Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 2:09:47 PM EDT
i'm afraid i don't know how to post a poll (computer newb), but here are your choices...

Honda CBR1000RR
Suzuki GSX1000R
Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
Kawasaki ZX-10R
Yamaha YZF-R1
Aprilia Mille R
Ducati 998R
Buell XB12R Firebolt

the reason i ask is because i've been thinking of getting one myself. i currently have a suzuki cruiser and was thinking about getting the SV1000S in a faired version. it's a V-twin, and almost all of the above are inlines. so my question is, if i'm gonna get a sportbike, i might as well get the ULTIMATE sport bike, which would be...

i'd like to hear from those of you who have experience with these machines. most of my riding will be cruising through the woods or running around town. no hardcore track work. what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, the performance envelope of each far  exceeds my riding ability.  The Hayabusa is probably the ultimate steet bike, although the others could probably beat in handily in racetrack conditions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
They all have too much power for the street.  I have a CBR 600 F4i and I can't use all of it's power on the street without breaking the speed limit 3x over.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now?

The GSXR1000.

Who knows what it will be tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If I were going to buy a street superbike I would get the Honda CBR1000.

If I were going to buy a bike for looks I would get the Yamaha R1.

If I were going to buy a bike for performance then I would get the Suzuki GSXR1000.

If I wanted a sport touring bike then I would get the Hayabusa.

If I had the money I would get the Aprilia RSV 1000R Nera.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're just gonna ride through town and there's no track time, I'd suggest the Honda. Valve adjustment intervals are twice as long as the others and I think it's the most comfortable of the list.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If I were going to buy a street superbike I would get the Honda CBR1000.

If I were going to buy a bike for looks I would get the Yamaha R1.

If I were going to buy a bike for performance then I would get the Suzuki GSXR1000.

If I wanted a sport touring bike then I would get the Hayabusa.

If I had the money I would get the Aprilia RSV 1000R Nera.

Damn, I actually agree with you. Is the world coming to an end?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
nobody is ready for a 1000 cc sportbike coming off of a cruiser.  it's like teaching somebody to shoot with a 10/22 and then handing them an m60 and tell em to go have fun.  my advice is to get a f4i or a yzf600 (NOT the r6) and go take a beginner track school.  

- the wet blanket  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Ducati 999 is one sweet-ass bike.

So is the Hayabusa.

Don't bother with the Buell, it's got less power than a 600cc bike, and costs more.

I'm not a very big fan of Honda personally.

The Gixxer 1k is a good way to an early grave.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
nobody is ready for a 1000 cc sportbike coming off of a cruiser.  it's like teaching somebody to shoot with a 10/22 and then handing them an m60 and tell em to go have fun.  my advice is to get a f4i or a yzf600 (NOT the r6) and go take a beginner track school.  

- the wet blanket  

I've actually been thinking maybe I need a sportbike myself.  I have gone looking for a track course near me and haven't found squat.  I really would want to be able to ride the thing properly, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
That is Gaaahhhaaayyy!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking at a Hayabusa as my next bike...coming from an R1.  The Hayabusa feels like a Barcolounger with a jetpack.  But it's not going to win in any twisties against a comparable rider (key distinction).

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ducati 999 is one sweet-ass bike.

That would be my choice. Nothing looks or sounds like a Ducati.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The bussa is the fastest bike sold, period. The gixxer 1000 accelerates the fastest, and handles great.  But you said you didn't want it for racing, so realistically you should probaly go with a 600. A good 600 sportbike is far and away faster than even the huge cruisers and the handling is quick and responsive. For most people the 600s are best. I know people who actually run their 1000s on the edge but they will probably die from it some day.

Go test drive one, Seriously. Lots of guys will even let you ride theirs if you ask. You'll probably find that the 600s are enough for you. If you punch it you'll be doing 100 before you know it. Alot of people get scared by them and just stick to the cruisers for cruising. Sportbikes aren't real comfortable for long rides anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sportbikes aren't real comfortable for long rides anyway.

this is largely what keeps me away from them.  I spent nearly 4 hours on Saturday on my Sporty, and I think a crotch-rocket would kill me after 4 hours.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i'm afraid i don't know how to post a poll (computer newb), but here are your choices...

Honda CBR1000RR
Suzuki GSX1000R
Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
Kawasaki ZX-10R
Yamaha YZF-R1
Aprilia Mille R
Ducati 998R
Buell XB12R Firebolt

the reason i ask is because i've been thinking of getting one myself. i currently have a suzuki cruiser and was thinking about getting the SV1000S in a faired version. it's a V-twin, and almost all of the above are inlines. so my question is, if i'm gonna get a sportbike, i might as well get the ULTIMATE sport bike, which would be...

i'd like to hear from those of you who have experience with these machines. most of my riding will be cruising through the woods or running around town. no hardcore track work. what do you guys think?

None of the above the Honda RC-51 1000cc V racing twin.  Bad ass bike with a shitload of tourque
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If just for riding around i'd look at the Suzuki SV650S or the 1000S.  Instead of an inline 4 they have a V twin that sounds a lot deeper and doesn't have that bumblebee sound.  I've test drove a 650S and I love them.. when I get some good money it will be the one I buy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
HAHA!
It's such a bad-ass bike that Honda ditched it for the CBR1000R.
You better be ready to open your wallet to get at least Ducati 999 performance out of it.

Quoted:
None of the above the Honda RC-51 1000cc V racing twin.  Bad ass bike with a shitload of tourque

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to get a good response from a bunch of motorcycle people register for an account at SpeedTV and ask the question on the Speed Motorcycle Forum.

There are a few people there who have been where you are and who will give you an unbiased answer.

insider.speedtv.com/viewforum.php?f=10
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Straight line speed?

None of the above -> Boss Hoss (275-405HP. V8 - it's not just a veggie drink)

Actual all around performance: GSXR 1000 (P.S. It is correctly written GSXR-1000, not GSX-1000R. The R-on-the-end is a Honda thing)...

I ride older Suzukis, I am very impressed with the reliability of the GS-series engine (the GSXR & GSX are descendants of Suzuki's 1977-1987 'GS' series engine design, in a similar fashion to GM's basic V8 design going back decades. Both are basically bulletproof)...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'll rank your choices from least to most satisfying. The only bikes on this list I haven't ridden (and I mean ridden as hard as possible/safely while not on the racetrack) are the new R1, CBR1000RR and ZX10R and the new Mille.

Buell XB12: lots of fun, enough scoot to get out of it's own way, it's a revelation to anyone who has never ridden a jap sport bike.

Hayabusa: handles ok, definitely the best choice if slapping a bitch on the back. Would be kind of boring without all the power. Heavy, Very Heavy.

Mille R: I rode the last iteration of thois bike. Handled well, seemed top heavy. Did what it is supposed to de, but wasn't a real standout. Bike wasn't properly set up when I rode it but I don't think it would have changed my opinion.

Ducati: Handle well but you'll be taking out a mortgage the first time you get your ass handed to you by a 600 or 750. If you are used to going fast on a jap bike, this will take a change of style and some time to get used to it before you can make good time.  Some rave about them after riding, some think they are a real let down. I think they are ok, just not worth the money.

Ok, monster bikes that I havne't ridden (yet):

CBR1000RR: the safe option. Easy-ish to manage, handles well. Not as lively as it's rivals and down on power noticeably.

GSXR1000: Wild Ride, very competent, has no glaring flaws. Looks like every other 600 and 750 GSXR though..

ZX10R: Hairy ride!! Great power delivery, good handling and good brakes. Still need to sort out the trans problems. Too much power in too little of a motorcycle for most riders-but a ball if you can enjoy it in small bursts.

R1: The best package over all. Power is higher on the rev range than the 10R but has identcal peak power, but the chassis is better, it's more comfortable and has looks that will get you laid, guaranteed. It's a bike you can park in your garage and won't look at it like a kiddy bike in 10 years. A buddy of mine has had his for a few months, I haven't had a shot on it yet. Can't wait.

Dave

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want a pretty decent opinion, subscribe and read the latest edition of the Motorcycle.com literbike shootout. They're usually very fair in their reviews and give you a couple of different opinions. The GSXR1K has been king of the hill for a while, but the new ZX-10R appears to have knocked it off it's perch with the R1 close behind.

There's obviously more to it than just pure numbers. It depends on what you're asking of the bike. Race? Commute? Occasional twisties? Comfort level? The bikes are very close in performance, and I would get the one which best fits your most important criteria. Thats's why I think the MO reviews are very good - they tell you more than just the lap times.

I bought a ZX-9R a few years ago, even though it was a few tenths slower than the competition. Why? It fit me better. Spend your money wisely....

Edited to add: I just re-read your post and noticed the "no track" comment. You might be in the sameboat as me. A dealer may not let you ride one, but at least you can sit on them in the showroom. You have several distinctly different kinds of bikes listed:
4 cylinder Superbikes (CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, ZX-10R, R1), 4 cylinder Sportbike Tourer (GSXR1300R),  2 cylinder Superbikes (Mille R, 999R, XB2R).

I personally do not care for V-twin sportbikes. They have more torque down low, which gives them slightly better drive off the corners at lower RPM's, but I really hate the rev limiter cutting in just as things are getting going. The inline 4's are still screaming above 10K RPM. The Busa is fastest in the topspeed dept. but a differnt animal than the other superbikes - much more comfy, but not as good on the track. It's throttle is very light. Mine takes more effort to twist and it really freaked me out when I rode a 'Busa. As far as the inline 4's are concerned - pick one you like best.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]
awesome. thanks for all the well-informed comments, guys. i had no idea there were so many sportbike junkies in here!!

i got to sit on a red R1 last weekend. probably the most beautiful bike i've ever seen. i'm leaning toward that or the suzuki SV1000S. i know, they're apples and oranges, but for the kind of riding i'm going to be doing, i don't think it'll matter that much. for mountain roads and around-town points, it'll either be complete overkill (R1) or decent fun, but not "scare yourself shitless" fun (suzuki).

thanks again for the comments. now to read up on all the online reviews you guys have pointed me toward...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Just remember that a lot of what drives people to buy a certain bike is subjective.. Some buy for looks, some on performance figures, some for durability etc. Assuming you already know how to ride, the best advice I can give you is to get the mostest bike of a class that you can afford, then pick the sexiest one of the bunch. For me and apparently you, that's the R1.

I used to have a Bimota SB8R, an Italian bike that uses the same base enging as the SV1000, TL1000S, TL1000R and DL1000. It's a pretty good motor, but prone to oil leaks. My motor had great peak power, definitely top end over midrange. Your motor in the SV1000 will be set up for midrange oomph to make it tame for the type of riding the bike is meant for. What this means is that in 5 years, you'll have a bike that you have totally outgrown, and has dated styling. You can ride well and hide a bike's age, but you can't make an old bike look new.

I'd pony up the extra money, get the R1 and have a bike that you will WANT to get up early on a Sun. morning to ride. The SV will be a lot of fun, the R1's thrill will last longer. There's a bit of respect that goes with ownership of a full blown 1000cc superbike that you won't get riding a sport tourer. Park your R1 at a hangout spot and you are instantly cool. Park the SV and the BWM crowd will be your friends!

You only live once....

Dave
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#26]
what ka3b said except if i had money it would be the ducati 996.  Also my CBR 929 has been really good to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
You'll be very happy with the SV1000. Purchase handlebar risers though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Just remember that a lot of what drives people to buy a certain bike is subjective.. Some buy for looks, some on performance figures, some for durability etc. Assuming you already know how to ride, the best advice I can give you is to get the mostest bike of a class that you can afford, then pick the sexiest one of the bunch. For me and apparently you, that's the R1.

I used to have a Bimota SB8R, an Italian bike that uses the same base enging as the SV1000, TL1000S, TL1000R and DL1000. It's a pretty good motor, but prone to oil leaks. My motor had great peak power, definitely top end over midrange. Your motor in the SV1000 will be set up for midrange oomph to make it tame for the type of riding the bike is meant for. What this means is that in 5 years, you'll have a bike that you have totally outgrown, and has dated styling. You can ride well and hide a bike's age, but you can't make an old bike look new.

I'd pony up the extra money, get the R1 and have a bike that you will WANT to get up early on a Sun. morning to ride. The SV will be a lot of fun, the R1's thrill will last longer. There's a bit of respect that goes with ownership of a full blown 1000cc superbike that you won't get riding a sport tourer. Park your R1 at a hangout spot and you are instantly cool. Park the SV and the BWM crowd will be your friends!

You only live once....

Dave

oh man...your last line reminded me of pretty much the ultimate justificatoin for getting all the damn firearms i already own...this could be trouble.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I used to have a Bimota SB8R, an Italian bike that uses the same base enging as the SV1000, TL1000S, TL1000R and DL1000. It's a pretty good motor, but prone to oil leaks.

Dave

Your Bimota had the TL1000R engine in it. The other bikes(SV,DL) have MODIFIED versions of the TL engine. It has been improved upon since your Bimota and the TL were built. I can promise you that the SV engine is NOT prone to leaks.

For further details on the SV go to www.svrider.com.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Judging from the tone of your post, I would say please do not buy any of the bikes you listed.  When is this shit going to end... every swinging dick who can manage to keep a 2 wheeled vehicle upright wants the "baddest mothofucking bike!" every year.  Then they go wobble around corners but go "real fast" in a striaght line.  Nice buddy, like we need more squids with squared off tires on their "ultimate" bikes (or worse, flattened on the freeway because they just had to cut through traffic and be cool).   Now, I imagine some of you may think I'm being harsh.  But I know a lot of guys who ride motorcycles (including me) and this stuff gets old.  More than 50% of the riders out there do not belong on the bikes they have.  Go ahead and pick the "ultimate" bike, I will bet you $1000 I would lap a racetrack faster on a 600cc sportbike (unless you're the next Nicky Hayden and I don't know it ).  I've ridden sportbikes for 7 years now, crashed once... you want to know what the ultimate bike is?... Honda VFR, Yamaha FJR1300, or Kawasaki ZZR1200.  Ride smart and keep the racing on the track.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
ZX10R: Hairy ride!! Great power delivery, good handling and good brakes. Still need to sort out the trans problems. Too much power in too little of a motorcycle for most riders-but a ball if you can enjoy it in small bursts.

Have you actually ridden one, or are you going by what Motorcyclist said about the prototypes they tested?  The tranny problems are completely fixed in production models.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to have a Bimota SB8R, an Italian bike that uses the same base enging as the SV1000, TL1000S, TL1000R and DL1000. It's a pretty good motor, but prone to oil leaks.

Dave

Your Bimota had the TL1000R engine in it. The other bikes(SV,DL) have MODIFIED versions of the TL engine. It has been improved upon since your Bimota and the TL were built. I can promise you that the SV engine is NOT prone to leaks.

For further details on the SV go to www.svrider.com.

awesome site. thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Judging from the tone of your post, I would say please do not buy any of the bikes you listed.  When is this shit going to end... every swinging dick who can manage to keep a 2 wheeled vehicle upright wants the "baddest mothofucking bike!" every year.  Then they go wobble around corners but go "real fast" in a striaght line.  Nice buddy, like we need more squids with squared off tires on their "ultimate" bikes (or worse, flattened on the freeway because they just had to cut through traffic and be cool).   Now, I imagine some of you may think I'm being harsh.  But I know a lot of guys who ride motorcycles (including me) and this stuff gets old.  More than 50% of the riders out there do not belong on the bikes they have.  Go ahead and pick the "ultimate" bike, I will bet you $1000 I would lap a racetrack faster on a 600cc sportbike (unless you're the next Nicky Hayden and I don't know it ).  I've ridden sportbikes for 7 years now, crashed once... you want to know what the ultimate bike is?... Honda VFR, Yamaha FJR1300, or Kawasaki ZZR1200.  Ride smart and keep the racing on the track.  

interesting that you have no clue who i am or how much riding experience i have, and yet you immediately jump to the conclusion that i'm just another wannabe newb on a motorcycle looking to score style points on a hot sportbike without previously racking up the miles and saddle time required to master such a machine. look, "buddy," i post on this site to get advice on stuff, like guns and other hobbies, from like-minded people with experience and not a little neighborly fellowship. you obviously post here to antagonize, patronize and bitch at people anonymously for no other reason than to feed your own ego. as pathetic as that is, i can understand the impulse. but i can't abide by these snide, uneducated, ridiculous comments by members such as yourself. read my post again: i am not interested in racing. i'm interested in getting a sportbike. and, as i have the disposable income to buy whatever sportbike i wish, i might as well get the best. and where better to get advice on my choice than from people who have experience with these machines. just about every single one of these posts has been insightful and friendly. if all you have to bring to a discussion is your attitude, do us all a favor and save your breath. there, i've said my peace. i'm done with you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Ive been on just about everything and the most overlying factor I can come to is fuck ducati.  Fuck desmodromic heads, fuck that grabby ass dry clutch, fuck that uncomfortable ride position, fuck the ducati attitude and most importantly fuck the price.

Ive owned a bunch of things and I currently ride a 2k1 gsxr1k that was poked and stroked with the 2mm over pistons and a good amount of head work.  It pumps out 226hp before the 45 shot.  

None of the literbikes are suitable for cruiser to sport bike converts. None.  Its a big difference.  Get a twin and learn how a true sport bike handles before you pour on monster power.

Ducati - can lick my shiney metal ass
Aprillia - Expensive and very nice but nothing super great
CBR1000 - screw honda.  Its a mediocre bike at best
GSXR1000 - its like riding and angry bull.  Itll try to buck you off every chance it gets but its a real blast while your on.
R1 - Eh... Always playing catch up to the gixxers.
RC51 - decent twin, the only honda I would ever own, ever.
TLR1000 - good bike but dated.  solid performer if you dont expect to blow anyones doors off
SV650/1000 - excellent stepping stone to a super bike.
Hayabusa - its like driving a bus.  It IS a sport tourer.
Honda intercepter - theyre V4 800's.  They dont really fit any niche except "its a motorcycle".  Not stunning at anything.
EX250/500 - crap bikes but they hold thier value like a diamond and theyre excellent ways to learn.
zx10 - seen a couple, handed them thier asses and got the T shirt.  Nothing special but I havent twisted the throttle on one yet.

Go over to sportbikes.net and poke around in the newbie section.  Lots of good info from seasoned riders.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ive been on just about everything and the most overlying factor I can come to is fuck ducati.  Fuck desmodromic heads, fuck that grabby ass dry clutch, fuck that uncomfortable ride position, fuck the ducati attitude and most importantly fuck the price.

Ive owned a bunch of things and I currently ride a 2k1 gsxr1k that was poked and stroked with the 2mm over pistons and a good amount of head work.  It pumps out 226hp before the 45 shot.  

None of the literbikes are suitable for cruiser to sport bike converts. None.  Its a big difference.  Get a twin and learn how a true sport bike handles before you pour on monster power.

GSXR1000 - its like riding and angry bull.  Itll try to buck you off every chance it gets but its a real blast while your on.
TLR1000 - good bike but dated.  solid performer if you dont expect to blow anyones doors off
Honda intercepter - theyre V4 800's.  They dont really fit any niche except "its a motorcycle".  Not stunning at anything.
EX250/500 - crap bikes but they hold thier value like a diamond and theyre excellent ways to learn.
zx10 - seen a couple, handed them thier asses and got the T shirt.  Nothing special but I havent twisted the throttle on one yet.

Go over to sportbikes.net and poke around in the newbie section.  Lots of good info from seasoned riders.

There is just too much bias and/or ignorance in this post for me to know where to begin.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree about the RC51. Gobs of torque and 118 hp to boot. I love mine.
Here's a rather large pic of me at a club track day last year.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is just too much bias and/or ignorance in this post for me to know where to begin.

What are you going to cry now because you ride a honda and some one made fun of you?  Or I bet you ride a duc and you're really pissed that someone has dissented at your european engineering.

What have I said that angers you?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What are you going to cry now because you ride a honda and some one made fun of you?  Or I bet you ride a duc and you're really pissed that someone has dissented at your european engineering.

What have I said that angers you?

Wrong all three counts: don't ride either and I'm not angry but you're arrogance shows through in this post as well as the first.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I call it like I see it.  There are more misconceptions about motorcycles than there are about guns.  If most of my life riding and a decade of working in a bike shop has taught me anything its see for yourself.  Twist the throttle yourself and throw it on a dyno.  The numbers dont lie.  As long as you use the same dyno, its and excellent metering tool.  Why dont you correct my post if you disaggree so much?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The bussa is the fastest bike sold, period.  

are you talking about top speed?    

and who cares?

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#41]
gah, wish i could still delete.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#42]
STILL wish i could delete

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

interesting that you have no clue who i am or how much riding experience i have, and yet you immediately jump to the conclusion that i'm just another wannabe newb on a motorcycle looking to score style points on a hot sportbike without previously racking up the miles and saddle time required to master such a machine. look, "buddy," i post on this site to get advice on stuff, like guns and other hobbies, from like-minded people with experience and not a little neighborly fellowship. you obviously post here to antagonize, patronize and bitch at people anonymously for no other reason than to feed your own ego. as pathetic as that is, i can understand the impulse. but i can't abide by these snide, uneducated, ridiculous comments by members such as yourself. read my post again: i am not interested in racing. i'm interested in getting a sportbike. and, as i have the disposable income to buy whatever sportbike i wish, i might as well get the best. and where better to get advice on my choice than from people who have experience with these machines. just about every single one of these posts has been insightful and friendly. if all you have to bring to a discussion is your attitude, do us all a favor and save your breath. there, i've said my peace. i'm done with you.

sir osis- chill out some.   what he says makes sense.   you say: "i might as well get the best"   --- that doesn't have to mean getting a liter bike, you could get the gsxr600 and you would probably have more fun on it than either the R1 or ZX.   and you wouldn't feel like ANYONE had a higher tech bike than you.   Nor would you have to feel that anyone had a "better" bike than you.

ps- the absolute best place to learn how to ride a sportbike is the track.

pps- the best thing to do to keep you safe on the street is to take a MSF course.   cheapest money you will ever spend.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
and you wouldn't feel like ANYONE had a higher tech bike than you.   Nor would you have to feel that anyone had a "better" bike than you.

and if that's the only reason you're buying "the best" (which seems to be the case here) you really ought to check your priorities.

Buy a 600, you'll love it.  Everytime I see somebody on one of the liter bikes (other than the Duc) all I can think is "there goes one insecure little twit".
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and you wouldn't feel like ANYONE had a higher tech bike than you.   Nor would you have to feel that anyone had a "better" bike than you.

and if that's the only reason you're buying "the best" (which seems to be the case here) you really ought to check your priorities.

Buy a 600, you'll love it.  Everytime I see somebody on one of the liter bikes (other than the Duc) all I can think is "there goes one insecure little twit".

C'mon norman, don't agree with me.   I don't know how to respond  

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C'mon norman, don't agree with me.   I don't know how to respond  

sorry, I'll endeavor to do better in the future.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#47]
gixxer 1000 if you like curves, if not the busa is the king
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#48]
oye...

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#49]
you guys are the best. i'm gonna thin seriously about getting a 600 instead of a liter bike, that is, if i go inline four. if i go v-twin, it'll probably be the sv1000s v-twin. thanks again for all the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top