User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/9/2021 12:18:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
This looks really cool.

Make sure all the ROTC groups know this is going on if you have not already.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you a competent shooter?

Even when you are tired?

Can you fight through exhaustion?

Are you smart?

Are you a jack of all trades?

Can you land nav at night without a light?

Do you know ropes?

Come on then. Show us what you're made of.
View Quote

Yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, no.

I do have some practical skills like communications, IW, and drones though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic, I'm no longer fit enough to do soldier stuff but I am very happy this stuff is happening.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m not and I won’t.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
too old and in pain.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
too old and in pain.
View Quote
You and me both. We can still be very supportive though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Something tells me my 20 daily pushups are not going to cut it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m down 26lbs since last years qual Ben.  But I just can’t seem to get my stamina and cardio up to an acceptable level. I’m going to keep working at it, but I may be aged and healthed out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Is fitness important or should we neglect it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The more you neglect it, the more entertaining it will be.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idk I heard this one guy almost died of renal failure
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah but I heard he also got a shirt or something.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, you had me at exhaustion.

If I'm exhausted, it means I've run out of ammo or I'm fighting something bulletproof.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shirt is perfect for washing cars.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#16]
While such stuff can be fun and I would love to be younger and healthier to do it, it really doesn't apply to realistic self-defense situations.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Well Im down with the land nav without a light. Shooting you betcha

But the rest of the stuff sounds not as much fun
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my first 6 mil hike done with @lomshek and @notcalifornialegal and some other Kansas Boys.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I don’t know shit about shit but this certainly looks interesting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m not and I won’t.
View Quote

To many donuts???

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got my first 6 mil hike done with @lomshek and @notcalifornialegal and some other Kansas Boys.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m down 26lbs since last years qual Ben.  But I just can’t seem to get my stamina and cardio up to an acceptable level. I’m going to keep working at it, but I may be aged and healthed out.
View Quote

No idea what your stats are but I’ll share mine for you to consider.

52 years old, 5’9”, 225 lbs when I started.  Started losing weight and working out but still got my ass kicked on the first two hikes.  I made the 2 hour cut off (barely) but looked and sounded like I was about to explode my heart.

Kept working out and upped my cardio workouts into structured high intensity intervals and finally did decent on the third hike meaning I kept up with the group.

By our May hike I’ll be down around 25 pounds (the weight loss definitely helps) but more importantly will be finishing my second cycle of high intensity interval training (4 weeks of killing it and 1 or 2 weeks recovery).  

An extremely strong cardio system is the single biggest requirement for doing this stuff.  It was true 35 years ago when I was toting a SAW and PRC-77 on forced marches and smoking everyone else in my infantry company and it’s true now.  

The pack and pace tax your cardio.  Stronger cardio makes it easy.  You get stronger cardio by doing intervals at an intensity that has you worried about throwing up or passing out.

As a former high level bike racer I’m doing my cardio on the bike.  For an old guy with a knee that’s not 100% it lets me push it really hard without further damaging my mangled body.

If you’re not using them check out one of the online subscription workout programs.  Having a "coach" or class on the screen demonstrating the workouts and keeping a timer going helps to push you harder than just doing it alone.  I use Sufferfest on the bike but there are a ton of options like Beach Body that work great for non bike workouts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone who doesnt attend is weak and feeble.

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Do I need a BaoFeng?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Are you a competent shooter?  YES

Even when you are tired?  NEVER TRIED---HOW "TIRED?"

Can you fight through exhaustion?  HAVE BEFORE

Are you smart?  DEPENDS ON DEFINITION OF "SMART"

Are you a jack of all trades?  I DO A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS

Can you land nav at night without a light?  NEVER TRIED.  

Do you know ropes?  I KNOW SEVERAL KNOTS, USE ROPES VERY OFTEN TO TIE DOWN LOADS

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
While such stuff can be fun and I would love to be younger and healthier to do it, it really doesn't apply to realistic self-defense situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It absolutely does.

The ability to operate effectively under stress, and to rapidly think through problems and come up with solutions on the fly, is most definitely applicable to real life defense situations.

Absolutely!

If I can choose between being completely exhausted to the point of rubbery legs or being strong and collected after 30 seconds or a minute of a fight I know which one will help me come out on top!

Beyond that the improved quality of life a little fitness gives you is worth the struggle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm 48 with bad knees from years of doing shit. My tactics will be employed to account for this shortcoming.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

The ability to operate effectively under stress, and to rapidly think through problems and come up with solutions on the fly, is most definitely applicable to real life defense situations.

As far as the age bit goes, half of the participants last year we over 40, with a few in their 50s who are not military or prior military.
View Quote

I believe OP is correct. Lots of guys who didn't do shit and have office jobs, get fit and can move well at older ages to play soldier because they have zero miles on the odometer. I still have to work for a living and can't afford to fuck up what little body I have left after 30 yes if getting after it. You don't see Marcus Luttrell showing up at Cola Warrior to run it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#33]
You're doing good things, Ben.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You don't see Marcus Luttrell showing up at Cola Warrior to run it.
View Quote

Whoa.  We should totally get Marcus Luttrell to run Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesnt attend is weak and feeble.

View Quote

Yes. Also, I’m not going to fucking Montana.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]
It do be lookin yellow tho
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We need support staff too...just saying...
View Quote
I will try to make one of these. You get some armor yet?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

As far as the age bit goes, half of the participants last year we over 40, with a few in their 50s who are not military or prior military.
View Quote
You absolutely correct about dealing with stress.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#41]
It lacks true warfighter skills: meaningless meetings, the drudgery of being a staff officer and 39 versions of the same powerpoint.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

View Quote

If guys can complete Army basic Training at age 59, the only thing stopping you is you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It absolutely does.

My answer is why the hell does it have to apply?  It’s just a fun competition
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It do be lookin yellow tho
View Quote

That means your attendance is required.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If guys can complete Army basic Training at age 59, the only thing stopping you is you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I mean, if that is your standard...

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I would love to go (as support staff, I would die on the trail ) but it’s a long drive to MT and I have such a multitude of other things my meager pay must go towards first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would love to go (as support staff, I would die on the trail ) but it’s a long drive to MT and I have such a multitude of other things my meager pay must go towards first.
View Quote

Yeah, that's a hike, do one in PA or something.

I do have paintball shortly after that....basically the same thing right.....?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No idea what your stats are but I’ll share mine for you to consider.

52 years old, 5’9”, 225 lbs when I started.  Started losing weight and working out but still got my ass kicked on the first two hikes.  I made the 2 hour cut off (barely) but looked and sounded like I was about to explode my heart.

Kept working out and upped my cardio workouts into structured high intensity intervals and finally did decent on the third hike meaning I kept up with the group.

By our May hike I’ll be down around 25 pounds (the weight loss definitely helps) but more importantly will be finishing my second cycle of high intensity interval training (4 weeks of killing it and 1 or 2 weeks recovery).  

An extremely strong cardio system is the single biggest requirement for doing this stuff.  It was true 35 years ago when I was toting a SAW and PRC-77 on forced marches and smoking everyone else in my infantry company and it’s true now.  

The pack and pace tax your cardio.  Stronger cardio makes it easy.  You get stronger cardio by doing intervals at an intensity that has you worried about throwing up or passing out.

As a former high level bike racer I’m doing my cardio on the bike.  For an old guy with a knee that’s not 100% it lets me push it really hard without further damaging my mangled body.

If you’re not using them check out one of the online subscription workout programs.  Having a "coach" or class on the screen demonstrating the workouts and keeping a timer going helps to push you harder than just doing it alone.  I use Sufferfest on the bike but there are a ton of options like Beach Body that work great for non bike workouts.
View Quote

Thats awesome. Huge congrats
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#50]
OST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top