Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5582
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 10/27/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer]
It says it's been moved, but the link just takes me to the Community page. What gives?

This is now the active "shit (might be) is definitely happening in Ukraine" thread.

News links, thanks to BerettaGuy:
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:
LINKS TO UKRAINIAN NEWS SOURCES IN ENGLISH

Kyiv Post

Ukrainian News

UKRInform

EUROMAIDEN PRESS

New Voice of Ukraine

Kyiv Independent

Ukraine World

InterFax Ukraine

UATV

Ukrainian Journal

Official Website of the President of Ukraine

Ukrainian Ministry of Defense

Save these links. I can't post all the headlines like I've done in the past - too much news and too often.
View Quote

Please @ me with additional stuff to be added here. I don't currently have time to properly curate this thread otherwise.

New news link c/o berettaguy:

Ukrainian Pravda
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Stop fake, anti - disinformation site:
https://www.stopfake.org/en/main/
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
I want Ukraine to win this. I want Russia to get spanked *hard* . . .

But just watching average Joes dying in a muddy hole is hard.  They are just men that in many cases got tossed into a woodchipper by a dictator.  

Seeing things like this make me want to go with the Curtis LeMay methodology.  Make war as horrible and brutal as possible to get it over with faster.  The faster we equip Ukraine to win, the fewer deaths that will occur in the long run on both sides.

View Quote

Sadly I think Russia can go for awhile longer before casualties overload their whole system.

But yeah... it's like that old Korea war saying. Where the winner will be decided by how many of their own lives the enemy can afford to expend versus how much ordnance the West can expend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Those in charge of Western countries dont want to win it..yet... they want to kill Russians.  That ideology is all together more dangerous because it allows for the opportunity for things to get out of hand.
View Quote

I don't think anyone, anywhere just wants to rack up a body count.  This is an oversimplification.  The sad truth of the matter is that we in the west DO live in democracies and there is an uncomfortable intersection of what is correct, and what is possible.  Rushing all-in in February might have resulted in less bloodshed over the long-term.  But that was both unclear at the time, and simply impossible.  It would never, ever become possible without a reasonable facsimile of consensus by the populations of NATO countries.  We *might* be getting there soon.  

Fortunately, we are getting there and hopefully we will get a "new '91."  A chance to engage Russia to shed it's toxic leadership dynamic and join a better world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a lawn mower.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HIPPO:
View Quote

Lol. I was wondering about that guy yesterday when I saw that Fat Leonard was arrested in Venezuela, trying to get to Russia.

If Russia loses this war and has to answer for everything, extraditing all the criminals it hides might be a part of the future.  And with Russia gone, where do these foul creatures then go to hide?  North Korea? Even Cuba won't put up with that any more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Hard to believe they'd be out in the field so quick.
They downed two yesterday, so whatever they're doing they're getting better at it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

I heard the other day Israelbwas supplying Ukraine with anti-drone tech.

Hard to believe they'd be out in the field so quick.
They downed two yesterday, so whatever they're doing they're getting better at it.

Anti drone tech from the US and Israel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

That would be funny
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

I think I saw a body fall too
View Quote

I thought that too. Is it one of those RU helo's that can carry troops? There was shit going off and falling off all over so who knows. They are very lucky to have landed wheels down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By atavistic:

Ruskies have held the line at Lyman for quite some time, which makes me think that's some of their better troops & equipment.

At they are about to get smoked.
View Quote

It could also be some natural geography that makes defense easier. I have no idea.

I'd very much like to see a few thousand RU POW's.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

I'd be in for some too if you're placing an order...
View Quote
I've found St Javelin in the US but it looks sold out at the moment.  Might be a distributor that I missed that has it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Haub:

Ukraine does have a Navy. However, their fleet is almost non-existent in size. Mainly patrol boats and other small vessels now, until other larger ships arrive.

View Quote

Most of what they did have was lost when Crimea was invaded/taken over. Turkey is building them a frigate I saw in the news.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]

But just watching average Joes dying in a muddy hole is hard.  They are just men that in many cases got tossed into a woodchipper by a dictator.  

Seeing things like this make me want to go with the Curtis LeMay methodology.  Make war as horrible and brutal as possible to get it over with faster.  The faster we equip Ukraine to win, the fewer deaths that will occur in the long run on both sides.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Drone hit on two sleeping Russians.  Russian soldiers, just go home.  Nothing in Ukraine is worth dying like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xla0hn/accurate_grenade_drop_on_two_sleeping_russian/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I think one can believe the Russian invasion is barbaric, unjust, and evil, and at the same time feel sympathy for most of the average joes in the shit.  I have often prayed for God to deliver victory to the Ukrainians, but also forgiveness for the sins of the Russians.  Never one without the other.
Videos like this only increase the absolute contempt and disgust I have for Russian leadership and propagandists.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]

I think one can believe the Russian invasion is barbaric, unjust, and evil, and at the same time feel sympathy for most of the average joes in the shit.  I have often prayed for God to deliver victory to the Ukrainians, but also forgiveness for the sins of the Russians.  Never one without the other.
Videos like this only increase the absolute contempt and disgust I have for Russian leadership and propagandists.
View All Quotes
Drone hit on two sleeping Russians.  Russian soldiers, just go home.  Nothing in Ukraine is worth dying like this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xla0hn/accurate_grenade_drop_on_two_sleeping_russian/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

+1 Same prayers each day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
How far back will Russia get pushed if Lyman falls?

Let alone the loss of troops / equipment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It could also be some natural geography that makes defense easier. I have no idea.

View All Quotes

Ruskies have held the line at Lyman for quite some time, which makes me think that's some of their better troops & equipment.

At they are about to get smoked.

Or Ukraine just wasn't pushing hard for a bit, while they secured and established themselves along the new front.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]

War is some fucked up shit. It's crazy the effort we pour into killing each other.
View Quote

It is! And sad. As much as I like seeing orcs get blasted and Russia stronk get kicked in the ass, I'd still much rather non of this shit ever happened.

There will be young drone aces with more confirmed kills (on video) than hot shot pilots of wars past. It's all crazy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Totalitarian regimes need to keep militaries week so they aren’t a threat to them…or anyone else.
View Quote

Very true. There were numerous Soviet officers and generals get sacked because they were too good, became popular, and a threat to some Commissar or Stalin. Talk about the anti-meritocracy. (US is heading in this direction fast!)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

How the HELL is that one guy still alive?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

France and Ukraine working on more CAESARs:

https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/eng/news/2022/09/22/7147313/

How the HELL is that one guy still alive?

Short term it's astounding what people can survive.

Also explosive fragmentation is weird like that. Stories of folks damn near vaporized from mortar hits and the guy standing a foot or two away untouched.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like a lawn mower.

View Quote

No surprise. It's got a crude dual-inline single cylinder (2x total) engine that looks like two 1960s Rotax 247s welded together.

There was a better pic of the wrecked engine earlier, this is the best I can find at the moment.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Drone view of a GMLRS hit on small ammo dump - good view of the frag pattern and how devastating these are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xl2sjb/aerial_view_of_the_impact_moment_of_two_m31a1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
View Quote

Mother of God.

I would really hate to be anywhere near the receiving end of that. That is an otherworldly level of consistent fragmentation. That's one hell of a circle of death.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By klinc:

Do they get counted KIA a second time?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By klinc:

Do they get counted KIA a second time?

Families get twice the payment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#26]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Mother of God.

I would really hate to be anywhere near the receiving end of that. That is an otherworldly level of consistent fragmentation. That's one hell of a circle of death.
View All Quotes
Drone view of a GMLRS hit on small ammo dump - good view of the frag pattern and how devastating these are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/xl2sjb/aerial_view_of_the_impact_moment_of_two_m31a1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Mother of God.

They go off about 30ft above you, test footage of what that looked like to the Grad crew.
40 seconds in is the closest footage.
GMLRS Alternative Warhead Engineer & Manufacturing Development Phase Test & Evaluation
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If Russia is really willing to throw a million dudes into this fight...even if they are poorly trained, poorly equipped and lack motivation, it will still be a million dudes. Can Ukraine hold out against these sort of numbers?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

People making excuses about them and Putler need to always understand that THEY HAVE CHOICES.

Someday, I am going to do a video interview with my neighbor who is ex Soviet army from a region in the USSR where they have a Finno Ugric tribe that is cousins to Hungarians.

He was in Afghanistan and after 3 months he said FUCK THIS SHIT and took off.

Ended up in Hungary and has been here ever since.

What is my point.. you have a choice....you have options......

this man walked all the way from Afghanistan to Hungary somehow during the Commie times and got away with it.

He told me, everyone just ASSUMED he was on leave...and nobody checked if he was a deserter.

Same for entering Hungary.

YOU HAVE A CHOICE.. you can walk away from it...
View Quote

I disagree. In reality we have very little choice in where we are born, our culture, our leaders, or the manner of our death.

Usually, by the time you realize that you were wrong about important decisions in your life and dont like where you're at, its too late.

I'm not saying those RU guys are some innocent victims. Just that they got fucked WAY sooner than when they walked into a recruiting center.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
If Russia is really willing to throw a million dudes into this fight...even if they are poorly trained, poorly equipped and lack motivation, it will still be a million dudes. Can Ukraine hold out against these sort of numbers?
View Quote

Yeah. Honestly, artillery doesn't care about numbers. Whether there's no-one in the kill box, 1 dude in the kill box, or 1000 dudes in the kill box, the round goes off all the same.

Admittedly, with 1000 in the kill box, some will be shielded from shrapnel or in the blast shadow of other vaporized dudes, so that's why you send a salvo. Six rounds per gun is usually enough to get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Something to think about

precision artillery from "Lockheed Martin" bears the names and legacies of

Allan Lockheed, John Northrop, Glenn L. Martin

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Yes, because Russia can't do it all at once, they dont have good equipment or know how to use what they have.  Communications are bad and getting worse.  Artillery is getting more accurate on the Ukrainian side with more drones and Intel while Russian artillery is getting worse.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#32]

They go off about 30ft above you, test footage of what that looked like to the Grad crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5h7BkCj5rI
View All Quotes

Mother of God.

As far as I can tell - and I found that video a few minutes ago while digging - the M31A1 is basically a long-range remote shotgun. It's insane. However much that costs per round? It's 100% worth it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

View Quote
Look for P66 route or somewhere around there
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Mother of God.

M30 uses the AW (alternate warhead) which has the embedded tungsten spheres, the M30 has a pre scored warhead case
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]

As far as I can tell - and I found that video a few minutes ago while digging - the M31A1 is basically a long-range remote shotgun. It's insane. However much that costs per round? It's 100% worth it.
View All Quotes

Mother of God.

That is the M30, the M31 has a 200lbs class unitary warhead, while the M30 added tungsten spheres to the case of the warhead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

"Vasily! My leg... it's Gone! Where'd it go!? VASILY!!!"

Man, Russia is finished as a respectable power. They spent more money on their Air Force than Ukraine's entire military budget. Can't get any sort of air superiority or stop Supermarket Drones from dropping improvised grenades on their guys.

I guess they never REALLY recovered after WW2 with losing 30+ million. and they became a super power, but it was more like a horribly mangled and mutant Super power with tons of bad health conditions. Now its really coming apart.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
As long as UKR's ammo holds out.

Ruskies training is 5th grade first aid, make us proud speech, and on the train you go. A percentage of them will not make it off the train alive. It's a Turkey Shoot. They are going to get to the front lines, someone is going to hand them the shittiest Mosin laying around, and say point in that direction. Get your other provisions off those 3 dead conscripts over there. It's like Africa and the Mid East taught Russia how to run a military.

PZ has talked at length the Russia travels exclusively by train military wise. Spoiler: UKR knows where all the train tracks are!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

For the reasons that have been pointed out numerous times, yes.

Make it 10 million and the answer will still be yes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
I'm betting that number is low
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Or Ukraine just wasn't pushing hard for a bit, while they secured and established themselves along the new front.
View Quote

Probably most likely.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

View Quote

Not one inch. As a gesture of goodwill, they will relocate their troops to a more useful area in the battle space. Offerings of dead bodies, ammunition, and equipment will be left behind as a token of the good will.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#43]
View Quote

Absolutely yes.

Combat power is will x skill x numbers and throw in some intangibles like equipment, leadership.

This is 1,000,000 times zero times .1 plus zero.

This will be an utter disaster unless the Russians have 10,000 executioners decimating Russian conscripts; it will still be a disaster if the Ukrainians are smart enough to hand out surrender cards.

When the Russians go full clownshow, its amazing.

Exhibit A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kiev_(1941)

The Battle of Kiev 1941. (Yep, same Kiev)

For every German killed, 60 Russians surrendered.

The massed cannon fodder thing historically doesn't work. There isnt enough honesty in the Russian's system to allow reforms, change, bring combat veterans home and train competent units.  If they could, and did, teh Ukrainians are getting better training and better equipment. And the UA has no alternative.  Which is will.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:

Oh, he meant minimum of 300,000.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Can anyone confirm? But I've seen some videos say "partial" mobilization is a complete farce. The Russians will take as many Russians to Conscription as their military deems necessary. So the 300k Ukraine is just a start.

Oh, he meant minimum of 300,000.

Maybe Putin means 300,000 live conscripts. For example, 100,000 get KIA, so Russia conscripts another 100,000. We keep hearing how Russia can’t logistically handle 1 million conscripts, but maybe they can handle 1 million if they are conscripted in waves.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

The looks on the faces of that young man and who is probably his mother…

The fear on that man’s face… The hot anger coming from mom…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

The looks on the faces of that young man and who is probably his mother…

The fear on that man’s face… The hot anger coming from mom…

Fuck him and his mom.

They were fine with other people dying in the war.

They were fine with the war until it was his turn in the grinder.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#46]
Originally Posted By Jack67: And with Russia gone, where do these foul creatures then go to hide?  North Korea? Even Cuba won't put up with that any more.
View Quote

Really!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:

Someone should sit with those guys and document the defense of Mariupol for prosperity.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
Originally Posted By Alex9661:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Will the Azov commanders return to the field?

It looks like five officers, including the Azov commander and chief of staff, will stay in Turkey till the end of the war.

Someone should sit with those guys and document the defense of Mariupol for prosperity.

That is a series of books I'd gladly buy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#50]

I thought that too. Is it one of those RU helo's that can carry troops? There was shit going off and falling off all over so who knows. They are very lucky to have landed wheels down.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

I think I saw a body fall too

You guys are just seeing pieces of the helo being blown off.

A KA-52 is two seat attack helicopter that has ejection seats that the crew strap into. A hit powerful enough to to cause a crewmember to be ripped out would have caused the helicopter to immediately go down.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5582
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top