Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 11:07:32 AM EDT
If you were caught at the border?  Would they fine you and confiscate the gun and bar entry?  Throw your ass into Canadian jail?

What if the police discovered you inside Canada?  What's the penalty?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Last I knew of, they allowed semi auto rifles, but limited their magazines to like 3 rds or so.

So caught with a EBR might not be any different than being caught with a Remington M700.

But you may be in deep kaw-kaw if you're caught with a normal capacity magazine.

But maybe I'm all wrong, too.   I've never seriously looked into going to Canada.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked ino this when I moved from Florida to here . This info is 9 years out of date , but at that time.... As a U.S. citizen you can not bring a handgun across the border . End of trip right there . You can not bring rifle mags that are over 5 rounds . Best bet is to not bother . If you are in Canada and need a gun , they have a black market just like everywhere else .
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who lives in Toronto and here is the scoop as he related it to me:

AR15's fall into a class of weapons that are "Restricted" (along with handguns). In order to have a "Restricted" weapon, you must have the appropriate Canadian firearms license. Even with the license, the only places you can have these weapons is at home or at a gun club you are a member of. That's it.

The mag capacity for centerfire rifles is limited to 5 rnds. There is no such thing as a grandfather clause.... all mags above 5 rounds would be illegal. Handguns are limited to 10 rnds.

The only way to enter Canada with a firearm is to get pre-approval from the Canadian Firearms Centre. If you are trying to take in a bolt action rifle or a shotgun for hunting, it's fairly easy. You just pay a small fee for a temp. license. However, if you are trying to bring in a handgun or Restricted firearm, you must be participating in a scheduled, sanctioned firearms competition at a gun club and you must provide info on where the gun will be stored etc. Plus pay the fee.

Needless to say if you try crossing the border with a restricted weapon and an illegal magazine,  you would be in a extremely deep doo-doo.

edited to add.......

Listen to Striker.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
About the only special thing I take with me on trips to Canada is:

My friends in BC like the stuff and it's cheaper to buy it here then it is there.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The word was floating around Michigan that the state was sharing CCW permits with the canucks so they could fuck with us when we went though.

I haven't gotten too much shit going though myself, but I usually hit the bridge in detroit or port huron so they are too rushed to screw with anyone because of the 500 semis backed up. I usually get the college looking girl in the booth who asks me why I am there (cool guy answer--cheap beer and totally nude slut dancers, w/whores to go in the phone book).

I look over there and sometimes and I wonder if our next land war will be with the PDR of Canada (or whatever the hell commie french land will call itself)
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The word was floating around Michigan that the state was sharing CCW permits with the canucks so they could fuck with us when we went though.

I haven't gotten too much shit going though myself, but I usually hit the bridge in detroit or port huron so they are too rushed to screw with anyone because of the 500 semis backed up. I usually get the college looking girl in the booth who asks me why I am there (cool guy answer--cheap beer and totally nude slut dancers, w/whores to go in the phone book).

I look over there and sometimes and I wonder if our next land war will be with the PDR of Canada (or whatever the hell commie french land will call itself)

War? Qubec?

They can't even forcably separate themselves from the rest of Canada - they are, after all, FRENCH... And they'd pick a fight with US because??

Anyway, the 'valuable' part of Canada (oil, gold, timber, etc) is the western part, IIRC - they have more in common with us than with the frenchies...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple oddities about US vs Canadian gun laws is that in Canada .22 rifles are exempt. 30rd Butler Creek mags are perfectly legal there while ILLEGAL here in the US due to the AWB. Also they have no import ban so Chinese AR's, European stuff like Sig rifles, are completely legal there. They are restricted to 10rds on rifles, 4" barrel length minimum on pistols though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I meant the state records
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't have CCW in Canada so that rumor is total BS.

I think what Happyshooter means is that Michigan is sharing a list of everyone with a CCW permit, so the Canadian border cops can give them extra 'special' attention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top