Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2021 8:36:46 AM EDT
As you guys know earlier this year we adopted a young female tabby cat and this is the first feline I've ever taken on.

Very sweet natured feline but her random times of wanting attention at 2 in the morning get a little old. That and she gets the zoomies (built up energy) it's kinda a little scary.

Still glad we have her.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
She might mellow out a bit as the years add on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
she adopted you.  not you adopted her.  

get used to a can staring at you in the middle of the night as you sleep.  

Zoomies are funny
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pictures?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Is her food bowl empty at 2am?
That is usually why my cats want attention late at night.
That's a pretty kitty. Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pictures?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Good lookin pussy
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a huge fan of cats but I am seriously thinking about getting a couple potty trained kittens to live in the house with us. The fucking roaches and mice are killing us in here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice looking cat OP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is her food bowl empty at 2am?
That is usually why my cats want attention late at night.
That's a pretty kitty. Congrats.
View Quote
She wants to go outside.

When we first got her we could let her in the backyard unsupervised.....But she discovered how to climb pretty fast so we take her out on a leash now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Never underestimate, she’s planning your demise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Nice kittah!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge fan of cats but I am seriously thinking about getting a couple potty trained kittens to live in the house with us. The fucking roaches and mice are killing us in here.
View Quote

I was not a cat person until my (ex)wife rescued one of the barn cats that had gotten injured and brought him inside. The first time it hopped up on my lap and curled up purring I was instantly in love.

He loved sitting on my lap, every time I sat down he was there.

I miss him so much
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Carcass Rights

Shes staking her claim

Good looking buddy you got there...getting crunchies for mine rfn
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Good for you OP. I love my 2 little retards. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I was never a cat fan.  I could tolerate them but was always a dog person.  Came into a opportunity to help rescue a kitten in the wild and took it in.  She's my shadow.  Follows me everywhere.  I also set boundaries that she's not allowed in my bedroom.
So even at night she knows to go to sleep by herself and doesn't meow or scratch at the door.  And each morning she's patiently/quietly waiting outside my door to start a new day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was not a cat person until my (ex)wife rescued one of the barn cats that had gotten injured and brought him inside. The first time it hopped up on my lap and curled up purring I was instantly in love.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What should we get? Siblings, like a brother and sister, two males, two females? When they are old enough I would have them fixed and would prefer that they not run out of the house. Indoor kitties would be what I want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Your cat looks just like our cat!  We adopted Beans back in June, less than a week after our first cat, Gladys, died after a horrible (and horribly expensive) line of medical complications.   She was less than 3 lbs when we got her, but now she is about 6 lbs.  Your description sounds like our cat as well.  She spent last night in our bed, as Hurricane Nicholas came thru.  

Oh, and I was a #NeverCats my whole life, and now I love them.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]

@burnka871

Those are pretty. What breed?

To the OP, we have a domestic short hair mutt of a male cat. He's 30/70 on waking us up at 4am. It's usually because one of us hasn't made room for him in bed or he thinks it's 6am when he gets fed.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff. It's (not) funny because it's true.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#19]
BTW the butt in the face thing is a honor in their minds...
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#20]
there are a few "loner" cats out there...cats that are anti-social to other cats and just want to live alone

but MOST cats prefer at least one other feline companion, better get another to go with it
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@burnka871

Those are pretty. What breed?

To the OP, we have a domestic short hair mutt of a male cat. He's 30/70 on waking us up at 4am. It's usually because one of us hasn't made room for him in bed or he thinks it's 6am when he gets fed.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff. It's (not) funny because it's true.
View Quote

Not a damn clue. We got them from a local rescue, they are brother sister and a year old last month.

They might be Russian blue but I don't think the eyes match.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
there are a few "loner" cats out there...cats that are anti-social to other cats and just want to live alone

but MOST cats prefer at least one other feline companion, better get another to go with it
View Quote

Having a second cat can take some of the load off the Humans as they will entertain each other.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I noticed our one cat gets the zoomies after he poops.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I usually don't mind the cat but he has a couple issues that make me nuts.

1.) The yowling.  It's like nails on chalkboard into my soul.  I can not freaking stand it.  The older he gets the more he does it and it's starting to make me dream of tossing him back out.  It actually makes my chest tight.

2.) The cat litter.  I do not like litter boxes at all and the litter tracked around is really annoying.  Can't put the litter mats out in front because his favorite pass time is pissing on anything softer than the litter in the box that is near the box.

He was a pretty chill cat when we first took him in, but he's becoming a lot of hassle as an old man.  Still an affectionate critter and he is like a sleeping pill when plops on my chest, purs and goes to sleep I'm almost powerless to remain awake myself.  So he stays, even if we do have a few knock-down drag-outs over him walking the house wailing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Tabbies are my favorite, but presently I have a black cat.  Worst lap cat ever.  All the other cats I've had are content to sit on your lap.  This one wants me to bend down to pet her all the time.

There's an orange tabby that goes to my garage for meals & water.  Come winter I expect it to stay indoors (I have a heated cat pad).
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch out.  We had a similar thing start only to learn that the zooms were also leading to him 'scooting' his ass over everything because his wooden poop was stuck in his butt.  It got a lot less entertaining after I figured that out with a brown smear down the tile floor.  

We started giving him canned pumpkin on the vet's advise and he seems to have no real issues anymore with poop that gets stuck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine gets the zoomies after she eats....especially beef kitten food.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Adopted a black male about 10 days ago.
We named him Peter Murphy.
So far he’s pretty awesome.
Super friendly, loves the kids, and gets stupid retarded when he’s in murder mode.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Watch out.  We had a similar thing start only to learn that the zooms were also leading to him 'scooting' his ass over everything because his wooden poop was stuck in his butt.  It got a lot less entertaining after I figured that out with a brown smear down the tile floor.  

We started giving him canned pumpkin on the vet's advise and he seems to have no real issues anymore with poop that gets stuck.
View Quote

Great.  Thanks for the heads-up.  This cat does have what we call "poopy butt" quite often.  I usually have to chase him around with a wet wipe to clean off any clingers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#30]
We've always had at least 2 cats, so, at the least, they have each other to keep company.  Usually siblings.

We never sleep with them.  In previous homes they've been sequestered to part of the house at night.  We also sleep with our bedroom door closed, and it is kept closed at all times making a somewhat dander/hair-free environment for sleeping.

Regarding litter, and being tracked all over, we were in a similar situation.  Finally hit on a solution - rubber "finger" mat at the threshold of the litter room to trap stray bits of litter from paws and shoes.

This one is worn and needs to be replaced, but you get the idea... Attachment Attached File

Two of our current 3...brothers/littermates:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#31]
You will get fewer night zoomies if you play in the evening. Play in a way that excercises the large muscle groups (four legs, back) with one of the toys made with stick -> string -> target. Swoop it around and get the cat leaping and running.  Go until she pants, then slow down for breath and then go until she pants.

You'll never stop all of it, but doing play before bed will help some.  

My cat is 18 years old and she still astonishes me with how fast she can snatch some little thing out of the air. She can target, move, and kill before I can think.  Be thankful you aren't the size of a mouse or these little fuzzy kitties would be terrifying.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Awesome OP!!!

Lot's of adorable kittehs in this thread!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Boo or Ding a Ling.  Our most recent member of the Pet Mafia.
She's the one that drag races up and down the hallway.  I found her at 6am behind the warehouse I worked at.
That makes five cats.  All the cats get fed at the same time.  No 2am surprise.  They are all indoor cats except for the barking cat.
Boo with the barking cat.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What should we get? Siblings, like a brother and sister, two males, two females? When they are old enough I would have them fixed and would prefer that they not run out of the house. Indoor kitties would be what I want.
View Quote

Go to a shelter and see what they got. They will probably have some bonded pairs or siblings. If they come from a shelter they will be fixed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I got these three from the same house.  House gets lively sometimes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#38]
We've had cats for probably 25 years now.  Inside/outside at first but they kept getting "lost" or we'd find them dead in/near our yard.

So it was inside only cats after the first few.  We're on our 3rd and 4th inside only cats now.  Brother and sister from the same litter.

I've been amazed at how smart some cats can be.  Almost like having small dogs in the house.

They respond to hearing their name called and will often come over to us when we call them.

They react (in different ways) to sensing someone, or something is outside that isn't normal for our yard/house.  Little furry, but quiet alarm systems.  

Funny as hell when they're upstairs in the exercise room playing and they knock something over/make a big racket.  It get's real quiet, then one of us will yell at them, "Okay.  That's enough.  Stop and come down here right now!"  We laugh our butts off when we here that slow pit/pat/pit/pat of little feet and the female peeks around the corner at us.  When we say, "Prissy, come on down here and behave", she will pit/pat/pit on down the steps and onto the rug to sit down and look at us.  When one of us pats the couch beside of us she will usually come over, jump up on the couch and curl up while being petted.  Her much bigger brother waits, to make sure everything is okay/safe and then he will come down the stairs in a few minutes.

They will not jump up on the couch with us unless we tell them it's okay.  We notice them sitting on the rug, looking at us, then we pat the couch and tell them to "come on."  They will then jump up beside us and curl up for some petting and sleeping.

My wife is going to go ape shit when they die one of these days.  She's already said there will be no more cats in our house once these two are gone.  She's so attached to them it's going to be rough.

And yeah, cats make you part of their "family."  We get up in the morning and find little mouse toys laying on our socks/shoes, or on the rug in front of where we sit on the couch.  Ours will attempt wash our fingers and clean our claws (finger nails) while we brush them.  Weird as hell looking at, and feeling that big tom cats huge fangs scraping your finger nails.  And feeling him use his paw to move your fingers to the right spot where he can use those fangs to get your nails cleaned.   He's got a hell of a set of fangs.  The vet said, "Those fangs are just big for his size, they are really big."  He loves to have his belly/chest rubbed and will wrap his front legs around your wrist to keep you from stopping/pulling back.

Enough.  Got stuff to do.  Cats, like dogs and people, are different one to the next.  A really good cat is an amazing pet/member of the family.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Here are my two loveable PITA's.
Pookie and Miss Piggy

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]
If your cat has too much time on its hands it will make plans to kill you. Keep it busy and you will live.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
BTW the butt in the face thing is a honor in their minds...
View Quote

One of our cats used to lay on my pillow and lick my hair.    Her name was BDub.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our cat does the same, exact thing!
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NickGunar

I wish you were closer

I have 3 sister's that are spoiled indoor girls and 3 male kittens ( i can parts with 2 )  and then i got my gas station girls I need to find homes for before winter

as well as the all other sizes and mellow attitudes i need to rehome from my moms house
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@NickGunar

I wish you were closer

I have 3 sister's that are spoiled indoor girls and 3 male kittens ( i can parts with 2 )  and then i got my gas station girls I need to find homes for before winter

as well as the all other sizes and mellow attitudes i need to rehome from my moms house
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NickGunar

I wish you were closer

After seeing these kitty cats in this thread I'm heading to the local pound in a few days to see what they have.

Any tips on kitty litter and other ideas to keep a bad smell out of the house?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Chewy.com is your friend.  

Bitchy Cat or Princess Fuzzy-Butt.  Rescued her from Seattle Humane Society.  Good thing too.
She can get nasty.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#46]
We have two cats we picked up from the local rescue 5 or 6 year ago to replace the two that we had had for 15ish and they passed on.   Our male Jack decided that he liked one of the older ( 15 years old ) cats in out neighborhood and brought him home,  I didn't realize cats had sleepovers with their buddies.   We now have a third cat Tango who actually belongs to some folks two houses down from us but doesn't ever go home.   The lady that lives where he used to sleep sends us a big box of friskies from Amazon every month or so and comes by to see her cat every once in a while.

My boy Jack giving Tango a little cleaning.

Tango is obviously upset with having to live in a new home.

The pride out front for the after dinner nap.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

After seeing these kitty cats in this thread I'm heading to the local pound in a few days to see what they have.

View Quote

I have had good luck with the corn based litter. Be sure to scoop the box every day. Litter genie works good to help control the smell. A good way to "show" them where the litter box is to pick them up and put them in it a few times, cats are fast learners and will remember where its at pretty quick.

chewy.com is great
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Two of our three cats were office cats at our old vet’s office.
One never got adopted because he had medical issues. After 10 years, we’re his first official "home."
The other never got adopted because she was nasty. Now… she’s a big, chubby, mush.
I’ve always been a dog person. However, over the years, I’ve come to really appreciate cats.
Dogs you love for their heart. Cats, for their attitude.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want a more hands off approach, get a Litter Robot:
https://www.litter-robot.com/shop-all-products/litter-robot-iii-open-air-with-connect.html

While its pricey (can buy other places with discount codes), it pays for itself in not having to clean out every day and it doesn't use as much litter as a traditional box.  So saves money on litter in the long run.
Plus it doesn't have the smell like a traditional box does (even if you clean every day).

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top