Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2004 11:15:41 AM EDT
Outrage as KISS player mouths off on Muslims
May 14, 2004 - 1:17PM

Mouthing off ... KISS bass guitarist Gene Simmons.

KISS bass player Gene Simmons has caused an uproar among Australia's Muslim community by launching an attack on Islamic culture while in Melbourne.

The lizard-tongued rock god who is touring Australia with the world's most enduring glam rock band launched an attack on Muslim extremists during an interview on Melbourne's 3AW radio - including comments which were labelled inaccurate.

"Extremism believes that it's okay to strap bombs on to your children and send them to paradise and whatever else and to behead people," he said yesterday.

The Israeli-born US musician went on to say Islam was a "vile culture" that treated women worse than dogs.

Muslim women had to walk behind their men and were not allowed to be educated or own houses, he said.

"Your dog, however, can walk side by side, your dog is allowed to have its own dog house... you can send your dog to school to learn tricks, sit, beg, do all that stuff - none of the women have that advantage."

He went on to say the west was under threat.

"This is a vile culture and if you think for a second that it's going to just live in the sands of God's armpit you've got another thing coming," he said.

"They want to come and live right where you live and they think that you're evil."

Simmons said the United Nations approach did not work and the west had to "speak softly and carry a big stick".

The radio station today fielded calls from Muslims upset at the comments, including Australian Muslim of the year Susan Carland, who said Australian Muslims rejected extremism and did not fit Simmons' stereotype.

Ms Carland said she had two degrees, was doing her honours and "certainly do not walk behind my husband".

Chairman of the Islamic Council of Victoria Yasser Soliman said Simmons' comments were "very unfortunate".

"He's very famous obviously and popular and, as a result, influential," he said.

"Mixing the entertainment world with the political and religious world is a minefield."

He said Simmons had begun by talking about extremists but had gone on to vilify the entire Muslim culture.

"A number of his claims regarding women and what they are allowed to do and not do are wrong - Islam teaches the opposite," he said.

Simmons had a right to free speech, but this had to be balanced against the damage done to innocent people, he said.

"I think it would be good for overseas speakers and commentators to be given some sort of advice in regards to our vilification laws here," he said.

"They leave and go back to where they arrived from, but they leave behind a big mess that we have to live with."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/14/1084289868279.html
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, he IS only half-right...

As I recall, it's a local CUSTOM that women wear what they wear in the mid-east, etc. Problem is, that stupid custom kind of got hung on a couple other things, so now people think it's islam that edicts that women will be chaste and hidden, and not some ignorant ass-backwards culture's customs.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
He should have brought up Gallipoli; the ANZAC/Muslim closed cage match of 1915.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Australian Muslim of the year Susan Carland

…"Australian Muslim of the year"!

… that county is SO f**ked .

Andy
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
"and this is why we hate all Jews"

yet another comment by the Chairman of the Islamic Council of Victoria, Yasser Soliman
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#5]
good for Gene, speak your mind against extremism and get bashed, preach anti war/american and no one says shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If muslims dont want to be stereotyped maybe they should stand up side by side with the US and fight these extemists instead of putting there head between there legs and cowering. In Falluja , a city of 300,000 people, ALL muslims , none of them are helping us fight extemists. Heck the only thing most muslim countries are contributing to the war is insurgentcy or the harboring of criminals.  If sooo many Iraqis want us in Iraq, why are they not helping us more with this BS.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Gene knows first hand, he his Jewish and lived in Israel as a kid!

If I only could have had a tongue like his when I was in High School, I could have licked alot of PIE!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Gene Simmons is an expert on treating women like dogs. He should be qualified to make such an assessment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...I could have licked alot of PIE!

Tech, we'd never have gotten any work done! We'd have been mobbed!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I could have licked alot of PIE!

Tech, we'd never have gotten any work done! We'd have been mobbed!

Mobbed to death by PIE, died licking!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't fuck with us!

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
If Gene could put that speech to music, I think we'd have a number #1 hit on the Billboard Top 40.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Gene Simmons is an expert on treating women like dogs. He should be qualified to make such an assessment.

Qualifying statements seem to need to be done ad nauseum.  He first states that it is "extremists" that are the issue but when he fails to re-iterate each and every time that it is "extremists" they claim he is broad brushing the whole culture/religion.........

Very willing dogs.......
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So how'd your plans for the strip club ever work out?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"This is a vile culture and if you think for a second that it's going to just live in the sands of God's armpit you've got another thing coming," he said.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Simmons is absolutely right. The top imam of Saudi Arabia, the one that delivers sermons at the Grand Mosque in Mecca said after the 3/11 train bombings in Madrid "This is a clear message to Crusaders and Jews to convert to Islam".  No, it's a clear message Muslims are out of control and extremely dangerous fanatics.  So please, don't whine to us and tell us Islam is actually everything nice and good, and that we think it's bad because we're intolerant, ignorant or bigoted.  That might work on the mush-headed ones who believe multiculturalism dogma and relativism, but to people who actually read history and LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR OWN RELIGIOUS TEACHERS PREACH AND WHAT THE KORAN ACTUALLY SAYS, not what your westernized PR spokesmen say, a very clear picture emerges of what Islam is all about.

If Muslims are tired of people like Gene Simmons lumping ordinary Muslims in with extremist Muslims, don't blame DEFEND the extremists, DENOUNCE THEM!  Stop sending them money.  Stop whining like victims, and take control of your faith.  Stop inviting neo-Nazis and pro-terrorism Imams to your conferences.  Stop calling for Islamic domination of the West.  Without doing that, we can only assume you're on the side of the extremists, and thus our enemies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Time to go out and buy a Kiss CD!

Outstanding!

Tj
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

As I recall, it's a local CUSTOM that women wear what they wear in the mid-east, etc. Problem is, that stupid custom kind of got hung on a couple other things, so now people think it's islam that edicts that women will be chaste and hidden, and not some ignorant ass-backwards culture's customs.

correct.  Arabic cultures are not identical to Islamic teachings.  But most arabs cannot tell them apart (or too dumb to tell them apart).

Indonesia has the largest muslim population in the world.  Look at how muslim women live there.  Then compare to the living conditions of women in most arab countries.  The difference is very astounding.  Also look at Malaysia and Brunei.  One more thing: Indonesian President today is a woman!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Never have been much of a KISS fan. Now, at least, I'm a Gene Simmons fan!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
i did like some of the 80's kiss music, but now i am a bigger fan
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't bother to read anything anyone has to say about Gene Simmons, let alone anything he's spouting, I just want to add that he is a useless, psuedo-intellectual piece of work, not worthy to kiss my cat's ass, which he would do if paid enough money.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This once again clearly demonstrates that there are no peaceful mooslims.  Even the ones calling themselves peaceful take offense when someone speaks ill of an Islamic fundamentalist.  They are all on the same page with the same goal.

Go Gene.  Keep it up.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Gene is only saying the truth! It's a shame they guys at the Top wont speak it also. .

I was reminded of comments by British Government Employee Steve Moxon recently about the 'Religion of Peace'…

"An international alliance of Islamic Year Zeros, feverishly exporting death to 'infidel' and non-fundamentalist Muslim alike, by Kamikazes literally in their millions, who eventually will have to be silenced by nuclear weapons".

Andy
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Did someone say pie ?!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I see arab women around here all covered up.  Not a lot but I see them fairly regularly.  Must have brought the custom with them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Muslim Women aroudn here are always wearign the Head covering, walking with downcast eyes, and generally actign submissive........

there are a few in this building I am living in right now, the men will not look at me, my look of disgust and anger has apparently been picked up on

I always did like KISS, and if Gene is saying things liek this, Bully for him, 'bout time someone of some influence spoke the truth, just wish Bush and a few other leaders woudl see the truth of the complete muslim culture
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#31]
He's a Rock Star, but that does'nt mean he's a dummy.
The Israeli-born US musician went on to say Islam was a "vile culture" that treated women worse than dogs.

Muslim women had to walk behind their men and were not allowed to be educated or own houses, he said.

"Your dog, however, can walk side by side, your dog is allowed to have its own dog house... you can send your dog to school to learn tricks, sit, beg, do all that stuff - none of the women have that advantage."(I think some muslims let their women walk in front, due to possible land mines)

He went on to say the west was under threat.

"They want to come and live right where you live and they think that you're evil."

Simmons said the United Nations approach did not work and the west had to "speak softly and carry a big stick"
This sounds accurate to me!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how'd your plans for the strip club ever work out?

My statement of observation was not an endictment upon his behavior. Simply just an observation of behavior that I resemble recognize. (or at least I did until Tweet kicked my ass a few times)

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#33]

"Mixing the entertainment world with the political and religious world is a minefield."

While I may find Mr. Simmons remarks entertaining, for the first time in my life I agree wholeheartedly with a Muslim.  I feel this way no matter what the morons say.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

While I may find Mr. Simmons remarks entertaining, for the first time in my life I agree wholeheartedly with a Muslim.  I feel this way no matter what the morons say.

I don't. He's telling Simmons, and any other entertainer who wants to speak out against Muslim extremists, that they do so at their own peril. In other words, if you're famous, and say bad things about us, we'll kill you. Don't think that that's not in the back of the lefties' heads in Hollyweird when they make their anti-war, pro-Muslim statements.

Another name for it: cowardice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

yeah, look at what happened to the dixy chicks.   and then look at what is happening to toby keith.   he ain't doing to bad

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't. He's telling Simmons, and any other entertainer who wants to speak out against Muslim extremists, that they do so at their own peril. In other words, if you're famous, and say bad things about us, we'll kill you. Don't think that that's not in the back of the lefties' heads in Hollyweird when they make their anti-war, pro-Muslim statements.

Another name for it: cowardice.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top