  mid shortage.
View Quote

Threads everywhere .  You are on a roll
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a planner. Not sure what all this hoarding talk is about.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anti hording laws are real, gov will absolutely come and steal your food and other supplies if they deem your * hording " and effecting the supply for others. Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

Is hording wrong ?

I personally think that if the products were purchased during " times of plenty " when no shortages existed, then your not hording, and should be exemt from such laws if a shortage develops yeRs later for something. For example, you bought 500 gallons of hand sanitizer in 2015..... and hen in 2020 theres a shortage, etc. Thats much different than buying up stock from a dozen grocery stores  mid shortage.
View Quote

I think there is an immoral aspect to it if you are intentionally taking more than you need of a necessity to create or
Exacerbate shortages so you can capitalize off of them.

But I don’t think it should be illegal. Primarily because proving that sort of intention is nigh impossible. It’s human nature to try to hoard necessities in times of scarcity simply based on fear of running out yourself. Not to mention how one would even define what constitutes a necessity or enough of it in a way that could differentiate between panic buying and immoral hoarding.

Ultimately, I think retailers limiting sales quantities per customer is probably the way it should be handled. The stores gets to say what’s what with the goods they own and the consumer can reward or punish the retailer with future business if the customer wants to do so.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
BuckDelta19 - your suggestion raises the issue of central control, planning and rationing.  Go back to bed and please rethink it.  You can do better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Some is pretty bored today, but no.

People should have more foresight than they do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
anti hoarding like a limit on cans of soup you can have? no

anti hoarding like you have to clean your property when the trash you hoard brings in rats and impacts your neighbors. yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote
Yep, there definitely should be anti-hording laws enacted.

I mean, who wouldn't want another Mongolian Horde pre-emptively stopped?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yep, there definitely should be anti-hording laws enacted.

I mean, who wouldn't want another Mongolian Horde pre-emptively stopped?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#34]
The government is willing to send people to kill you and confiscate your possessions.

The only question is how difficult will you make it for them?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote
I've been hoarding cash now for about 30 years, should the government come and take it? I know that talk has been about taking it because others haven't saved for their own retirement so "they" want to make sure everyone has a equal footing. so redistribution is the plan.

I can eat all of my candy now or eat a little bit at a time to make it last longer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#37]
The Great Khan Dook Wane approves of this image.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote

Just understand that Hording laws will be written in a way that covers YOU and the supplies YOU put back for emergencies...... From Each According To His Ability To Each According To His Need, Comrade.

Be careful what you ask for-any government powerful enough to give you everything you ask for is also strong enough to take everything you have.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Someone must be “hording” all of the a’s in Kentucky.
View Quote

THANK you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#40]
No. Who, other than yourself, determines how much of anything that you should have? Nobody including Governments have a Right to determine what or how much of something that you have.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top