Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2004 9:42:04 PM EDT
I have been thinking and i have come to believe that the United States needs to return to the days of small militias. We should us Switzerland as an example. EVERYONE over the age of 21 should be required to own a military type assault rifle and be competent in its operation.

Our founding fathers envisioned this form of military. We should have a small standing army and a shitload of well organized non-government controlled militias. Then our nation would truly be secure. Today militias are strapped with the stigma of being white supremicist or terroristic in nature. This needs to change.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have been thinking and i have come to believe that the United States needs to return to the days of small militias. We should us Switzerland as an example. EVERYONE over the age of 21 should be required to own a military type assault rifle and be competent in its operation.

Our founding fathers envisioned this form of military. We should have a small standing army and a shitload of well organized non-government controlled militias. Then our nation would truly be secure. Today militias are strapped with the stigma of being white supremicist or terroristic in nature. This needs to change.

It's too late now, but if we had set up this system 100, 150 years ago then we wouldn't have the problems with anti-gun ninnies that we do now, because everyone would have had experience with them and see them merely as the tool they are.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a militia. They log onto AR15.com for training and discussion. Several times throughout the year, they meet for field training exercises.

Where you been?

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm talking about an extensive militia. I am sure the arfcom militia is well trained and the like, but how many people are in it? We need a militia that is 100 million strong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that it will never happen in the way you want it. Those in government, it doesn't matter if the democrats or republicans are in power, will always want to hold the monopoly in coercive force. Militias operating in the open with large memberships will always be infiltrated by feds and eventually be subject to efforts of agent provocateurs in the form of "confidential informants" to influence (legally entrap) the membership to commit illegal acts. This happened time and time again during the 90's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Oklahoma City bombing effectively killed any chances of a organized goverment sactioned militia in the U.S. At least it was one of the latest reasons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Won't work...

The US military derives it's power not from individual riflemen, but from heavy equipment & advanced technology.

The small militias would get steamrolled by any opposing force with armor, air, or heavy artillery support. Just look at the insurgents in Iraq: they may manage to kill a few soldiers in Humvees, but whenever they run up against a bunch of M1s or Bradleys, we see astronomical kill rates.

The system we have is the best one for the country. It has, after all, produced the best military force in the history of the world, after all...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm talking about an extensive militia. I am sure the arfcom militia is well trained and the like, but how many people are in it? We need a militia that is 100 million strong.

There aren't 100 million service-aged males in this country, red...

The population (all ages & genders) is only ~230mil, after all...

Better to have a 700,000 strong, tech & tank-heavy army than a human-wave militia force.  

For another example, see US vs Iraq, round #1.

3 million man army vs a few divisions of US armor & a fraction of our Air Force -> BOOM, blowout...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Won't work...

The US military derives it's power not from individual riflemen, but from heavy equipment & advanced technology.

The small militias would get steamrolled by any opposing force with armor, air, or heavy artillery support. Just look at the insurgents in Iraq: they may manage to kill a few soldiers in Humvees, but whenever they run up against a bunch of M1s or Bradleys, we see astronomical kill rates.

The system we have is the best one for the country. It has, after all, produced the best military force in the history of the world, after all...

I dont disagree with you, but.... if the shit hits the fan and the country goes into complete chaos a civilian militia would be our only chance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There aren't 100 million service-aged males in this country, red...

The population (all ages & genders) is only ~230mil, after all...

Better to have a 700,000 strong, tech & tank-heavy army than a human-wave militia force.  

For another example, see US vs Iraq, round #1.

3 million man army vs a few divisions of US armor & a fraction of our Air Force -> BOOM, blowout...

We have about 300 million people in the country. I picked the 100 million number because roughly half would be under 16 (you dont need to be 18 to be in a militia) and women could serve too after all we are in the age of equality.  And people could serve in the militia until they were at least 50 years old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top