Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 7:18:06 PM EDT
Local cop on news says without Patriot Act they'd need probable cause and to get a warrant to tear the house apart looking for stuff.
www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=20723

FBI Goes Through Home in Allentown District

The FBI are going through a house on College Street in Buffalo's Allentown district.

Police were called to the home Wednesday, following the death of a woman in her 40s, apparently of natural causes. Buffalo police called the FBI when they saw suspicious things inside the home.

The home is occupied by Steven Kurtz, an arts professor at SUNY Buffalo. The FBI said Kurtz is not a suspect, and has not been charged.

"(Krutz) is an artist and some of the material (the FBI is looking at) for his performances, which makes perfect sense."

A special team of FBI agents came to town from Washington, D.C. They searched the home wearing protective suits.

on the tv they had some good shots of the guys in suits, but no pics on the website
but, looks like channel 7 does have pics
www.wkbw.com/morenews/morenews.asp#1

Flurry of police converge on College Street
May 13, 2004
Dozens of law enforcement officials made their way into 60 College Street. Hazmat, firfighters, FBI and detectives were all on the scene, and neighbors could not get to their homes.

Allentown resident Joe Maniaci tells 7 News, "It?s just pretty bizarre that its happening my upstairs neighbor is in his house and can't leave ."

It all started when Buffalo Police were called to the residence two days ago. Buffalo Police Commissioner Rocco Diina said, ?Our officers were investigating a death and they made some observations to the joint terrorism task force."

While police say the Tuesday death was from natural causes, another investigation began. FBI officials say Buffalo police thought the materials found in the basement may be hazardous. So it was all hands on deck today at the home of Steven Kurtz, an art professor at the University of Buffalo. Neighbors say they believe his basement may be an art studio.

? The owner of the residence indicates that he uses it as part of his performances...providing us information.? FBI officials say they are trying to determine what is in there. At this point they say they do not know.

FBI Agent Paul Moskal tells reporter Julie Fine, "We are erring on the side of caution. "

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]

FBI Agent Paul Moskal tells reporter Julie Fine, "We are erring on the side of showboating."
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No shit there is strange things in his house. Have you ever met an artist that was "normal"
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Good thing it wasen't the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That's odd...no mention of a dog.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit covered dildos?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
So much fun seems to go on around Buffalo, I nearly miss it there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hell, it was the Feebs who were in charge when the fires started...

Of course, the Looney Left will blame Bush...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the suspicious things, Anthrax or Ricin or chemicals.  Looks more like Chemicals to me but I wonder why they are in what looks like MOPP suits, MOPP suits really aren't the best in the world especially in enclosed space where concentration levels can get really high. But then again they do look "Tactical" in Desert pattern, if your a G-man you got to have that look!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
He probably had a bunch of stuff that was mistaken for a meth lab. Or he could have had a meth lab!Just my speculation, but what else would you expect from a long haired artist?

Oh yeah...FBI...Open up or we'll huff and we'll puff and we'll BURN your house down!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
seeing how he was an artist I bet it was paint related chemicals
either that or he was producing drugs.
makes me wish I was still at UB, although the school year is over so I guess it will be forgotten by the time normal classes start again and the student papers start being printed again
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Women in their 40's don't just die of natural causes.  Drugs were probably involved.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
and these asshats get the new JSLIST chem suits as well, I went into Iraq wearing a goddamn woodland suit that was 1 size too big because they didnt have enough of the right ones in inventory!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Local cop on news says without Patriot Act they'd need probable cause and to get a warrant to tear the house apart looking for stuff.

But...but...but...the PA propagandists were saying that it doesn't take away ANY rights.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone tell me what the purpose of quoting someone without adding anything means?  Is it like "what he said"... "+1"... "I like pie" what?  I see it so often it can't just be mistakes.. can it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
and these asshats get the new JSLIST chem suits as well, I went into Iraq wearing a goddamn woodland suit that was 1 size too big because they didnt have enough of the right ones in inventory!

That was the first thing I was thinking when I saw the pic. Our troops wearing woodland, when at home the JBT's get the good shit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone tell me what the purpose of quoting someone without adding anything means?  Is it like "what he said"... "+1"... "I like pie" what?  I see it so often it can't just be mistakes.. can it?

No one can tell you because you have no need to know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes thats basicley what it means as far as i can tell
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Women in their 40's don't just die of natural causes.

Wow, people in their 40's don't just die of natural causes! That's good to know, I'm getting close to 40.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Women in their 40's don't just die of natural causes.

Wow, people in their 40's don't just die of natural causes! That's good to know, I'm getting close to 40.

Amazing.

I saw a guy in his mid 40's die of a heart attack at a baseball game.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one can tell you because you have no need to know.

Oh son of a... !!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#22]
They may have just found the anthrax mailer.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
He probably had a bunch of stuff that was mistaken for a meth lab. Or he could have had a meth lab!Just my speculation, but what else would you expect from a long haired artist?

Oh yeah...FBI...Open up or we'll huff and we'll puff and we'll BURN your house down!

Acid
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It means, "I agree, too."
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
ahh, looks like he joined the staff after I left based on a bio I saw. good
I was laughing at the news people last night. "it poses no risk to neighbors" as they show footage of guys coming out in chem suits and going through some sort of decontamination spray

www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040514/1035251.asp

ALLENTOWN
Hazmat teams search prof's home
By T.J. PIGNATARO
News Staff Reporter
5/14/2004

Click to view larger picture

DEREK GEE/Buffalo News
Agents with the FBI's hazardous-materials response unit remove suspicious biological material from a College Street home Thursday.

An Allentown street was closed off for more than eight hours Thursday as hazardous-materials teams from the FBI searched a University at Buffalo art professor's home and seized suspected biological agents.

The College Street home of Steven Kurtz, an artist and associate professor in UB's art department, aroused suspicions after Buffalo police went there about 1 p.m. Tuesday to investigate the death of Kurtz's wife, Zell, 45.

Kurtz told dispatchers he found his wife unconscious and not breathing in bed. His wife was dead when emergency crews and police arrived.

Authorities said they suspect the death had nothing to do with materials inside the house. It appears she died of heart failure, officials said.

But what they found inside the house raised red flags, officials said.

"The first responders noted what appeared to be hazardous materials inside," said Paul Moskal, special agent for the FBI.

Moskal said they are unsure what the materials are but believe they are some type of biological agents or bacteria.

The Joint Terrorism Task Force was contacted immediately.

Kurtz told authorities the biological agents he was cultivating in the house were being used for his artwork and agreed to let authorities search the house.

Wednesday evening, Kurtz was taken out to dinner by the FBI and put up in a hotel overnight. He has not been charged.

"He's been cooperative and helpful to the investigation. He told us what he knew to be there and what we could expect to find there," Moskal said.

Federal authorities consulted with Erie County Medical Center, the state Department of Health, and FBI chemical and biological experts, and obtained a sealed search warrant for the house early Thursday morning. They began executing the warrant at about noon.

College Street was cordoned off from Maryland to Allen streets as agents from the FBI's hazardous-materials teams from Pittsburgh and Quantico, Va., began their search. The agents wore white biohazard suits with masks, headgear and breathing devices, along with orange rubber boots, as they searched the house and collected material.

Hazmat crews from the Buffalo Fire Department were stationed outside the house and helped decontaminate federal agents as they emerged.

"Until they do the testing, they don't know what they have. We're handling this as the real thing until proven otherwise," said Maureen Dempsey, an FBI spokeswoman.

"We don't believe it's anything that poses a danger outside of the house," Moskal said.

One agent Kurtz is believed to use in his artwork is a strain of E. coli, according to a 2002 article published about the Critical Arts Ensemble, an artistic group that Kurtz helped found.

Further investigation is continuing.

Kurtz was not at the house Thursday evening. The FBI will await laboratory findings on the agents before deciding whether criminal charges will be levied. That could take a few days or up to several weeks.

The search was called off for the night at about 8:30. A Buffalo police cruiser and officer kept watch over the scene overnight. Agents were expected to return and continue their search this morning.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Would the FBI care about drugs? I think the other guys that suggested bio weapon crap are closer. Or the feds fucked up again.

Buffalo is (was) home of a bunch of al queda wannabees for any tin foil hat types out there trying to dope this out.

Well, even now, the Bureau does, in fact, care about and work drugs...just not as much as they used to. I'm not saying it WAS drugs, just that it certainly could have been.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Why no officer, I dont notice a strange chemical smell coming from my basement.  Yes officer, my storage shed does explode pretty often...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top