Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2021 12:24:38 PM EDT
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/14/22664808/ps5-playstation-5-update-m2-ssd-sony-software

Sony’s first PS5 beta included access to the long-awaited M.2 SSD slot, and now the company is ready to release the update to everyone.

When the second major system update for the PlayStation 5 is released tomorrow, everyone who has managed to acquire the system will also be able to experience 3D audio via their TV’s built-in stereo speakers, similar to the way it works on compatible headsets.

There’s an accompanying update for the PS5’s DualSense controller that lets players use the built-in microphone to help calibrate the audio settings to work for their TV and the room they’re in. If you own Sony’s Pulse 3D headset (it’s a good option for the PS5, among several others we can suggest) then there will be a new equalizer settings panel in the sound controls menu, so you can tweak the audio to your liking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great my slow ass cell phone hotspot internet will take me 3 days to download this update.

The PS5 is pretty awesome, even if most of the games aren't even out yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
will also be able to experience 3D audio via their TV’s built-in stereo speakers
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, a really cool update for a system I can’t find to buy anywhere at MSRP.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!

Just in time for me to go buy one online from a retailer.  BRB
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you even find a PS5?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great my slow ass cell phone hotspot internet will take me 3 days to download this update.

The PS5 is pretty awesome, even if most of the games aren't even out yet.
View Quote

That sucks, lol. It shouldn't be a huge update, file size wise like if you're downloading a digital game.

Yeah, I'm loving how much faster the the PS5 is compared to the PS4.

On my ps4, alot of times I'd get a black loading screen for 10-20 seconds when a COD match started.

Now on PS5, I'm almost always one of the first in a new match. .

I do have 1GB Fiber and I'm wired via ethernet, might have something to do with it also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you even find a PS5?
View Quote

Sure.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Sweet!

Just in time for me to go buy one online from a retailer.  BRB
View Quote

Quoted:
Can you even find a PS5?
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Finally-got-my-PS5-ordered-today-Anyone-else-still-waiting-ETA-See-SSD-deal-in-OP-/5-2479454/
How I got mine, via email invite.

Of you have a PSN account, update your email preferences,  you will get the invite eventually.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The new Costco in my area has the disk system, head set, controller charging dock, and the show 21 for $768.  I fent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
im about to the point i wont buy one out of principal for letting all the bots have and resell the inventory.

limit 20 doesn't keep people from buying up all the inventory and reselling it. at least a bunch of the major sellers started blocking people who had scripts running spamming them every second or two.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you even find a PS5?
View Quote
Yea for $800-1000 scalper prices
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
PC Master race checking in.  What's got the peons all excited in here now?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
im about to the point i wont buy one out of principal for letting all the bots have and resell the inventory.

limit 20 doesn't keep people from buying up all the inventory and reselling it. at least a bunch of the major sellers started blocking people who had scripts running spamming them every second or two.
View Quote

I dont think that's necessarily Sony fault.

I blame the retailers.

I still don't understand why places aren't taking pre-orders.

This crap they do with a couple drops every so often is a pain in the ass. I tried for several months to get one using a PS5 Tracker, but of course no luck.

I got one in my cart several times, but in the process of checking out, they were out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here we go again, lol.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll buy one if I can ever get one for retail.

With Horizon 2 and God of War 5 both releasing on PS4,  I'm not not exactly in any rush.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered mine directly from Sony.  Playstation sent me an email that they were in stock and available.  

My PS5 arrived a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They get to use an NVMe drive now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ordered mine directly from Sony.  Playstation sent me an email that they were in stock and available.  

View Quote

Same here.

I've been trying to get the word out, as this is the easiest way right now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

They used to be in the NewEgg shuffle all the time, but I haven't entered in one in a while so I don't know if they still pop up in it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'll buy one if I can ever get one for retail.

With Horizon 2 and God of War 5 both releasing on PS4,  I'm not not exactly in any rush.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can you even find a PS5?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

No
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding.

One can get a phone, tv, tablet, laptop, etc, can't get a PS5... I think Sony dropped the ball, but I am probably uninformed (yes, I know about the chip issues.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yupp. I just barely managed to get a new Xbox, and they're way easier to find than a PlayStation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool…
I hardly use mine I got about 3 or 4 weeks ago.   As I said before, my wife grabbed one for me.   I didn’t ask for one or really want one.  But a new Costco opened up in Naperville, and they had them stacked to the ceiling.  Some bundle that came with a baseball game, headset, and charger.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one.

Ive got a PS4 and its been a trooper

However it has started randomly beeping. A lot. For seemingly no reason. I suspect its getting hot as its warm to the touch and the fan is going high speed.

Hope it doesnt melt down until the price gets down a bit more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Since there are only 7 PS5 systems world wide it should really help those players.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally. It should have launched with the capability unlocked. That being said, I haven't had any storage issues on my PS5 yet, since I only play one game at a time.

I do download and play some of the free monthly games on occasion. But even then, I haven't ever come close to maxing out the standard 500GB. I don't know how people burn through that much space.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I want one.

Ive got a PS4 and its been a trooper

However it has started randomly beeping. A lot. For seemingly no reason. I suspect its getting hot as its warm to the touch and the fan is going high speed.

Hope it doesnt melt down until the price gets down a bit more.
View Quote

Well, mine has been doing that for over a year. It will also just randomly beep and power itself on.

So you probably don't have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Finally. It should have launched with the capability unlocked. That being said, I haven't had any storage issues on my PS5 yet, since I only play one game at a time.

I do download and play some of the free monthly games on occasion. But even then, I haven't ever come close to maxing out the standard 500GB. I don't know how people burn through that much space.
View Quote

Call of duty will burn through space like you won’t believe if you install what you need for multiplayer.

Gran Turismo sport is right at 100 gig.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Call of duty will burn through space like you won’t believe if you install what you need for multiplayer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CoD multiplayer is all I play, and yeah, their storage requirements are definitely nutty. I still haven't come close to maxing out, though. But maybe I'm in the minority with only having 1-3 games installed at any given time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve posted this before but I will post it again. Sign up for a GameStop power up pro account, it’s $15. Just about every Tuesday at 11 am EST, including today they put bundles on the website for members only. Disc version is $749 with two games, extra controller, and a $50 PSN gift card.

They do this to stop bots from scalping them. You end up with everything I mentioned at retail price. I have bought 4 systems now, to include two in one day.

It’s really not that hard to get anymore if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's mostly Call of Duty. Gigantic installs. 100-150GB each.  Between Modern Warfare, Cold War, Red Dead Redemption 2, F1 2021 and leaving enough space to download updates, I ended up adding a 500GB SSD external to my PS4.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Same here.

View Quote

No it isn’t. See my post above. PlayStations email are a lottery.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Yay consoles!

Last year's tech at next year's prices!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I’ve posted this before but I will post it again. Sign up for a GameStop power up pro account, it’s $15. Just about every Tuesday, including today, they put bundles on the website for members only. Disc version is $749 with two games, extra controller, and a $50 PSN gift card.

They do this to stop boys from scalping them. You end up with everything I mentioned at retail price. I have bought 4 systems now, to include two in one day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve posted this before but I will post it again. Sign up for a GameStop power up pro account, it’s $15. Just about every Tuesday, including today, they put bundles on the website for members only. Disc version is $749 with two games, extra controller, and a $50 PSN gift card.

They do this to stop boys from scalping them. You end up with everything I mentioned at retail price. I have bought 4 systems now, to include two in one day.

I hate bundles, because they always have games or accessories I have no interest in. Can you return the unwanted pieces of a bundle for full retail price at GS? I'm guessing not. Seems like that would be too good to be true.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, mine has been doing that for over a year. It will also just randomly beep and power itself on.

So you probably don't have anything to worry about.
View Quote

Yeah its just the age of this thing is tremendous

I got it in like 2014-2015.

Its impressive as it mostly serves as a entertainment center so its ran a ton. Weve really ramped its usgage up with wife being 8.5 months preggo and me with a broken leg
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I hate bundles, because they always have games or accessories I have no interest in. Can you return the unwanted pieces of a bundle for full retail price at GS? I'm guessing not. Seems like that would be too good to be true.
View Quote

There is always eBay but I applaud them for cutting the scalpers out at least.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's mostly Call of Duty. Gigantic installs. 100-150GB each.  Between Modern Warfare, Cold War, Red Dead Redemption 2, F1 2021 and leaving enough space to download updates, I ended up adding a 500GB SSD external to my PS4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. I guess I'm just in the minority, then. I just like to hop on CoD for an hour and make people mad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm the same way, lol.

I play COD until the new COD comes out, then I play that lol.

I did buy a 1TB wd_black sn850 ssd though.

Glad I get to install it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, I don't know about using an M.2 in a PS5. My first thought is "why did they have the port and not have the feature working at launch"?
My follow up thought was "don't high performance/capacity M.2s have heating issues?"

Then in the video she even mentions that you might need to add a heatsink, and I'm wondering how that would even fit inside the system architecture. I like M.2s a lot, and I'm not criticizing Sony for being forward thinking (but it's inexcusable to not have a feature like that working at launch. That would be like the PS4's USB ports not working at launch), it's just probably not the best option right now for the typical user. Once you step above 1TB, prices increase exponentially.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, fuck scalpers and their bots.

I liked how Target did their restocks, and that's how I got my PS5. They made it so it was local pick up only. So you only had to compete with locals. Not sure if they're still doing that or what. But I was able to snag a disc version for retail last December and my sister scored one for my nephew on the same restock. Had them in-hand same day. It was great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#43]
If you’re a bricks and mortar bro you’ll never find one. If you know how to use Twitter and retailer websites you can get one at retail prices pretty easily.

I got one from Best Buy online easy peasy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm the same way, lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the same way, lol.

That's my exact M.O. usually, too. I'm skipping Vanguard, though. I loved CoD:WW2, but I'm not interested in another shooter based in the past. I'll be going to BF:2042 for this cycle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I used the nowinstock tracker with the Telegram app. Got a PS5 disc version from Amazon about a month after I installed the app (shipped and sold by Amazon at MSRP) . I was awake and piddling around at 2 AM and got the notification. Jumped on Amazon and bought it. They stayed in stock for about 10 minutes after I got it. Apparently they had thousands of them in that drop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve had a PS5 since launch day and have been waiting for this since then.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you’re a bricks and mortar bro you’ll never find one. If you know how to use Twitter and retailer websites you can get one at retail prices pretty easily.

I got one from Best Buy online easy peasy.
View Quote

Truth. GameStop even emailed me this morning to tell me they were going live at 11 again. Like I said, I have bought four systems on three different tuesdays with zero issue.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't know about using an M.2 in a PS5. My first thought is "why did they have the port and not have the feature working at launch"?
My follow up thought was "don't high performance/capacity M.2s have heating issues?"

Then in the video she even mentions that you might need to add a heatsink, and I'm wondering how that would even fit inside the system architecture. I like M.2s a lot, and I'm not criticizing Sony for being forward thinking (but it's inexcusable to not have a feature like that working at launch. That would be like the PS4's USB ports not working at launch), it's just probably not the best option right now for the typical user. Once you step above 1TB, prices increase exponentially.
View Quote

Yes, a heatsink is recommended/ required.

I believe they wanted to do more Beta testing with different brands of SSDs to check for compatibility issues?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's my exact M.O. usually, too. I'm skipping Vanguard, though. I loved CoD:WW2, but I'm not interested in another shooter based in the past. I'll be going to BF:2042 for this cycle.
View Quote

I was actually very impressed with Vanguard in the Alpha and Beta version.

Open beta starts in a few days I believe.

I didn't buy Cold War because I thought the Beta sucked.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’ve had a PS5 since launch day and have been waiting for this since then.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top