Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2021 8:08:20 PM EDT
I’m building a house in Florida.   Have NG available.  

Should I had a NG fire pit on the back porch?

Or

A NG fire pit built into the wall below the living room TV?

Or

A brick fire pit in the yard for burning wood?

Some combination of all three?

What do you find used the most?

Back porch will be 11x35 and have a pool.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for responses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File
The more fire the better
I've got one on the outside bar top, another "conversation sit around" at the other end of the deck and a wood fired Solostove down below on the concrete patio

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File
Other fire.  Not making a wood fire yet tonight
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
get both
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20267/image_jpg-2073876.JPGOther fire.  Not making a wood fire yet tonight
View Quote

I really like these. What'd that run you?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We put an ng fire pit in the backyard. I didn't want one with a pussy flame, so we bought 180,000 btu Fire Surfer.

https://betterpatio.com/products/fire-pit-bella-vita-70-inch
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20267/image_jpg-2073876.JPGOther fire.  Not making a wood fire yet tonight

About 450 at Costco a couple years ago
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve lived in houses with gas fireplaces and traditional wood burning.

Maybe it’s just me, but I greatly prefer wood burning. Gas is convenient, but it feels too artificial to me. I’d rather get some kindling, light a match, and keep throwing logs on it. A fireplace is all about the experience to me. If all I wanted was heat more heat, I’d just plug in a space heater.

I guess it’s sort of like the difference between cooking a meal yourself, or eating the TV dinner equivalent. Which is odd considering I’m more of a TV dinner guy really.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
This is one I did a couple years ago for a restaurant.

This is the burner:

https://www.woodlanddirect.com/350000-btu-round-electronic-crossfire-burner-system---48/531750.html

I highly recommend Warming Trends burners. I’ve used them on multiple projects (residential and commercial), and they’ve never disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20267/image_jpg-2073874.JPGThe more fire the better
I've got one on the outside bar top, another "conversation sit around" at the other end of the deck and a wood fired Solostove down below on the concrete patio

View Quote

Are these plumbed into a gas line or is there a propane tank sitting next to it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
We have a traditional fire pit of a rock circle of stones for burning trash. We also have one at the base of our water garden/flower garden on the hill leading down to our seating area and glass fronted screen house at the base of that. There's a steel grated tub for burning firewood off the ground. No worries about a wet fire pit after rains. We also have two natural gas fireplaces inside our house, one on the lower level and one one the second level. I wouldn't want a gas firepit. Sitting around the firepit and burning wood is a large part of the appeal to me. All the indoor wood burning fireplaces we've had in previous houses have resulted in lot of burned wood dust throughout the rooms they were in. For me it's wood outdoors and natural gas indoors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Never was interested in having an outside warming fire.

Much too cozy inside on the couch with a cup of coffee/cocoa/tea and wife snuggled up to me.  We love our gas fireplace in the house and use it when the urge hits us.  And, the cats love that fireplace, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Firepit by the ool is awesome. It gets cold in the winter in FL when you get out. There should be no p in ools.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're going to go gas for the fire pit use a warming trends burner.
They are the KAC of fire pit burners...
For a fireplace stick with R H Peterson products.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tag for responses.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are these plumbed into a gas line or is there a propane tank sitting next to it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20267/image_jpg-2073874.JPGThe more fire the better

Propane tanks underneath
I don't have NG currently at the house
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
propane fire pit built into the patio.  

wood fireplace in the house.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Our first fire table was a Chinese POS that I hugely regretted buying. We basically gave it away to a guy who planned to try and re-plumb it.

Lesson learned. We now have an O.W. Lee firetable plumbed into the natural gas on the back deck. They're manufactured in Canada, and the quality is very good. They make a really nice round glass wind deflector that works well on breezy nights. Recommended.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#19]
If you get a gas fireplace, get one that has a furnace rating, not just decorative.

We replaced our decorative gas fireplace with a furnace rated one a few years ago and now use it all the time in the winter. The radiant heat feels good and you don't have to worry about embers burning your house down while you sleep.

The cats seem to like it, too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Splunk (the all black) will lay in front of it until he starts to smolder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a fire pit by the pool and pond that uses logs.
Going to have to get new gas logs soon as ours are on their last legs. In for suggestions.  Been through wood, insert, and gas logs. I love gas inside.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Indoors Gas inserts generally look like shit. Open flames do not throw enough heat and unvented add C02 and soot. I was going to renovate mine but in the end bought some fake candles and a stand for the effect of flames
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a simple propane unit from Lowes we use when we don't want real wood burning... We love it, puts out some BTU's too. ~$140
But yes, put in a NG unit. My BBQ runs NG and it we like that also.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
About 450 at Costco a couple years ago
View Quote

@sixgunsblazing

Not bad. How many hours would you say you get from a 20lb propane tank?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@sixgunsblazing

Not bad. How many hours would you say you get from a 20lb propane tank?
View Quote
Hard to say.  Between 2 firepit and a grill, probably 2 bottles a
month.  Depends on the weather of course.  An easy fire is always nice though when it's good weather

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Love the pictures.  

I think we’ll put an NG one into the wall inside.  

Outside I’ll have an NG hookup for a grill.   Right now we’re thinking just getting a propane fire table so it can be moved around on the porch.  I see that you can hide the tank on some of them.  

Then a wood burning pit in the yard somewhere.  

Lots of fire opportunities
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ve lived in houses with gas fireplaces and traditional wood burning.

Maybe it’s just me, but I greatly prefer wood burning. Gas is convenient, but it feels too artificial to me. I’d rather get some kindling, light a match, and keep throwing logs on it. A fireplace is all about the experience to me. If all I wanted was heat more heat, I’d just plug in a space heater.

I guess it’s sort of like the difference between cooking a meal yourself, or eating the TV dinner equivalent. Which is odd considering I’m more of a TV dinner guy really.
View Quote

I’m with you. While it’s easier, it’s much less satisfying.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
get both
View Quote

gas is real convenient… but nothing beats a real wood fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top