Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2001 8:52:19 PM EDT
Basic argument going on is he's saying that because Colt is saying the M16 A3 is the military designated flattop model and that makes it so(also because of Janes, don't go there I've seen misprints).  I'm saying that the M16 A4 is the military designated flattop and that manufacturers have gotten it wrong.

Yes, I know about the Armalite FAQ and it's something I'm gonna post.   I need more though, as official as possible PLEASE.   I'd love it if the Naval Surface Warfare Center had pictures of an M16 A4 and maybe a R&D description run down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The A3 in the military looks exactly the same as the A2.  The difference is that the A2 is semi or three shot burst and the A3 has full a full auto setting on the selector as well as the other two.  The A4 is the military flat top.  I have a friend in the army who verifies this and I have read it several places.  This is probably not official enough, but my 2 cents worth.

All the manufacturers do have it wrong except ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River Arms calls their flattops A4s as well.

I just need to get it as official as possible, something like a military procurement order where the description of the A3 and A4 would be there in nitpicking detail and all it's glory.

I've seen the info for the A4 out there too but it's all been written or summarized by the person who wrote the page, hardly factual.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It's gonna take a lot more than what's in those links, can't say I found mention of the M16 A3 or the A4 anywhere in those links either.

Thing is I can't goof around with this guy, he knows his stuff really well and that's an understatement.   It's just that I've been hearing the A3/A4 debate for a few years now and I want to find some actual, laid out on the table, proof of one or the other.

I actually found a spot on the web where it lists the A3 and the A4 as both being flattops with one version being a "safe,semi,burst" trigger group and the other being a "safe,semi,full" trigger group and aside from that they are identical.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Naw, the M3 is a WWII submachine gun chambered in 45ACP known as the "grease gun", yeah the M4 was replacing something that old.  Atleast within the articles of that report that's what it was said to replace.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top