Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 35
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not claiming pg. 4 ownership, but I have to ask this question.

Has anyone at Chevrolet put a little humor in the body and stamped into the metal "If you can read this, you have gone too far"?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Can't be stuck if it's liquid!  

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
This is probably my favorite tool I've bought in a long time

Attachment Attached File

Also the kids are ready...

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]

I've got a squarebody in progress and the cowl/firewall is just full of rot due to a combination of poor design and old cracking seam sealer.  I'm pretty close to just deciding to just cut it all out and shave it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Whole front clip is gone.  Time to tear into the engine.  Pretty sure the oil leak is the typical oops on a 4 piece pan gasket where it hits the timing cover.

Attachment Attached File

Also confused why the balancer bolt won't go in

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut out the cab/firewall rot.

Attachment Attached File

Front end gone

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Very very very fucking frustrating weekend.  I'm trying like hell to flux weld body panels and God damn it's a joke

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've skinned those knuckles plenty of times.  Thanks for the flashbacks OP.  I'll just tag this thread and enjoy watching.

My only advice:  You're doing great!  Take your time.  Do it right while it's apart.  You will love her when she's finished.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Brownie63:
I've skinned those knuckles plenty of times.  Thanks for the flashbacks OP.  I'll just tag this thread and enjoy watching.

My only advice:  You're doing great!  Take your time.  Do it right while it's apart.  You will love her when she's finished.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Very very very fucking frustrating weekend.  I'm trying like hell to flux weld body panels and God damn it's a joke

View Quote

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the flux core wire. The investment in Shielding gas and regulator pays you back in the time lost and frustration you have now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By slows2k:

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the flux core wire. The investment in Shielding gas and regulator pays you back in the time lost and frustration you have now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hes right, look on CL or Marketplace and you can probably find an older 110 Hobart Handler for $350 or so.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
OST and SDMF
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FJB247:

Hes right, look on CL or Marketplace and you can probably find an older 110 Hobart Handler for $350 or so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FJB247:

This.
Go to Harbor Frieght and get one of the Titatnium MIG welders and a bottle of Co2 (if you are cheap) or 75/25 from your local welding supply.
Use .025 wire. You will get much better welds than fluxcore and no slag.  

THIS:
https://www.harborfreight.com/mig-140-professional-welder-with-120v-input-64804.html

Or better yet (this is the one I have):
https://www.harborfreight.com/mig-170-professional-welder-with-120240v-input-64805.html

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pv74] [#16]
Whole front clip is gone.  Time to tear into the engine.  Pretty sure the oil leak is the typical oops on a 4 piece pan gasket where it hits the timing cover.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20220204_162931_HDR_jpg-2267513.JPG

Also confused why the balancer bolt won't go in
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/IMG_20220204_163748_01_jpg-2267514.JPG
View Quote

Some of the early small blocks were a press on fit only for the balancer.
The 307 that I have in my '68 has a press on balancer with no center bolt.
I believe the 327 was the same way. The factory service manual has a procedure for tapping it on to install it.
Not sure what the deal is for '72...threads could also be stripped out.

My 307 also has a filter adapter for a ford style (FL1A/PH8A filter). The original filter was a cartridge type).

The rot in the bottom of the side air boxes is very common...also the cause of rot in the bottom of the A pillar.
I got lucky, but my A pillars were rotten and I ended up replacing both.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Adding to the frustration... Put in new cab mount bushings and the cab is an inch lower than the bed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Seriously.. I'm on my third set of fucking brand new cab mounts.  They're all different heights from brand to brand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Switched flux wire.  Turns out what I was using was beyond garbage.  I was scared I lost my touch
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 3:27:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pv74] [#20]
Seriously.. I'm on my third set of fucking brand new cab mounts.  They're all different heights from brand to brand.
View Quote

Damn... I'm hoping I don't run into that issue...haven't put my cab back on yet.  
I wonder if you could shim them with washers?

Here's a thread about it...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=498129
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#21]
It seems like I've seen a lot of issues with getting things lined up after replacing the mounts over the years on the truck forums. From what I can tell the poly ones tend to be shorter than stock but rubber ones are no guarantee either. There are a few variations between the models and I have a feeling the aftermarket ones don't account for that. Maybe they just make them short and expect us to shim them. Yours being a C10 shouldn't be any uncommon config though.

I have all new cab/core support mounts sitting in a box in the garage. I'm a little nervous about installing them. I have everything in the front torn apart now, new driveline, springs, steering, exhaust, brakes and fuel system going in so it seems like a good time to swap them out. I guess I should probably measure the installed height of each one of the original ones before I take them out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BASE:
It seems like I've seen a lot of issues with getting things lined up after replacing the mounts over the years on the truck forums. From what I can tell the poly ones tend to be shorter than stock but rubber ones are no guarantee either. There are a few variations between the models and I have a feeling the aftermarket ones don't account for that. Maybe they just make them short and expect us to shim them. Yours being a C10 shouldn't be any uncommon config though.

I have all new cab/core support mounts sitting in a box in the garage. I'm a little nervous about installing them. I have everything in the front torn apart now, new driveline, springs, steering, exhaust, brakes and fuel system going in so it seems like a good time to swap them out. I guess I should probably measure the installed height of each one of the original ones before I take them out.
View Quote

Snap a pic of the core support rubber stack.

If this third set is junk, I'll cut and stack them
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Snap a pic of the core support rubber stack.

If this third set is junk, I'll cut and stack them
View Quote

This is drivers side core mount:
Attachment Attached File

Mine is a ‘68 K10 though, so not sure if they are the same. I know the rear cab mount is all different on the K-series.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Loving this thread.  I can feel the rust and dirt from looking at those pics.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#25]
Originally Posted By wm69:
Loving this thread.  I can feel the rust and dirt from looking at those pics.

View Quote

Haha dude I've been wire wheeling the front frame to pass the time this afternoon.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm knocking off, but it looks like barnacles, is kind of soft, and I can hear it hitting the walls

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol. I think I’m following along just a step or two behind you. I’m not looking forward to that part. I have an old pressure pot sand blaster but I’m not sure I want to do that in the driveway, know I don’t want to do it in the garage. Such a mess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BASE:
Lol. I think I’m following along just a step or two behind you. I’m not looking forward to that part. I have an old pressure pot sand blaster but I’m not sure I want to do that in the driveway, know I don’t want to do it in the garage. Such a mess.
View Quote

I have one too.... I'd rather wire wheel.

Ideally I'd pull the motor, cab, and bed and have it all blasted, but I'm too lazy.  The frame is really really clean from the back to the firewall... Which is where I blasted it up to twenty years ago.

I'm in awe over how much grease is caked on the steering box.  It was so hard that I was practically grinding metal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no idea how that shit forms. I actually used a hammer and chisel/screwdrivers on some of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:33:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#29]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one of those.  The grease concrete stuff just clogs it
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Awesome thread!  Thanks for taking us along!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Definitely get a gas set up for the mig, it's awesome.

Rest looks great.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been slacking on pictures.  I'll try to get some up today.  There's lots going on that I haven't shown.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting ready to tear off the front suspension

This is the barnacle grease concrete rust mess
Attachment Attached File

After a cone wire wheel
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can see I'm cleaning up some areas and painting as I go.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone want to trade me for these skyscraper edelbrock valve covers?  I want low stamped ones.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My '72 C10...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#38]
What was your reasoning for not sandblasting? making a mess? Id get a blast cabinet and start taking everything apart.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
What was your reasoning for not sandblasting? making a mess? Id get a blast cabinet and start taking everything apart.
View Quote

Logistics of taking things apart without a lift, hauling it to the blasters, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Man that reminds me of what this truck looked like when I was little and riding shotgun in it with my pop pop
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#42]
nice work.

would love to have a classic truck
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking real good.  It's like a combination of archeology and wrenchin'. But you're not doing it for a living, so it's fun.    
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Brownie63:
Looking real good.  It's like a combination of archeology and wrenchin'. But you're not doing it for a living, so it's fun.    
View Quote

It is fun.  I love building stuff.  I used to wrench all the time then grew to hate it because it was always unplanned scrambling to fix shit.

I'm a white collar business professional these days.  The looks I've been getting all dressed up but with shredded stained hands has been hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#46]
Everything is kicking my ass today, so here I am

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Everything is kicking my ass today, so here I am

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20220212_140201_2_jpg-2276804.JPG
View Quote

You can rest when you are in the ground.

Get back to it!

It’s good to take a break every once in a while.

Cool thread!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Highlight of the day was heating up mozzarella sticks with a propane torch
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Started ripping into the other side last night

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Highlight of the day was heating up mozzarella sticks with a propane torch
View Quote
Did you remember to remove the plastic first?  
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top