Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 4:10:14 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a Remington 700 that he likes, but isn't happy with the trigger. A bit too heavy.

Was wondering if somebody could suggest a good replacement? It's only going to be used for hunting, so about 3-4 pounds is plenty light.

I checked Brownells, and there was a complete trigger houseing that looked pretty good, and that was adjustable. I can't remember the brand name, but it was about $115 to $125 (depending on which trigger pull wieght you wanted). I'm leaning towards it, but am wondering if there it is any good. Also, if it is very easy to install.

Or if anyone had another good suggestion?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Jewell, hands down. They make a hunting and target grade triggers. The target will adjust from 2lb down to 6oz. The hunting will adj from 5lb (I think) to 2.5lb.
Go with the hunting. Don't lube it and it will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I went online to Sniper Country's web site.   They have instructions to set a Rem 700's trigger.  These instructions were simple and easy to follow.  I adjusted my trigger to a 3.5 lb pull, no creep.  It took me about 30 minutes.  I've used it for over four years now and it's still right on the money.

Here's the link.  Scroll down to the "How to..." section.

www.snipercountry.com/articles.htm
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
As a designated gunsmith, I have installed both Timney and Shilen triggers. The Timney is nice and comes with the safety assembly included. It also has the wide target trigger face. The Shilen requires the installation of a safety assembly from the factory trigger. It has a standard profile trigger face. The nice thing about the way the Shilen is made, it pretty much eliminates the safety off AD that may happen in 700s. As for the Jewel, it is the opinion of some tactical rifle users that these triggers are delicate and prone to failure if subjected to hard use in a dirty or dusty area.

Peace be with you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went online to Sniper Country's web site.   They have instructions to set a Rem 700's trigger.  These instructions were simple and easy to follow.  I adjusted my trigger to a 3.5 lb pull, no creep.  It took me about 30 minutes.  I've used it for over four years now and it's still right on the money.

Here's the link.  Scroll down to the "How to..." section.

www.snipercountry.com/articles.htm

I've done that procedure, but you MUST follow the instructions carefully and use a trigger pull gauge. The factory 700 triggers are not made to be set below 2 lbs. and doing so would result in an unsafe gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top