Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2004 3:03:06 PM EDT
The Good Boys

Posted May 12, 2004

by R. Scott Moxley

To their defense lawyers, the three defendants accused in the July 2002 gang-rape of an unconscious girl on a pool table are thoughtful, budding gentlemen whose love of school is overshadowed only by their desire to help the needy and defenseless animals.

The lawyers say Greg Haidl, Kyle Nachreiner and Keith Spann have made just one mistake in their brief lives: allowing themselves to be lured into a night of videotaped sexual debauchery by a promiscuous high school girl.

"It was planned not by them, but by her," Nachreiner lawyer John Barnett has told the jury, which is expected to decide the case in late June.

But on May 10, prosecutor Dan Hess landed a major blow to the defense when he replayed video Haidl and Nachreiner shot of themselves less than six weeks before the July 6, 2002, alleged rape. Jane Doe, then 16 years old, was not present for the taping, and yet the teenagers were—and here was the surprise for jury-- not the well-mannered boys presented by the defense.

Here’s why Hess didn’t feel the need to offer commentary for jurors about the May 31, 2002, video:

It’s after 8 p.m., Haidl films Nachreiner, then 17 years old, drinking vodka and pink fruit punch outside, standing on what appears to be a garage roof top. Haidl yells at Nachreiner, "Hurry up and down that! You got three seconds!" Nachreiner gulps from the glass and then smiles. He’s finished one-third of the cocktail. An unknown third male stands nearby smiling, giggling.

Haidl dares Nachreiner to hurl himself over a guard rail and onto concrete pavement which looks to be about 20-feet below. Nachreiner is seen pacing and mugging for the camera which has a fish-eye lens. It’s dusk. The sun is setting behind some trees in the background.

"Fucking listen to this, bitch," he says of Haidl.

Haidl replies, "You are a pussy. . . . Don’t be a bitch."

Nachreiner says, "You think I’m some black-ass nigger?" He drinks more and says with disgust, "Fucking drink!"

"Hey, Kyle, don’t be gay," he says.

"Bitch!" says Nachreiner, who says he’ll jump only if he can jump with the camera.

Haidl says no. "I’m going to fuck you up," he adds. "Don’t be gay, Kyle. . . . Don’t be weak, Kyle."

Nachreiner puts down his drink, runs, leaps off the roof and, to cheers, lands with a thud on the pavement. Haidl captures it all. Nachreiner rolls momentarily out of control from the force of the impact and then laughs. The film goes dark.

Weeks later, Haidl, Nachreiner and Spann invited Jane Doe to their unsupervised, late-night party, gave her beers, marijuana and a mixed drink. Prosecutors say that after the girl fell unconscious, the defendants videotaped themselves raping and molesting her with a pool stick, lighted cigarette, Snapple bottle and a juice can. Hess said the defendants repeatedly inserted and twisted the foreign objects in Jane Doe’s vagina and rectum causing numerous internal tears. On some occasions, defense lawyers claim that the girl had given advanced consent; on others, they argue that the then-16-year-old girl was faking unconsciousness and enjoyed the experience.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The scary thing is I've met girls who would do that with full consent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of the working title of the Beastie Boys's first album.  They were going to call it "Don't be a Faggot", but changed it to "Licensed to Ill".
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Update. Prosecution screwed the pooch in court on Friday. Until this point the DA has been kicking ass on this case. He gave the defense team their first small victory.

www.ocweekly.com/ink/04/36/news-exclusive3.php
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The scary thing is I've met girls who would do that with full consent.

If a girl is of legal age of consent, she is not intoxicated and decides to have consensual sex with several men, that is her choice.  A very bad choice on many levels, but hers to many nonetheless.  That is not what happened here, at least not from the information that has been released so far.

I wouldn't wish anal rape on anyone, but these guys have made their own bed.    
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]

The defense also intends to drop a bombshell by using the footage to prove the girl was never unconscious.  They will show jurors at least two spots on the film when the alleged victim moved her body:  once early in the sex, her hand swung up to her head and then later, after she'd been tossed on the pool table, her hip moved.

WTF??  She moved!  OMFG!  Hold the presses!  These guys are obviously innocent.  I mean, she moved when they tossed her onto a pool table and when they forcibly penetrated her.  Heck, if she's breathing or has a pulse if she's still warm, that's all the 'consent' I need.  

Well, OJ got off, so nothing should surprise any of us.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top