Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 6:51:42 PM EDT
I have been looking at an SKS and wanted to put on one of the aftermarket stocks they sell in SGN but am not %100 on the legal end.  From what I can tell the 10 fixed mag makes it legal to put just about anything on the SKS including the dragonov, pistol grip, or folding look stock.  Anyone have any comments for a poor lost PRK soul.

[img]http://www.gunaccessories.com/ati/SKSAccessories/SKSFiberforceStock.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.gunaccessories.com/ati/SKSAccessories/SKSUltralightStock.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.gunaccessories.com/ati/SKSAccessories/SKSMonteCarloStock.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The folding stock has to be pinned. You can have a pistol grip since the mag is fixed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Check to make sure your SKS only holds 10 rounds. My two SKS's each hold 11 rounds in the mag, so i removed them from the state rather than register them as SB23 AW's.
Some people have had sucess with a little dab of JB weld in the bottom of the mag to make it only hold ten.
A couple days ago I handled and shot an SKS that had a rivet(?) through the mag to limit the capacity to 5 rounds.

BTW: NRA did an excellent article on the SKS and 922R a few years ago. Basically it is very easy to be in violation of 922R when you start customizing the SKS. You have to be carefull that you dont convert it to a configuration that doesnt meet the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA68. Monte Carlo style sythetic stocks are legal. Dragnov are questionable. To cover your butt get written BATF clarification before doing any mods on Imported Semi autos.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info... now I just have to figure out how to order one.  The local shop sold there last one this week, now I have to wait.  I hate waiting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to save some money get your C&R FFL for $35.00 then order an SKS from Aim or Century for $115.00.

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Only $35  Can you tell me where to apply.

Do you have info on contacts for Aim or Century.  Of course Centerfire Systems sell the SKS with the stock of my choice for $149
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Found some info on C&R looks pretty good to me.  Anyone here have any info on this.  30 day wait on shipments is a bit tough for an instant gratification guy like me but hey some good prices.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah mean there are still SKS's left in Kalifornia. I kinda lost track what was happening there. I kinda thought the commies took all the guns away by now.

Six
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Still quite a few out here when they come in.  The Local BureauCraps are too busy trying to take away the pocket pistols and 50's so they have given us that little window to buy.  And buy we should...fast and furious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
didnt need to send the 11rnd SKSs out of state or register them either
its a FLUKE that they hold 11, there not designed to hold more than 10, they are not advertised as holding more than 10
a cop isnt gonna walk up and try to force 1 extra round into the mag

if your worried about it, buy a new fixed mag that for sure holds 10 rounds, or stick a block in the bottom
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a copy of Shotgun News, there are plenty of places selling crappy SKS's for $35.00.
Expect to buy a nice one for around $125 out of SGN, plus FFL fees and shipping. Pay anything above $175 and you are getting dicked.
Everything you would want to know about SKS rifles:
[url]http://www.simonov.net[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm finding a lot of nice firearms that are classified as C&R.  Uh Oh..  I think I have stumbled into a new hobby.  I called for my C&R apps. today and with some luck I will be ordering my own SKS rather than paying through the nose at the local shop.

Anyone else her have and use a C&R that can tell me some of there experiences...good or bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top