Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2021 11:54:59 PM EDT
Maybe found a BMW M2 comp, been looking for awhile.
Or wait for Nissan Z?

I want them both can only have one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I think I would be too. I’d lean towards the M2 though, it just does it for me more. I bet you will be happy with either. Sorry this didn’t help !
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I would be too. I’d lean towards the M2 though, it just does it for me more. I bet you will be happy with either. Sorry this didn’t help !
View Quote

Gimme pros/cons, help me!

I want them both, M2 is out of production, this is last year then I'll never be able to buy a new gas I6 like this. They have the color I want, not sure transmission yet. If it's manual I fear I'll buy it sight unseen.
Have to call them tomorrow to find out details.

I keep telling myself the smarter play is putting an order in with a nissan dealer. Guessing they'll start taking orders in December maybe, delivery probably this time next year?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The new z it’s basically a 370 with more power. i bet it ends up not driving all that great. M2 is a way, way better car. And it will hold its value, Give the Z a couple years and pick one up cheap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Since when is the M2 out of production?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
M2 for sure, I'd like to see what the new Z is really like before bypassing an amazing car like the M2.  Let some other sucker be the beta tester.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You really in Wyoming?  I am.  I have this thing where I love cars that I can't get serviced.  I just bought one today that I'll have to drive 300 miles to visit a dealer.  You should take that into account.  It can be done, but you have to love the car, or you'll be pissed off at it all the time.  

That said, between those two, I'd buy the BMW.  You only live once, and if you hate it, you can always sell it and buy any number of Nissans.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Find a used 911
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You really in Wyoming?  I am.  I have this thing where I love cars that I can't get serviced.  I just bought one today that I'll have to drive 300 miles to visit a dealer.  You should take that into account.  It can be done, but you have to love the car, or you'll be pissed off at it all the time.  

That said, between those two, I'd buy the BMW.  You only live once, and if you hate it, you can always sell it and buy any number of Nissans.  
View Quote

I am, cheyenne, and I know what you mean. I change my own oil and do basic service, had to buy special jack stands... For service, I screwed myself bad on this one.

But I really really wanted the M2, I love the inline 6, but damn that Z is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen. I love how easy it would be to wash/wax, the lines are perfect, it's a hatchback, the interior is perfect.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The new z it’s basically a 370 with more power. i bet it ends up not driving all that great. M2 is a way, way better car. And it will hold its value, Give the Z a couple years and pick one up cheap.
View Quote

I know, and that's kind of why I trust it but you're right about the driving characteristics.
I don't want a 370z, they never interested me.

The new Z is supposed to be 370z chassis with updated body panels, tuning, and increased hp for 40k.

If this dealer has the car I've been dying to get for 61k, well is the Z for a supposed 40k a better choice?
It looks better, they really nailed it. The Z is a great looking car inside and out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone opinions, before I do something reckless tomorrow morning?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#11]
BMW Attachment Attached File
 IS GARBAGE
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Zs have been fat and slow since they killed the 300zxTT.

Get the BMW, if it is between those two.

Porsches are mo betta.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Zs have been fat and slow since they killed the 300zxTT.

Get the BMW, if it is between those two.

Porsches are mo betta.
View Quote

Sigh, I suppose you're right. They keep doing press releases of just the Z walkaround and no one has shown driving it.

Porsche doesn't do anything for me, I know they're nice cars but I don't get them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sigh, I suppose you're right. They keep doing press releases of just the Z walkaround and no one has shown driving it.

Porsche doesn't do anything for me, I know they're nice cars but I don't get them.
View Quote

Have you driven one?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have you driven one?
View Quote

One what?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One what?
View Quote

Porsche.

Because from your stated opinion we don't think so.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Porsche.

Because from your stated opinion we don't think so.
View Quote

:) No I haven't driven a Porsche. I've ridden in them, old and new. They're ok.

They don't do anything for me in the looks department, the GT is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Go drive a 911 Carrera.

It blows the doors off both those cars. It's also lighter by 500+ pounds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go drive a 911 Carrera.

View Quote

3400 lbs is pretty good, same weight as my supra and same hp and wheelbase.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

2015+ 911 w/ manual trans is 3143lbs and has better brakes, same power, better reliability.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

2015+ 911 w/ manual trans is 3143lbs and has better brakes, same power, better reliability.
View Quote

You're selling me, I prefer light weight.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You're selling me, I prefer light weight.

Appreciate the input.
View Quote

And if you can't afford a 911 like me, try a Cayman S.

2.5L turbocharged flat four making 350 hp with a mid engine at 2950lb with manual trans.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I like your style, you're a good dude.

Thanks for the reality check. I really wanted that black M2 Comp with manual, been trying to track one down all year, might have to reconsider.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

:) No I haven't driven a Porsche. I've ridden in them, old and new. They're ok.

They don't do anything for me in the looks department, the GT is pretty nice.
View Quote

Respectfully, that's about as comparative as being in same room and hearing/watching two people having sex, versus having sex.

When you are driving a car, "looks" falls very very low in how anyone rates a car, and is a very misleading and horrible way to assess cars  - unless you are entering it in a contest to be judged visually.

Drive one of the current versions of Porsches and get back to us. I was recently able to drive a 2022 911 GT3 stick. The ONLY negative was, it has less than 3k miles on it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go drive a 911 Carrera.

What's wrong with your Supra? I see a bunch of them at the dragstrip and track. We have a local guy running 9s in his. The seem like they are the car that does everything well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I told myself years ago I would never buy another BMW…
But I’d buy the M2 over the Nissan.
I’d also go for a Porsche product over anything.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Respectfully, that's about as comparative as being in same room and hearing/watching two people having sex, versus having sex.

When you are driving a car, "looks" falls very very low in how anyone rates a car, and is a very misleading and horrible way to assess cars  - unless you are entering it in a contest to be judged visually.

Drive one of the current versions of Porsches and get back to us. I was recently able to drive a 2022 911 GT3 stick. The ONLY negative was, it has less than 3k miles on it.
View Quote

I agree, you're correct.

I just don't like Porshes, I don't want it in my garage and I think they're horrible looking cars, I don't like looking at them.
I don't want a boxer engine, I hate the way they sound.

Everything about them makes me annoyed. They're ugly, I hate boxer engines and their sound, and I don't want a rear engine car.
I want front engine rwd manual gearbox.

No disrespect, I respect and appreciate them greatly. It's just not for me. I know they're amazing cars.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Get the M2 Comp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What's wrong with your Supra? I see a bunch of them at the dragstrip and track. We have a local guy running 9s in his. The seem like they are the car that does everything well.
View Quote

Nothing, it's fantastic except for a few things. I love it and hate it. I'll never let it go or sell it, it's mine so I guess I love it.

I just wanted that M2 comp manual, there wont be another car like it.

I think I decided, I have to call this morning, maybe fly out and drive it home. I need an m2 in my life. It's probably already sold though, I'll find out in a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#30]
My take

There will be a G42 M2 with the S58 - "better" than the F87? Dunno. You could do worse.

But every new M car has detractors lamenting and adherents rejoicing. The truths always complex.

There really is no objective best. You need to drive them both and make a decision based on your needs. I will say from the limited time I've had with the Z and it's people, it isn't the stellar evolution many hoped for. I'll need real seat time before I form more of an opinion. The engine is familiar and a little shoehorned, but no worse than much anymore - the underpinnings carry over, but we'll see if any magic. Not the best pic but I took it for reference not pub.

Attachment Attached File

On the other hand the M2 Comp is a special car, with a following from a marque that creates serious fans and fanbois. Long term the M2 likely a better value.

I wouldnt have either as a sole or daily, but that's me. M2 Comp is prolly the better practical choice. If you want a stick, then you've answered your own question.

GL
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd rather have the BMW, but for my $ I'd buy the Nissan keeping in mind replacement parts' costs throughout ownership.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My take

There will be a G42 M2 with the S58 - "better" than the F87? Dunno. You could do worse.

But every new M car has detractors lamenting and adherents rejoicing. The truths always complex.

There really is no objective best. You need to drive them both and make a decision based on your needs. I will say from the limited time I've had with the Z and it's people, it isn't the stellar evolution many hoped for. I'll need real seat time before I form more of an opinion. The engine is familiar and a little shoehorned, but no worse than much anymore - the underpinnings carry over, but we'll see if any magic. Not the best pic but I took it for reference not pub.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/F50B4CB8-F133-4AB7-8F94-1D2EA243FC55_jpe-2128188.JPG

On the other hand the M2 Comp is a special car, with a following from a marque that creates serious fans and fanbois. Long term the M2 likely a better value.

I wouldnt have either as a sole or daily, but that's me. M2 Comp is prolly the better practical choice.

GL
View Quote

You're breaking my heart on the Z. They did such a good job on the aesthetics and interior.

I believe you and the other guy, it probably wont be the car I'm expecting. Just another 370z, maybe tuners will like it. I read it should be easy 500/600 tune, and since it's same chassis as 370 should be easy to update suspension and modify to whatever you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're breaking my heart on the Z. They did such a good job on the aesthetics and interior.

I believe you and the other guy, it probably wont be the car I'm expecting. Just another 370z, maybe tuners will like it. I read it should be easy 500/600 tune, and since it's same chassis as 370 should be easy to update suspension and modify to whatever you want to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My take

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/F50B4CB8-F133-4AB7-8F94-1D2EA243FC55_jpe-2128188.JPG

I wouldnt have either as a sole or daily, but that's me. M2 Comp is prolly the better practical choice.

GL

Attachment Attached File

Prefer the M2C.

But Nissan draws me. Cut my teeth on Zs, even before Honda. Always have a soft  spot, but I'll admit to being more than disappointed given the original path they charted for the 370 replacement.  But I understand the crisis and Nissans constraints.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#34]

I was going to say the same about Nissan.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#35]
No comparison. The M2 comp coupes is bad ass.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I picked up an m2 comp last year.

It’s powerful enough, handles well. It feels little “heavy” to me, and it doesn’t feel as spirited or connected to the road as my old heavily modified STI did.  It is definitely a performance coupe and not a sports car. It also kind of looks like a choad. I will sell mine in 6 month or so. I like it, but I don’t feel a connection to it.

I average about 21.7 mpg and am stationed in Germany, so that 21.7 includes hours of autobahn at high rates of speed (sustained 110-130mph).

I suggest you test drive one and make sure it feels the way you want.

Let me know if you want specifics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/1D88231B-86C4-4FD4-8B47-4B2AE1B8B00D_jpe-2128194.JPG

Prefer the M2C.

But Nissan draws me. Cut my teeth on Zs, even before Honda. Always have a soft  spot, but I'll admit to being more than disappointed given the original path they charted for the 370 replacement.  But I understand the crisis and Nissans constraints.

View Quote

Can I ask what you're disappointed by?

I know Nissan is hurting, but it seems like they hit one out of the park consumer wise. No one else is making a good driver focused car.
Just one item, everyone else has huge windshield obstructing displays, but they put it where it should be, where the stereo goes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#38]
IMO Nissan cheaper to maintain.
I've owned neither, just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I picked up an m2 comp last year.

It’s powerful enough, handles well. It feels little “heavy” to me, and it doesn’t feel as spirited or connected to the road as my old heavily modified STI did.  It is definitely a performance coupe and not a sports car. It also kind of looks like a choad. I will sell mine in 6 month or so. I like it, but I don’t feel a connection to it.

I average about 21.7 mpg and am stationed in Germany, so that 21.7 includes hours of autobahn at high rates of speed (sustained 110-130mph).

I suggest you test drive one and make sure it feels the way you want.

Let me know if you want specifics.
View Quote

What would you replace it with?

I love the styling, and I suspect the visibility and driving experience is very good. Like you're connected to the road but more open cockpit.
I kinda don't like driving my supra since it's not low profile and I feel like an ass in traffic, nothing but dude attention. Kinda forgot only dudes like cars when I bought it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#40]
The M2 is a special car.  When BMW is making M3/M4 heavier and with an auto transmission, the M2 is the standout in BMW's lineup.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nothing, it's fantastic except for a few things. I love it and hate it. I'll never let it go or sell it, it's mine so I guess I love it.

I think I decided, I have to call this morning, maybe fly out and drive it home. I need an m2 in my life. It's probably already sold though, I'll find out in a few hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve daily driven mine for a bit over a year. In the price range it’s in, it’s about the perfect enthusiast daily driver in my opinion.

Handling is a blast. Not Porsche level good by any means, but the short wheelbase and relatively narrow tires and very neutral balance makes for  a really fun ride. Arguably the most fun car BMW makes right now.

Very quick. Not as fast 0-60 as some of the AWD competitors, but I haven’t yet thought that I needed more power. Turbos are set up so there is virtually no lag.

It’s very liveable for a daily driver, tons of space, awesome visibility, supposed to be pretty reliable.

Only thing I don’t like about it is that the gas tank is way too small. Yeah a 911 would be better, but its 2x the price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#42]
You lucky dog, that's awesome, and I have a bit of envy.
I keep looking, only one I've seen for sale within a thousand miles was a blue automatic. Gorgeous color, but to be mine it has to be manual and black. Dealers aren't taking orders.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#43]
M2C would be the way I would go.  I currently run a 2018 M4 6 speed manual.  It is a tried and true mature engine in the M2C, the Z, who knows.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Have you considered the lifetime service costs of both?  German cars, especially performance cars, get fucking pricy real quick for the various things called for by the manufacturer in the service schedule.

Edit: if that’s not a problem for you, M2, all day, every day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I bought a like-new 2016 370z for peanuts. Super fun car to drive with the manual transmission.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have you considered the lifetime service costs of both?  German cars, especially performance cars, get fucking pricy real quick for the various things called for by the manufacturer in the service schedule.
View Quote

Nope, but life is too short for slow cars.

I could die tomorrow, I need an awesome car today.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd do the M2 comp. I've read that it is simply the best driving BMW of late, may be one of the all time greats. That's saying a lot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Gimme pros/cons, help me!

I want them both, M2 is out of production, this is last year then I'll never be able to buy a new gas I6 like this. They have the color I want, not sure transmission yet. If it's manual I fear I'll buy it sight unseen.
Have to call them tomorrow to find out details.

I keep telling myself the smarter play is putting an order in with a nissan dealer. Guessing they'll start taking orders in December maybe, delivery probably this time next year?
View Quote

Yes you will. The new M2 is out end of next year.

I'll have one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Since when is the M2 out of production?
View Quote

Since June.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#50]
LoL bless your heart.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top