Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/30/2021 4:54:05 AM EDT
Seriously. Get on the mats. You lazy.

Unless you smell of course. Stinky people please stay home.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You buying me dinner first?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t smell!

But I have ringworm!

And untrimmed toenails!

Is that okay?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, I haven't been in a dojo since 2002. The company I worked for would pay us to learn Jui jitsu - along with judo, red man, etc. The best was getting paid to use their gun range (underneath downtown Fort Worth).
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Black Gi.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Somewhat because I don't know of a good instructor in OKC, OK.

Mainly because I am lazy, as referenced above.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Because I'm not a manlet Joe Rogan clone

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I am, it's hard.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

One day you too will be 46 (or 60) and have a 8 day recovery period from injury instead of 2 days.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because I'm not a manlet Joe Rogan clone
View Quote

So jj is for manlets? Lol. The biggest men I've ever met in my life were black belts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Somewhat because I don't know of a good instructor in OKC, OK.

Mainly because I am lazy, as referenced above.  
View Quote
You should just try places. My place has almost no social media presence and looks like a McDojo, but I'm pretty sure it's a front for a secret Brazilian fight club. We get a ton of insane black belts from Brazil visiting often and none of them come up in my internet searches
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So jj is for manlets? Lol. The biggest men I've ever met in my life were black belts.
View Quote

No, I am merely stating my personal understanding

I view it as safe harbor for men well under six feet

Sort of the opposite of basketball. Sure you can find muggsys, but, generally, most people think of it as a tall man's sport
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]
My two torn ACL's preclude any sort of hand-to-hand combat training.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I did but spine (neck) issues prevent me from rolling anymore, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I study the blade
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Everyone serious about self-defense should know how to grapple and strike. The idea a lot of people have that you don't need hand to hand training because you CCW is flawed for a ton of reasons. To begin, in an actual violent attack, there's a good chance you might not have the time or space to draw. It's in situations like this that having grappling training is extremely useful. Also, there's places you can't legally CCW (like airports, sporting events, courthouses, etc.), and if you have no unarmed training, you're basically defenseless there.

I would suggest anyone serious about self-defense do some combination of BJJ/Muay Thai/boxing/wrestling. The arguments lots of people present against grappling training ("What happens when their buddies kick you in the head?") are also really flawed. In grappling, you're not just learning how to take people down, you're also learning takedown defense, how to sweep your opponent/get up quickly or do damage off your back if you wind up there, etc. I would also add that a hard takedown onto concrete will usually end a fight right then and there. Getting slammed onto concrete is a completely different animal than getting slammed onto mats in training.

Once you have a decent grappling foundation, I'd suggest starting to get into stuff like weapon retention, shooting at contact distance with your attacker, etc. A lot of the techniques from BJJ/wrestling are still applicable in a weapons based environment, they just need to be adjusted a bit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One day you too will be 46 (or 60) and have a 8 day recovery period from injury instead of 2 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's lots of older guys who roll consistently.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Because not everyone likes what you like
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because not everyone likes what you like
View Quote
Everyone likes sweaty men cuddling in pajamas. Everyone!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know. I did up until I was 47, after about 9 years on the mat.

Last injury sidelined me from work - used up all of my sick and personal days.

While I enjoy the benefits, I cannot afford the risks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Because I'm broken as fuck and BJJ might actually paralyze me. Plus I dont want some dudes sweaty balls on my face when we eventually go to the ground
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because I'm broken as fuck and BJJ might actually paralyze me. Plus I dont want some dudes sweaty balls on my face when we eventually go to the ground
View Quote

I like your honesty.  Do you have a newsletter?

You should post more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone likes sweaty men cuddling in pajamas. Everyone!
View Quote

I didn't know Seth Rogen had an account here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 3 vertebrae fused and a titanium rod in my back. A fourth vertebra is going. Doctor says falling is a huge no, no. I can't run and can barely walk. The last thing I want is a wheelchair. Jedi mind tricks I have a better chance at learning. Is that a good enough reason for you?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have 3 vertebrae fused and a titanium rod in my back. A fourth vertebra is going. Doctor says falling is a huge no, no. I can't run and can barely walk. The last thing I want is a wheelchair. Jedi mind tricks I have a better chance at learning. Is that a good enough reason for you?
View Quote

I only have two fused, if I start rolling again, it’ll be more.  I hear ya. I walk sideways and with a limp but I don’t scoot like Verbal Kint.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's understandable. I think (or hope) the purpose of this thread was to get people's gears turning about what types of training they engage in. There's a lot of guys out there who think the only training they need is occasionally killing paper at the seven yard line, and they scoff at the idea of doing unarmed training. IMO, that's a mentality which is way too prevalent in the gun community.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm 50 and I'd love to get back out there. Alas, everything below my right knee is paralyzed. Thanks, VA!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

BJJ has taught me that it's not gay if you don't make eye contact.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm 50 and I'd love to get back out there. Alas, everything below my right knee is paralyzed. Thanks, VA!
View Quote

Well that’s good, you won’t feel the heel lock!

Roll on!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back when I was doing jj and judo, we were way too freaking smoked to think about anything queer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well that’s good, you won’t feel the heel lock!
Roll on!
View Quote

Lol - roger that.  At least I can walk through the snow with only one boot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Back when I was doing jj and judo, we were way too freaking smoked to think about anything queer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, trust me, I'm aware. Rolling smokes my cardio like few other things do. That post was a joke.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd be willing to try it if there was a good dojo nearby. Although (I hesitate to speak negatively of something I haven't given a fair shot) it seems limited by itself.

In the meantime, I really like the strikes and methodology of movement of Systema (which I also under-estimated until I gave it a try).

Although it's not as practical as Systema on it's own, I also really like Hakko-ryu Jujutsu, and the two go together well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd be willing to try it if there was a good dojo nearby. Although (I hesitate to speak negatively of something I haven't given a fair shot) it seems limited by itself.

In the meantime, I really like the strikes and methodology of movement of Systema (which I also under-estimated until I gave it a try).

Although it's not as practical as Systema on it's own, I also really like Hakko-ryu Jujutsu, and the two go together well.
View Quote

BJJ is a great skill to have, but it shouldn't be relied on by itself. It needs to be paired with boxing or Muay Thai, and maybe wrestling if your gym doesn't place enough emphasis on takedowns.

My main issues with Systema is what I have with a lot of martial arts. Namely, it appears to be largely theory based and have little actual pressure testing, which is how you actually figure out what works and what doesn't. I haven't seen videos of Systema guys sparring at high intensities with a limited ruleset, which is the only way you can really understand what an actual fight is like. Martial arts that lack pressure testing and hard sparring almost always crumple in the real world.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm a lover not a fighter.

If hip thrusts were a combat maneuver, i'd be in the special forces.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I tried everything with my son to get him to play sports with other kids.  Loves every sport, but the unorganized craziness of youth sports at his age, 4, scared the crap out of him.  First lesson of Jiujitsu he started crying and wouldn't go, second session was decent, and then soon as he got his gi he turned the corner.  Now he gets upset if he misses a class.  Loves it.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm a lover not a fighter.
View Quote

Aspire to be a loving fighter
Perfect that grip, make it tighter
Roll to the left, shrimp to the right
Subdural hematomas are out of sight!

Sorry, it’s late, that’s all I got.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I only have two fused, if I start rolling again, it’ll be more.  I hear ya. I walk sideways and with a limp but I don’t scoot like Verbal Kint.

View Quote

People underestimate degenerative bone disease. I understand. I look normal. I had to retire early and the last ten years have been hell. The nerve damage the disease caused has also led to a hip replacement and a foot that doesn't work normally. I was hoping at 70 I'd be doing all kinds of things and going places but that isn't reality. I love to shoot. Getting down prone is slow and painful but getting up is a real bitch. I can't take pain meds so I make do with what I can.

We have to make do. Rolling is like being a human rolling pin. Something is getting ground and crushed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#38]
But I have gunz.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I’m too busy taking care of my pet rock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’m too busy taking care of my pet rock.
View Quote

A "rolling" stone gathers no moss.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I can barely get onto the couch after work lately.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People underestimate degenerative bone disease. I understand. I look normal. I had to retire early and the last ten years have been hell. The nerve damage the disease caused has also led to a hip replacement and a foot that doesn't work normally. I was hoping at 70 I'd be doing all kinds of things and going places but that isn't reality. I love to shoot. Getting down prone is slow and painful but getting up is a real bitch. I can't take pain meds so I make do with what I can.

We have to make do. Rolling is like being a human rolling pin. Something is getting ground and crushed.
View Quote

Gravity seems to pull harder than I remember. Getting up from the ground and I hear gravel in my neck.  No way would I want to endure torquing and twisting with another human, it’s  painful to even think about.

Have you had any recent ESI’s?  My first injection didn’t really have an impact but the second one helped a lot!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I have weak ankles from effing them up several times during my MX days. I don't think there's any way they would survive BJJ.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everyone serious about self-defense should know how to grapple and strike. The idea a lot of people have that you don't need hand to hand training because you CCW is flawed for a ton of reasons. To begin, in an actual violent attack, there's a good chance you might not have the time or space to draw. It's in situations like this that having grappling training is extremely useful. Also, there's places you can't legally CCW (like airports, sporting events, courthouses, etc.), and if you have no unarmed training, you're basically defenseless there.

I would suggest anyone serious about self-defense do some combination of BJJ/Muay Thai/boxing/wrestling. The arguments lots of people present against grappling training ("What happens when their buddies kick you in the head?") are also really flawed. In grappling, you're not just learning how to take people down, you're also learning takedown defense, how to sweep your opponent/get up quickly or do damage off your back if you wind up there, etc. I would also add that a hard takedown onto concrete will usually end a fight right then and there. Getting slammed onto concrete is a completely different animal than getting slammed onto mats in training.

Once you have a decent grappling foundation, I'd suggest starting to get into stuff like weapon retention, shooting at contact distance with your attacker, etc. A lot of the techniques from BJJ/wrestling are still applicable in a weapons based environment, they just need to be adjusted a bit.
View Quote
This! I've shifted to knife based art as I have gotten older. All tools in the tool box.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sort of the opposite of basketball. Sure you can find muggsys, but, generally, most people think of it as a tall man's sport
View Quote

I wish that was the case for me, and add 140 lbs to that.  At 6 foot 210lbs I get thrown around and there are a lot of people I just flat out refuse to roll with.... but there are always those scared to get on the mats saying it's all men hugging amd gay etc, I hear it every time it gets brought up at work by people who haven't been in a physical altercation in 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I wish that was the case for me, and add 140 lbs to that.  At 6 foot 210lbs I get thrown around and there are a lot of people I just flat out refuse to roll with.... but there are always those scared to get on the mats saying it's all men hugging amd gay etc, I hear it every time it gets brought up at work by people who haven't been in a physical altercation in 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My biggest hang up for going to the gym to learn was a guy I used to work with, he would roll two nights a week.

He always had mat burns on his face, back, arms, and like half the time they got infected. The dude was always oozing.

He would say "Come roll with me tonight man" after laying block for 10 hours.

No thanks, I'm sore and sun burned, I don't want an infection to go along with it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gravity seems to pull harder than I remember. Getting up from the ground and I hear gravel in my neck.  No way would I want to endure torquing and twisting with another human, it’s  painful to even think about.

Have you had any recent ESI’s?  My first injection didn’t really have an impact but the second one helped a lot!
View Quote

I had quarterly injections that were great up until a year ago I could do a lot of things, but falling was still out of the question, of course. Since last Dec. I've had two heart procedures and the doctor forbid the shots as they affect the heart. Now I'm forced to live with lots of pain. Can't take anything stronger than Alive. I save that for the really bad days to protect the kidneys. There is a dry needle procedure I took in physical therapy that was great but the effect only lasted 4-7 days. At $40 a jab it adds up.

My one son was a hand-to-hand combat instructor in the Army. He's in full-time NG. We talked about him doing some training with me just to work out. He refused, saying it wouldn't take much to make me a permanent human pretzel. lol
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My biggest hang up for going to the gym to learn was a guy I used to work with, he would roll two nights a week.

He always had mat burns on his face, back, arms, and like half the time they got infected. The dude was always oozing.

He would say "Come roll with me tonight man" after laying block for 10 hours.

No thanks, I'm sore and sun burned, I don't want an infection to go along with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I have learned enough grappling to have been able to successfully apply it in real life several times.  For most people interested in self defense, just the very basics of BJJ is enough, unless you want to fight in competitions or MMA matches.  

I will stick with Aikido, it fits what I want out of training better and I will be able to practice it much longer in life.  

Most important skill to have for defense in my opinion is mindset.  A black belt in any martial art that is a pussy is going to get smoked 9 times out of 10 by someone that is in ok shape, is very aggressive, and has the will to attack first and keep attacking until the black belt is overwhelmed.  That attacking first thing will help overcome even non-pussies as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have weak ankles from effing them up several times during my MX days. I don't think there's any way they would survive BJJ.
View Quote

“Hey do mind not foot locking me? My ankles are kinda fucked up”.

“No problem man let’s roll”.

Easy peasy dude.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top