Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/10/2022 10:00:56 AM EDT
Anti hording laws are real, gov will absolutely come and steal your food and other supplies if they deem your * hording " and effecting the supply for others. Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

Should anti hording laws exist ?

Is hording wrong ?

I personally think that if the products were purchased during " times of plenty " when no shortages existed, then your not hording, and should be exemt from such laws if a shortage develops yeRs later for something. For example, you bought 500 gallons of hand sanitizer in 2015..... and hen in 2020 theres a shortage, etc. Thats much different than buying up stock from a dozen grocery stores  mid shortage.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
anti hoarding like a limit on cans of soup you can have? no

anti hoarding like you have to clean your property when the trash you hoard brings in rats and impacts your neighbors. yes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
No. Next thread.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t care when the products were purchased. If they were purchased and not stolen it’s nobody’s business what the supply situation is at the time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
For your next thread, do price gouging.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Two statist threads in a row.

Glowing.

How was Chicago this weekend?

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I personally think that if the products were purchased during " times of plenty " when no shortages existed, then your not hording, and should be exemt from such laws if a shortage develops yeRs later for something. For example, you bought 500 gallons of hand sanitizer in 2015..... and hen in 2020 theres a shortage, etc. Thats much different than buying up stock from a dozen grocery stores  mid shortage.
View Quote

The free-market solution is to raise the price to discourage hoarding/wasteful use and encourage retailers to find alternative sources to keep the shelves stocked.

... of course some people would call that "price-gouging".  So I guess it's better that we just have more laws and pay people to enforce those laws.  Regulation and burning through tax revenue, that's how we solve supply chain issues.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For your next thread, do price gouging.
View Quote

Or don’t
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#9]
We need less government not more
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You're a hoarder.

I'm just preparing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anti hording laws are real, gov will absolutely come and steam your food and other supplies if they deem your * hording " and effecting the supply for others. Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote

"Hoarding", like "gouging", is a useful term to alert the hearer that the person speaking should not be listened to, but go on the list of people who cannot be trusted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No. Next thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Hoarding", like "gouging", is a useful term to alert the hearer that the person speaking should not be listened to, but go on the list of people who cannot be trusted.
View Quote

Meh. They are true behaviors that exist in a capitalist system. It's the people that want those behaviors banned that are the problem. I enjoy being able to locate scarce products and willingly pay inflated prices for them. I would not like it if artificial price ceilings made the items unavailable at any cost.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Only a filthy communist would support a government that controls what its citizens own.

I will but what, and as much of it, as I desire.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the last paragraph in OP.

If you purchase a lot of something in a time of plenty, you are supporting the manufacturer of the product.  If there's excess supply of something on the market, prices collapse and the manufacturer stops making a profit.  The manufacturer either reduces manufacturing capacity for the product (lays people off, sells factory equipment, etc.) or they go out of business.  Going out of business or reducing manufacturing capacity leads to future shortages in the next cycle.

Summary: Anti-stockpiling laws in a time of plenty lead to future shortages.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone must be “hording” all of the a’s in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely.  The govt should definitely be able to limit the number of guns, mags and ammo you purchase.  Could be enforced through warrantless spot checks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck that.

We used to teach children that if you didn't prepare for hard times you would starve.
Silly Symphony The Grasshopper And The Ants

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No. Next thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]
For OP’s next trick, he’ll advocate for compulsory vax
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're a hoarder.

I'm just preparing.
View Quote

I got called a hoarder back in the beginning of the COVID by some members here. I saw the potential for the pandemic to go sideways real quick. Even though the wife and I usually do a big trip to Costco in January each year to stock up on meat for the year, we did another trip in March 2020 and doubled our stock. We even bought another deep freeze to fill up on that trip. We currently have more than a year supply of meat and we're currently considering purchasing another deep freeze and fridge. We're stocked DEEP on canned goods, freeze dried stuff, and I have total of 20 cases of MREs stored up. Would all that still be considered hoarding?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're a hoarder.

I'm just preparing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

anti hoarding like you have to clean your property when the trash you hoard brings in rats and impacts your neighbors. yes.
View Quote

This. We had a mentally ill guy in town who would bring ANYTHING home, including animals. Every house around his had a rat/mouse infestation. Code enforcement wore those white jump suits when they went to his house. Within minutes their legs were covered with hundreds of fleas. I'm generally not a fan of government telling someone what they can and can't do on their own property, but his problems became the neighborhood's problems.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don’t care when the products were purchased. If they were purchased and not stolen it’s nobody’s business what the supply situation is at the time.
View Quote

What he said...
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We need less government not more
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck that.

We used to teach children that if you didn't prepare for hard times you would starve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvr6JsNOF8
View Quote

dats wacist'!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. Next thread.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anti hording laws are real, gov will absolutely come and steam your food and other supplies if they deem your * hording " and effecting the supply for others. Plenty of historical cases of that, some this century, hell one was last year when gov swooped in and seized a guys hand sanitizer stock pile.

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote

You like to get up in other peoples business

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes.
Maybe after they arrest my wife, she’d stop buying useless crap

Example- Got 2 dozen small plastic trays in the mail yesterday.
“WTH now?”
“I’m going to make frozen dinners”
“We can buy frozen dinners for a dollar. Plus, there’s no room in the cabinets as it is now nor the freezer space”
“Don’t worry about it”

(This is every day)
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#31]
People who hoarded products that I need, before I knew I needed them, are smarter than me.

People who price gouge the truly needy are assholes.  Total... assholes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#32]
No.

Next question.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Two statist threads in a row.

Glowing.

How was Chicago this weekend?

View Quote

If you think he is a statists then you aren't paying attention to all of his threads. (ETA: though he does support more government that I would)

He is making people think about where we are as a country by posing controversial topics and they are controversial as you see the dissent even on this forum.

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People who hoarded products that I need, before I knew I needed them, are smarter than me.

View Quote
This. I don't have a problem with prepping.
Retail arbitrage should be punishable by flogging, not by the government, but by the people you're trying to fuck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No. Next thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#36]
None of the ph**king dawt.gub bizness how you spend yore ducats.

Stop watching the MSM.

The purpose of all the discussion about hoarding is to allow for the seizure of private property.  If someone had the wisdom to buy food instead of stupid sh*t like expensive watches, rims, fancy clothes and the people who bought expensive watches, rims, fancy clothes are now starving, tough sh*t for them.  They had all the same chances to buy food but wasted it on stupid sh*t.  It's like the childhood story about the Little Red Hen that was wise enough to plant a garden and all the other animals were too lazy to do their own.

Pre-WW II one fellow bought all the rubber tires he could find.  He knew there would be a war coming and that there would be a tire shortage. He filled a warehouse and people thought he was nuts.  WW II came and he made a fortune. Should he have been punished?

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#37]
No. People should be able to buy and barter for whatever they wish with zero government interference.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Are there actual laws or does the gov just make shit up as they go?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Law should be based on how much human or animal feces is embedded in the carpet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Define price gouging and truly needy.

If I believe I'm truly needy of your property and you believe your property is worth more than I can afford, does that make you the asshole?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#41]
ARFcom:  there’s no such thing as hoarding

also ARFcom: that fuckin’ Ruben Mendiola!

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is hording wrong ?

View Quote

No.

And no.

Taking someone's bought-and-paid-for-and-not-stolen property because you think he has too much is communism, and communism is always wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Hoarding like why do you need more than one rifle? Why do you need more than one box of ammo?
No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Fuck no!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#45]
No, so long as the items were purchased over time or in times of plenty, so as not to disrupt the supply and impacting others.
Otherwise people not having the supplies they need when SHTF, is simply nature culling the herd of the unintelligent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Normally, when the words "hoarding" and the ever popular "fair share" are thrown around, it'll be some punk in a 3 piece suit who's never had a real job in his life.

But he works for the gov at one level or another, and he wants what you worked hard to obtain.

Whenever I hear "fair share" I make sure my wallet is still in my pocket.

The old saying is "Lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Martin Shkreli

Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This. We had a mentally ill guy in town who would bring ANYTHING home, including animals. Every house around his had a rat/mouse infestation. Code enforcement wore those white jump suits when they went to his house. Within minutes their legs were covered with hundreds of fleas. I'm generally not a fan of government telling someone what they can and can't do on their own property, but his problems became the neighborhood's problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rather than involve the man, just make “it was a hoarder house (or car)” valid defense against arson charges.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Anything I didn't prepare for that you did prepare for, I demand the government take your things by force and give them to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I wish I had saved the link

The gubment used to recommend that everyone have 24 hours of supplies on hand.  A couple years ago one of the .gov agencies put out a brochure and raised that time frame to 2 weeks.  It was a fairly detailed brochure explaining why you should have 2 weeks of supplies on hand and that in a major disaster they explained who would take priority on having services turned back on.
There was a section that discussed mass migration of people from populated areas and how it wasn't a good thing, hence the reason to have 2 weeks supplies in order to prevent people from clogging the roads and taking over smaller communities.
The section that really caught my attention was a form in the back with an online option to inventory any supplies you might have so .gov knew about it and could call on those people for help in a crisis.
I posted the form in one of the survival forums but cant find it now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top