Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2021 1:18:15 PM EDT
I need a good trauma kit for the range.  Anyone have a link to a good quality kit for a decent price?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeez.  I’m all for being prepared but where do you shoot?

Sorry, no recommendations other than basic first aid but I would include a good tourniquet and “quick clot” powder.  And a working cell phone to get EMS ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry, no recommendations other than basic first aid but I would include a good tourniquet and “quick clot” powder.  And a working cell phone to get EMS ASAP.
View Quote

Moved to Salt Lake City.  Shooting in the middle of nowhere 25 miles east of SLC. Someone could easily bleed out before we could get them to a hospital...
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
no one uses hemostatic powder anymore. get the gauze or the sponge. Always a good idea to be prepared. ask Scott. wait for NAR to have a sale, they do often.

something like this. and learn how to use it, https://www.narescue.com/roo-m-fak-kit.html
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You got two thumbs don't ya? Damn. Just stick your thumb in it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to have a full triage kit, especially around the appendix carry crowd.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
and... distance is not a factor!

If someone who carries with a appendix holster and NDs clipping the femoral... an ambulance less than a 1/2 mile away might not arrive in time to save the victim!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
CAT tourniquets
combat/quikclot gauze
Regular z-packed gauze
H-compression bandages
Quality medical tape
Chest seal

Thats the extent of my training so thats all i can recommend.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Built yourself one. You can hop on amazon and pick up a CAT Tourniquet, some Quick Clot, 2 israeli bandages and a 10 pack of large trauma/Gauze pads. You can throw some nitrile gloves and some hand sanitizer in and call it a trauma kit. I prefer to build my own kits just because I know what is in the kit and I am familiar with how it looks and can pick the highest possible quality without paying a premium for packing it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Putting one together is pretty easy.
Search blow out kit, the contents are all pretty standard.

A tourniquet (either CAT or SOF)
An Israeli bandage
Compressed gauze
Blood clotting agent (Quick Clot or Celox)
A pair of chest seals (Hyfin or HALO)
A 28f NP airway and lube (get some training)
Gloves
EMT shears
A mini sharpie
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

An Israeli bandage
Compressed gauze
Gloves
EMT shears
A mini sharpie
View Quote

I caught a kit from North American Rescue on sale on Black Friday (the ROO kit listed above).   North American Rescue has an excellent reputation and you know you aren't getting out-of-date merch (blood-clotting agents, fake chinese CAT's on EBAY, etc.), so maybe sign up for email notifications of their sales.  I recently bought a backup CAT on sale from Primary Arms.

In the meantime, here is a USGI surplus kit ($55) which you could supplement with combat gauze from N.A.R. GI Surplus..

Also--buy some trauma shears--they're like $10.

For anyone who is new to this (like me) taking a Stop The Bleed class is an excellent use of a rainy Saturday.

Good on you for thinking ahead.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly how many of awib carry crowd shoot themselves in the groin area?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

North American Rescue has an excellent reputation and you know you aren't getting out-of-date merch (blood-clotting agents, fake chinese CAT's on EBAY, etc.),

View Quote

Forgot the Quick Clot in my list, thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
also I prefer the Olaes bandage over the standard Israeli bandage, more versatile in basically the same space. if you look into it they have vids on their site showing how to use all the features.

here are some vids lower on the page.

https://tacmedsolutions.com/products/olaes-modular-bandage

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I put one together for our range (a long time ago - before Quick-Clot).
As far as I know, it was used once - someone that the range officer warned about having his thumb folded over his hand behind the slide.
He took the advice until after loading his next mag, then made a lot of noise and sprayed blood everywhere when he found out was "slide bite" is all about.

Anti-septic, gauze padding and bandage fixed him up enough for someone to drive him to the hospital.

One thing no-one had thought about was disinfectant and cleaning supplies to clean up the blood. Don't forget that.
This guy was healthy, some people are not, and you need to clean up all of the blood and disinfect afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget tampons and maxi-pads.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Check online, I have a Israeli trauma kit and a CAT tourniquet in my range bag, along with liquid skin and bandages for hammer bite or skinned knuckles.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Put a lucky charm in the kit.
Getting shot is a real hit or miss thing.
As in what gets hit and what gets missed.
Hit the wrong thing and it's over.

I was a Paramedic back in the early 1980s.

Except for gunshot wounds in extremities, there is not really all that much
you can treat of gunshot wounds to the chest/thorax, etc.
Try and pack them off to limit external bleeding, cover them if they are sucking
chest wounds, but hustle them to a hospital remains the best option to extend survival.

Luckily most handgun wounds are not all that damaging.
Long guns at close range are devastating.
The internal tissue destruction is for the most part untreatable.
The only treatment is get them to a surgeon.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I need a good trauma kit for the range.  Anyone have a link to a good quality kit for a decent price?
View Quote
You have the training to use the kit? If not, get training first.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Primary Arms has a "range kit" in a Tactical Tailor fanny pack for $250. It's actually pretty well equipped.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
SOF Tourniquet
Combat gauze
Trauma sheers
A few pairs of nitrile gloves, get a size over what you would normally wear, they will be a pain in the ass to put on if your hands are sweating.
5x9 abd pads
trauma dressing
Kling wrap
Coban
Marker for tourniquet application time
Hyfin chest seal learn how and when to use it.
Vaseline gauze for the exit wound for the above.
Really good tape for the Vaseline gauze.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Get training first.  Once you have some sort of training, you'll know what to buy and not buy.

I strongly recommend every arfcommer have at least a stop the bleed class, and a BLS level CPR class.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Work provided me with 1st aid training and a bag from Northwest AED of Median, Washington.  Lots of goodies in the bag.  I don't know if it was an off the shelf one or one they put together just for our work group.

I've added a CAT tourniquet and several more "stuff in holes" kind of bandages.

I have one of the bags in each of our rigs, so one goes with me to the range every time. (I bought an extra one from the company and a guy gave me his when he left.)

The shooting range has a small 1st aid kit...bandaids?

Some of the RSOs have full on First Responder Bags and the training to use the stuff.

I just need to be able to plug the leaks until help arrives.  I hope to never need my kit!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hopefully you start carrying AIWB soon
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

An Israeli bandage
Compressed gauze
Blood clotting agent (Quick Clot or Celox)
Gloves
EMT shears
A mini sharpie
View Quote

That's a pretty good kit.
The place I go has first aid kits on the line.

What I'd really recommend is training.  The best kit available does no good if there isn't anyone around that can use it. (I'e got just enough training to be dangerous).  Training without equipment may even be better if you can source equipment from shooters on the line.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#27]
A pouch.

In the easy to open pouch... put two CAT tq's, Quick Clot 'combat gauze' x2, sheers.... and maybe a pressure bandage, like an israeli.

space blanket or two.

That's about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Build your own. Decide(realistically) exactly what you want in it and how you’re going to be carrying/wearing it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's common sense.
All it takes is one horrible mistake.
We have a large sign that shows not only where the stop the bleed kit is, but also the address for 911.
Rural areas can not always be GPS'd.
Plus, regarding the stop the bleed kit, we had the FD come out and show exactly how to use it, and that's always fee.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't forget...
View Quote

Perhaps we should stop even joking about it, lest somebody here take you seriously.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
and... distance is not a factor!

If someone who carries with a appendix holster and NDs clipping the femoral... an ambulance less than a 1/2 mile away might not arrive in time to save the victim!
View Quote

Hell, if they're on the front steps of the hospital and clip the Femoral, they won't make the OR, usually.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#32]
The key is education.
Unlike ARFCOM not everybody is a SEAL or ParaRescue.
You can have a $1000 kit, if you don't know how to use it, it's worthless.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Dark Angel has good kits Here
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Duct tape

Add that to your kit.  Roll some off and make a smaller roll.  I even carry some black electrical tape as well.  

Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top